Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

FCKGW posted:

I pick up my phone and use it and then put it down when I’m done

I think I’m on the same rolling backup from the iPhone 4

Yeah, I haven’t even renamed my phone.

My xs is called “_____’s iPhone 4”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Gonna bookmark these pages for next Fall when the iPhone 13 has a 120hz refresh rate and y'all are posting about how much better it looks and how you can't go back to 60hz phones.

120 Hz is already on the iPad Pro and I use that and my phone everyday and there’s no absolutely no perceivable difference when I switch from one to the other.

But I also don’t or can’t see any dropped frame rates either so maybe I just don’t have superhuman eyes like you.

E: SD to 1080p I see. 1080p to 4K I see. LCD to OLED is a world of difference. 60 Hz to 120 Hz is just spec sheet numbers.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 18, 2021

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

120 Hz is already on the iPad Pro and I use that and my phone everyday and there’s no absolutely no perceivable difference when I switch from one to the other.

But I also don’t or can’t see any dropped frame rates either so maybe I just don’t have superhuman eyes like you.

E: SD to 1080p I see. 1080p to 4K I see. LCD to OLED is a world of difference. 60 Hz to 120 Hz is just spec sheet numbers.

You’ll see a difference gaming but most of us probably use our super powerful iPhones primarily for shitposting and that usually isn’t noticeable

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can tell the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz fairly easily.

I just firmly don't give a poo poo with phones and there's no way I'd ever give up battery life for it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yeah 60hz to 120hz is huge for gaming or video that supports it, but since the vast majority of your time on an iPhone is looking at stationary text it wouldn’t be a massive priority. Wouldn’t exactly say “no” if offered it on a phone that costs over £1,000 though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

vyst posted:

You’ll see a difference gaming but most of us probably use our super powerful iPhones primarily for shitposting and that usually isn’t noticeable

My iPhone has recently become a dedicated Clap Hanz Golf portable system that I sometimes text message on.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

it’s easy for me to tell the difference between 60hz and 120hz, but it’s also suuuuper easy for me to become “blind” to it where i somehow can’t tell the difference between my ipad and iphone, until i look at my roommate’s ipad air which is somehow the choppiest looking poo poo i’ve ever seen. i think it’s maybe somewhat relative to screen size.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Honestly what the gently caress are you playing on an iDevice where the 60Hz vs 120Hz matters for anything.

On a PC or a high-end console sure, but iDevices have lovely controls at the best of times.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

endlessmonotony posted:

Honestly what the gently caress are you playing on an iDevice where the 60Hz vs 120Hz matters for anything.

On a PC or a high-end console sure, but iDevices have lovely controls at the best of times.
It’s a pretty big difference in rhythm games.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Whole lotta excuses itt for “a better looking screen is bad, actually”

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I personally don't really see the point of having a 120 Hz refresh rate cell phone screen, but I do agree with you that once Apple adds that functionality to their phones, posters in this thread will go wild over it.

But until then, it is a stupid and pointless feature that only nerds would appreciate. This same series of events has happened multiple times in this thread.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the nerds are the ones posting in this thread. normies see the smooth scrolling and go "yes good"

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Whole lotta excuses itt for “a better looking screen is bad, actually”

It eats more battery.

It's always the battery that's the problem as is.

gently caress, give me the opportunity to set 30Hz as a thing so I can have slower refresh. It's plenty cinematic.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

I prefer my scrolling at 24 fps

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

endlessmonotony posted:

It eats more battery.

It's always the battery that's the problem as is.

gently caress, give me the opportunity to set 30Hz as a thing so I can have slower refresh. It's plenty cinematic.

The phones that have it already have better battery life than iPhones. The refresh rate is actually variable so it doesn’t use that much more battery life and you can turn it off completely.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

MyronMulch posted:

I prefer my scrolling at 24 fps

I grew used to 4fps once and I can do it again.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So I poked fun at people complaining about lag (because seriously, newer iPhones pretty much never lag), but I def am excited for and would get a 120 screen rate iphone. I have it on my iPad and it’s great.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

The phones that have it already have better battery life than iPhones. The refresh rate is actually variable so it doesn’t use that much more battery life and you can turn it off completely.

I don't have a great understanding of display technology, but I suspect that the static power dissipation of displays dominates the 'dynamic' power dissipation. The dynamic power dissipation is the portion of power dissipation which is proportional to clock frequency/refresh rate. If this is true, then a higher refresh rate display would not meaningfully drain the battery more than a slower refresh rate display.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Whoever posted about doing fresh installs of iOS with every new release is right. I do the same thing, for no other reason than I feel good doing it. If 14.5 comes out Tuesday I'll be doing it then as well. Even if it's the same build as the current beta 8. It's an admittingly dumb thing to do but whatever, it makes the brain worms react in a good way.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The way the iphone 12 camera deals with low light is kind of amazing. It just eliminates darkness and looks completely natural.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just thinking about what it would take me to buy a new phone right now. Literally the only thing I want in an upgraded phone is a Mini with the power button TouchID sensor from the new iPad. My upgrade equation is really simple. If I see those announced this year then Apple gets my money, otherwise I ride this XS into the dust.

I literally use my iPhone for one of maybe four things though — a text messager, a podcast player, a casual camera, and a mobile wallet. If I did anything more than that I’d probably want fancy refresh rates.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Martytoof posted:

...otherwise I ride this XS into the dust.

I literally use my iPhone for one of maybe four things though — a text messager, a podcast player, a casual camera, and a mobile wallet. If I did anything more than that I’d probably want fancy refresh rates.

Same. I'm not sure there's anything Apple could release that'd get me to upgrade from my XS this year.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Skeezy posted:

Whoever posted about doing fresh installs of iOS with every new release is right. I do the same thing, for no other reason than I feel good doing it. If 14.5 comes out Tuesday I'll be doing it then as well. Even if it's the same build as the current beta 8. It's an admittingly dumb thing to do but whatever, it makes the brain worms react in a good way.
You wipe your phone on every point release?! What the gently caress.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAP THE “ERASE CONTENT AND SETTINGS” BUTTON.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Do Lightning-to-3.5mm adapters contain a DAC? Is that why these things are so expensive?

I’ve used Bluetooth for so long that I forgot how much better wired audio sounds. In my quest for a more robust adapter than the one I got with my X way back when (I went with Anker) I was surprised to see just how expensive these little things still are. Them including some kind of tiny DAC, and maybe the Apple certification tax, are the only things that make sense.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

IAmKale posted:

Do Lightning-to-3.5mm adapters contain a DAC? Is that why these things are so expensive?

I’ve used Bluetooth for so long that I forgot how much better wired audio sounds. In my quest for a more robust adapter than the one I got with my X way back when (I went with Anker) I was surprised to see just how expensive these little things still are. Them including some kind of tiny DAC, and maybe the Apple certification tax, are the only things that make sense.

I guess they must, since one side is an analogue port and the other side a digital plug.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They do, and the cheap-ish one I got off amazon a couple years ago gets noticeably warm to the touch when I'm using it. Not hot or anything, but there's a circuit in there definitely doing some work.

(it's not a straight lightning adapter, it also has a usb port and a lightning port for charging, I use it for keyboards and stuff)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

fourwood posted:

You wipe your phone on every point release?! What the gently caress.

I’m super freakish with it I know but I also don’t really backup anything. So I don’t care.

It’s fair to call me out on it, I understand lol.

FCKGW posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAP THE “ERASE CONTENT AND SETTINGS” BUTTON.

Yeah it’s pretty much this. Already prepping for that on Tuesday. I’m a lunatic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

IAmKale posted:

How is $9 "expensive"? They're probably the cheapest single item Apple sells.

And yes, they contain a DAC. A very good one, at that.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

How is $9 "expensive"? They're probably the cheapest single item Apple sells.

And yes, they contain a DAC. A very good one, at that.
Most of the reputable third-party ones I considered, as I searched for one with a little more longevity, were around $15-20. None of this is breaking my wallet, but these things are expensive compared to comparable-length 3.5mm patch cables (or, if you want to get really pedantic, the $0 I’d have to spend if the iPhone still came with an headphone jack :colbert:)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

IAmKale posted:

Most of the reputable third-party ones I considered, as I searched for one with a little more longevity, were around $15-20. None of this is breaking my wallet, but these things are expensive compared to comparable-length 3.5mm patch cables (or, if you want to get really pedantic, the $0 I’d have to spend if the iPhone still came with an headphone jack :colbert:)

... buy two Apple ones.

You'd be paying for that 3.5mm capability in the iPhone too.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

endlessmonotony posted:

You'd be paying for that 3.5mm capability in the iPhone too.

...In a form factor that wouldn’t break if I looked at it funny, could never be left at home, and wouldn’t get lost in a bag. The iPhone X pulled it off, and cost about the same as the iPhone 12 I upgraded to, so if that’s the “premium” I’d pay for an internal headphone jack then sign me up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tim Cook wants to know why you aren't using bluetooth for everything, it's the intended use pattern!

Now please buy Apple's $350 headphones that can't even be folded up properly.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

IAmKale posted:

The iPhone X pulled it off

:magemage:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Just thinking about what it would take me to buy a new phone right now. Literally the only thing I want in an upgraded phone is a Mini with the power button TouchID sensor from the new iPad. My upgrade equation is really simple. If I see those announced this year then Apple gets my money, otherwise I ride this XS into the dust.

Trying to determine when I'm going to upgrade as well. My launch XS is still going strong with no complaints (ok..well..the battery is down to 82%....I guess that's one complaint). The 12 would have been my next phone to buy on my 2-year upgrade cycle, but I didn't see anything to make it worth the upgrade. The only things I'm really looking forward to at this point are no-notch and under-glass TouchID. And the latest rumors say that those aren't coming until probably the 2023 phone. But I don't know if I want to ride this XS out for another 2.5 years.

I guess the form factor upgrade to the iPhone 13 will be nice...

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
gently caress me, what was I thinking? :suicide:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The only time the lightning-over-3.5mm issue hit me was the opposite of most peoples complaints. Was travelling light to visit a friend, wanted to watch whatever crap was on the in flight entertainment so pulled out my wired earpods to plug in and... d'oh.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

The iPhone Thread: You wipe your phone on every point release?! What the gently caress.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I do tech for my small school and one of the teachers backs up all of her files before every windows update.

It blew my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I do tech for my small school and one of the teachers backs up all of her files before every windows update.

It blew my mind.

given theres been a few win10 updates that have nuked the user profile folder, this isnt such a terrible idea tbh.