Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Just wanted to say that I hope everywhere else on the planet does eSIM the logical way and not the Australian way which is to send you a physical loving piece of cardboard wit the SIM details on it. This is the ONLY way to activate one on our biggest carrier.

e:ooof, what a snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It seems the implementation in the UK with the regular networks is dreadful, hence why I'm looking into one of these more unknown solutions that I assume is just using a piggybacked signal and hoping for the best.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

It seems the implementation in the UK with the regular networks is dreadful, hence why I'm looking into one of these more unknown solutions that I assume is just using a piggybacked signal and hoping for the best.

Honest recommendation is to change your US carrier to eSIM and then get a physical SIM abroad. It’s just not quite there yet with eSIM.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I like how busses and trains (and most rental cars that I’ve been in) still usually have USB-A on their end so even if we did end up with one connector on the other side, you’d need an extra USB-A to USB-C (or USB-A to Lightning should they not change it) if you want to charge when travelling. I wonder when you can reliably expect USB-C in places like that. Probably not in the nearest future.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I genuinely don’t think I’ve seen anything other than USB-A on any wall charger, battery pack, computer or in-transit charging.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I have a couple of laptops with USB-C ports and 13 series iPhones at least (no idea about the 12s or SE) come with a lightning cable that’s USB-C on the socket end.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
My wife has an Octopus cable that not only has USB-C, Lightning, Micro, but the input/USB-A plug part of it also has a USB-C jutting out like a cancerous growth for truly universal charging (although I bet it doesn't do PD.)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

A USB A to C adapter is necessary whenever I take my laptop with me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Xabi posted:

I like how busses and trains (and most rental cars that I’ve been in) still usually have USB-A on their end so even if we did end up with one connector on the other side, you’d need an extra USB-A to USB-C (or USB-A to Lightning should they not change it) if you want to charge when travelling. I wonder when you can reliably expect USB-C in places like that. Probably not in the nearest future.

Airplanes are starting to add outlets.. but they're 110v two prong plugs. That's what United is doing anyways.

It kind of makes sense, but also kind of doesn't. I think I'd rather have usb ports.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Is there any way to toggle "Peak Performance Capability" in the battery settings? I've got a 1st-gen iPhone SE and I'd like it to be slow with better battery life, like it was before whichever update (15? I'm on 15.5 now) reset this setting.

Failing that, what's the easiest way to trigger the 2 "unexpected shutdowns" it needs to start throttling performance again?

Sorry if this has been covered ITT

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Al2001 posted:

Failing that, what's the easiest way to trigger the 2 "unexpected shutdowns" it needs to start throttling performance again?

Stick it in a freezer for a bit, then launch something demanding.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Al2001 posted:

Is there any way to toggle "Peak Performance Capability" in the battery settings? I've got a 1st-gen iPhone SE and I'd like it to be slow with better battery life, like it was before whichever update (15? I'm on 15.5 now) reset this setting.

Sorry if this has been covered ITT

Can you just turn on the low battery mode?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Xabi posted:

The last rental car I had was a Seat which had usb-c. I left my lightning usb-c cable at home, so I had to franticly search for one at a Carrefour.

I've been spoiled by having wireless carplay.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

endlessmonotony posted:

Stick it in a freezer for a bit, then launch something demanding.

Thanks, I'll try this!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Can you just turn on the low battery mode?

It doesn't seem to have any real effect. Having said that, the battery monitoring isn't really working either (it goes down fast to 1% but then stays like that for hours.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

track day bro! posted:

The last rental car I had was a Seat which had usb-c. I left my lightning usb-c cable at home, so I had to franticly search for one at a Carrefour.

I've been spoiled by having wireless carplay.

I dunno which country you are in but at least here in the US when we rent a car we get the whole car!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

I dunno which country you are in but at least here in the US when we rent a car we get the whole car!

Sorry I meant it was a SEAT not a seat

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Is anyone else’s Google search results broken in Safari? I’ve turned off all extensions and still can’t click the top few results of a Google search page.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

illcendiary posted:

Is anyone else’s Google search results broken in Safari? I’ve turned off all extensions and still can’t click the top few results of a Google search page.

Do you have eero with ad blocking on? I always get page blocked on the first few hits (usually sponsored ads) of google results.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Laserface posted:

Just wanted to say that I hope everywhere else on the planet does eSIM the logical way and not the Australian way which is to send you a physical loving piece of cardboard wit the SIM details on it. This is the ONLY way to activate one on our biggest carrier.

e:ooof, what a snipe.

Italian carriers use the same plastic card format used for sims but with the code printed where the SIM used to sit. Same price as a physical SIM too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Blah once again Safari has decided to just wipe out all the tabs I had open in the default view. At least before it had the kindness to move them all to a tab group for reasons, now it straight up deletes. And of course the history view when I hold the + doesn’t show any recently closed things, and is the usual mix of some tabs I looked at in the last few days then stuff from literally years ago it’s still clinging on to.

OmegaFartHuffer
Feb 23, 2022
Are there any dependable iPhone 14 rumors yet? My Pixel 5 is on its last legs and I'm dying to replace it. However, if there doesn't appear to be many differences from the 13 Pro to the 14 Pro, I might just bite the bullet now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Notch replaced with pill

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OmegaFartHuffer posted:

Are there any dependable iPhone 14 rumors yet? My Pixel 5 is on its last legs and I'm dying to replace it. However, if there doesn't appear to be many differences from the 13 Pro to the 14 Pro, I might just bite the bullet now.

You never know on anything. I think the only things I’ve seen is always on display and USB C.

13 Pro is a great phone, if you don’t think your phone can make it to September it’s 4 months away, it’s not like it’s a month from now. Having a phone is important day by day so you should be fine not waiting for the 14.

If you are in the US on a postpaid carrier all the carriers are offering fairly high trade ins at the moment, although it requires a 3 year contract which obviously sucks. But, for a trade in or possibly $800, could be worth it. Ignore this if you are on prepaid.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I doubt USB-C is this year. It's mostly the pill design (which has pros and cons and is not a clear upgrade) and the AoD.

Honestly? I doubt you'll be upset getting a phone now and missing out on the 14 Pro. It sounds like a very minor upgrade.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kirios posted:

Honestly? I doubt you'll be upset getting a phone now and missing out on the 14 Pro. It sounds like a very minor upgrade.
This is pretty much every year over year upgrade at this point. All they're doing is making things faster every year with minor changes and an occasional form change.

I also agree that USB-C is probably an iPhone 15 thing at the soonest.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Potentially dumb question: Is there a way to use Find My… to find the owner of a pair of AirPods? Found a pair on the ground when I was out today, and want to reunite them with the owner.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RandolphCarter posted:

Potentially dumb question: Is there a way to use Find My… to find the owner of a pair of AirPods? Found a pair on the ground when I was out today, and want to reunite them with the owner.

No, but if you charge them up they likely will pop up back in the owners find my , so I guess whatever local lost and found ?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

No, but if you charge them up they likely will pop up back in the owners find my , so I guess whatever local lost and found ?

I figured, I got them charged and synced them to my iPad. Was hoping they’d have a phone number as the name but no such luck.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

RandolphCarter posted:

Check if your city has a lost items facebook/whatsapp/telegram group and post there about it? You cannot do much otherwise.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
My phone's autocorrect has all of a sudden taken a nose dive - it seems like it's actively trying to mangle what I write. I haven't added any languages or anything like that - is there anything that would typically cause this?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

Check if your city has a lost items facebook/whatsapp/telegram group and post there about it? You cannot do much otherwise.

I made a couple posts. Apple sent me an email giving me 6 months of Apple Music just for connecting the lost AirPods to my iPad lol. Guess that’s my reward for trying to be nice.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I have an iPhone 12 Pro, and recently got a new Macbook Pro. When the macbook is open and in use, I get no alerts at all for texts. I have messages turned off on my laptop, but it seems like the phone is still expecting notifications to occur on the laptop and not on the phone. What can I check here? The google results that lead to the apple forums are not helpful.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Erwin posted:

I have an iPhone 12 Pro, and recently got a new Macbook Pro. When the macbook is open and in use, I get no alerts at all for texts. I have messages turned off on my laptop, but it seems like the phone is still expecting notifications to occur on the laptop and not on the phone. What can I check here? The google results that lead to the apple forums are not helpful.

This sounds like something related to Focus. I can't remember where but there should be a thing to prevent devices from syncing their focus to your other Apple devices.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just got a pair of airpods for the first time, and I am just now realizing that USB-C is a thing, and doesn't resemble a normal USB connector much, so it obviously won't fit in the regular USB ports on my computer.
Can I charge them in a wallsocket if I have a charger that fits?
I have had smaller gadgets, that more or less implied that they needed to be charged via an USB cable inserted into a computer, because the socket gives too much power, or something like that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Oasx posted:

I just got a pair of airpods for the first time, and I am just now realizing that USB-C is a thing, and doesn't resemble a normal USB connector much, so it obviously won't fit in the regular USB ports on my computer.
I have had smaller gadgets, that more or less implied that they needed to be charged via an USB cable inserted into a computer, because the socket gives too much power, or something like that.

USB-A to USB-C adapters are a thing, also airpods don't pull enough power to worry about USB-PD.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 4, 2022

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oasx posted:

Just use the lightning cable you normally use to charge your phone. You won’t need to charge your AirPods anywhere near as often so it can pull double duty.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Not sure where you’re at with budget but having the wireless case and being able to plop it on a puck to charge really makes it fee like you never have to think about batteries.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Okay iPhone thread, I have a few camera related questions. I have a 13 Pro (with 200 GBs of space left) and there are a couple of picture opportunities coming up and I want to get the best out of my camera.

1) My family is getting together for my parents 50th anniversary. We are going to take family photos outside in a park. What are the best settings to get outdoor family photos?
2) My immediate family is going on a trip to Yellowstone at the end of the month. What are the best settings to get outdoor nature photos?
3) what is the preferred app for editing photos?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Okay iPhone thread, I have a few camera related questions. I have a 13 Pro (with 200 GBs of space left) and there are a couple of picture opportunities coming up and I want to get the best out of my camera.

1) My family is getting together for my parents 50th anniversary. We are going to take family photos outside in a park. What are the best settings to get outdoor family photos?
2) My immediate family is going on a trip to Yellowstone at the end of the month. What are the best settings to get outdoor nature photos?
3) what is the preferred app for editing photos?

I would suggest to set up the camera app to save pictures as raw, them upload them to a pc(and cloud space for backup) every evening and grade/finish them with affinity or lightroom once you get back home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Would a cheapo Amazon tripod be a decent idea or unnecessary with modern phone stabilization?