Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrBond posted:

If she has photo stream or ICPL turned on, sounds like someone's broken into her iCloud account if random photos are showing up that are not her pocket/purse. Change the password and trusted devices on icloud and probably set up 2FA as someone else said.

I don't think FMIP can unlock the screen remotely, but maybe if she downloaded some kind of weird app? Make sure there's nothing unexpected in Settings > General > profiles/device management. There's been a few enterprise app profiles that have been stolen and you can distribute malware that way.

We're reasonably sure her iCloud account is okay, at least at this point. She changed the password at the first sign of weirdness and her email hasn't had any alerts from Apple indicating account or setting changes. That seems like the most likely source of problems but I haven't come up with a way to confirm. iOS is such a black box it's hard to do the sort of poking around I could do on my desktops.

What has me asking around is that she wasn't running 9.2.1 yet, and the release notes for that release were a laundry list of exploits.. lots of local vulnerabilities plus a couple that could be exploited by visiting a website.

I agree two factor is the next step, just to try and harden things up a little more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

Now now, it could mean "I thought it was lost so I used my insurance replacement, but then I found it in my couch cushions."

Or "I did not pay my bill and the phone company blacklisted my phone."

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

withak posted:

"Bad ESN" usually means "stolen property" FYI.

I figure half the stuff sold on Ebay/Cl is stolen.
The main question is: Will a bad esn iPhone be able to install an app from the store over wifi?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pivo posted:

2 years of discharging every day is pretty good for these batteries tbh. Battery technology just sucks.
It's been 1 1/2 years bruh.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Meydey posted:

Question for Apple folks from an android guy.
I just got some hearing aids from Costco that are "Smart Phone Compatible" but only Iphone. To connect these to and android phone you need a $200 dongle...gently caress that.
I am thinking about buying a used Iphone off CL/Ebay/Swappa just to run a single app so I can adjust these hearing aids on the fly. I don't need the phone for anything else, and will not use the camera/phone/games etc. Just need a not too nasty phone with a non-cracked screen so I can keep it at work/in my pocket to adjust the hearing aids. Carrier does not matter.
The compatible models are iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5. Also iPod Touch 5 and some iPads.

Question: If I buy a phone with a bad esn, can I still connect to the app store to download the app? Or can it be side-loaded or something? I have never had an iTunes account, and never owned an Apple product.
Looking at Ebay, looks like a 5c with a bad esn is around $60-120.

Bad ESN is fine, the only thing it will do is make it fail a check were you to try to activate it with a carrier. That being said, if it's activation locked (which has nothing to do with carrier activation, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201365 ) it's useless for anything but stripping to parts.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xzzy posted:

We're reasonably sure her iCloud account is okay, at least at this point. She changed the password at the first sign of weirdness and her email hasn't had any alerts from Apple indicating account or setting changes. That seems like the most likely source of problems but I haven't come up with a way to confirm. iOS is such a black box it's hard to do the sort of poking around I could do on my desktops.

What has me asking around is that she wasn't running 9.2.1 yet, and the release notes for that release were a laundry list of exploits.. lots of local vulnerabilities plus a couple that could be exploited by visiting a website.

I agree two factor is the next step, just to try and harden things up a little more.
Every celeb in the iCloud hacking scandal thought their accounts were hacked directly:

http://twitter.com/kirstendunst/status/506553772114317312

Phishing is most likely.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Zero VGS posted:

Now now, it could mean "I thought it was lost so I used my insurance replacement, but then I found it in my couch cushions."

I think your insurance would require you inform them of this. So really, it's still sorta stolen.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Josh Lyman posted:

Phishing is most likely.

It's not even most likely, it is fact. There was a good New York Times article about the fappening. The window to the opportunity for this was getting the celeb's personal phone numbers / emails. He then texted or emailed them standard phishing texts or emails and stuff like "This is Apple, we need to verify your account, please input your password." None of these celebs are fairly tech literate so they all fell for it. People who are tech illiterate will fall for that stuff 9 times out of 10. They just don't understand the fundamentals.

Obviously, it had nothing to do with Apple. A good lesson in random bad PR.

e: Ah here it is, from the criminal complaint: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/23/nyregion/us-says-hacker-stole-ids-and-unreleased-scripts-from-host-of-celebrities.html

NYT posted:

Mr. Knowles, who went by the name Jeff Moxey on email, acknowledged to an undercover investigator that it was difficult to hack someone directly when he is “going after a high-profile celebrity,” according to the complaint. So instead, he looked through photos for friends of the celebrity, and then hacked the friends’ accounts in order to find the celebrity’s personal information.

Then he sent celebrities a fake text message that made it seem as though their account had been hacked, and some wrote back with their password, the complaint said. If he had “access to their computer,” he told the undercover investigator, he simply sent them a virus and infiltrated their computer.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 5, 2016

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Meydey posted:

Question for Apple folks from an android guy.
I just got some hearing aids from Costco that are "Smart Phone Compatible" but only Iphone. To connect these to and android phone you need a $200 dongle...gently caress that.
I am thinking about buying a used Iphone off CL/Ebay/Swappa just to run a single app so I can adjust these hearing aids on the fly. I don't need the phone for anything else, and will not use the camera/phone/games etc. Just need a not too nasty phone with a non-cracked screen so I can keep it at work/in my pocket to adjust the hearing aids. Carrier does not matter.
The compatible models are iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5. Also iPod Touch 5 and some iPads.

Question: If I buy a phone with a bad esn, can I still connect to the app store to download the app? Or can it be side-loaded or something? I have never had an iTunes account, and never owned an Apple product.
Looking at Ebay, looks like a 5c with a bad esn is around $60-120.

Why not just buy an iPod touch 6th gen then? I guess a 5th gen would work for your purposes but they're super slow these days.

I'm not sure if a phone with a bad ESN would get past activation on an erased install.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

MrBond posted:

Why not just buy an iPod touch 6th gen then? I guess a 5th gen would work for your purposes but they're super slow these days.

I'm not sure if a phone with a bad ESN would get past activation on an erased install.

I was just looking at the cheapest route. Used 5th gen Touch's are around $120-140 or so on Ebay. I only need the drat thing for 1 app so speed should not matter.
Will keep an eye out for a lightly used 5th Gen Touch under $100 (thats's not pink). Not in a big rush or anything.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

2 years of discharging every day is pretty good for these batteries tbh. Battery technology just sucks.

No, it's not at all. The best thing for these batteries is to sit between 20 and 80% charge forever. If you regularly drop below 20% or charge above 80% the number of cycles in the battery's life drops off significantly. The ideal being something like a battery charged when it hits 50% up to 60%, using 1/10th of a cycle at an easy voltage every time you charge. At that point you'll get like three or four times the cycles from your battery over its lifespan.

So, if you charge to 100% and discharge to 0 every day, you'll get about 500 days of cycles until your battery starts dying. If you charge 50-60% ten times each day, you'll get about 1500 days of cycles until your battery starts dying. Depth of discharge and resting voltage are very important.

This is obviously not recommended and I don't do it, but it's cool to me to understand and dispel stupid battery myths.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You're wrong, and discharging is what hurts these batteries, but ok.

You may have misread what I meant. 2 years of cycling and still getting good performance is a good thing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The stupidest battery myth is that there is anything special that you need to do to keep the battery "healthy" besides plug it in when it is low.

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006
Just got a secondhand iPhone 5s. Updated it to 9.2.1 because it was bitching about it. Didn't test the Bluetooth before I updated but now my iPhone won't discover ANY Bluetooth devices at all. I've tried resetting the network settings and all settings with no help. I tried renaming the phone in case my bluetooth devices got some weird name confusion. I tried multiple devices and nada, no discovery of anything. Anything obvious I'm missing here?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Making sure there's not a discovery mode on the device you're trying to pair with itself, I guess.

My Bluetooth audio thing needs to be entered into a discovery mode else it'll look continually for the last paired device.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Is there any way to tell my phone to use a particular Bluetooth device for media audio only and not phone audio?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

tuyop posted:

No, it's not at all. The best thing for these batteries is to sit between 20 and 80% charge forever. If you regularly drop below 20% or charge above 80% the number of cycles in the battery's life drops off significantly. The ideal being something like a battery charged when it hits 50% up to 60%, using 1/10th of a cycle at an easy voltage every time you charge. At that point you'll get like three or four times the cycles from your battery over its lifespan.

So, if you charge to 100% and discharge to 0 every day, you'll get about 500 days of cycles until your battery starts dying. If you charge 50-60% ten times each day, you'll get about 1500 days of cycles until your battery starts dying. Depth of discharge and resting voltage are very important.

This is obviously not recommended and I don't do it, but it's cool to me to understand and dispel stupid battery myths.

But your post is a stupid battery myth.
It's largely pointless to do any of the above, because you pulled the "three to four times" stuff out of your rear end. Or more specifically, from a load of testing data that can't readily be reproduced, and is hugely less important over typical usage ranges. Numbers like 3-4x come from outliers (comparing 10% to a normal range) yet normal use, say 60% vs 90%, show much smaller differences.
Also degradation over 80% relates to storage, not charge. It's still recommended to charge to 100% unless you're storing the battery / not using it.
NICE MYTH

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Apple documents state if you're going to store a battery for a long period of time to leave it around 50% charged. This was for their laptops, however...and also back in 2009.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The rear end Stooge posted:

Is there any way to tell my phone to use a particular Bluetooth device for media audio only and not phone audio?

When you answer a call you can change to phone audio by tapping the speaker icon. It takes like one second.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Battery sperging source.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

decypher posted:

Apple documents state if you're going to store a battery for a long period of time to leave it around 50% charged. This was for their laptops, however...and also back in 2009.

I think this is still true for batteries today. You don't want it discharging so far there's damage but there's also something non optimal about long term storage at 100% too.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

When you answer a call you can change to phone audio by tapping the speaker icon. It takes like one second.

The rear end Stooge probably wants a way to just set it up once and not have to deal with this again. This has been a feature on android for quite some time but unfortunately has not yet made it to iOS (as far as I know—haven't done any jailbreaking). This is one of the weird things that's very slightly annoyed me ever since switching to iPhone. Certain things that were easily automated or very quick and easy on my Android are now slightly more inconvenient. Yes, it's slight, and overall the experience has been an improvement, but it would be nice if, for example, I could manage notification settings for an app right from the notification center, or disable my alarm if I wake up before it goes off but still have it automatically re-enabled for tomorrow, or prioritize wifi hotspots, or make it so that keyboard sounds don't go through headphones or bluetooth, (all of which my M8 was doing automatically), but, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The first table implies that if you only used your Li-ion battery 10% before recharging every time, you would get about 10x the discharge cycles as if you used the battery 100%, which is 10x the usage before recharging.

This doesn't seem like a coincidence and makes me thing they're using "discharge cycle" incorrectly, as "cycle" typically refers to a full cycle that uses the entire battery.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

The first table implies that if you only used your Li-ion battery 10% before recharging every time, you would get about 10x the discharge cycles as if you used the battery 100%, which is 10x the usage before recharging.

This doesn't seem like a coincidence and makes me thing they're using "discharge cycle" incorrectly, as "cycle" typically refers to a full cycle that uses the entire battery.

I was thinking more about the depth of discharge table below it and the voltage charge a little way down. How should those be interpreted?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

tuyop posted:

I was thinking more about the depth of discharge table below it and the voltage charge a little way down. How should those be interpreted?
Depth of Discharge IS the table I'm referring to--the first image is a graph, not a table. ;)

The voltage charge table also has the same "issue", which is that they seem to use "discharge cycles" not as a full discharge.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

japtor posted:

Speaking of unlocking, third party home button replacements could gently caress you up:
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/05/error-53-home-button-iphone-brick/

I thought this was well know. Even if your home button breaks, don't replace it if you have a TouchID device.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

I thought this was well know. Even if your home button breaks, don't replace it if you have a TouchID device.

Prior to iOS 9, TouchID would just not work, but the phone would otherwise be fine. Now the iOS 9 update performs an integrity check and bricks the phone if it fails.

From a security standpoint it makes some degree of sense, especially given Apple's fairly unwavering stance on device encryption. The touch sensor and secure enclave in the CPU work together as a system in terms of storing and accessing the decryption keys for the filesystem. If part of that system becomes untrustworthy then the whole thing falls apart.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Meydey posted:

I was just looking at the cheapest route. Used 5th gen Touch's are around $120-140 or so on Ebay. I only need the drat thing for 1 app so speed should not matter.
Will keep an eye out for a lightly used 5th Gen Touch under $100 (thats's not pink). Not in a big rush or anything.
Got any friends with an iPhone that you can borrow to set it up? Or do you keep needing it to adjust it or something? (...in which case it seems like a really inconvenient device in your case)

And are you sure it works on Android without that dongle you mentioned?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Depth of Discharge IS the table I'm referring to--the first image is a graph, not a table. ;)

The voltage charge table also has the same "issue", which is that they seem to use "discharge cycles" not as a full discharge.

The table isn't wrong, the battery will wear 10x less if you only charge it 10% every time, vs fully discharging it.

The problem is when you look at all the data, you find the differences between say, 40% and 75% to be largely inconsequential and not worth any thought.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
At the absolute most it's $80 for a new battery ant the Apple Store, less if you replace it yourself, why stress yourself out so much over something so silly.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

e.pilot posted:

At the absolute most it's $80 for a new battery ant the Apple Store, less if you replace it yourself, why stress yourself out so much over something so silly.

I just like understanding these things, I'm not recommending stressing out. Though it makes sense to me to extend a bit of effort to help a consumable part made of finite resources last longer, as an ethical thing.

I'd say it's on the same order of consideration in my mind as using a little bit less floss than usual because seven billion people using a foot too much floss means seven billion feet of wasted floss each day. (Or however many people floss, this is just an example)

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
What's the timeline for the next full-featured iPhone? I wish Apple wouldn't devote development time to silly in-between product lines.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

A year since the last one, just like it's been since 2007.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

carry on then posted:

A year since the last one, just like it's been since 2007.
It was more like 16 months between the 4 and 4S, but otherwise, yes, Apple has been pretty consistent with bringing out a new model every year.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_6S#Timeline_of_models

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Khablam posted:

The table isn't wrong, the battery will wear 10x less if you only charge it 10% every time, vs fully discharging it.
Yes, but there's no point to saying "you get 10x the discharges to 0% if you only charge to 10% vs 100%". It's tautological.

My complain is that discharging from 10% to 0% is not a full cycle, and discharge cycle typically refers to full discharge cycles, making the terminology misleading.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Yes, but there's no point to saying "you get 10x the discharges to 0% if you only charge to 10% vs 100%". It's tautological.

My complain is that discharging from 10% to 0% is not a full cycle, and discharge cycle typically refers to full discharge cycles, making the terminology misleading.

No. You have it wrong. They count a cycle as a 100% charge, so in their example it would be 10% x 10 vs 100% x 1

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Michael Scott posted:

What's the timeline for the next full-featured iPhone? I wish Apple wouldn't devote development time to silly in-between product lines.

Sept 2016 iphone 7

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Can we just start a new thread to argue about battery hygiene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Make sure to go grab the Android posters too, wouldn't want them to miss out.