Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

prom candy posted:

How do the air pods pro compare to the beats x? Thinking about making the leap

the audio quality's really great and the general convenience factor (the auto-pause, switching between devices, the battery life of the case, controls etc) is excellent. the noise cancellation is great as well.

my main issue with them is reliability. i've taken them in 3 times in a year to be replaced because one of them started making a crackling sound. granted I'm not exactly babying them, but this is a known issue that a lot of people have had. i think it might be a result of water or something getting in through the 'vent' they have over time and damaging/blocking things up. hard to say though. the noise cancellation is also amazing at first but does diminish in effectiveness over time. this isn't a placebo; on one occasion they just replaced one and you can hear how much more effective the new one is than the old one. this is a problem most noise cancelling headphones exhibit though.

so applecare probably recommended, but at this point i'd probably just get the standard airpods and save yourself some potential trouble (unless you really need the noise cancellation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I’ll just chime in and say I really love my powerbeats pro but I’m a weirdo that the Apple earbud form factor has never worked for.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dogen posted:

I’ll just chime in and say I really love my powerbeats pro but I’m a weirdo that the Apple earbud form factor has never worked for.

Same.

My PBP are the best headphones I've used, and I use them every day, but my right one's battery does die quicker after 15 months or whatever.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My experience so far is great. Everything is fast and smooth and all previous tasks are better.

I’ve never really played games before because most of them didn’t interest me. Since this new processor is bonkers I thought I’d try a game. I’ve since added Thumper (amazing) and Stardew Valley (soothing) to my ever-reliable NYT crossword app. So the pattern is psychedelic, slow-ish with puzzles I guess? Any other recommendations?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

6' Anker USB-C to Lightning charging cable for tenbux
https://slickdeals.net/f/14468276-anker-powerline-ii-usb-c-to-lightning-cable-6ft-white-apple-mfi-certified-for-9-99-ac-fsss

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

My experience so far is great. Everything is fast and smooth and all previous tasks are better.

I’ve never really played games before because most of them didn’t interest me. Since this new processor is bonkers I thought I’d try a game. I’ve since added Thumper (amazing) and Stardew Valley (soothing) to my ever-reliable NYT crossword app. So the pattern is psychedelic, slow-ish with puzzles I guess? Any other recommendations?

genshin impact

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I've got my first ever iPhone coming in a few days. I'm really excited, but I'm also not sure how easily I can get stuff from my Android phone to my new iPhone. I've got the "Move to iOS" app installed and ready for when the new phone arrives, but it's got extremely mixed reviews. Does anyone have some tips for making the switch easier?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Regarding Dolby Vision, are there actually any editing tools that can deal with it properly? Dolby is typically the sort of company that gauges you with license fees for content creation things.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

im on the net me boys posted:

I've got my first ever iPhone coming in a few days. I'm really excited, but I'm also not sure how easily I can get stuff from my Android phone to my new iPhone. I've got the "Move to iOS" app installed and ready for when the new phone arrives, but it's got extremely mixed reviews. Does anyone have some tips for making the switch easier?

What stuff are you trying to move?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Endless Mike posted:

What stuff are you trying to move?

I'd like to move my contacts and try to automate redownloading apps I use as much as possible. I'm also subscribed to >50 podcasts and I'd like to not have to manually resubscribe if I can help it.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

Regarding Dolby Vision, are there actually any editing tools that can deal with it properly? Dolby is typically the sort of company that gauges you with license fees for content creation things.

iMovie certainly can.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd like to move my contacts and try to automate redownloading apps I use as much as possible. I'm also subscribed to >50 podcasts and I'd like to not have to manually resubscribe if I can help it.

Contacts should be in a cloud somewhere (be it Google or whoever) and you can just add that directly. Can't help with podcasts, but if you're using a multi-platform app, it might just be as simple as signing in.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I've never tried it, but I'm pretty sure the "Move to iOS" app (or whatever it's called!) will attempt to redownload as many apps as it can find. Be prepared to be boned on the podcast subs, though. You should write those down just in case.

Contacts can absolutely be transferred. Going forward, you can use your free 5GB iCloud account to automatically back up small data such as this, and should be enough for basic routine backups. If you end up with a sizeable photo library (or otherwise just want to fully cloud-backup,) upgrading to 50GB is only $0.99 a month.

I've seen a lot of people talk poorly about the native podcast app in the past few years, but it's okay, because Overcast is an excellent replacement. I've never touched the native app.

enojy fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 26, 2020

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I can't help with the others but contacts is easy - set up your google account with the mail app, and only sync your contacts. This should backfill them into your contacts list. You can obviously use the mail app for gmail too, you just only need the contacts for this.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

vyst posted:

I can't help with the others but contacts is easy - set up your google account with the mail app, and only sync your contacts. This should backfill them into your contacts list. You can obviously use the mail app for gmail too, you just only need the contacts for this.

Oh hell yeah, that helps a ton.

As far as podcasts go I currently use RadioPublic which exports subscription files but I'm not sure if it'll work on the iPhone since it doesn't have a file browser, does it?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh hell yeah, that helps a ton.

As far as podcasts go I currently use RadioPublic which exports subscription files but I'm not sure if it'll work on the iPhone since it doesn't have a file browser, does it?

It does now! Since iOS 12 or 13, I believe. The "Files" app gives you a familiar file browser that allows access to your iCloud Drive as well as local storage. It has been fully-featured enough for my use, but I don't know the limitations. For example, it may not act as a simple external drive if plugged into a Windows computer. I've been living on my phone and Macbook for 5 or 6 years now, so that kind of activity just doesn't come up these days.

If you can export an "OPML" file, Overcast will let you import that. Sorry, no clue what an OPML file is, and if it includes subscriptions or not!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is the iPhone Mini camera the same as the 12? I’m coming from the X, but I assume that from the reviews that I watched, the cameras have a significant upgrade even assuming for the mini.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

enojy posted:

It does now! Since iOS 12 or 13, I believe. The "Files" app gives you a familiar file browser that allows access to your iCloud Drive as well as local storage. It has been fully-featured enough for my use, but I don't know the limitations. For example, it may not act as a simple external drive if plugged into a Windows computer. I've been living on my phone and Macbook for 5 or 6 years now, so that kind of activity just doesn't come up these days.

If you can export an "OPML" file, Overcast will let you import that. Sorry, no clue what an OPML file is, and if it includes subscriptions or not!

Yeah the OMPL is how podcast apps I've used before handle subscriptions. If RadioPublic is on iOS I'll still use it, if not I'll try overcast.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Generic Monk posted:

the audio quality's really great and the general convenience factor (the auto-pause, switching between devices, the battery life of the case, controls etc) is excellent. the noise cancellation is great as well.

my main issue with them is reliability. i've taken them in 3 times in a year to be replaced because one of them started making a crackling sound. granted I'm not exactly babying them, but this is a known issue that a lot of people have had. i think it might be a result of water or something getting in through the 'vent' they have over time and damaging/blocking things up. hard to say though. the noise cancellation is also amazing at first but does diminish in effectiveness over time. this isn't a placebo; on one occasion they just replaced one and you can hear how much more effective the new one is than the old one. this is a problem most noise cancelling headphones exhibit though.

so applecare probably recommended, but at this point i'd probably just get the standard airpods and save yourself some potential trouble (unless you really need the noise cancellation)

good to know, i'll get the applecare. i definitely want the ANC and also i've tried regular airpods and they don't stay in my ears very well.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I love my AirPod pros but the last week or so they stay connected to my devices even within the case closed draining the power.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

I love my AirPod pros but the last week or so they stay connected to my devices even within the case closed draining the power.

There may be lint or dirt preventing the charging contacts from actually making contact. Have you cleaned the Airpods and the case?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Settings. Click name at top. Password and security. You can edit trusted phone numbers there. You didn't give much information but remember two factor works off trusted devices and trusted phone numbers. With the latter being a request for a verification code through SMS or voice call. You have to tell it to send a code that method because it pings trusted devices first. If it was a new phone or restored phone that's not a trusted device so you would need to get that code through the phone number. If you can give more info on what made you swap the SIM card let me know.
Basically it was an escalation of problems where the person broke her phone, then got locked out of her iCloud account when we tried using my wife's old phone as a loaner.

I wanted to see what would happen if I just popped her SIM card in MY old phone, which I didn't bother wiping since since she'd be unable to log in to iCloud for 24 hours anyway. Basically to see if she could just make and receive calls/texts while she got her main phone sorted out. I immediately got an alert on my main phone asking if I wanted to associate her phone number with my iCloud/iMessage. I declined, and then popped the SIM out of my old phone.

I did check the phone # associations on my current and old phone under the iCloud settings... looks like I'm in the clear there. Just hoping I didn't create some new device/account association on the carrier level or something, if that's a thing.

In any case, thanks for this OP. I'll look into the trusted phone number settings too!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Is the iPhone Mini camera the same as the 12? I’m coming from the X, but I assume that from the reviews that I watched, the cameras have a significant upgrade even assuming for the mini.

As far as I can tell, the 12 mini is exactly the same as the regular 12 aside from the display size and the battery. The cameras should be the same.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sounds like you need Apple's 20W wall charger to get the full 15W charging speeds out of the MagSafe charger?
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/10/26/magsafe-charger-needs-20w-power-adapter

Everything I read about this makes it seem more lovely. Probably going to cancel my order.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Sounds like you need Apple's 20W wall charger to get the full 15W charging speeds out of the MagSafe charger?
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/10/26/magsafe-charger-needs-20w-power-adapter

Everything I read about this makes it seem more lovely. Probably going to cancel my order.

I got the new Anker Nano 20W charger which probably uses the same power profile as the Apple one. Will be interesting to see if it offers the full 15W for the magsafe charger.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I have like 3 anker/Aukey usb-c 30W+ chargers laying around the house because I’m an idiot that buys them when they go on deep discounts even though I have barely anything that could use them. MagSafe was designed with me in mind.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I have like 3 anker/Aukey usb-c 30W+ chargers laying around the house because I’m an idiot that buys them when they go on deep discounts even though I have barely anything that could use them. MagSafe was designed with me in mind.

Just because your charger is >15W, doesn't mean that it's going to charge at 15W. It looks like it has to be a certain power profile, which naturally, Apple did not disclose. I bought one of those Aukey 65W chargers mentioned in the article and it only gets 8/9W on the MagSafe charger.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just because your charger is >15W, doesn't mean that it's going to charge at 15W. It looks like it has to be a certain power profile, which naturally, Apple did not disclose. I bought one of those Aukey 65W chargers mentioned in the article and it only gets 8/9W on the MagSafe charger.

That’s fantastically lovely and very Apple.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I love usb-c "standards"

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Seems like all of my GaN chargers, ranging from the 60W anker to the tiny rav power one that's about as big as the square apple 5W charger, can do 9V/2A/18W charging just fine :shrug: verified with a usb-c sniffer too.

Ironically the port on the MBP 16 is stuck at 5v/3a.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Only the Max has the camera upgrades I want, so I'll be keeping the 11 at least one more year.

It's still a very good phone.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The iPhone 12 Mini is definitely postponed to get more people to buy the 12/12 Pro model out right now right?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

buglord posted:

The iPhone 12 Mini is definitely postponed to get more people to buy the 12/12 Pro model out right now right?

Weird cause I feel like the Pro Max and the mini are the most interesting of the bunch. One for it’s camera features and the other cause small phone supremacy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

Apple usually does have longer manufacture times with new screen sizes, so I don’t think the 2 phones with newer screen sizes: the Mini and the Max, being delayed a month is them planning it. I legit think it is taking them longer to make.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Seems like people have forgotten when the X first came out there was a 2 month delay between the launch for 8 in mid Sept and the launch of X in early Nov.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

To be fair basically every manufacturer ever does not give you enough detail to tell whether charger A or power bank B will work with laptop C or phone D.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I miss 3D touch, gboard let you move your cursor from the keyboard by 3D touching and dragging and now without it fixing typos is a huge pain in the rear end :smith:

Edit: I guess you can do something similar by swiping back and forth on the space bar, but I still miss the 3D touch version

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

18W is the most we can fast charge an iPhone via USB-C right? Wondering if I should get something more for my XS.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Jose Valasquez posted:

I miss 3D touch, gboard let you move your cursor from the keyboard by 3D touching and dragging and now without it fixing typos is a huge pain in the rear end :smith:

Edit: I guess you can do something similar by swiping back and forth on the space bar, but I still miss the 3D touch version

Unless gboard has disabled a system-level thing, you can still move the cursor around like before. Instead of force touching to get the cursor you just long press. If you have haptics turned on it should buzz.

E: I'm not sure if we're talking about the same gestures. I've always 3D touched the keyboard area with my thumb to move the cursor and in iOS 14 I can still do that with long pressing. The swipe left/right over text thing is new to me but unless I'm copying or pasting something into a text field I almost never touch the actual text anyway.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Apple usually does have longer manufacture times with new screen sizes, so I don’t think the 2 phones with newer screen sizes: the Mini and the Max, being delayed a month is them planning it. I legit think it is taking them longer to make.

Yeah they are legit cranking out hundreds of millions of these, they simply can’t make 3 different screen sizes and satisfy demand at launch.

Then again I’m one of those weirdos who buys their phone mid cycle anyways so what do I know.

coke posted:

Seems like people have forgotten when the X first came out there was a 2 month delay between the launch for 8 in mid Sept and the launch of X in early Nov.

XR as well, and then it went on to be the best selling phone of the cycle.