Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Radbot posted:

I'm no master of global logistics - why would Apple create the sapphire in the US and then ship it to China? Is this a special proprietary tech that only GT has?

Yes, the process is proprietary to GT.

In addition to what's already been mentioned, it's also hellaciously expensive to open up that kind of precision manufacturing where the infrastructure's not up to snuff. Most of what's going into your China-assembled tech toys is not coming from mainland China; it's frequently just not feasible to produce there. The shortest hop most components are making is from Taiwan or (South) Korea, both of which have had decades of development to meet the tech industry's current needs.

The Gorilla Glass on everyone's current phones was shipped to China too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Erinyes posted:

For the Apple Recycling program - is this something that you can do in-store? And is this something that you could possibly do as you're going to pick up a new phone so that you can apply the gift card to said purchase?

Maybe? They just finally rolled out full-blown in-store recycling back in April, but any mention of it is curiously absent from Apple's recycling pages. That would be an incredibly short rollout if it's already been axed.

I'd either give the store a call or pop in and ask them.

beanieson posted:

Anyway, I, gonna try at some point & see if they take the phone.

Straight from AT&T:

For a limited time, trade in an eligible iPhone from any carrier and get:
  • $300 AT&T Promotion Card for an iPhone 5s
  • $200 AT&T Promotion Card for an iPhone 4, 4s, 5 or 5c

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 14, 2014

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

the kawaiiest posted:

So Apple is apparently not releasing any kind of update or patch to address iCloud Drive in Mavericks.

Of course not; the update to address iCloud Drive is called Yosemite. If it runs Mavericks, it'll run Yosemite.

Now, why they didn't yank temporarily yank iCloud Drive from iOS 8 like they did some other features (like, say, the Yosemite-dependent Continuity) is a question for the ages. Yosemite clearly wasn't and isn't going to be ready in time for iOS 8's release.

I'll be charitably optimistic—maybe they have remote control over whether the upgrade prompt is displayed. Maybe regular iOS 8 users simply won't be prompted for now, and there won't be an angry mob burning copies of Age of Innocence and bitching about their missing documents.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

xzzy posted:

Man, the new mac address randomizer is not playing nice with the network at work.

Who could have predicted that a random hardware address on a network that uses that information to place you into a guest or full access subnet would have issues? :v:

It's only (supposed to be) randomized when it's scanning for networks, not when you actually connect.

Which isn't to say that won't make some equipment freak out. That's a given.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

I thought t-mobile was the only provider that supported volte or wifi calls?

At least initially...

T-Mobile has "nationwide" VoLTE covering a significant portion of their LTE footprint while AT&T and Verizon both have VoLTE in select markets.

Meanwhile, Sprint... is Sprint.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Apple recommends you fully discharge your phone at least once. It may not be about conditioning the battery so much as calibrating the battery power meter for the OS.

No, they do not.

Cycling the battery to recalibrate the meter was specific to one generation of notebook battery. iOS devices and newer notebook batteries do not use the same electronics and do not require recalibration.

Use it, charge it when you need to, live life.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I can still get iMessages on my Mac, but not getting texts on my phone from 80% of my contacts is getting unworkable. I thought I could tough it out until I get a 6 in a month or so, but not really. What can I do? Do I have to sign off on letting my precious turn tricks on the corner with other users to get myself back onto SMS with my iPhone-having assholes friends?

Call Apple. They should be able to de-iMessage you.

If you haven't already, put the phone in Lost Mode too.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

terriyaki posted:

How do I make it so that the order of things I want in the share button list thingy in Safari stick?

I want 1Password first, then copy, then add to reading list, etc and I know you can rearrange them in that "more" area by dragging them around but whenever I go back into that little list thing it reverts back to the default order and 1Password gets shoved off all the way to the right again.

That's a bug. It should stick when you drag them around in the list view (and it does for me).

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 25, 2014

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

TJChap2840 posted:

This isn't true. You sound like the people I hear in line at the grocery store that heard a thing from a friend who heard a thing from a friend.

AT&T has a secret iPhone 6 fee! They'll change your plan to add it and you'll be paying $40 a month!!!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

frogbs posted:

Is this just dependent on how each app was made, or should I not expect app data to be restored from iCloud backups?

You should expect app data to be restored from iCloud backups. iCloud backs up app data. iCloud restores app data.

Some developers, however, were apparently repeatedly dropped on their heads as children, and do not actually use app data storage.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

Alternatively, would "reset all settings" and "reset home screen" have the same effect?

Yes, but if you have a minimal data plan, keep in mind you will immediately want to revisit your WiFi and cellular settings.

As soon as you reset, you will have no WiFi (until you reconfigure it) and everything will have unfettered access to LTE.

Edit: Also, because they're only stored locally for privacy reasons, you will lose your Frequent Locations on a reset. It catches people off-guard because they consider it data, but Apple considers it part of the location & privacy settings.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 5, 2014

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Raffles posted:

Could be wrong but I think you can sync Fitbit with myfitnesspal and then sync mfp to healthkit so their could be a workaround for getting fitbit data into healthkit.

Theoretically, yes. MFP or any of a handful of apps should be an easy workaround for Fitbit's lack of HealthKit support.

Problem is that Fitbit's lovely API frequently fails to work, so the third-party app never gets any data, so nothing ever makes it to Health.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
It's been aluminosilicate (provided by Corning, no less, per the Jobs bio) since the 4. Jobs did a whole big song and dance about it at WWDC. There were Shinkansen windshields involved.

But if anyone actually cares about whether or not it's Dow-Corning Gorilla Glass™ brand aluminosilicate glass, it would be Wikipedians.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

So, how does Apple Pay work for those of us with an iPhone 5?

It doesn't. The 5 has literally none of the hardware it needs.

You can solve that for brick-and-mortar sales by pairing it to a nice, attractive Apple Watch, however!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You can still use it for in App / online stuff though.

Using what TouchID sensor?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

I assume the Instant Hotspot stuff is still subject to carrier approval, right?

The answer's likely "yes," though that depends on your understanding of Instant Hostpot.

Instant Hotspot is simply a one-click way to activate tethering; there's no additional carrier voodoo surrounding it. If you can tether now, you can now use Instant Hotspot to tether more quickly. If you can't tether now, you still can't tether. In either case, the ability to tether has not changed.

kitten smoothie posted:

There are a couple big companies that basically do backend data processing for all kinds of small community banks. I wouldn't be surprised if these companies push Apple Pay as a service right in the pipeline they already have.

It's available today, in fact, from Visa and MasterCard. The big issue is that it's yet another (substantial) per-transaction cost in a time where everybody's already cutting account benefits left and right.

MasterCard, for example, will cheerfully provide the token payment infrastructure to smaller banks or branded "affinity" cards... at a cost of almost 3 cents per charge. Certainly with time there will be enough critical mass that costs are driven down (both directly from card brands and through the contract processors), but I wouldn't be surprised if those of us with credit union and small bank accounts are largely stuck waiting until the implementation deadline.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

Anyway, the iPhone 4 is old enough to have abysmal retail value and you could probably get an iPhone 5 for cheap as dicks or just a 5C for free with a contract extension.

It's still worth $200 at AT&T!

Until spooky, spooky Halloween, anyway, at which point undead phones must return to their previous trade-in value.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

No. 6 posted:

Does anyone have a good breakdown of how Apple Pay works? Normally the merchant will have an acquiring bank which takes all their card transactions and then routes them to the issuing bank. Is it the same here?

Replace "card" with "single-use or multi-use token" and you have the essence of EMV (and Apple Pay by extension).

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 21, 2014

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Selane posted:

If you don't mind paying the full value of the phones, I'd go with T-Mobile since you can avoid contracts entirely. Also, I live in Nassau just outside of Queens and at least here T-Mobile has the best coverage and speeds out of all the major carriers.

You can avoid contract(ual obligation)s entirely on literally every major carrier. T-Mobile has a good marketing department, but they're not doing anything different.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 21, 2014

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Hakarne posted:

I have a fairly basic question that I can't find a straight answer to. If I have photo stream enabled through iCloud on my PC, are the photos stored on my PC permanent? What I'd like is to have every photo I take dumped on my PC permanently and not be deleted after 30 days or even if I delete the photo on my phone.

Also, are photo stream photos full resolution when saved to PC? It seems like every site I find gives a different answer to these questions. Thanks!

How you'd like it to work is exactly how it works. iCloud for Windows is really simple:

You can configure a Download folder, which will watch your Photo Stream and download photos as they appear. (A default location is pre-configured when you install iCloud.) There is no pruning; photo is added, photo is downloaded. Photo disappears from the stream, nothing happens.

You can also configure an Upload folder, which will upload into your Photo Stream as photos are added to that folder.

Photo Stream is always full-resolution on computers.

If you have a Mac or are considering buying a Mac, this also how iPhoto works when it's configured to import from your Photo Stream. The funny thing is it's actually easier to get the behavior you want on Windows—it's the only option. iPhoto can be configured to either import the Photo Stream or to simply display it.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 22, 2014

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Doesn't Discover generally have the least acceptance at merchants for traditional swipe cards? Is that because of interchange fees or something?

Discover and AmEx are generally both "add-on" cards for common merchant accounts, carrying their own contracts, minimums, and discount rates.

Nobody has a Discover card, so Discover's slightly higher rates are a hard sell to the penny-pinching merchant. AmEx, despite their even higher discount rates and minimums, has cardholders who love their cards and statistically like to make large purchases. They also still hold a huge segment of the corporate market.

If you were the business deciding which second-string card to pay for every month, which one would you choose?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

IUG posted:

So my boss's car got broken into, and they took his Mac laptop and his backup HD. He still has his phone, and with that, his iPhoto library in a way I imagine. Is there a way to pull the library from his phone and put it on his iMac? This is the thing he's the most worried about losing.

The iPhone follows DCIM rules and appears like any other digital camera when attached to a computer and unlocked.

iPhoto or Image Capture (or whatever else he may have made default on his iMac) should pop up and immediately offer to suck down his photos and videos. If it doesn't, you just need to launch it yourself and then you can go hog wild.

Edit: Or maybe that won't work. iOS and iTunes/iPhoto have varied in the way iPhoto albums synced back to the device are exposed. Eh, give it a shot. At least anything he shot with the phone should be easily recoverable.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 29, 2014

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Clocks posted:

Is there anything to watch out for, like if at some point I had a problem with the phone and went to apple with it and they went "this isn't your phone" or something?

Basically only if you're sharing an Apple ID, you break up, and he changes the password and puts your phone in lost mode.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

ufarn posted:

I wasn’t there, so I didn’t have much of a say in the process. Kinda weird how they can access customers’ iCloud accounts without passwords.

They can't. But if the phone's not locked, there's nothing stopping them from running an iTunes backup and restore (which is most likely what happened).

Thus Apple's increasing obsession with encouraging passcode/TouchID use and near-instant lock times.

Endless Mike posted:

You can manually match them, but I think they need to have their phone number in Facebook for it to match with your other entries, I think.

Email should also work (or at least used to), but yeah, you need something more identifiable than a name several thousand people share.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 5, 2014

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
NVM. Weird forums weirdness.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

smackfu posted:

Yeah, honestly I didn't have to do any of that junk. New phone came in mail from Apple, I set it up and restored iTunes backup, and it just had service and my old phone said "No Service."

Phones ordered from AT&T have to have their SIM manually activated through AT&T.

Welcome to 2014, it's marvelous here in the future! :suicide:

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

spongeworthy posted:

I really should dump my enterprise at&t plan if that's pricing for a new device. This "line access" fee on at&t is bullshit.

T-Mobile doesn't offer subsidy, period, so that's your "line access" fee and your data package fee.

You've still got your device installments on top of that.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

goodness posted:

iMessages, and both cellular and wifi. I don't know what a MVNO is.

MVNOs are the smaller, typically prepaid "carriers" that just resell someone else's network (Net10, Consumer Cellular, Boost, Virgin, Ting)... Basically anything that isn't Sprint/T-Mobile/AT&T/Verizon.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

IllegallySober posted:

When I get emails in iOS Mail from time to time in the top left of the screen the person's phone number will be displayed and I have an option to add them to my contacts. I assume this is an iOS feature.

My problem is, I'm blind-copied on my own emails, and when I open my own mails, it displays my correct name but a phone number that isn't mine.

Where can I go to correct this? I don't have a working PC but I assume I don't have to have one to fix this?

You don't correct it. The information's algorithmically pulled out of the email using Data Detectors. The only time you'd need to or be able to correct it would be when whacking "Add to Contacts."

Are you using some kind of unusual quoting style in your emails (like, say, is this work email and everyone's using some hosed up enterprise email client marching to the beat of its own drum)? It should ignore quoted content—like other people's signatures in a long, untrimmed thread—if it's recognizable.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Super Dude posted:

Are there usually any black Friday deals on iPhones? I'm thinking about picking a 6 plus up as a secondary phone for full price.

Almost definitely not from Apple, but retailers and carrier stores have sometimes offered a modest discount or gift cards/accessories.

Good luck, though, because they've generally been in-store only and limited to stock on hand, which is still likely bupkus for Pluses.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Bum the Sad posted:

Why? I've had AT&T from back when they were the only iPhone provider but had Sprint before that. What's wrong with them?

If you're feeling nostalgic, nothing at all; you can sign a Sprint contract and it's like you're suddenly back in 2006!

Or just hit the coverage map and note that (a) unlike everyone else, Sprint's national map denotes LTE areas with pins, and (b) once you zoom in a couple clicks, the whole goddamn country is roaming.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

How do I sync ALL my contacts with icloud? For some reason only half of it is synced, and I'm unwilling to re-add hundreds of contacts

Are the unsynced contacts on another CardDAV/address book service, like Google or Exchange? Those should not and will not be synced to iCloud.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

My battery would be beyond dead if I didn't charge it in my car when using Spotify.

Spotify hungers.

I don't know if they're using Adobe tools (like they are/were on desktop) or what, but having used all the major streaming services, Spotify's the one that will suck a battery dry in no time flat.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
There's a reason the default lock time is a minute.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Vanellope posted:

If this is true, I'd love to know how to do it. Because right now if I delete a photo off my iPhone, it's deleted from iCloud as well...

This is the basic conceptual issue people are having. The central conceit of iCloud Photo Library is that you want access to all of your photos everywhere.

iCloud Photo Library has no concept of "on my iPhone" or "on my Mac" or "on my iPad".

iCloud Photo Library is iCloud Photo Library, period. Any device is just a means of accessing your library. You have one library. It lives in iCloud. If you delete a photo, you're deleting it from the library.

If you don't want full-size images sucking up your storage, you turn on Optimize Storage, and let iOS manage your copies a la iTunes Match. (But unlike iTunes Match, you can't say "don't store this one image on this one device at all.") If you don't want a single library with everything everywhere, you don't use iCloud Photo Library.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 13, 2015

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Snuffman posted:

So how does the app slide over work? Is it default Apple apps only or is it something other app devs can tap into too?

Apps have to be built with support for it. But for most apps, if the developers have been following Apple's guidelines, that literally means checking a box and recompiling.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Variable_H posted:

Do you have phone insurance? Or better yet, Apple Care? If you have either you should be able to get it swapped out for considerably less than 70% of the phone's total price.

Even the "I done hosed up" out of warranty replacement price is less than 70% (less than 50%, in fact, even assuming you have a 16GB) of a new phone.

Hand Apple $299 and you're done.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Phone posted:

mr pink, you're a loving idiot. I said "I want to own the phone", not "I want to lease it indefinitely from Apple for the low-low-low cost of $xx.xx per month". Holy poo poo, dude.

It's a 24-month installment plan. You want to keep the phone and (presumably) the AppleCare+, you pay the 24 installments.

You want a new phone? Then you turn your current one in after 12 months, they waive your remaining 12 months, and you start a new 24 month installment plan for the new phone.

Holy poo poo, dude.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Haggins posted:

Is there a good app that allows for offline navigation? I'm finally ready to use my phone as a GPS over my old Tomtom.

For a free option, Nokia's HERE Maps allows downloading and works generally well. The interface leaves something to be desired and the text-to-speech isn't great, but the maps and routing are good.

In the US, Telenav's Scout is another free option (with a really great interface), but you do have to download an entire region at ~1.5GB. HERE breaks it down by state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Khablam posted:

Is there any way of removing that "flag" and creating a new iTunes backup with the same phone data?

Nope. Encryption status gets passed back to the device, so your only options are to either remember the password (if she's on a Mac, check the keychain if you haven't already—sometimes there's an entry there that iTunes just lost track of) or wipe it and start over.

It sucks in this situation, but it's an intentional design decision to protect your data. Ideally iTunes would be a little more alarming about the consequences when you enable encrypted backups.