Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Dugong posted:

Ah this is the UK. I’ll get an appointment to be safe.

yeah in UK and they require appointments to go in the store for anything, best you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

cage-free egghead posted:

Tofu is open source. I like it except it doesn’t have an export option which will likely cause me headaches down the road.

Thanks for the recommendation, but not being able to back up tokens is a major bummer for the reason you mentioned. I've done some more digging and it turns out Bitwarden can do OTP as well as passwords, so as long as I can find a way to keep my database out of the cloud, I'm going to go with that.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Lol remember this

lmao

really didn't that Jobs came out all ornery, "y'all just holding it wrong."

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Those bumpers are still my favorite iPhone case. Saddle brown leather is a close second.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yes! Those bumpers were great!

Not so sure they’d work now with wireless charging being a thing but I love the simplicity.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Lol remember this

I'm the Appl Bum

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thwomp posted:

Yes! Those bumpers were great!

Not so sure they’d work now with wireless charging being a thing but I love the simplicity.

I really liked them and wished they kept making them for all iphones.

The only lovely thing was I had orange and it eventually went brown over time.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
I recently upgraded from an original SE to the SE 2, and decided to splurge on the Apple silicone case. It seemed expensive, but it's definitely nicer than any of the mall kiosk tier cases I've seen. Between the rounded edge of the screen and the texture of the case, in my hand the phone feels like a slightly bigger version of my all time favorite, the HTC 8X (RIP Windows Phone).

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Is anyone else seeing this munged text in Mail? Seems to be new in 14.5.1

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

gloom posted:

I recently upgraded from an original SE to the SE 2, and decided to splurge on the Apple silicone case. It seemed expensive, but it's definitely nicer than any of the mall kiosk tier cases I've seen. Between the rounded edge of the screen and the texture of the case, in my hand the phone feels like a slightly bigger version of my all time favorite, the HTC 8X (RIP Windows Phone).

I ran into the same experience with a generic case for my 12 and the silicon watch bands. The generic ones are just slightly off in either the dimensions or even the material itself.

On a similar note, are there ANY good 3rd party MagSafe chargers that do the 15W charging?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Chrome is set as my default browser, but "search web" from the lookup menu still opens Safari. Is that how it's supposed to work?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Badly Jester posted:

I just switched from Android and one of the things I can’t really find a good equivalent for is Aegis for 2FA. Are there any good authenticator apps for iOS that are open source and not abandoned like e.g. FreeOTP?

Microsoft Authenticator
https://apps.apple.com/au/app/microsoft-authenticator/id983156458

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

This talk about old apps got me thinking and so I went into my purchase history (goes back to 2008 on my phone). So many old apps I had forgotten about and enjoyed. And a lot of what were the equivalent of tech demos that seemed really wowie zowie at the time (MotionX Poker, Sonic Lighter). There are a few that aren't signed anymore that I kind of miss such as Space Invaders Infinity and Katamari but some that are surprisingly still around like Minigore.

Zippo lighter and light saber accelerometer tech demo apps.

RIP Flight Control, especially 2 player co-op

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Jose Oquendo posted:

I ran into the same experience with a generic case for my 12 and the silicon watch bands. The generic ones are just slightly off in either the dimensions or even the material itself.

On a similar note, are there ANY good 3rd party MagSafe chargers that do the 15W charging?

This one (Amazon us link) has been fine for me for a few weeks - actually using it right now. I don't know if it's truly 15W but it certainly seems to charge at a very similar rate to my Apple Magsafe.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Badly Jester posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, but not being able to back up tokens is a major bummer for the reason you mentioned. I've done some more digging and it turns out Bitwarden can do OTP as well as passwords, so as long as I can find a way to keep my database out of the cloud, I'm going to go with that.

It’s worth noting that Bitwarden’s OTP GUI is a bit of a pain in the iOS app, there’s no option to have a screen of codes like other authenticator apps so you have to search for the individual entry.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask, but if I wanted to give away/sell a pair of AirPods, do I still need to remove them from my iCloud account? They don't show up there.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

I have a 12 pro and it’s probably one of the least impressive upgrades I’ve had in all the years of getting an iPhone.

The 11 pro was amazing because the battery just seemed to last forever.

The 12 just seems pretty meh all in all.

Maybe this is a sign that you need to stop buying the shiniest new toy every year and like, use a phone for at least 3-5 years at the minimum? Hmm?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ijyt posted:

Maybe this is a sign that you need to stop buying the shiniest new toy every year and like, use a phone for at least 3-5 years at the minimum? Hmm?

This isn’t the Android thread.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask, but if I wanted to give away/sell a pair of AirPods, do I still need to remove them from my iCloud account? They don't show up there.

You answered your own question.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

The Dave posted:

This isn’t the Android thread.

Exactly. You don’t need to replace your iPhone every year just to keep getting OS updates. An iPhone is comfortably good for 3 years.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

~Coxy posted:

Zippo lighter and light saber accelerometer tech demo apps.

I literally just tried these since I still have the icons on my iPhone 11.

They don’t work anymore… a message comes up to download them and then says they are unavailable in the App Store. I should probably delete the icons.

RIP

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Alternatively, I “upgraded” from an 11 pro max to a regular 12 and I love it. Beautiful phone, fits much better in my hands (and I’m talking more about the build than the size), battery life is still great, I really like magsafe since I got the fancy Belkin stand with it, and I get pretty consistent 5G in my city which I wasn’t expecting at all. Even without TouchID, I think the 12 is beating out the 8 Plus and 5S for the “my favorite phone of all time” belt.

I avoided the 12 Pro though because I don’t care about the telephoto lens and there didn’t really seem to be any convincing feature to make it worth it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have an 11 Pro and I'll have to see if the 13 has anything better than what I have now before upgrading because it's seriously a needs-suiting phone & camera combo.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

George Kansas posted:

I avoided the 12 Pro though because I don’t care about the telephoto lens and there didn’t really seem to be any convincing feature to make it worth it.
Lidar to 3D scan things! I think someone scanned their cat way earlier in the thread.

(It also does focus assist in low light and helps whatever AR stuff)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

japtor posted:

Lidar to 3D scan things! I think someone scanned their cat way earlier in the thread.

Thankfully I have a new iPad Pro on its way with this so I can continue using the perfect iPhone 12 Mini

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

japtor posted:

(It also does focus assist in low light and helps whatever AR stuff)

Not having the LiDAR sensor is actually a big thing for me, mostly because we're moving into LiDAR stuff at work and it'd be really loving nice to have a LiDAR sensor in my pocket ready to go.

I'm on the IUP now but I've been mulling it over, and honestly I might just outright buy a 13 Pro Max and stick with that for a few years.

Have plenty of time to waffle on that decision though.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

is there anywhere i can go to see all colors of magsafe wallet on all colors of magsafe cases? specifically i would like to see whether the blue or "arizona" wallet looks better with the black leather case

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On the Lidar thing, are there apps that let you scan objects and save in a file format where you could then use it (with some manipulation of course) on a 3d printer?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

On the Lidar thing, are there apps that let you scan objects and save in a file format where you could then use it (with some manipulation of course) on a 3d printer?

I don't know of any apps specifically but the technology of converting a point cloud to something else is certainly there: https://www.safe.com/convert/las/autodesk-fbx/

That's FBX, but presumably once you convert the point clouds into a standard triangle-based 3D mesh you can probably convert it into STL or OBJ.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m seeing a lot of noise about AirTags being used for stalking etc but Tiles have existed forever. Is this just manufactured outrage for clicks or is it a legitimate worry?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m seeing a lot of noise about AirTags being used for stalking etc but Tiles have existed forever. Is this just manufactured outrage for clicks or is it a legitimate worry?

tiles can only communicate with devices that have the tile app installed but airtags can communicate with any ios device in bluetooth range. same principle, but the tracking is a lot more effective with airtags because of the size of the network

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think it’s because this is going to make trackers more ubiquitous and the Apple tech and huge amount of Apple devices will mean it works better. So not a new problem but a good reason to discuss the issue more.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The other issue is that Apple talked about adding anti stalking features so of course people immediately tried to think of ways around them. While Tile just never talked about it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's partly overblown but also because the FindMy network is so vast it is a legitimate concern where with a Tile you would need another Tile user nearby to make anonymous stalking possible.

It's a balance between making it easier to track stolen items and making it harder to track someone without their consent. The way Apple went about this is that it has a speaker that will sound if it's away from the owner's iPhone for an extended period of time. It will only sound the alarm when the closest iPhone is can find reaches a "significant location", something like the home or workplace. This makes sense from a stolen item perspective, you don't want the thing sounding off as soon as it moves away because then the thief will be notified and remove the Airtag immediately. However, if you have concerns about stalking then the person being tracked won't be notified until they reach their home which is not an ideal situation. You can't make one function easier without destroying the other function's usefulness.

smackfu posted:

The other issue is that Apple talked about adding anti stalking features so of course people immediately tried to think of ways around them. While Tile just never talked about it.

This is also true, Apple brought up the issue in their keynote while Tile didn't even have anything on their site about how they protect Tile users. I think they added a short blurb after Apple's keynote.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Is there a good vice grip and document stand combo for phones? I have a fiddly set of specific requirements.

Ideally the vice would be on a joint that allows the phone to move back and forth easily, or the arm would be on a track to do the same. Plus height adjustment. Just want to be able to scan and view docs on a paired display easily.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's also a big 'economy' for security researchers out there. The first ones that explore a piece of tech and publish a blog post about how it's going to destroy the planet are going to get all the media coverage, and the more scary they make the discovery the more coverage they're gonna get.

It's not that they're lying.. but they are embellishing to try and keep the paychecks coming.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

xzzy posted:

There's also a big 'economy' for security researchers out there. The first ones that explore a piece of tech and publish a blog post about how it's going to destroy the planet are going to get all the media coverage, and the more scary they make the discovery the more coverage they're gonna get.

It's not that they're lying.. but they are embellishing to try and keep the paychecks coming.

This is true for all academic researchers. People like to attribute bad and misleading popular science reporting to those stupid journalists who just don't understand the smart academics' work, but the academics have a strong incentive to embellish and exaggerate the relevance of their research and findings and absolutely are partially responsible.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BurningBeard posted:

Is there a good vice grip and document stand combo for phones? I have a fiddly set of specific requirements.

Ideally the vice would be on a joint that allows the phone to move back and forth easily, or the arm would be on a track to do the same. Plus height adjustment. Just want to be able to scan and view docs on a paired display easily.
Not sure about good but looks like some stuff exists if you search for phone scanning mount (or rig or stand). The adjustable ones look top down only, although maybe you could use them horizontally. Also a bunch of diy solutions or making random stands work together, which you might have to do if the existing stands don't fit the bill exactly.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Are there any good third party airtag loops/keychains yet? The stuff on Amazon right now looks awful sketch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

kitten smoothie posted:

Are there any good third party airtag loops/keychains yet? The stuff on Amazon right now looks awful sketch.

I picked up an Apple leather key thing but got these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093CHGQY2 (phone posting so I hope the link works) for my backpack and other stuff. Seems fine. No way the Airtag is coming out of it.