Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

89 posted:

Preordering iPhones is the dumbest thing ever. Preorder it online and get it like 3-4 weeks late. I've been to 4 iPhone launches with my local AT&T stores and just got there an hour before opening and always got my new iPhone without problems. There's even donuts & coffee :dance:
You were obviously not there for the iPhone 4 launch, or you live in the middle of nowhere. At Apple's flagship store in Atlanta, I got in line around 5:30am and didn't get mine until nearly 16 hours later.

Apple did feed us and I was there with friends, and it was a nice summer launch, but 6/22/10 never forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hotsauce posted:

Wait until people realize you can't sit down or climb stairs with it in your front pocket. Its like the Note all over again - 2014 Apple style.

I don't really get this line of reasoning because I have normal khaki pants and a 4.7" phone fits there with plenty of room (I expect a 5.5" one would be fine too).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I bet it would babe.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

You were obviously not there for the iPhone 4 launch, or you live in the middle of nowhere. At Apple's flagship store in Atlanta, I got in line around 5:30am and didn't get mine until nearly 16 hours later.

Apple did feed us and I was there with friends, and it was a nice summer launch, but 6/22/10 never forget.

God I remember that day. Went early so I could pick it up before work (I had it reserved) and I had to give up and head to work at 8:45. Went during lunch and gave up again, and then finally waited for 3 hours after work. :negative:

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.

computer parts posted:

I don't really get this line of reasoning because I have normal khaki pants and a 4.7" phone fits there with plenty of room (I expect a 5.5" one would be fine too).

I got the Note 3 for work and gently caress it's terrible. Just an awful brick piece of poo poo that I CARRY AROUND LIKE A JACKASS because it doesn't fit in my suit pant pockets and I have to wear a goddamn suit every day and I look at our CIO and I'm like WTF MAN. WHY. I go to my 5S for personal stuff and it feels like the smallest thing ever, so that's just another way the whole massive phone thing messes with me.

So I got the 6. Not the 6+. I should add that I'm a normal 5"11 dude, not some primordial dwarf with hands the size of cockscombs. This trend of larger handsets in order to make a phone as thin as toilet paper is getting annoying.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Just get your jorts custom tailored with an iPhone 6+ pocket

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

lowercasejames posted:

I got the Note 3 for work and gently caress it's terrible. Just an awful brick piece of poo poo that I CARRY AROUND LIKE A JACKASS because it doesn't fit in my suit pant pockets and I have to wear a goddamn suit every day and I look at our CIO and I'm like WTF MAN. WHY. I go to my 5S for personal stuff and it feels like the smallest thing ever, so that's just another way the whole massive phone thing messes with me.

So I got the 6. Not the 6+. I should add that I'm a normal 5"11 dude, not some primordial dwarf with hands the size of cockscombs. This trend of larger handsets in order to make a phone as thin as toilet paper is getting annoying.
Preach brother, preach!

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I'm looking forward to iPhone 10, the cube phone. 5 screens. 2 hour battery life.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've never seen a gold iPhone in person before but it's the only one in stock still right now. Was there anyone else that was hesitant about the gold phone and ended up loving it? I've never seen one in person before and I don't have time to go see one at a store. I know this is all gonna depend on my own tastes but still.

Also can I give my T-Mobile iPhone 5 to my mother to use on Verizon? It's an A1428.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

computer parts posted:

I too, have some cherry picked trousers that fit large phones well. None of my jeans did, however.

You do wear jeans, don't you?

Bah, you guys will see. It's tradeoff city. The days of just putting the 6+ in your pocket and forgetting about it are gone. You are always fully aware of it because it's a cookie sheet in your jeggings. Can't wait on the CNBC reports of returns/aggravations about the 6+ for just being too big for skinnies and looming investor questions about Apple's decision to go big.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 13, 2014

Subpar Superhero
Nov 27, 2013

the hunger games

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've never seen a gold iPhone in person before but it's the only one in stock still right now. Was there anyone else that was hesitant about the gold phone and ended up loving it? I've never seen one in person before and I don't have time to go see one at a store. I know this is all gonna depend on my own tastes but still.

Also can I give my T-Mobile iPhone 5 to my mother to use on Verizon? It's an A1428.

They're a lot less garish in person, or at least they were with the iPhone 5s.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Boris Galerkin posted:

If it's the same gold as the 5s then it's quite pretty. It's more of a champagne color, it's not garish or anything. I was a little hesitant at first because I thought it might be a little too much "bling" but it really isn't.

However the iPhone 6 is bigger and has a different design so I don't know if it's going to look good or not...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I never thought I'd see the day where pants chat came up in the iPhone thread.

My whole world has been turned upside down. I don't know what's real anymore.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

the kawaiiest posted:

If it's the same gold as the 5s then it's quite pretty. It's more of a champagne color, it's not garish or anything. I was a little hesitant at first because I thought it might be a little too much "bling" but it really isn't.

However the iPhone 6 is bigger and has a different design so I don't know if it's going to look good or not...

I think it looks really nice. But I'm Arab. (Still ordered the space grey)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Space Grey is the only way to roll.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I used to buy the black ones because I thought the white bezel would ruin the screen for the same reason why we don't see TVs with white bezels. But then I traded in my black phone for a white one when I got it repaired and I actually like and prefer the white bezels now. Would rock if I could get a white bezel and black back but I can't.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I really wanted a white 4, but I wanted to be an early adopter more, so I got black. And then the black 5 was so drat good looking I couldn't resist. So now I'm finally getting a white one. But silver, no gold for me. I'm a winter.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
team white iphone all the way

@Boris - very thin black case?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Anyone who bought a white iPhone is not to be trusted.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

OldSenileGuy posted:

So when they say they're not supporting Apple pay, what they really mean is they aren't supporting any form of NFC payment then.

Yes, ApplePay NFC isn't a thing, it is an implementation of EMV NFC mobile payments. As far as the processing goes the terminal or payment network doesn't give a poo poo what it came from, Android, Apple, Blackberry, as long as it has a proper token from the bank and the magic crypto stuff from the secure element on the phone it will go through like any other transaction.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
From Cult of Mac:

quote:

A Best Buy spokesperson told the Journal that it installed NFC checkout systems years ago, but eventually ditched them because they cost too much to maintain. Google Wallet and over services have been trying to get NFC payment processing off the ground for years, but adoption in the US has remained stagnant.

The real reason Best Buy and Walmart won’t be supporting Apple Pay is their allegiance to a retailer-owned mobile commerce network called Merchant Customer Exchange. MCX uses an iOS and Android app called CurrentC that involves the customer scanning a QR code instead of using NFC’s tap-and-pay. It’s basically a cross-platform take on Passbook. The app will be available nationally next year.

Hey everyone, once you have your phone out how about instead of just waving it near our (terribly high-maintenance!!) reader, you unlock it, launch our app, enter your PIN number, then take a photo of the QR code we give you!

And you can't don't have to use your credit cards, just trust us to suck funds straight from your checking account! Fraud protection? Sure... Maybe! We don't say!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Choadmaster posted:

From Cult of Mac:

Hey everyone, once you have your phone out how about instead of just waving it near our (terribly high-maintenance!!) reader, you unlock it, launch our app, enter your PIN number, then take a photo of the QR code we give you!

And you can't don't have to use your credit cards, just trust us to suck funds straight from your checking account! Fraud protection? Sure... Maybe! We don't say!

Yuup. Check out the list of who's in on this. http://www.mcx.com/

Outside of your favorite big box stores, the majority of them look like merchants that either do high volumes of low dollar sales, or are otherwise really low-margin operations. In the first camp you've got places like 7-11, Dunkin Donuts, Wendys, Southwest Airlines (I assume for onboard purchases), HMSHost. Then on the latter you've got grocery stores, which operate on razor-thin margins.

From that WSJ article, they're linking against checking accounts, gift cards, or store-issued credit accounts. The whole point is to dodge paying credit card interchange fees.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Choadmaster posted:

An app that doesn't exist yet despite MCX being around for over 2 years.

I could see Best Buy caving; I have to think a larger-than-average percentage of their customers will be NFC-enabled. At least compared to Walmart. And they'll have to upgrade their POS systems to support chipped cards anyways, so the incremental cost to add NFC should be minimal.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

computer parts posted:

The more expensive pants are the smaller pockets tend to be. Normal khakis should be ok, since in theory aren't they designed to hold like 4 golf balls?

Edit, ugh.. people advocating for belt clips. Are you a middle aged white guy who also uses a bluetooth headset while grocery shopping?

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 13, 2014

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Somebody sell me on getting a 128GB iPhone 6+ over a 64GB one. As long as I dump my videos and photos on my computer, I think I might be alright? But, I also tend to keep about 20-30GB of music as well?

...damnit, 128GB it probably is..

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

89 posted:

Somebody sell me on getting a 128GB iPhone 6+ over a 64GB one. As long as I dump my videos and photos on my computer, I think I might be alright? But, I also tend to keep about 20-30GB of music as well?

...damnit, 128GB it probably is..
It's $100 extra over the life of the phone and will likely hold up at least 50% of that in resale value so you're basically paying 7 cents a day for the peace of mind of enough space.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's $100 extra over the life of the phone and will likely hold up at least 50% of that in resale value so you're basically paying 7 cents a day for the peace of mind of enough space.

Yeah, you're right.

Also, I know all preorders for the iPhone 6+ have sold out....but AT&T stores are still gonna have some at launch this Friday, right?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

89 posted:

Yeah, you're right.

Also, I know all preorders for the iPhone 6+ have sold out....but AT&T stores are still gonna have some at launch this Friday, right?
They'll likely have VERY few if any. No one knows for sure, but supplies are pretty tight. If you're not first in line then I wouldn't count on it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

89 posted:

Yeah, you're right.

My store is an AT&T reseller, and we're expected to get 6 random 6's and one random 6+. We were in a similar situation last year where we got 4 random config space grey 5S's and 10 random 5C's

I remember last year, the entire area sold out of 5S's within minutes of opening their doors that morning, with the exception of HH Gregg who had several left in the late afternoon. Reason I suspected is because nobody expected a place like HH Gregg (discount electronics store) to have any stock to begin with.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 13, 2014

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

fordan posted:

I could see Best Buy caving; I have to think a larger-than-average percentage of their customers will be NFC-enabled. At least compared to Walmart. And they'll have to upgrade their POS systems to support chipped cards anyways, so the incremental cost to add NFC should be minimal.

Target will probably cave before Best Buy, I suspect the only reason they didn't is that they are still trying to build trust with consumers after the huge giant gently caress-up with credit cards that they don't want to be launching a new credit card thingy so soon even though it is safer.

NFC probably makes most sense when you are buying a shitload of small items or just a handful of them, like Walgreens and CVS make perfect sense, Target probably does to, grocery stores, etc. Best Buy when you are talking just a handful of high priced items probably makes a lot less sense.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 13, 2014

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Three Olives posted:

Target will probably cave before Best Buy, I suspect the only reason they didn't is that they are still trying to build trust with consumers after the huge giant gently caress-up with credit cards that they don't want to be launching a new credit card thingy so soon even though it is safer.

NFC probably makes most sense when you are buying a shitload of small items or just a handful of them, like Walgreens and CVS make perfect sense, Target probably does to, grocery stores, etc. Best Buy when you are talking just a handful of high priced items probably makes a lot less sense.

Target was featured in the keynote as supporting Apple Pay in their app. I'd imagine the in-store support is close behind.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Target in general has a lot of nice consumer-friendly purchasing options. Including the ability to spread your five dollar purchase over five different credit cards if you so desire.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

89 posted:

Preordering iPhones is the dumbest thing ever. Preorder it online and get it like 3-4 weeks late. I've been to 4 iPhone launches with my local AT&T stores and just got there an hour before opening and always got my new iPhone without problems. There's even donuts & coffee :dance:

yuuuuuup. I bought my last phone at the Apple Store after much annoyance and refresh-clicking a month after it came out, which was annoying, but I bought the very first Verizon iPhone at a Verizon store, and it could not have been easier. I'm gonna go wait in line for a couple hours with a nice beverage and my iPad, get $200 for my iPhone 4, get my iPhone 6, and walk over to the Apple Store to trade in my iPhone 5 and pick up Applecare.

I'm a corporate whore, aren't I?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'll never not preorder an iPhone again. Waiting upwards 12 hours to get the iPhone 4 was the worst decision of my life and trying to exchange my 5S was harder than a teenage boy. Preordering, I get to sleep in, wake up, do some work, hear a lil ding dong and be greeted by a kind man wearing short shorts who has a box that's shaped like an iPhone 6.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I guess it's different in big city's. My city is only 60,000+.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Yea, if the lines are going to be 12 hours, then just drive an hour to a store that isn't crowded or something. Like if I lived in Palo Alto, I would drive to some crappy Verizon store in Boulder Creek than wait in line.

In the end, each year the wait is like 30 minutes because of this strategy, but I only drive 15 minutes now

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Looking to pick up a case for the iPhone 6. I have a simple diztronic matte black TPU case on my current phone, which I like. Is spigen reputable?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Donald Kimball posted:

Looking to pick up a case for the iPhone 6. I have a simple diztronic matte black TPU case on my current phone, which I like. Is spigen reputable?

Monoprice has some cheap polycarbonate and TPU cases up now and is throwing in free shipping on them. I picked up there polycarb one to tide me over until some real case options and reviews show up.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Boris Galerkin posted:

My partner's employer gave him one and he hates it. I don't think it's too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gold iPhones look tacky as gently caress to me, but if you've got a case on it (like you should), then the gold will probably be hidden and you'll never see it anyway.