Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Buff Hardback posted:

The wireless dongle still requires Carplay in your vehicle which requires SYNC 3. The 14 Explorer only came with MyFordTouch, not SYNC 3, so you'd be looking at a ~1500-1900 dollar upgrade kit (https://www.4dtech.com/14-15-ford-explorer-sync-3-upgrade-for-myford-touch/) (price difference based on whether or not you want native navigation or not), then you could use the wireless carplay dongle with that car.

Ooof. Nah, I'm good. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

TraderStav posted:

Ooof. Nah, I'm good. Thank you!

Sadly yeah, without Sync 3, there's no chance of you getting Carplay in the Explorer.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Using Photos, I optimize my phone storage given the number of photos. However, there’s a specific folder of videos (of my son) that I want available offline (in airplane mode) so he can watch them on a plane. Is there a way to make sure those videos in an album remain downloaded to the phone? I can use another app if necessary. I don’t want everything downloaded to the phone because I do not have enough space.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Alec Eiffel posted:

Using Photos, I optimize my phone storage given the number of photos. However, there’s a specific folder of videos (of my son) that I want available offline (in airplane mode) so he can watch them on a plane. Is there a way to make sure those videos in an album remain downloaded to the phone? I can use another app if necessary. I don’t want everything downloaded to the phone because I do not have enough space.

open the album in photos.app, tap select in the top right, then select all. hit the share button in the bottom left, choose “save to files” and put them somewhere in “on my iphone”

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Another week without 14.5. Gettin’ real frustrated. I want to know if the performance boost on the 12’s is true or if I can sell this garbage phone or at least ask for a replacement and see if that helps. Do the replacement Apple Refurbished phones have the same resale value?

I already tried the beta and it made the performance even worse, just like the betas have every time I’ve ever tried.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Another week without 14.5. Gettin’ real frustrated. I want to know if the performance boost on the 12’s is true or if I can sell this garbage phone or at least ask for a replacement and see if that helps. Do the replacement Apple Refurbished phones have the same resale value?

I already tried the beta and it made the performance even worse, just like the betas have every time I’ve ever tried.

is there something faster than the 12 that you can get on the market right now? as it's using similar cores as the m1 which is faster than the latest amd ryzen stuff clock for clock or even perf/watt while crushing anything from intel

what are you doing on the phone

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Artom account spotted

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

coke posted:

is there something faster than the 12 that you can get on the market right now? as it's using similar cores as the m1 which is faster than the latest amd ryzen stuff clock for clock or even perf/watt while crushing anything from intel

op, you're referring to the xbox

depending on which one you may have the wrong ram

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

I have no experience with IOS 14.5 or any of its betas, but I am 1000% certain that it will fix none of the issues with your phone and you should sell it as soon as possible.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I just want AirTags so I can quit losing my wallet

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I feel like it’s very unlikely that 14.5 will have any different performance than the latest beta so OP is bound to be disappointed.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

coke posted:

he kept posting about framerates or something in the thread, like being able to see screen transitions? idk it didn't make much sense to me

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

yeah I think that guy is just insane or overly sensitive to ... something every one of his phones is doing?

I know this is a pretty frivolous complaint, but then the whole point of the iPhone is that it's a frivolous luxury anyway. I just upgraded to an iPhone SE from a 5. I've noticed a fair share of dropped frames and stuttering in animations and screen transitions. My iPhone 5 did this somewhat since iOS 8, but I figured it was from being an older device. The SE, though, is basically a 6S. Shouldn't everything be very smooth?

I did restore a backup of the 5 to this phone, so tonight I am going to restore this phone as a new iPhone and see if that helps.

So, I got an iPhone 8, upgrading from the SE, but I'm a little bit disappointed in the performance. You would think that the fastest phone on the market wouldn't have frame drops, skips, and hangs on the transition animations and scrolling and such, but it does and seems to happen fairly frequently. It honestly doesn't feel any smoother of an experience than the SE. I upgraded to 11.2.5 and then also tried a restore process. But, I also have a tendency to overly scrutinize things that I spend a lot of money on, so before I go to the Apple store, does this sound normal and maybe I'm just paying way too close attention to the little details? The Geekbench benchmark test shows it within standard numbers for the 8/8+/X.

Good to see I'm not alone. I actually may return the phone, which apparently you can do at the Apple Store within 14 days. It might be nitpicky, but the iPhone is supposed to be a luxury item and just navigating around the phone is supposed to be smooth and pleasing. A $700 phone should not feel like operating a low to mid range phone.

A few pages ago I was posting about being upset with the performance if the iPhone 8, but, after giving it some time, yeah I was just :spergin: over nothing. I always need to remind myself that any time you run a restore process, and sometimes update processes, iOS will be a little choppy for a few days.

Edit: But :spergin: some more, I believe it's possible that turning off True Tone may be improving the visual effect performance.

So here's what finally made my iPhone 8 work well. When I initially got the phone two months ago I set it up as new, but restored my photo library from iCloud. Ever since I got it the performance seemed to suffer and it was choppy and stuttery at times. I even exchanged the first one I got, and did a few restore attempts on the second one. Finally I decided, after backing up my photo library to a hard drive, to delete the entire thing, then create a fresh backup, then restore through iTunes using that backup with the blank camera roll. Somehow this seems to have worked and the phone is working pretty great now. I had about 8 gigs of photos (not including videos) going back about 5 years and three different iPhones. This doesn't seem like it should have been enough to affect anything but there's definitely a noticeable difference in the phone's performance.

If iOS 12 doesn’t improve performance then I’ll be ditching my iPhone 8 for the Google Pixel 3 which will most likely be awesome. First android since 2012. However, they are saying performance is a major focus so I hope this is true.

So, aside from the issue I'm having, three weeks into having the 12 Pro, coming from iPhone 8, my initial thoughts: slightly underwhelmed. I swear my 8 was more fluid, although I do remember thinking the same thing for the first few months when I upgraded from the original SE to the 8. This was my first time getting the full-on newest flagship, and, I dunno, I guess its hard not to expect a $1000 phone, the most powerful phone on the market, to be flawless, and be slightly letdown when it isn't. If there's one thing I strongly wish it had, that would be a 90hz or 120hz refresh rate. A friend of mine was shocked that the 12 Pro didn't have a higher refresh rate, and my initial reaction was to say that it doesn't really make much of a difference. However, after then seeing 120hz on the Galaxy S20 and even 90hz on the Pixel 5, it really does make a difference in how smooth and nice the phone feels to operate. It also makes scrolling text clearer to read. I wish the 12 Pro had this and some sort of "use more power to ensure best possible visual performance" mode because it has more than enough battery capacity to spare.

iPhone 12/Pro seems to frequently drop the OS UI down to 30 FPS though. I don’t care if it’s not important, it looks cheap and this is a premium phone and the fastest phone on the market. It should not do this.

Step 1: go to Best Buy
2: play with Samsung flagships
3: scroll text
4: see what you’re missing

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

im on the net me boys posted:

I just want AirTags so I can quit losing my wallet

Tiles got pretty bad but have righted the ship now that they have some competition from Cube and fear of AirTags in the future if you want to try those out.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Hahahaha oh gently caress. So yeah about all that, yes I am insane and have moderately severe OCD! I'm also probably really sensitive to noticing framerates, minor changes, and whatnot. BUT all of them eventually DID improve with an iOS update at some point and I had no complaints afterward when it finally happened. I distinctly remember iOS 12.0 instantly improving the iPhone 8 and it was glass smooth for the remainder of my time with it, so to go from that back to choppiness on the 12 Pro, the most I've ever spent on a phone, has been frustrating. Sorry, I'll stop bitching about it now.

For the record, iOS 12 brought notable documented performance improvements across the board so it's not like its unheard of for an iOS update to improve performance on even a new phone.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I feel like it has to be some rogue app or process or something if you get noticeable (like genuinely noticeable at all) choppiness on a 12 Pro. No idea what I could be or what apps could even do this, but it definitely doesn’t sound like expected behavior.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

LODGE NORTH posted:

I feel like it has to be some rogue app or process or something if you get noticeable (like genuinely noticeable at all) choppiness on a 12 Pro. No idea what I could be or what apps could even do this, but it definitely doesn’t sound like expected behavior.

I've thought of this possibility, but the most obscure app I use is probably Something Awful.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I've thought of this possibility, but the most obscure app I use is probably Something Awful.

It could even be the more well known ones too. Just for the sake of comparison, up until relatively recently, Chrome on macOS was a huuuuuge memory hog for people with more than maybe five tabs open. I’m not sure what apps you have that could produce the same kinda slow down on iOS - I’m not even sure if apps ave the ability to slow down iOS in the same way macOS can slow down - but it might be worth starting from the top and seeing if you see any changes in performance. Like, see if you could make a backup and then spend a day on a freshly restored phone using the web for everything you can.

The more I think about possible things, the more wild it gets since I have absolutely no idea what could be causing it, but it’s definitely not a normal thing. Not on a 12 Pro at least. If you had these problems on a 7 or 8, sure.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The awful app doesn’t do anything in the background. It’s probably a social media/messaging app. Those are always running stuff in the background. Could even be a 3rd party email app if you’re using one.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Hahahaha oh gently caress. So yeah about all that, yes I am insane and have moderately severe OCD! I'm also probably really sensitive to noticing framerates, minor changes, and whatnot. BUT all of them eventually DID improve with an iOS update at some point and I had no complaints afterward when it finally happened. I distinctly remember iOS 12.0 instantly improving the iPhone 8 and it was glass smooth for the remainder of my time with it, so to go from that back to choppiness on the 12 Pro, the most I've ever spent on a phone, has been frustrating. Sorry, I'll stop bitching about it now.

For the record, iOS 12 brought notable documented performance improvements across the board so it's not like its unheard of for an iOS update to improve performance on even a new phone.

I'm kinda OCD too but I do take steps to ensure the iOS is running as smooth as possible by:

Update all apps manually every morning and then swipe away every app and do a reboot by holding down the volume up and lock button.
Ensure background app thing is disabled and limit every single app's location service by only allowing location service 'while using'.

The thing that made the most difference is probably doing a clean iOS install every year when the new version drops by doing the DFU restore with the command/alt+shift firmware restore and then not restore from backup at all. All my photos are backed up by connecting to a computer and then mirrored into multiple drives anyway so :shrug:

This way you trim away the garbage apps that you haven't used forever while not having any legacy stuff built up over time.

Also plug in the power while I do the app update/reboot and not letting it charge over 80% and not letting it drop down below 40%. Charge with a 5V/500mA charger or the 5V/1A tiny white square iphone charger to minimize battery degradation from high current charging. Also if I'm doing something cpu intensive on the phone, it will be plugged in to maximize battery longevity.

On a similar note, never leave the phone on cellular when I'm in wifi range and use airplane mode with wifi turned on and wifi calling. Then turn off wifi with settings menu and re-enable cellular data when I'm out of wifi range to minimize load on the modem/battery usage.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

coke posted:

I'm kinda OCD too but I do take steps to ensure the iOS is running as smooth as possible by:

Update all apps manually every morning and then swipe away every app and do a reboot by holding down the volume up and lock button.
Ensure background app thing is disabled and limit every single app's location service by only allowing location service 'while using'.

The thing that made the most difference is probably doing a clean iOS install every year when the new version drops by doing the DFU restore with the command/alt+shift firmware restore and then not restore from backup at all. All my photos are backed up by connecting to a computer and then mirrored into multiple drives anyway so :shrug:

This way you trim away the garbage apps that you haven't used forever while not having any legacy stuff built up over time.

Also plug in the power while I do the app update/reboot and not letting it charge over 80% and not letting it drop down below 40%. Charge with a 5V/500mA charger or the 5V/1A tiny white square iphone charger to minimize battery degradation from high current charging. Also if I'm doing something cpu intensive on the phone, it will be plugged in to maximize battery longevity.

On a similar note, never leave the phone on cellular when I'm in wifi range and use airplane mode with wifi turned on and wifi calling. Then turn off wifi with settings menu and re-enable cellular data when I'm out of wifi range to minimize load on the modem/battery usage.

This is violence and I’m calling the proper authorities.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
99.9% of that is totally unnecessary and I hope no one actually does any of that.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
well i never had any dropped frames even though i’m used to 160+ hz on desktop and my battery health is still at 100 after about half year of usage so :colbert:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Jose Oquendo posted:

99.9% of that is totally unnecessary and I hope no one actually does any of that.

For what it's worth, I do think there is at least some benefit to starting with a fresh install, at the very least when you get a new phone. At work I end up seeing a lot of people's phones as I assist them with stuff and some people on 11's and 12's have phones that look so choppy that mine seems flawless in comparison. I'd guess that these people are using a backup going back a decade. But then I'm sure other people do this and have no issues to report, so mileage may vary. When you trim the fat though, you'll probably be surprised of how little storage space you actually need with a brand new phone on a fresh install. You also might develop a new way to organize the phone or something that you like better as opposed to having your new phone look just like your old phone. It's also not as tedious of a process as you might think, as iCloud does all of the heavy lifting and the App Store has a list of all the apps you have downloaded before. You can just go down the list and tap what you want.

I reboot my phone and swipe away all the apps once every few days. Many people are still in the habit of doing this continuously and all that does is drain your battery faster.

I haven't seen any performance change with Background App Refresh on or off whatsoever, but I see slightly more battery drain with it on so I leave it off. Actually, I can't even really pinpoint any difference in app behavior, it seems the same with it on or off.

As far as charging, I left my iPhone 8 plugged in overnight pretty much every night with Optimized Battery Charging enabled and after almost 3 years my battery health was still at 91%. :shrug:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
What the gently caress are you two smoking and how do I make sure I never come across it?

I thought I acted like my time is entirely worthless.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

endlessmonotony posted:

What the gently caress are you two smoking and how do I make sure I never come across it?

I thought I acted like my time is entirely worthless.

If you are posting on SA, your time , like mine, is probably worthless don’t worry.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

coke posted:

Yeah i left Android so i wouldn't have to do this poo poo no thanks

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

coke posted:

Nice :lol:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Duckman2008 posted:

If you are posting on SA, your time , like mine, is probably worthless don’t worry.

Like I said, I thought I acted my time was entirely worthless.

But I could be farting or grinding goblin butts instead of whatever the hell that is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I legit want more specifics on these alleged frame drops when scrolling text. Like do you need to record the screen at 1000 fps to spot them or is it constant microstutters when swiping through an enormous page of text?

Because I need to understand how deep down the rabbit hole we are here.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Please get the Samsung so I never have to scroll past another long post about dropping frames or whatever.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I pick up my phone and use it and then put it down when I’m done

I think I’m on the same rolling backup from the iPhone 4

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

FCKGW posted:

Hard same. No issues here that I’ve ever noticed. I’d imagine what we do is what 98% of people with phones do and Apple has accounted for that by now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

14.5 will most assuredly drop on Tuesday after the event, and will add the 800kHz refresh option for all phones going back to the 3GS.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

FCKGW posted:

Likewise.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I was hoping for AirTags to launch for the last 8 months so I could finally quit losing my car keys but then I bought a car that lets me use my iPhone as a key, so checkmate Tim

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The fact that you can have two of the exact same phone model but from two different users and one will be a faster, smoother experience than the other shows that there is some merit in how you maintain and use the phone. You can call it obsessive and I won't disagree, but also this is a forum full of nerds and a lot of us are going to obsess over our tech devices.

vyst posted:

Yeah i left Android so i wouldn't have to do this poo poo no thanks

It's not 2012 anymore and you don't have to do this stuff on Android either.

xzzy posted:

I legit want more specifics on these alleged frame drops when scrolling text. Like do you need to record the screen at 1000 fps to spot them or is it constant microstutters when swiping through an enormous page of text?

Because I need to understand how deep down the rabbit hole we are here.

I think you guys are confusing posters. I was only complaining about framerate drops, I didn't post an obsessive list of micro-managing the phone. What I'm seeing on the 12 Pro is any movement on the screen often drops down to an obvious 30 FPS or lower. Like how in certain mobile games you can turn on battery saver or something and it'll render the game at 30 FPS instead of 60. When I departed with my iPhone 8 it wasn't doing this, it was glass smooth 60 FPS at all times. I just want it to look as good as my old phone did. Anyways, I said I'd shut up about it so I will.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

14.5 will most assuredly drop on Tuesday after the event, and will add the 800kHz refresh option for all phones going back to the 3GS.

gently caress yeah! I knew it would be worth the wait!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

coke posted:

i don’t do any of this stuff and my phone works perfectly. hth

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Please get the Samsung so I never have to scroll past another long post about dropping frames or whatever.

Thankfully you won’t be able to scroll past because the frames on your iPhone will move to slow to be able to scroll past it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Gonna bookmark these pages for next Fall when the iPhone 13 has a 120hz refresh rate and y'all are posting about how much better it looks and how you can't go back to 60hz phones.