Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Can you upgrade your iCloud storage online anywhere? I’m at 49.4 GB of 50 right now, but when I tap the “Upgrade” button in iCloud settings on my iPhone, it, uh, doesn’t do anything.

You can try signing out of your Apple ID and or restarting the phone. Usually a combination of the two will fix it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Didn't work actually. I ended up having to download iCloud for Windows, because you can't change the plan on iCloud.com for some reason.

Yeah that's frustrating and yeah you can't purchase it from the website. I'm not exactly sure what's triggering it either

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Alright, I'm facing a weird dilemma.

I have finally forgotten the passcode to my iPhone, and I'm locked out. Tried several times and now the lockout timer is 1 hour.

I gave up and went to iCloud.com and used the "Erase iPhone" feature of Find My iPhone. However, that apparently requires a verification code, which got sent to my locked iPhone... which won't display text messages on the screen while locked out.

It says "if you cannot enter verification code, try erasing this device using the Find My iPhone app on another iOS device". I don't have another iOS device.

Now what?

You can go to iCloud/find on a browser. It may work and see if you can get it to wipe. It sometimes will work. That's how you would get rid of an activation lock if you sold the phone and forgot to wipe it of the Apple ID. If you don't have a computer setup an appointment for a restore in an Apple store

iCloud/find is how you would locate a lost phone and not require the verification code. For some reason people get stuck there

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Can't do that either. Gotta enter the passcode on the iPhone after connecting it to computer via USB cable.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306

As others said once you put it in restore mode you can wipe the passcode. Pay attention to the line that states if it takes longer than 15 mins to pull the iOS update it will exit recovery and you got to it again.

But yeah your company should be handling this for you if you are in the office

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Thauros posted:

cracked the top of my iphone screen somehow. i have applecare plus and under normal circumstances i'd just run to the apple store but obv that's not an option. how big of a hassle is mailing it in and what's the turnaround like? should i just try to wait it out a few months?

If you do the standard mail in screen repair you just drop it off at a UPS store after you call in and get a repair created.. UPS will pack it up for you. Or you can pay for a new phone for $99 and get an ERS repair. You do have to secure a full MSRP device purchase however.

Screen repair could be quick or 2-4 weeks delay depending on the ARC it goes too

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Did you select a Family plan for Apple Music? If so it's shared through Family Sharing if it's toggled on

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Interesting that Verizon does 30 days of tech support. They can always just call Apple directly and get help with Quick start migration. Safari passwords are secured with the passcode keychain stuff. The only hiccup maybe the new iPhone not activating with the old one being on. Post migration you can just fix that by turning off both iPhones and then turning on the new one

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

My iPhone X battery is starting to discharge badly. Battery health says 84% and it's not throttling me, but it's 3 years old and needs to be replaced.

Except there are no Apple stores open to replace it and the moment they open I'm sure appointments will be backed up for weeks. Can I take this to an authorized Apple repair shop? Apple's been messing with un-official repairs, but the authorized 3rd party repair shops can still do battery replacements right?

If you have a secondary phone you can mail it off for a battery replacement to an Apple Repair center

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

withak posted:

Turning off Find My iPhone is the main thing because if you don't do that then the phone is useless to anyone else (including Apple), but you should wipe it too. They probably don't say that in the instructions because they plan to do it anyway, but you shouldn't trust them.

They definitely say to wipe it in the instructions.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201557

You can't even get an express replacement started without turning off Find My

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Weedle posted:

apple doesn't sell locked phones

Of course they do. It locks to the carrier post activation if the customer is upgrading through a carrier on the Apple website

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Weedle posted:

when you buy an iphone from apple it's unlocked. when you activate it on your carrier, the carrier can lock it. apple isn't involved with the locking process except insofar as they offer the option to activate the phone during the purchase process. this is relevant to the sim-pop question above because apple does not distinguish between locked and unlocked phones, because every phone they sell is unlocked. i know it's a weird distinction because it basically doesn't make any real-world difference but apple doesn't have separate stocks of locked and unlocked phones. they're all unlocked at the time of sale and if the carrier wants to lock them when the new owner of the phone activates it they can do so

It's not really a weird distinction since there are definitely different carrier activation policy phones and some phones will have one policy and others will have another based on the selection on the Apple store website or the place of purchase.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

Can definitely confirm. The only thing keeping them from doing it is a policy restriction, not a technical restriction. Apple can remove iCloud locks for enterprise with either a invoice with SN on it or it being purchased through Apple School/Business Manager.

That's also for non enterprise. As long as it's from not a resale site like swappa. Activation lock is removable but the Apple ID is wiped as well.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Were they not using iCloud photos or Google photos? If you talking like only copy of baby photos they may look at 3rd party recovery services

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I think the iPhone SE is a "later" phone. Using two sets of AirPods (one AirPods regular and one AirPods Pro) was working great until a few days ago.

It's not on the list of supported phones.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Again, bingo. I'm an IT person with a mountain of these god forsaken cracked-screen thingies. Or better yet people lock them with Find My iPhone then leave the company and they can never be used again even though our lawyer wrote a letter to Apple proving we own then with serial numbers etc.

Does your company buy used devices off swappa for savings or something because Jesus Christ.

If you guys weren't being lazy https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202804

And then if you just outright bought the phones through some company credit card just go to place of purchase and pull a receipt using the IMEI.

Lol a lawyer riding a letter. Come on dude

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Google photos as it's been mentioned last few posts

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

B. Cause that's not how iCloud photos works. You delete off the device it deletes from the cloud.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I would definitely wipe phone and setup sans backup to see if issue persists, it probably won't

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Housh posted:

Are all employees forced to watch WWDC? Cause I've been on hold with support forever.

A lot are watching yes but vendors are working and they are definitely having angry customers with a 40 min hold time

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Shipped my Powerbeats Pro back for audio issues twice and they shipped em right back to me saying there's nothing wrong with them. Glad to see consistency.

Airpods aren't serviced. They just replace them. But you need a card to hold the charge since you ship back your non working airpods

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

You are definitely bad at technology since every apple id is default simple secondary authentication at first and you must enable two factor authentication. I just created an apple id on Friday night and had to setup the security questions.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

You don't need a working phone to turn off Find My, you can do it from iCloud.com/find

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

The big issue that's still leftover from iOS 12 is system storage being dominated by other system storage. I have seen it balloon up to 60 GBs on a 64 GB iPhone 11 that was two weeks old. A restore solves the issue but it's a weird bug that doesn't seem to have an explanation

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It's probably that calm app that's going to auto renew at $80 when you forget about it in 3 months. The official app that ties into apple health

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Just restore it. They are dragging their feet on the RTAs for this so who knows when it will be fixed

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It will grow and make the phone unstable. Calls won't go through, apps won't open etc

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Astro7x posted:

I'll give the restore a try. I do a backup to my computer through itunes, should be quick.

I literally deleted a bunch of photos, got it down to 62.3 GB of used storage. Haven't done anything, checked again, it's up to 62.5 GB. WTF.

The more you delete the more it will balloon up. Just restore the phone and load a backup

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

What difference does it make? Calibrate it, if that doesn't fix it replace it no matter the answer, no?

That's super weird answer. Just answer the question lol

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Stupid question but can you get Apple to replace a battery in an iPhone that isn't saying the battery is a problem? I gave my mum my old 8 a while ago, but now she's got a new SE and was thinking of giving the 8 to my brother who's still got my old SE which is pretty poo poo now.

The 8 has about 84% on the battery health, can I get apple to change it?

Like change it for free? I'm guessing it's out of warranty. It's 49.95 plus $6.95 shipping for the 8 battery. Newer phones cost more. At 84% battery they won't suggest replacement but if you request a battery service they will setup the paid repair for you. They won't tell you no and you don't have to use secret phrases

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Doesn’t the phone itself suggest battery replacement when it drops under 90%?

It could suggest replacement at any percentage if it's detecting a poo poo battery but yes at below 80% is the threshold for replacement

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

vote_no posted:

It doesn’t seem to be working especially well; it just tells me Michigan has an app (which it doesn’t appear to) and refuses to turn on.

Your local health authorities have to opt in so at the county level not state level

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Will have to help her do a backup because of course she can't do the update with a filled up phone

You need to hook up to finder or itunes depending on mac or PC and Mac os version. Sync and update phone that way. You won't be able to backup phone and update wirelessly. 13.6.1 did fix issue for the most part but you have to be able to update to fix issue

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Start fresh and don't rely on Move to iOS. The keyboard not being great is going to be the hardest thing to get used too compared to Android

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Weedle posted:

my phone downloaded like 2% of the update before it paused itself and the "resume download" button is grayed out. nice

Servers are being hammered. I was able to update my iPad but the Phone is saying 3 hours

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

silence_kit posted:

About two months ago, I signed up for a free trial of HBO Max, and was able to watch the most recent season of Curb Your Enthusiasm on the Roku HBO Now app. Does this not work anymore?

That depends on how you signed up too. As of July 31 HBO Now was taken away on Roku and you can only access their HBO channel if you paid Roku directly.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It's asking for the passcode and more likely the keychain passcode. Restoring would rid it of the passcode if it's just device and not the keychain one. Dude on phone support was just unaware or just agreeing it happens a lot

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

TheWevel posted:

it seems like iCloud/apple services are down worldwide?

Yes not sure to what extent but the App store and Apple music are dead

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

It feels like a total internet thing. I’m having issues with lots of sites right now.

Yup sa too

http://apple.com/support/systemstatus

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Zerot posted:

Does she have an iPad or MacBook or something? That sounds kind of like it is automatically switching to a new device, which is a new feature.

It’s not. I’ll check if it’s an emerging issue tomorrow but I noticed same thing on mine. The switching is seamless but these are full on disconnects and noticed same thing on mine yesterday and today. I know it’s not switching devices since I’m a few miles from my ipad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My wife has 2nd Gen AirPods. She got them shortly after they were introduced. In the last week or so, she keeps having it where it disconnects in the middle of her listening or talking on the phone. It cuts back to her regular phone audio even though it still shows connected.

I reset them (had the phone forget them and held the button until it flashed orange) but it is still doing it.

Any other ideas?

You can call it in and explain issue. It’s pretty isolated so no fix yet and they need escalations for it.