Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

teagone posted:

Just get bigger hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Phones with fingerprint sensors on the back that double as swipe pads solved the one handed awkward gesture problem. Too bad Apple skipped that step.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i should be able to say "hey siri, swipe left" but she's as useless as ever

e: just tried this and it changed the track in Music instead of hitting back in my Safari tab. that's not what i wanted at all, worse than useless!!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The next set of iPhones should get jiggle physics

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lmao

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

American McGay posted:

Phones with fingerprint sensors on the back that double as swipe pads solved the one handed awkward gesture problem. Too bad Apple skipped that step.

They have basic double/triple tap gestures for the back at least. I triple tap the back of my iPhone SE to silence it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

teagone posted:

They have basic double/triple tap gestures for the back at least. I triple tap the back of my iPhone SE to silence it.

I triple tap to activate the onscreen accessibility.

And then I can't use that to activate Reachability because I need to keep the gesture turned off for accessibility reasons. Apple!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

endlessmonotony posted:

I triple tap to activate the onscreen accessibility.

And then I can't use that to activate Reachability because I need to keep the gesture turned off for accessibility reasons. Apple!

I can double touch the home button on my SE for reachability.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

teagone posted:

I can double touch the home button on my SE for reachability.

Sure doesn't work either. I need to keep the gesture off because otherwise it fucks up with my grip being what it is, and that turns off the accessibility feature because Apple's design competence isn't exactly great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Train an AI to predict what I want to do on the phone and show it to me as it happens.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s a thing but it only does stupid poo poo like tell me “oh hey it’s 4am time to open Overcast for your walk to the office” or “It’s 5pm you should open the Kodi remote app to watch some tv”

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes but I need it to type my texts too.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If Apple would abandon Siri and default to Assistant it really would be the perfect phone.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

History Comes Inside! posted:

That’s a thing but it only does stupid poo poo like tell me “oh hey it’s 4am time to open Overcast for your walk to the office” or “It’s 5pm you should open the Kodi remote app to watch some tv”

Does it have poo poo like "when I leave home, write me a note" or "when I start moving faster, write me a note"?

I could use tracking of my bus trips.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It does geofencing yeah.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kirios posted:

If Apple would abandon Siri and default to Assistant it really would be the perfect phone.

Imagine a world where every smartphone was mandated to let you choose which voice assistant you could have as the default.

It would just lead to a bunch of old people getting their voice assistants hijacked by malware :downs:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

I didn't ask for this

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm kinda happy having siri suck because i'm pretty sure it means apple isn't spying on me enough to anticipate what i'm trying to do.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

some kinda jackal posted:

BUT, since I feel like I staunchly want to die on the USB-C hill, I'd hate to get used to a gloriously small form factor again only to have it torn away again when I want to upgrade so I can ditch connector hell, so maybe it's just not worth the future heartbreak :(
Considering the rumored split CPU arch thing between the non-Pro and Pro models, I pretty much expect the Pro to ship with USB-C whereas the non-Pro still sticks to Lightning (because of USB 3.x circuitry missing in the older CPUs). Would certainly be hilarious, if that came to be, because of typical internet drama.

I mean, considering their continuing emphasis on loving high-def high frame rate video on the Pro phones, it's high loving time for a high-speed interconnect.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

i'm kinda happy having siri suck because i'm pretty sure it means apple isn't spying on me enough to anticipate what i'm trying to do.

What is the use case for Siri most of the time anyway? I mostly use it to set a timer while I'm walking my dog.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Googling random trivia answers when drunk with friends and setting timers/reminders.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Toe Rag posted:

What is the use case for Siri most of the time anyway? I mostly use it to set a timer while I'm walking my dog.

as a voice activated command interpreter, siri is fine. i think the complaints come when people really want whatever a "digital assistant" is. there is a lot of pie in the sky potential for a digital assistant driven by some kind of AI to do things for you -- conduct whole phone calls, book appointments and travel, remind you automatically about deadlines, bills, maintenance, suggest stuff for you read/buy/do/see (in ways that are actually useful unlike modern advertising), etc.

but outside of stuff that's at least a century away from being a real thing a computer can do for you, i do think the basics of voice commands are handled well by siri: setting a timer or alarm, controlling music and navigation, calling or texting a contact.

i've heard the criticism often that siri sucks compared to amazon and google's version, but the only actual cool thing i've seen that i might actually use from either of those was the thing the pixels had where it would screen your calls for you and give you a transcript in real time. i'm sure that's massively frustrating for whoever calls you though, haha. anyway, other than that it seems like a lot of gimmicks that you'd never really need. like, i remember trying the google assistant for a while, and it did learn a lot about me and was able to do stuff like notify me what my commute time would be or point out stuff that was nearby sometimes. but none of that stuff was ever actually useful, it just became more white noise to ignore.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

An Android user one posted that Siri was bad because they were driving and asked Siri some random movie trivia and Siri said they couldn't answer it while they were driving so they asked Google and Google could.

So I guess the usecase for Siri is to ask useless trivia while driving

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Toe Rag posted:

I’ve used it once, to read and answer a text while I was doing dishes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

homekit is like 99% of my siri use.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Toe Rag posted:

Setting timers and alarms, HomeKit, hands free control of music while driving, texting while driving, etc.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
On these concept images, there's often a lavender colored 14 Pro. That thing looks dope, hope it'll be real.

--edit:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I would absolutely buy a 14 pro in any shade of purple.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Siri has it's moment of uselessness, but I use it pretty often to....

- Turn my Hue lights on and off, especially "Turn off all the lights" at the end of the night
- Set reminiders, many of which are location-based
- Add items to my calendar
- Set Timers and Alarms
- Turn my TV and Off
- Shazam
- Driving directions
- Random "Google"-like questions ("What year did Castaway come out?")

It works good enough for my use-cases, I always have my Apple Watch with me, and I'm not willing to give any other tech vendor more of my data than I already need to.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My wife has a magic vocals where voice dictation works 100% of the time with almost no errors so she routinely recites notes when studying.

I guess that's not technically Siri, but it's kinda in the same speech processing ballpark. I've tried it and apparently I mumble way too much because the error rate is enormous.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

On these concept images, there's often a lavender colored 14 Pro. That thing looks dope, hope it'll be real.

--edit:

Just going to wait for another green colored phone. Apple hosed me by releasing the green 13 Pro midway through the cycle. I had to make do by getting the gold one and mixing it with green cases but this is unacceptable Tim.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gay Retard posted:

Siri has it's moment of uselessness, but I use it pretty often to....

- Turn my Hue lights on and off, especially "Turn off all the lights" at the end of the night
- Set reminiders, many of which are location-based
- Add items to my calendar
- Set Timers and Alarms
- Turn my TV and Off
- Shazam
- Driving directions
- Random "Google"-like questions ("What year did Castaway come out?")

It works good enough for my use-cases, I always have my Apple Watch with me, and I'm not willing to give any other tech vendor more of my data than I already need to.

:same:

Siri is great for me. I use it all the time and I don’t really need anything more out of it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New iOS 16 public beta is out. Downloading now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This is going to vary by use case, but how quickly does your phone typically reach 80% battery health (when you receive a warning)? My brother's 2020SE just hit that point just short of 2 years of getting his.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I think it's too variable to come up with a rule.
All the devices my family have used for 3+ years have developed severely degraded batteries (sudden drain and shutoff events) but none has ever got down to 80%.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've never reached that point either.

My iPhone 5S did die of a swollen battery, though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rageaholic posted:

New iOS 16 public beta is out. Downloading now.

Public 3 came out last week and I’ve had more issues with apps than P1 or 2.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Public 3 came out last week and I’ve had more issues with apps than P1 or 2.

Big time same

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Is it enjoyable to participate in the beta or is it more of a pain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just did a refresh in case dude I quoted actually saw a pb4 I hadn’t seen yet… and he had. Sorry for doubting you man! I’m guessing widespread issues then because I’ve never seen a public get updated so quick.