Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

(last updated September 2016)

Previous thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554018

Current Models

• iPhone 7: Current flagship, 4.7" screen (1334x750, 326ppi), A10 processor, Jet Black (shiny), Black, Gold, Silver or Rose Gold. 32GB, 128GB, or 256GB. Improvements over 6s include better camera with OIS, longer battery life, and a wide-gamut screen. Home button is now force touch, and there is no headphone jack. From US$649 unlocked.
  • iPhone 7 Plus: Same hardware as the 7, but adds 5.5" screen (1920x1080, 401ppi), and a second camera wtih a 2x zoom. Same storage as the standard 7. From $769 unlocked.
  • iPhone 6s: Last year's flagship, 4.7" screen (1334x750, 326ppi), A9 processor with M9 motion tracker, Gold, Silver, Rose Gold, or Space Grey. 32GB or 128GB. From US$549 unlocked.
  • iPhone 6s Plus: Same hardware as the 6s, but adds 5.5" screen (1920x1080, 401ppi), optical image stabilization to camera (photos and videos), and some apps will have more iPad-like layouts in landscape mode. 32GB or 128GB. From US$649 unlocked.
  • iPhone SE: The greatest hits album, 6S hardware (more or less) in a 5S case. 4" screen (1136x640, 326ppi), A9 processor with M9 motion tracker, Gold, Silver, Rose Gold, or Space Grey. 16GB or 64GB. From US$399 unlocked.

More info: http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

Generation History
(stolen from the last thread)
  • iPhone 7 and 7 Plus (10th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 10 (current) - A10 Fusion with big.LITTLE architecture, M10 motion tracker, improved 3D touch/"taptic engine", 12MP camera (7) or cameras (7 Plus) with OIS on both models. Plus has 2x optical zoom plus portrait effect (eventually). Home button is solid state and uses the 3D touch. Headphone jack is gone and lightning earpods ship with the phone.
  • iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, and the SE (9th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 10 (current) - A9 CPU with M9 motion tracker, 3D touch on 6S and Plus, 12-megapixel camera with 4K video support.
  • iPhone 6 and 6 Plus (8th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 10 (current) - A8 CPU with M8 motion tracker, NFC, larger 4.7 and 5.5 inch screens, OIS on the plus model only.
  • iPhone 5s (7th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 10 (current) - 64-bit A7 CPU, new M7 motion tracker uses far less power, TouchID fingerprint reader for faster authenticating to locked iPhone, more camera improvements including dual-LED flash.
  • iPhone 5c (6th Generation - Max Supported iOS Version 10 (current) - Essentially a 5 in a plastic body, choice of 5 colors, first time a new product is introduced instead of the old one just being discounted.
  • iPhone 5 (6th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 10 (current) - Apple-designed CPU in A6 SoC, taller 4" screen, improved camera, added LTE.
  • iPhone 4S (5th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 9.3.5 - A twice as fast iPhone 4, introduced Siri, had a better Camera than the iPhone 4.
  • iPhone 4 (4th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 7.1.2 - The first iPhone to boast a retina display. Also improved on the internals of the 3GS, was much faster. This phone was also a complete redesign from the iPhone 3G/3Gs
  • iPhone 3GS (3th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 6.1.3 - The first iPhone to use new internals (better chipset, faster speeds). This was also the first device to use an oleophobic coating, making the glass resistant to fingerprint oil, and cleans easier.
  • iPhone 3G (2th Generation) - Max Supported iOS Version 4.2.1 - The first iPhone to boast both 3G data connectivity and carrier subsidization. This phone was only available on AT&T. This phone was a redesign of the original iPhone.
  • iPhone (1st Generation) - Max Support iOS Version 3.1.3 - The original iPhone, cost a poo poo ton of money since carriers were not subsidizing the cost. Slow, but revolutionary at the time, only runs on the EDGE network of AT&T.
iOS
iOS 10 is the latest version. This time around, Messages got turned into a rave party, apps can better integrate wtih Siri and the phone app, Music.app got redesigned again and the control center got split in two. The font did not change this time.

More Information
(taken from the last thread's OP, should still be correct)

FlashBangBob posted:

:d:Official Accessories:d:

Apple Lightning to USB Cable - You get one of these in the box, however if you need more than one this may help.

Cases/Bumpers/Protectores Highly Recommended by Goons

Amazon Basic Lightning Cable - Works fine (I own two of them), they cost around $5 cheaper than the offical Apple cable.
A ton of other iPhone accessories - I give a link to the Amazon iPhone 5 accessory list, as there are a plethora of different things. Use goons and this thread to help get reviews on the better products. Rule of thumb, if it seems really cheap on the price side, its probably pretty cheap on the quality side.

:d:Warranty:d:

AppleCare+ - AppleCare+ is the extended warranty that you can purchase on your iPhone. You pay $99 up front, this covers your iPhone for an additional 1 Year on top of the 1 Year you get from Apple without AC+. AppleCare+, however, will also grant you two "Accidental" replacements for $79 each. This means that if you drop your iPhone and the screen shatters, or you drop it in your tub full of water, or you spike it to the floor volleyball style, you bring it in, fork over $79, and you get a "new" refurbished model (which are considered new).

SquareTrade - This is essentially AppleCare+, however is good for only one use (and terminates the warranty when you do use it to replace your iPhone). Its not as easy as walking into an Apple Store to get it taken care of on the spot (however they do have options to do this).

Apps & Games
Games Thread
Apps Thread

What to use this thread for?
  • Finding out the latest and greatest news and rumors for iPhones.
  • Ask questions about accessories.
  • Store Availability
  • Questions about which model to use, and why you should buy one in the first place.
  • Other questions that are relevant to the iPhone.

still don't talk about your shipping updates

leather cases are good, don't sit on your phone, don't get 16gb phones unless you want to, stop posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Cross posting from the end of the last thread:

So I assume the Chinese "waterproof and shatterproof" rumors are false since nothing was mentioned in the keynote.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

aBagorn posted:

Cross posting from the end of the last thread:

So I assume the Chinese "waterproof and shatterproof" rumors are false since nothing was mentioned in the keynote.
Yes those were certainly bullshit.

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
It looks like they're going to cram six rows of icons into both the 6 and the 6+. Does anyone know if this means they're willing to consider a sixth row on the iPad, which has more pixels in both directions than the 6, and more vertical pixels than the 6+?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wintermuteCF posted:

It looks like they're going to cram six rows of icons into both the 6 and the 6+. Does anyone know if this means they're willing to consider a sixth row on the iPad, which has more pixels in both directions than the 6, and more vertical pixels than the 6+?
Considering that the iOS 8 GM is already in the wild, it doesn't seem like it. But maybe they're holding any iPad software changes until next month?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Considering that the iOS 8 GM is already in the wild, it doesn't seem like it. But maybe they're holding any iPad software changes until next month?

It's certainly possible. They already have Apple Pay and the Continuity features coming in an update, as well as iCloud photos beta, so it seems reasonable that they could be waiting until iOS 8.1 to add iPad-specific features.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm thinking of upgrading my 4S to a secondhand 5S (yeah I know).

Someone made a great post or might have been a link about what to look out for when buying second hand iPhones but I can't find it. Does anyone have it handy?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Great new post. Tons of info in the OP, thanks! I think the replacement cost through AppleCare got upped last year to $79 per replacement rather than the $49 listed in the OP.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It did. Updated.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ratjaculation posted:

I'm thinking of upgrading my 4S to a secondhand 5S (yeah I know).

Someone made a great post or might have been a link about what to look out for when buying second hand iPhones but I can't find it. Does anyone have it handy?

The biggest worry is that the phone is bricked and/or blacklisted. Go with the seller to the carrier's store and activate it right there with the seller.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How much over-provisioning does an iPhone have, or should I not worry about flash wear?

I had been below 1GB free memory on my 5 for a long time, but I've recently been able to cut back and maintain about 3GB free. Since the camera is still 8MP, I think I should be okay with another 16GB other than "future proofing".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

How much over-provisioning does an iPhone have, or should I not worry about flash wear?

I had been below 1GB free memory on my 5 for a long time, but I've recently been able to cut back and maintain about 3GB free. Since the camera is still 8MP, I think I should be okay with another 16GB other than "future proofing".

You are over-thinking it. Get the amount of storage that you think you will need and don't worry about "flash wear".

eames
May 9, 2009

interesting article re: sapphire cover glass. Likely yet another 6S Plus feature besides native "3x" resolution.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/11/sapphire-display-iphone-6-missed/

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm no master of global logistics - why would Apple create the sapphire in the US and then ship it to China? Is this a special proprietary tech that only GT has?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Radbot posted:

I'm no master of global logistics - why would Apple create the sapphire in the US and then ship it to China? Is this a special proprietary tech that only GT has?
Lots of things use raw materials from the US, shipped to China for manufacture, then shipped back to the US for sale.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Radbot posted:

American workers are really expensive for lovely jobs that they don't want to do anyway, while Chinese dudes will
Work for a bowl of rice a day

Hope this economics lesson helps

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Radbot posted:

It basically costs nothing to ship stuff from the US to China, especially tiny little pieces of glass that you can put thousands in a single shipping container.

Since it's a new factory, it's probably extremely automated, so labor costs don't matter that much. And it gives them good press to be building stuff in the USA.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey guys, since the chances of me using a Verizon 4S on AT&T are small as hell, what is my cheapest option? Is there some Verizon branded data plan I can throw some money at for a single month of usage? I'm only in this for data. I can live without talking to people for a few days.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

eames posted:

interesting article re: sapphire cover glass. Likely yet another 6S Plus feature besides native "3x" resolution.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/11/sapphire-display-iphone-6-missed/

What's up with the resolution on the plus?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It renders at 2208x1242 internally and scales down to 1920x1080, which has everyone speculating that they wanted to make the phone's screen have the full resolution but couldn't get enough or something like that, and that the next release will have it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

These articles explain the 6 Plus resolution pretty well:

http://www.paintcodeapp.com/news/iphone-6-screens-demystified
https://medium.com/@brucewangsg/the-curious-case-of-iphone-6-1080p-display-b33dac5bbcb6

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Since my Moto G got stolen, maybe I'll buy a 5S when the 6 comes. Has the 5S dropped in price yet or will it do that after the release?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Radbot posted:

Yes, the process is proprietary to GT.

In addition to what's already been mentioned, it's also hellaciously expensive to open up that kind of precision manufacturing where the infrastructure's not up to snuff. Most of what's going into your China-assembled tech toys is not coming from mainland China; it's frequently just not feasible to produce there. The shortest hop most components are making is from Taiwan or (South) Korea, both of which have had decades of development to meet the tech industry's current needs.

The Gorilla Glass on everyone's current phones was shipped to China too.

dorkimoe
Feb 16, 2007

Selklubber posted:

Since my Moto G got stolen, maybe I'll buy a 5S when the 6 comes. Has the 5S dropped in price yet or will it do that after the release?

after the release its 99

Subpar Superhero
Nov 27, 2013

the hunger games
They're actually $99 and $149 now on the Apple Store, for the 16gb and 32gb versions, respectively.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

So am I being retarded or does it sound like the 6+ might run slower? Isn't the hardware going to be taxed by constantly rescaling the resolution?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

beanieson posted:

So am I being retarded or does it sound like the 6+ might run slower? Isn't the hardware going to be taxed by constantly rescaling the resolution?
Scaling is easy. It's the rendering at a higher internal resolution that will have performance implications. Yes, it might run slower.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

noirstronaut posted:

Hey guys, since the chances of me using a Verizon 4S on AT&T are small as hell, what is my cheapest option? Is there some Verizon branded data plan I can throw some money at for a single month of usage? I'm only in this for data. I can live without talking to people for a few days.

PagePlus. A prepaid MVNO that runs on Verizon's 3G network.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Scaling is easy. It's the rendering at a higher internal resolution that will have performance implications. Yes, it might run slower.

Well crap, now I'm questioning whether I want the + with under 2 hours to go before pre-orders open.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

SourKraut posted:

Well crap, now I'm questioning whether I want the + with under 2 hours to go before pre-orders open.

You do not. Crisis averted.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Do you want a phone that's going to be more easily operable with one hand and fit comfortably in your pocket? Then don't get the 6+, get the 6.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Anyone know if apple stores will have demo units out before the release day? I'm 90% sure I want a 6 (rather than a 5s or a 6Plus), but I'd like to hold the unit in my hand before placing an order.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Anyone know if apple stores will have demo units out before the release day? I'm 90% sure I want a 6 (rather than a 5s or a 6Plus), but I'd like to hold the unit in my hand before placing an order.
Typically, no.

Celot
Jan 14, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Me too!

I ride in the passenger seat of a semi truck about 60 hours a month, so that bigger screen for web browsing is pretty killer.

On the other hand I am a person who wears jeans on occasion, and that screen is gonna suck in my pocket.

I am also able to just barely palm a basketball if my hands are dry.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

goku chewbacca posted:

PagePlus. A prepaid MVNO that runs on Verizon's 3G network.

Just sent them a message about data-only plans, but I could totally be missing something obvious on their site.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

OldSenileGuy posted:

Well they'll absolutely have the 5S but not sure about the 6/6+. But you can download the PDF from this article, cut out the figures and hold them in your hand for a rough size comparison:
http://ios.wonderhowto.com/how-to/which-iphone-6-size-is-best-for-you-use-our-printable-cutouts-find-out-0157311/

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

:argh: AAPPPPPLLLEEEEE

Ok, how about this one:

Has there been any more info announced about the HomeKit integration in iOS 8? Specifically, I'm wondering if the HomeKit API means that people can write apps that Siri will be able to understand. I haven't really delved into the world of home automation yet, but I'd like to. And I've been dicking around with the "Hey Siri" functionality in iOS8, and it's pretty cool. If the two of those could work seamlessly together, man, the future is now

eames
May 9, 2009

iPhone 6 is the one to get this time around.
The 6 Plus would have been an interesting proposition for some with what appears to be the "intended" spec, such as full 2208x1242, sapphire glass and a flush camera but they botched it in my eyes. 6S+ should fix all that.

I'd buy the iPhone 6 now or wait for the iPhone 6S+ if huge screens are your thing. Unless you are a ~social media influencer~, in which case you should get the iPhone 6 Plus in gold right away.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Do you want a phone that's going to be more easily operable with one hand and fit comfortably in your pocket? Then don't get the 6+, get the 6.
Given that I have to go out to various site visits for water/wastewater/stormwater work, I'm one of those iPhone users who loads the phone up into an Otterbox at times. I'm thinking I'd get the belt latch for it since it probably wouldn't fit in my pockets, but otherwise single-handed operation isn't that big of an issue to me (probably easily outweighed by having OIS with the camera).

Celot posted:

Me too!

I ride in the passenger seat of a semi truck about 60 hours a month, so that bigger screen for web browsing is pretty killer.

On the other hand I am a person who wears jeans on occasion, and that screen is gonna suck in my pocket.

I am also able to just barely palm a basketball if my hands are dry.
Yeah, I want the 6+ for the camera OIS, and because I often read on it so the larger screen would be nice. During the day if I want to read SA or other sites, it's pretty much just on my phone at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

eames posted:

iPhone 6 is the one to get this time around.
The 6 Plus would have been an interesting proposition for some with what appears to be the "intended" spec, such as full 2208x1242, sapphire glass and a flush camera but they botched it in my eyes. 6S+ should fix all that.

I'd buy the iPhone 6 now or wait for the iPhone 6S+ if huge screens are your thing. Unless you are a ~social media influencer~, in which case you should get the iPhone 6 Plus in gold right away.

I think the extruded camera is on the normal 6 as well?