Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

What do you have your language/location set to? Maybe this is different for UK Siri or something?

If so, it's funny in that case that they would change how Siri pronounces its name but not what it responds to.

Pretty sure she uses two pronunciations. Seeree and sirree. Or it sounds like that.

http://clyp.it/oqyxj2hj

I put a lot more effort into this than I should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

Those all sound exactly the same, like putting an s in front of eerie, to me.

I don't know, 2 and 4 sound much softer in the first I to me. But this is a bit seely.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

eriddy posted:

Is a phone lanyard a thing and if not why not and if so are they cool?

Text, talk, drive, & rock, man.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Agronox posted:

Weird; I saw one of these today on the train for the first time just today and was wondering what the deal was. Maybe it's a new thing.

If anything it'll help people save money because I guess for many women their tight pants and tiny pockets shoot phones straight into toilets. It's like squeezing a bar of soap.

I've told friends to "just strap that poo poo to your body" but not like this. Never like this. :stonk:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Don Tacorleone posted:

Apple Warrior #1 says it's a non issue

Get Bent ★
I cannot believe that this “bent iPhone 6 Plus” thing is becoming a thing. Watch this jackass’s video — inexplicably promoted by Time magazine. Should not we be amazed that his phone didn’t snap in half under this pressure? That the glass didn’t fracture? Under pressure like this, bending but not breaking seems like an extraordinary feature. If you feel pressure like this on your iPhone 6 in your pocket, you need looser pants. And if you put your phone in your back pocket and sit on it, I’m not sure what to tell you.

Yes! It's a feature!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Does it matter if your phone bends? Bring it to the store, Apple will replace it. Who cares? (Yeah blah blah people living away from stores)

Or trade it in for a less outrageously sized phone and contemplate your phablet folly.

noirstronaut posted:

I feel like a lanyard phone thing is just a really easy target in 99% of situations and very awkward in the other 1%.

Also, please tell me you mean target for nerf gun darts. Because otherwise what are you talking about?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
And this is pretty much the reason I never buy the non-S version of iPhones. Apple is an awesome second-generation product company. Same with the apple watch.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

For non techies who have upgraded to iOS 8, what are the complaints? I can definitely see the camera roll changes... anything else?

I don't know, nontechy people are pretty stupid. I saw a girl in class taking a picture of google maps directions on her laptop screen with an iPhone 5S the other day.

I know that force-quitting everything to "save battery" or whatever the gently caress is still really popular from the days of, what, the 3GS?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

Haven't seen this posted here, but apparently there was a hidden feature in iOS8!

I love this.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6551750

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I imagine this is going to be a bad day for Apple code monkeys. :ohdear:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\ Yeah it can be a problem, but I've sold a few iPhones on eBay with no problems. I even sold one to a Ukrainian dude which sent up huge flags for me, but his ratings were good and it turned out perfectly!

hotsauce posted:

Or just F5 on Swappa and get one for what ~retail + tax would be anyhow. 24 hrs after the launch, a 6+ (128gig ~~gold~~) went for $1,095. That would be about the same as buying outright after tax, etc.

eBay buyers have some screws loose. They pay WAY too much. Only thing I can figure is iron-clad "we literally always side with the buyer" protection and eBay bucks? Not sure.

I think it's often people in regions where Swappa doesn't ship and the iPhone isn't available yet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Piquai Souban posted:

The battery life is pretty amazing - my 5 would die at the end of a long morning commute on cold days, the 6+ is around 70%.

Can't compare the 6+ to a 6, but it can handle challenging light well. Got this out of the stock camera app with auto-HDR:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rohit_saxena/15127870849/

Had my SLR and pro lens, but this was much easier. Not all pictures turn out like that, but I try a lot more with the 6+ camera since seeing that.

Yeah, that's sick.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

EpicNemesis posted:

I have a confession, when I would travel I would put my iPod in a sock. Not an Apple Sock™, like a regular, clean sock.

It never bent

This is actually my hiking phone protection as well, phone inside a couple of ziplocks, inside a big sock. I'm not gentle with my packs and it goes through river fording and poo poo with no damage. I would consider a pelican case but they tend to weigh nearly a pound on their own so gently caress that.

The whole bag contents also get stuffed inside a contractor garbage bag (the thick plastic ones that cost like a buck) inside my pack, so the sock never gets wet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't know why people have a hard time conceiving of the force exerted on a phone in a pocket. The 6+ has the disadvantage of being big enough that the pant folding at the hip acts as a pressure on the middle of the phone because the top of the phone is above that fold and the bottom is below.

Consider:

Without the phone, the pants will fold into the leg. With a smaller phone, the pants will fold above where the phone sits. With the phablet, the pants will fold in such a way that pushes the middle of the phone into the leg. Since the phone isn't sharp and won't cut the jeans, it'll bend.

I can make a diagram if someone wants.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\ Yeah that person owns an iPhone 6+ so they're not me. Also I can assume that they're dumb.

vyst posted:

Please make a diagram

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

pzy posted:

I hate you

But do you see?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

To the untrained eye that seems like that person is begging for trouble and should reconsider pocketing his Phablet.

What does that mean? Untrained eye?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well everyone knows people who have broken phone screens but everyone keeps buying phones with screens that can break, so I'm assuming that most people really don't care that much.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's like a mirror of this thread full of users who can't read well enough to join SA. It's sad, really.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TyrantWD posted:

So not even a week into the life of my 6+, and the phone is stuck in headphone mode - despite never being used with headphones/dock or anything of the sort. I've tried inserting and removing a pair of headphones several times, blowing dust out of the headphone jack, restarting, resetting settings etc. and nothing seems to work.

Backup and restore on a computer. Make sure it's encrypted so that you don't have to enter all your app passwords again.

You already reset, sounds like a problem for the Genius Bar.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ouhei posted:

I was just talking to a coworker about this today, I'm hoping they fix/adjust this in 8.1 or something and give us more there (though looking on the internet, it seems to do the 3x3 grid on iPad's too, which is just silly).

Yeah it's always been that way. Nobody cares.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

People still jailbreak their phones?

A few people care about the dumb little things like folder page size or whatever. Jailbreaking is awesome for those people.

And tethering for Americans. I imagine there's lots of other cool stuff and hideous themes and poo poo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dead Pressed posted:

Converted from a droid razor maxx hd to a six yesterday and I have a question. Is there any way to get music downloaded via Amazon music to be recognized by the iPhone as being there, thus becoming playable on my car stereo etc like an iPod? I assumed it would be recognized from the start and found out the hard way it won't be that easy going on a 6 hour work drive

Thanks.

By "downloaded" do you mean on your computer or in the Amazon app? If it's on your computer you'll have to sync it with Google play music or iTunes or another app.

If it's in the Amazon app, it should have a media player as well that you can just play and select your car stereo as an output in Control Center when your phone is connected by Bluetooth. Depending on your car and the app, this may be able to be controlled through your car's deck like an iPod and it may not.

There is no way to get the Amazon music into the music app without a computer AFAIK.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dead Pressed posted:

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I downloaded the music onto the phone. The way my vehicles seem to work the phone is like an iPod or cd. I can scroll through tracks, etc but cannot just stream. As such, just playing it via the Amazon app won't do anything. It'll only work with iTunes imported music.

I'll have to try the Bluetooth. I'm not sure that either of my vehicles will be capable of it, but I guess I'll find out. That's disappointing as I hate iTunes but I'd really like to use my music on my work drives.

That's really bizarre because the iPhone should read a bluetooth connection just like headphones and output any audio through the BT device. You can even play a game's music through a speaker, for instance.

Do a quick test. 1. Play your music through the Amazon app. 2. Lock the device (2.a. your music should keep playing, if it doesn't, hit the home button to get into the lock screen and swipe up for control center. See if you can press play there and get your music going) 3. Start your car's bluetooth while the music is playing, see if it connects and keeps playing. This is how my car from 2010 handles my 5S. 3.a. If it doesn't work, try 2.a.

If none of this works, that's very strange and you might want to check your manual or a google search to see if there's a "line-in mode" for your car's BT audio, because that's definitely not typical behaviour.

Edit: It sounds like you have some kind of proprietary interface on there like Ford Sync or something. I don't know how that works but I'm sure google can help.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 26, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

I am seriously in love with so much about the 6+. And then I think about Apple Pay. And how big this thing is. And just like, "on the go" usage. And I'm torn. Don't want to give up the screen, but feeling (after 36 hours, anyway) like it's just a little cumbersome.

I don't know, it seems like if a thing cramps your hands from using it, then it's not the right thing to use that way. Not saying that it cramps your hands, but people here have complained about that. I'd get a different thing or change the way I use it. Maybe the Apple Watch is the answer, since you won't have to take your phone out to do tiny things all the time? That's a lot of months of cramped hands, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Damo posted:

So, is there any point in my updating my 6+ to 8.0.2 if I'm on 8.0 right now and not experiencing any issues?

Are iOS8 apps going to require 8.0.2? I wouldn't think so, but I saw a screenshot in another thread with an app requiring 8.0.2 and now I'm confused.

So yeah, should I bother updating or just wait a while for the inevitable 8.1?

Anything that uses HealthKit will need an update.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

Did this really just happen

Get bent.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

iPhone 6 unlocks are eventually going to come down in price to iphone 5/etcs unlocks, right?

No, they'll remain at their current price until the universe dies.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\ this is actually the right answer. Convenience and lack of annoyance is a bigger deal than min/maxing the cycles you get out of your battery.

chaosbreather posted:

So after I got my iPhone 5 battery replaced under the program the Apple store guy told me that I should not leave it plugged in all day/night. Is this real? I thought, like, use it until red once a month was the way?

That's exactly the opposite of what you should do. Battery science says that it's ideal to keep your stuff charged between 20-80%, and it's absolutely to be avoided to keep it charged at around 100% for like 8 hours a day (like when you plug it in all night). The Apple Store guy is probably thinking of cycles alone, which don't make up the whole story.

Personally I charge mine when I get home for like an hour and top it up to 100% in the morning before I leave. It's pretty hassle free.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't mind iTunes because it's better than managing folders and Winamp playlists or whatever the cool kids are doing these days, but it's by far the least consistent, most annoying, buggiest piece of software I use on Windows. It feels like trying to teach a ten year old how to use text boxes in Word half the time.

On OS X (like everything else about using a Mac) it kicks rear end. I guess that's to be expected.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Unless you need that space immediately, I'd just go with it for a day or two and see if it sorts itself out. There's some weird indexing voodoo that takes place when you add a ton of music and the phone may clear it up for you over time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Whirlwind Jones posted:

lol loving itunes and iPhones are trash. I've restored from the same loving backup 5 times in a row and every single time I end up with 100GB of "other" space on my phone. This poo poo is laughably unacceptable. It's a wonder people even buy this crap anymore. Trading this in for an S5 as soon as I can.

You know, it might not stay there once your phone processes the data for awhile.

But this sounds like a dealbreaker for you and you should probably just go back to Android I guess.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Neron posted:

What is the normal size for "Other" data in iPhone 6? I had around 2GB which I couldn't find a way to get rid of, so I completely restored my phone as a new device which helped a bit but it's still showing as 1GB. Is this just a normal thing or can I free up the space somehow?

Do you need that 1-3gb right now?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there any way to temporarily stop notifications from appearing on a screen?

My wife takes the iPad to class and she keeps getting banners from iMessage and mailbox, which is annoying for her. Is that what the "silence notifications" always (versus when locked) in do not disturb does?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Contingency Plan posted:

There doesn't seem to be an iOS thread so I'll ask this here: has the iOS 8 podcast app broken chapter breaks in music podcasts for anyone else? Before 8, some music podcasts had chapter breaks and a dynamic image that would change depending on where you were in the podcast. Now chapter breaks are gone and only have a static image.

It may be the app, or the podcast maybe?. I just tried it out with the Podcast app in Drabblecast on my 5S 8.0.2. Chapters and dynamic images worked fine.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

I'm pretty sure Passbook requires you to set some favorite locations that it will pop up in, but that may have changed for iOS 8. I haven't really used it, though, since the one I go to most is in my building, and it would just keep the card on the screen all day, which was annoying.

It's never worked for my grocery store reward card, I just assumed that the developers didn't bother adding store locations to the entry. I can't find a setting anywhere to make it work.

Compared to boarding passes, which just magically pop up an hour before I need them, it's pretty dumb.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

That makes sense. I don't have my microfiber cloth with me and I feel like my tshirt will just make it work so I didn't bother trying to wipe it.

Just wipe it off on your jeans or jorts or whatever. People actually carry microfiber cloths with them? Pants and shirts work fine, that's kind of the point of the oleophobic coating.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's a liability concern, they don't want you to sprain your thumb on their property.

Because 6+

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\ Great, thanks! I was going to see if it worked the next time I was using it.

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

Lol if you think lady pants pockets are anywhere near big enough for this thing.

But really, is this a valid security concern? Do they make a Spigen case that holds credit cards AND pepper spray? Or, god forbid, am I going to have to start using a purse because if I carry a 6+ around in my hand all day I'm going to get mugged?

God, nobody's going to mug you, even if the news and other goons tell you to be afraid of everything. The cost of being afraid of everything all the time is way higher than actually being the victim of some crime at some point in your life, short of murder (being the victim of mugging is pretty unlikely - like, 119 in 100 000 per year unlikely, but being murdered is very unlikely - like 4.8 in 100 000).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

IuniusBrutus posted:

Besides the GMail exchange support issues, how usable are Google's services on an iPhone? I'm tempted to give iOS another shot, but I am an unrepentant Google fanboy and use them for pretty much everything - in particular, Google Drive, Authenticator, and casting via Chromecast.

Drive (and docs, sheets, etc) is excellent and support across different apps on the platform is very good, so you can export things into it easily without a computer.

Authenticator works. I don't know what else it's supposed to do but give you codes.

Casting is supported in iOS versions of Plex, Allcast, Netflix, YouTube, and probably others. No idea about chrome browser casting.

Google now is a waste of time for me on iOS. The Google search app is dumb. Translate is great. I use gmail for deep searches and mailbox for ordinary email needs.

You may find the maps integration frustrating. Addresses will open by default in Apple Maps, but the Google maps app is great and I don't really notice the default app problem.