Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah backing up before Windows updates is a pretty reasonable thing. That's not a fresh install every update though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

given theres been a few win10 updates that have nuked the user profile folder, this isnt such a terrible idea tbh.

Legit.

I had a windows update nuke my computer hard.

Itís the wildest thing Iíve seen in years.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Trying to determine when I'm going to upgrade as well. My launch XS is still going strong with no complaints (ok..well..the battery is down to 82%....I guess that's one complaint). The 12 would have been my next phone to buy on my 2-year upgrade cycle, but I didn't see anything to make it worth the upgrade. The only things I'm really looking forward to at this point are no-notch and under-glass TouchID. And the latest rumors say that those aren't coming until probably the 2023 phone. But I don't know if I want to ride this XS out for another 2.5 years.

I guess the form factor upgrade to the iPhone 13 will be nice...

Depends on what is important, but the camera jump from the XS to the 11 Pro was huge to me, and Iím not a camera person. The XS was the one iPhone that was a bit of a meh upgrade when I look back at it.

Not sure about the regular 12 compared to the XS camera , but the 12 Pro def is also a drat good camera and worth upgrading from the XS. So personally, I would absolutely recommend a 12 Pro from a XS.

Btw, carriers are running off and on aggressive promos if you are in the US. A lot of Verizon customers are getting $579-700 trade ins on phones , albeit there are certain plan requirements. I would check around.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

THERE IS NO PLANET B

the camera in the 12 is leaps and bounds better than the camera in the XS.

the camera in the XS is like one of those cheap pen spy cameras at night in terms of noise.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's overstating it a bit, the XS still has a great camera and it blows away any iphone camera that came before it. There's just a ton of development being dumped into phone cameras and they make great improvements every year.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible.

xzzy posted:

That's overstating it a bit, the XS still has a great camera and it blows away any iphone camera that came before it. There's just a ton of development being dumped into phone cameras and they make great improvements every year.

Yeah, this is always weird to me. I have an XS and the camera is great. I use it to take random pics and pictures of my cats. It does that perfectly. When I want to take a "real" pic, I get my real camera with a lens that isn't microscopic.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I do tech for my small school and one of the teachers backs up all of her files before every windows update.

It blew my mind.

Almost as good as keeping their files backed up regardless of whether there were windows updates or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I both agree with this, and will still say that , having owned every iPhone since the 4S, the most noticeable year by year camera jump for me that I remember was the XS to the 11 Pro.

It could be 100% psychological. But it seemed to just take much better real looking pictures and without me having to fiddle with any settings in addition to that.