Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Stare-Out posted:

That's what I meant by reverse, I don't trust the lightning port for audio anymore. Like I said, I've had three, THREE official Apple lightning earbuds fail on me. It's not the port on the phone because it charges fine and I've not mistreated the earbuds at all but after six months they start activating Siri on their own, maxing out the volume on their own or speeding up podcasts. They're crap. I'm done with wires, especially lightning wires.

I've been using a 2011 iPod Nano with 3,5mm Apple earbuds for podcasts instead and it works fine, by the way.

Have you tried cleaning out the lightning port on your phone? It’s very odd that 3 pairs of headphones would die on you like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have my watch faces to automatically switch at certain times. Are there any shortcuts to do this with the new lock screens?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mechanical Fiend posted:

Tap the album art

Holy poo poo.

(I force-pressed everywhere to no avail!)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have my watch faces to automatically switch at certain times. Are there any shortcuts to do this with the new lock screens?

You can set times to activate certain focus modes and link home/lock/watch screens together for focus modes, is that what you’re looking for? Tap the three dots on the focus selection thing - settings - scroll down

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

Have you tried cleaning out the lightning port on your phone? It’s very odd that 3 pairs of headphones would die on you like that.

Yeah, pressurized air and all. The port seems to work fine, charges fine, transfers data fine, even the headphones "work", just they inevitably start going nuts on their own.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I think the lightning port is much worse for headphones, the way the connection works makes it susceptible to the stresses of movement.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

~Coxy posted:

I think the lightning port is much worse for headphones, the way the connection works makes it susceptible to the stresses of movement.

Yeah, it's weird because it feels secure enough.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
I’ve had 3-4 of the lightning to headphone jack adapters and they all died extremely quickly. Not sure if the adapters are garbage, the port itself is poorly designed for headphones, or both.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the new lock screen is finally back to being not completely useless for music again. only took them five versions to get back to how it was in the past. thanks apple :tipshat:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So after a full backup to PC, erase all contents and settings and restore from backup... apps still aren't showing up as options for Lock Screen widgets. For some reason Overcast is there, but nothing else - including Gmail which definitely has one.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Gmail doesn’t have one, Google announced Lock Screen widgets but they haven’t been released yet.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Ahh okay. Time to go launch every app then to get the OS to check for widgets, just found one that had a widget after I launched it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ugh, so there is a problem and nobody so far seems to know why or how to fix it. I’m sure this bodes well for me getting my phone at launch!

How they’ve managed to overcomplicate buying a phone from a phone company is beyond me, but here we are.

I assure you, the only thing executives and the IT departments at all these dumb phone companies do is work to make everything more difficult for customers (and employees).

I use a lighting adapter because my car doesn’t have Bluetooth , and it works fine with some general movement , although I guess I’m not running with it or whatever.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

peanut- posted:

Gmail doesn’t have one, Google announced Lock Screen widgets but they haven’t been released yet.

The only ones that seemed to last OK are the OEM Apple ones. The ones on Amazon all suck, even when they claim to be Apple-manufactured.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Snuffman posted:

I like that this is an option now, I love the big art.

Seriously, I'm so glad they brought it back

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Looks like they updated the Find My app with some cool things, it now tells you the last connected location of your Beats / AirPods so you can immediately see if you were a dumbbell and left them at home..

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

aarstar posted:

I’ve had 3-4 of the lightning to headphone jack adapters and they all died extremely quickly. Not sure if the adapters are garbage, the port itself is poorly designed for headphones, or both.

I had one, and it lasted me from the iPhone 7 to the 13 pro max when I switched to AirPod pros. It still works, I use it to plug my phone into a set of speakers when I don’t want to bother turning on another device to play music.

This is with a minimum of 2 hours a day 5 days a week usage for basically the entire 5-6 years it was in use, and I went through probably 3-4 different sets of earphones in the same span with the adapter staying absolutely rock solid throughout.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Looks like they updated the Find My app with some cool things, it now tells you the last connected location of your Beats / AirPods so you can immediately see if you were a dumbbell and left them at home..

It even logs the location individual ear buds so if you lose one you can maybe find it. There's no way it's real time tracking, it's probably logging the point your phone last communicated with the headphone but I would guess if the piece still has a charge when you get close enough you'll be able to find it.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

The reviews are out and no surprise in that this year is more like an S year for the phones. I’m sad they didn’t fix the really annoying light reflections on the cameras at night but there’s always next year, right?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m really hoping next year is going to finally mean USB C so I can get one and get off the upgrade plan bandwagon. I’m finding it less worth it each year and would rather just go back to buying a phone and keeping it until it dies.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just updated to iOS 16 and now the App Store forces me to enter my password every time I want to download a new app/game. Before it would just prompt me for FaceID. How do I turn this back on because my AppleID password is super long and unmemorable so I have to paste it in from 1Password each time.

E: I’ve tried toggling this off and back on.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 14, 2022

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

It even logs the location individual ear buds so if you lose one you can maybe find it. There's no way it's real time tracking, it's probably logging the point your phone last communicated with the headphone but I would guess if the piece still has a charge when you get close enough you'll be able to find it.

I’m pretty sure it gave me the air tag-like radar thing when I tried to find my Pros the other day. It didn’t work at ALL, but it was cool that it popped up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're old and frail like me and need a constant ingestion of drugs to stay alive, the new medication reminders is a pretty great addition.

I'd like to see it expanded (say if you get prescribed an antibiotic, it should have a way to set how long you'll be taking it) but for stuff you do at a set schedule it's quite nice.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Has anyone figured out a good solution for magic wand cutting things (cats) from a photo to reuse in something like IG stories? So far I’ve been pasting them into an iMessage I send myself. :negative:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is it just me or does Instagram not remember silent mode anymore in the latest iOS. I can’t get it to silence its stories even when my phone is in silent mode.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

god this blows posted:

The reviews are out and no surprise in that this year is more like an S year for the phones. I’m sad they didn’t fix the really annoying light reflections on the cameras at night but there’s always next year, right?

Any specific review going over the light reflections? Got a link?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Duckman2008 posted:

I assure you, the only thing executives and the IT departments at all these dumb phone companies do is work to make everything more difficult for customers (and employees).

Yeah I feel bad for the people in the stores/phones who are stuck behind a garbage system. Naturally after dealing with web chat/phone call/reddit (wtf) support, the answer was 'go to a store and they will fix it'.

Having dealt with AT&T stores before, I know this answer was actually "Go to an AT&T store and they will set up a new order because it's completely separate and even if it wasn't there's zero incentive for the person who handles you to do it anyway because there's no commission for them". So now rather than my phone getting delivered on Friday and having the time to start it fresh and make sure everything is working, I now have to go into the store and give them my handset when picking up the new one and also hoping they haven't hosed up how much I'm due to pay because naturally I haven't had any emails confirming this yet.

I should've just stayed with my XR on a pre-paid agreement, ffs.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Those orbs reflecting bright point sources are how I can clearly identify that a YouTube video or whatever was shot with an iPhone. It's a distinctive stupid aspect of their image pipeline optics and I have no idea why. Doesn't happen with other smartphones or cameras.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Vegetable posted:

Is it just me or does Instagram not remember silent mode anymore in the latest iOS. I can’t get it to silence its stories even when my phone is in silent mode.

Instagram break this at least twice a year. I think it's fixed in the latest app update

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Vegetable posted:

Yeah this was an annoying "feature" they rolled out a week or two ago. With the latest update (today or yesterday) it went back to the old behavior of respecting the silent switch, thankfully. However your mileage may vary since they could be just randomly testing it with different groups of users to see how much irritation they can handle. Worth it to check if there's an update available in the app store, though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How do I get Comic Sans for the clock on my lock screen.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Those orbs reflecting bright point sources are how I can clearly identify that a YouTube video or whatever was shot with an iPhone. It's a distinctive stupid aspect of their image pipeline optics and I have no idea why. Doesn't happen with other smartphones or cameras.
I always thought it had something to do with the lenses. I feel like it happened with point and shoot cameras I had like 15 years ago.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Any specific review going over the light reflections? Got a link?

The Verge’s review. In case posting my phone breaks it. The comment is around 12:15 in there https://youtu.be/7qk2wsl8IFA?t=735

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Has anyone figured out a good solution for magic wand cutting things (cats) from a photo to reuse in something like IG stories? So far I’ve been pasting them into an iMessage I send myself. :negative:

What exactly are you trying to do? If you cut out a thing, then hit back, you can just drop it in your library and you'll have your cut out cats. You can then put these in a story like any other photo.

If you're trying to layer them over something, I don't know.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I always thought it had something to do with the lenses. I feel like it happened with point and shoot cameras I had like 15 years ago.

Yes, it's the lens, and lens flares have always been a thing. Modern lens manufacturers use some pretty fancy coatings/designs to limit it and photographers can influence it somewhat by shielding the front element from the source of the flares but it's always a issue to be worked around. The iPhone is a particularly nasty example of it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have an in with a large MVNO and basically it’s executives asking for things that aren’t totally unreasonable, a back end system that loving sucks, fragmented front ends between customer self service and call center / retail, and the employees having to make lovely compromises to make unreasonable dates that creates horrendous edge cases.

I’m sure with the bigger telecomms it’s even worse.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
Why did the reduce the lock screen timeout in ios16 by so much? Is this done to pressure people into using always on display? Not only that but interacting with the screen doesn't even seem to reset the timer so I'm constantly having the screen timeout and turn off on me right as I press next/previous track on the music player.

Then they moved the music player controls from the middle of the screen to the bottom, getting rid of any muscle memory I had for it. And when you get a notification at the bottom of the screen it pushes the music controls up out of the way for it.

like lol who designed this incoherent bullshit, amazing that they made the music listening experience on ios even worse than it was before

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tokit posted:

Why did the reduce the lock screen timeout in ios16 by so much? Is this done to pressure people into using always on display? Not only that but interacting with the screen doesn't even seem to reset the timer so I'm constantly having the screen timeout and turn off on me right as I press next/previous track on the music player.

Length before shutting off seems the same to me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not had any issue with lockscreen timeouts or it not responding to me interacting with it at any point during the betas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The lock screen timeout seemed way too quick in the early betas but I’m not sure if they adjusted it or I just got used to it.