Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Went to use my phone last night and found it was in Activation Lock mode. I also got an email from Apple to say it had been removed as a trusted device. Huh. I put my AppleID password into it and it unlocked fine. Changed my password after just in case it was an elaborate phishing scam, but there wasn't any unusual activity on any of my accounts.

Why would a phone, which I've used without issue for three years, suddenly go into activation lock by itself with no obvious trigger? (iPhone 5, iOS 10)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I'm toying with replacing my original SE. I like the new SE, but if I'm going bigger I figure I might as well go all out and get a second hand XS for the same price.

Why do so many second hand ones say "no Face ID?" Is it like when people would replace their home buttons and lose Touch ID on the older phones?

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Protocol7 posted:

Betting that they smashed the screen, replaced it with a cheap replacement and something got messed up with the Face ID sensor (static discharge blew out a part, they ripped a ribbon cable, etc).

As far as I know there's no mechanism for pairing a Face ID sensor array to the logic board like there is for Touch ID.

I've spent some time researching this (just to satisfy my own curiosity, I wouldn't buy a phone with no Face ID) and it seems it's just people botching screen replacements.

sourdough posted:

Check if your carrier has any deals on the new SE, or a place like Beat Buy or Walmart if you’re in the US. They’re anywhere from like $100-300 off depending on carrier and where you buy from.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I'd much rather go for a brand new shiny SE with a new battery and faster A13 CPU than a used XS. Sure, the XS might have a marginally better camera and the OLED screen, but a new SE will last longer in every way from the battery to stress on the internal, since most XS phones are coming up on 2 years old. Plus there's lots of deals out there, like Walmart having the new SE for $200 through Verizon and AT&T with no extra fees.

I'm keeping an eye out for any deals in the UK. I'm on pay as you go at the moment, and it's so cheap I'm not keen on taking on a contract unless it really takes a chunk out of the phone price.

The SE being brand new is definitely a big draw, but for less than £100 more I can get a grade A refurb XS with a year's warranty, and my only real dislike about the new SE is the screen/body ratio. It's a tricky decision.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

dissss posted:

What do you mean by 'refurb'?

If it's straight from Apple then they actually do a good job of it, if it's from some random place then in my experience refurbishment means they wipe off the grosser smudges then chuck it in a box.

Oh, I know. But I bought my current SE as a refurb from Argos, and it was brand new in an opened box. They're one of the largest retailers in the UK so I bet their 'refurbs' are just returned new phones.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I've decided to hold on to my SE1 until the 12 range comes out. If this rumoured 5.4" phone with an iPhone 4-esque body materialises, I'm buying that on launch day anyway.

Mister Facetious posted:

5c... iPhone SE...

c... SE- :aaa:

The last few years have proven they name their products with a Markov chain text generator using only a single poop emoji as the source document.

Horace fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 7, 2020

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I gave mine away to people who wanted earbuds, so the lightning ones were always useless. Not including the lightning -> 3.5mm adaptor anymore is a much graver sin IMHO.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

About five years ago someone opened a shop in my town which sold phone cases and only phone cases, no cables or any of that BS. Inside the shop was one huge trough full of phone cases and people standing around it digging for a case to suit their phone.

That is the only good way to shop for a phone case.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Here's my battery tip: go to a local phone place and have them replace your battery. It doesn't cost very much and it makes the phone immeasurably better. Don't be one of those people who posts about how much you're suffering with your antiquated SE, 7 or 8 because of it's poor battery.

I just assume my phone will need a new battery at least once in my ownership.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

dissss posted:

Those cheap replacement batteries are often no better than the worn out original in my experience. The phone really needs to go off to Apple for a replacement to be worthwhile.

I've never noticed a difference. I'm sure there are some garbage tier batteries out there, but the aftermarket ones I've used have been as long lasting as the Apple one but for less than half the price. Go to a well reviewed shop with a warranty in any case.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I am creaming myself daily over that 5.4in phone, and it will be the first iPhone I buy new on release day. It sounds perfect, and pretty much the all-screen iPhone 5 I've been dreaming of since the X launched.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

It took until ios7 to make the clock icon an actual clock.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I can't believe how well the 2016 SE runs on iOS14. It feels as responsive as ever, and none of the new stuff feels crowded on the small screen. Can't speak for battery life but it doesn't appear to be any lower.

In fact, it's kinda ruined my plans to buy the iPhone 12. This ol' phone works far too well to justify an upgrade.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

help!

This morning I installed the NHS track and trace Corona app. It seemed to work fine. An hour later I take my phone out of my pocket and it's really hot, and boot looping. I manage to reboot it, and everything's working except Safari. I can go online in apps, I get notifications, but it won't load any webpages. eg, I can use the Twitter app, but can't go to twitter.com. I downloaded Firefox, but that's the same. Any in app content which requires Safari is also not working.

I have tried
- deleting the corona app
- updating to latest iOS
- clearing Safari cookies/history
- resetting network settings
- using different wifi networks and my data connection

Is there anything else I should try before doing a restore, which I'd rather not do?

(iPhone SE 2016, iOS 14.0.1)

edit: not trying to dissuade anyone from using the corona tracing app, but it seems like too much of a coincidence that the phone I've had for years without issue would be hosed an hour after I installed it

Horace fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 24, 2020

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I have done that several times :(

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

gently caress it, doing a restore. Tried dozens more random suggestions from the internet, no luck.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

wooger posted:

Much more likely to be an iOS14 bug than the COVID app. It’s not magic, it’s just an app.

Mail in iOS14 wouldn’t let me send emails the other day.

I'm not blaming the app. There will have been tens of thousands of installs of it in the last 24 hours, if it was breaking Safari it'd be all over twitter. But it was the last thing I did before the phone went haywire so it was relevant.

mrfart posted:

I wonder if you’re having something similar going on, since you also have the old SE. Since Tuesday evening, all messaging apps, except imessage, stopped giving notifications (sound/badges). I hadn’t installed iOS 14 at the time. I did since, and now the 01, but nothing works. And Apple doesn't have any older signed IPSWs anymore, so they blocked me from downgrading.
Really don’t know what to do anymore.

Have you tried doing a restore? Big pain in the arse, but it's just fixed my Safari problem.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

That’s how they dealt with people who wanted a BluRay drive in MacBooks.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Very sad if the only good small phone is discontinued. I went shopping for one a while ago to replace my original SE, but the budget didn't quite stretch and I bought an 11. Now, the 11 is an amazing phone and I love it. I'm really glad I went for a faceID phone because I do love the big screen. But it is a very unwieldy object, and the rounded edges make it difficult to grip. One handed use is effectively impossible, and it's only since I can't do it anymore I realised that I used the SE one handed most of the time.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

~Coxy posted:

Crap, I just got my wife a 12 and now it comes out in purple two weeks later.

If you got her the red or blue one, just buy her some blue or red tinted glasses so it appears purple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

xzzy posted:

iOS 15 rumor mill is firing up.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-22/apple-plans-notifications-ipad-home-screen-upgrades-for-ios-15

The big one is having "status" like sleeping, driving, etc and being able to tailor notifications to that status (make noise, vibrate, whatever). Basically an extension to how auto reply already works while driving.

Plus some more privacy upgrades which are always nice.

My Sony Ericsson had this 15 years ago, it was quite good. Tap the power button and it came up with a list of customisable profiles like work, home, driving etc.