Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah backing up before Windows updates is a pretty reasonable thing. That's not a fresh install every update though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Laserface posted:

given theres been a few win10 updates that have nuked the user profile folder, this isnt such a terrible idea tbh.

Legit.

I had a windows update nuke my computer hard.

It’s the wildest thing I’ve seen in years.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Trying to determine when I'm going to upgrade as well. My launch XS is still going strong with no complaints (ok..well..the battery is down to 82%....I guess that's one complaint). The 12 would have been my next phone to buy on my 2-year upgrade cycle, but I didn't see anything to make it worth the upgrade. The only things I'm really looking forward to at this point are no-notch and under-glass TouchID. And the latest rumors say that those aren't coming until probably the 2023 phone. But I don't know if I want to ride this XS out for another 2.5 years.

I guess the form factor upgrade to the iPhone 13 will be nice...

Depends on what is important, but the camera jump from the XS to the 11 Pro was huge to me, and I’m not a camera person. The XS was the one iPhone that was a bit of a meh upgrade when I look back at it.

Not sure about the regular 12 compared to the XS camera , but the 12 Pro def is also a drat good camera and worth upgrading from the XS. So personally, I would absolutely recommend a 12 Pro from a XS.

Btw, carriers are running off and on aggressive promos if you are in the US. A lot of Verizon customers are getting $579-700 trade ins on phones , albeit there are certain plan requirements. I would check around.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the camera in the 12 is leaps and bounds better than the camera in the XS.

the camera in the XS is like one of those cheap pen spy cameras at night in terms of noise.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's overstating it a bit, the XS still has a great camera and it blows away any iphone camera that came before it. There's just a ton of development being dumped into phone cameras and they make great improvements every year.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

xzzy posted:

That's overstating it a bit, the XS still has a great camera and it blows away any iphone camera that came before it. There's just a ton of development being dumped into phone cameras and they make great improvements every year.

Yeah, this is always weird to me. I have an XS and the camera is great. I use it to take random pics and pictures of my cats. It does that perfectly. When I want to take a "real" pic, I get my real camera with a lens that isn't microscopic.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I do tech for my small school and one of the teachers backs up all of her files before every windows update.

It blew my mind.

Almost as good as keeping their files backed up regardless of whether there were windows updates or not.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I both agree with this, and will still say that , having owned every iPhone since the 4S, the most noticeable year by year camera jump for me that I remember was the XS to the 11 Pro.

It could be 100% psychological. But it seemed to just take much better real looking pictures and without me having to fiddle with any settings in addition to that.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I've had every non-S iphone since the 3G, then went from the 7 to the XS and the camera was a step back clarity and performance.

the 12s camera is really good, multiple times better than the XS camera in every regard.

the transition to computational photography that happened after the 7/8 didnt work out that well, but its paying off now that its matured.

night mode is incredible, and even more fun when you forget to hold the camera still for the exposure.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah the camera jump from X to 12 was mind blowing for me. Low light is incredible.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'm still amazed at the posters here who constantly wipe their phone and somehow find the 12 Pro slow.

I've been using the same backup since the 5S and I don't think I've ever wiped my phone apart from when I've sold or traded in the old one.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'd do a clean wipe if I didn't have a zillion apps, all with separate logins, my google mail/calendars synched, my work exchange stuff, general settings, notification settings, etc. That would take like a full day of dicking around to get it back to where it was, if not longer.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'd do a clean wipe if I didn't have a zillion apps, all with separate logins, my google mail/calendars synched, my work exchange stuff, general settings, notification settings, etc. That would take like a full day of dicking around to get it back to where it was, if not longer.

I know, I've posted in this thread the same thing before. I think when I get a week off work coming up at some point I'll burn a day and do it.

It's gonna make my 11 Pro buttery smooth probably.

Plus I can clear my camera roll since I have everything on Gphotos anyway.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 20, 2021

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sorry boss, can’t come in today. I gotta wipe my phone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lol if you aren't doing that at your desk on the company clock

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Event thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3965529

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
When I got my 12 Pro I set it up as new. Getting everything you want back doesn't really take that long as long as you were already fully utilizing iCloud. A good portion of your setting will still be intact, along with most of your login info. The App Store has a list of every app you've "owned" so you can just quickly go through the list and tap the cloud icon on everything you want. It takes, maybe an hour, two max? It's in no way something you should be doing with iOS updates, but I strongly feel that it's worth it for a new phone. If you do this you'll probably find you didn't need to spend an extra $300 for the 512 GB models too.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
The last few times I've just done the weird swirly round qr code thingy when going to a new phone and it's 'Just worked' for me.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
e: ^^^ yeah the transfer process is so smooth and slick at this point

Yeah, I used to set up every new phone from scratch, but then one time it took me like a whole day to get everything synced and logged in etc., and I decided I have much better things to do with my time.

But I can’t see any slowness/stuttering on my 12 Pro so maybe I’m an old.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
My only complaint about the 12 Pro is that the battery life is worse than the 11 Pro, noticeably so.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

I really do hope it's AirTags, but I also hope Apple isn't Apple about their pricing. I don't need that many of them, but the thought of having to pay like $200 for a four pack or something would be the main reason I never get any.

I like to believe Apple personally read this before pricing a four pack at $99

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

track day bro! posted:

My only complaint about the 12 Pro is that the battery life is worse than the 11 Pro, noticeably so.

100%

It also doesn’t feel fast enough especially in games to justify the worse battery.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

14.5 out y'all

e: Ok it disappeared when I removed the beta profile. So maybe later?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

14.5 out y'all

e: Ok it disappeared when I removed the beta profile. So maybe later?
It's the release candidate which you still need to be on the beta profile to get.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah looks like it. I re-installed the profile and am installing 14.5 RC.

So I guess enroll in public beta if you want 14.5 now now now, then uninstall the profile after.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah looks like it. I re-installed the profile and am installing 14.5 RC.

So I guess enroll in public beta if you want 14.5 now now now, then uninstall the profile after.

Yeah you can install the RC now if you want. When the real 14.5 drops next week, you can uninstall the beta profile. If the build number is the same as the RC, nothing to worry about. If it's higher, it will prompt you to install it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Getting ready to do my wipe for 14.5.

It’s a zen thing for me. I know it’s weird.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

track day bro! posted:

The last few times I've just done the weird swirly round qr code thingy when going to a new phone and it's 'Just worked' for me.

:same: It's great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I tried doing the swirly QR code at a restaurant the day I got my XS, and turns out it doesn't work so well without good wifi!

So I had to wait until I got home to do it properly because it's hard to get a non-registered device where I can't access the network details (mac address) on the network at work.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

xzzy posted:

I tried doing the swirly QR code at a restaurant the day I got my XS, and turns out it doesn't work so well without good wifi!

So I had to wait until I got home to do it properly because it's hard to get a non-registered device where I can't access the network details (mac address) on the network at work.

It's on the box I believe (and your scenario is one of the reasons why).

edit: Any word on firmware updates for the AirPods Pro to improve Find My functionality? Something I noticed is that they don't 'wake up' periodically to update its location. It only does so if you open the case (doesn't matter if you actually use them). That definitely sucks for finding them. At least all my other devices will ping occasionally (assuming they are powered on) to update the location.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 21, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Crap, I just got my wife a 12 and now it comes out in purple two weeks later.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

~Coxy posted:

as long as you’re not married to zoe porphyrogenita, you’re probably not on the hook for a new iphone

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
1password users, in the past week or two, has the app stopped detecting what website/app you're using forcing you to type in the name in order to get the login to work?

It's really maddening and can't troubleshoot what is occurring.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

xzzy posted:

I did my XS>12 upgrade like this and it didnt remember any of my app passwords.

full encrypted backup via itunes is still better/faster imo

Tenbux Tincan
Dec 22, 2004

Honk!

~Coxy posted:

You might still be in the return window to make an exchange.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Tenbux Tincan posted:

You might still be in the return window to make an exchange.

iPhone return policy is exactly 14 days from purchase.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Inner Light posted:

iPhone return policy is exactly 14 days from purchase.

Still say it’s worth a shot to ask someone there since this new color just came up.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

~Coxy posted:

If you got her the red or blue one, just buy her some blue or red tinted glasses so it appears purple.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Seen way more posts about 14.5 than most point releases. Is there some killer new feature in it that I’m missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Seen way more posts about 14.5 than most point releases. Is there some killer new feature in it that I’m missing?

Security, the best feature Apple has