Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Purr Objectives posted:

BuT tHe NoTcH 😭😭

Out of curiosity, if you measure the screen height starting where the notch ends, what is the aspect ratio of the phone?

Officially, the Xr is 19.5:9, but that's with the rabbit ears. What is it if you don't include them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bye bye Android, I don't have to put up with your bullshit anymore; iOS, here I come.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

What made you want to switch after all this time?

Five-plus years of Android is what, but seriously:

I can't stand half-assed, unoptimized, buggy software, and while that's incredibly ironic coming from a Call of Duty gamer, the fact is I'm just tired of every niggling little issue, unwanted changes, and increasing ads in the OS/loader, and apps. If nothing else, I just need a change (and I've wanted an iphone since the 5s :allears: ).

Android phones just have issues; massive battery drain/cpu pegging to max in various apps, aggressive app killing, malware even on the store, bad haptic feedback, a lack of updates even in the release year, software getting progressively worse/slower even after a factory reset, no adblocking, Google's obsession with wasted white space, no decent cross-platform sms app a la imessage, pushy app requests for my data, chromecast sucking/timing out on lots of apps, gboard (swipe typing) getting worse ever since... Marshmallow I think (was definitely more accurate before that). And on and on. Yeah, they can be cheaper, even at the flagship end, but they sure as poo poo aren't better.
The whole "you can customize everything!" argument is overrated. An interactive wallpaper, weather widget, pixel camera .apk, and spacing apps how I like is all I really leveraged from that.

That last one is especially a big deal for me; the accuracy has gone consistently downhill and suggests words when I was never near the letters included, with no way to increase the sensitivity/strictness; which is pretty damning when every letter has both a border and spacing, and I keep trails on.

iPhone now has (or has announced) more or less every convenience/tech feature I want in a phone; tap-to-wake, swiping, face unlock, water and dust resistance, brighter screen, 3k+ mAH battery, wide angle camera, hard-as-gently caress-to-bend (no, seriously, I care about this), wireless charging, 4k60 recording on every lens, optical stabilization, night mode, dual speakers, and a 7nm SoC (my rule is to upgrade around every halving).

Also I've come to terms with the notch, as it still has an 18:9 ratio if you chop the rabbit ears off. And I don't care about the Lightning/USB-c/headphone jack war; I don't buy accessories and I use bluetooth headphones, so it doesn't affect my purchasing decision.

I've been using a Mac Mini since 2012 (also needs upgrading) and a Shuffle before that; I'm already used to Apple's software (it's me, the mythical "guy that's never had an issue with iTunes") and aesthetic, and would love to use icloud/airdrop to easily transfer over pics/vids and files. And I use Safari the vast majority of the time over Chrome.

Finally, my current phone is an LG G6, and the base model 11 is literally equal or better in every metric except absolute battery capacity (but not life), screen res, and pixel density. And I can afford it (I buy outright).
I would prefer it to be a few mm narrower though; the g6 (72mm) plus a case was already at my limit for one-handed use for me, and the 11 starts at 75.7.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 11, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

There's your problem. LG phones have never been good, even the Nexus 5x IMO. A modern Samsung (with One UI) or Pixel would solve all of your complaints. But iPhones are cool too.

I moved to Melbourne recently and noticed absolutely everyone on the train to/from work has iPhones. Gotta admit it feels like I'm an outsider with my S10+, even if I think it's better.

The hardware isn't something I have a problem with. It's built like a brick shithouse, has a great looking (albeit not too bright) screen, excellent battery life, decent cameras with the Pixel .apk, and good wi-fi and bluetooth. I owned a Nexus 5 before that too. The software is poo poo regardless if it's Google or a third party messing with things. It's half-assed.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

LG UI is poo, and the Nexus 5 was eons ago. If you wanna go iPhone go ahead, I'm sure you'll love it, but it seems like you're comparing different eras.

I don't have a problem with the UI, that's not what I'm complaining about. Everything I have a problem with is endemic to Android and every manufacturer, period.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 11, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Khablam posted:

- massive battery drain -- this is an LG UI issue.
- Incorrect, this is app specific (CoD, PSN Video, FB back in the day, etc.), and happens regardless of the phone used

quote:

- cpu pegging to max in various apps
- incorrect, see above. Also, I don't game on phones.

quote:

- aggressive app killing // your £130 has less RAM than the £1300 phones you covet AND this is a choice LG make
- Incorrect, this is a problem with the industry: https://dontkillmyapp.com

quote:

- bad haptic feedback // £130 phone again
- Incorrect. I own a Magic trackpad 2, and literally nothing is as good or convincing that a tap was not actually a button press

quote:

- a lack of updates even in the release year // this is an LG £130 issue ... actually mostly just an LG issue they're the worst
- Also Moto, Xiaomi, ZTE, Asus, Sony, Nokia up until two years ago...

quote:

- software getting progressively worse/slower even after a factory reset // this is an LG issue
- Tell that to the Samsung owners I know

quote:

- malware & pushy app requests for my data // Don't use lovely apps? The data issue is identical on iOS
- I only use apps from respected parties. They're the biggest offenders. I'm expecting that when I tell an app on ios not to do something, it doesnt get switched back on after an update.
Also, pre-installed garbage is on every phone brand not named Google.

quote:

- chromecast sucking/timing out on lots of apps // this is a £130 phone issue
- Incorrect, this is a problem with app makers.

quote:

mean maybe you're just trying to talk yourself into dropping 8-10x more for your next phone, but as a platform specific list of complaints you've got to understand this is wholly based on the price point you chose, and is solved by spending more money on either platform.

Why would I buy a mid-range or worse phone when current mid-range chips (~ SD660) are equal or worse to what I already have, with worse cameras? I'm looking to upgrade, not sidegrade.
Additionally, my unicorn of a phone plan means I can get an expensive phone outright and still break even with the equivalent competing plan.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 11, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, discussion in a Discussion thread. Weird, ain't it? :q:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Sorry, I didn't know the iPhone thread was for defending Android phones. I don't know how I didn't see that... :ohdear:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

And I'm looking to complete my training, begun by Obi Mac Mini. Teach me your ways.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Picked up a white 11 64gb, spent way too many hours configuring it, and I'm still not done yet.
Checked out the other colors, but they just weren't my thing, even the red and lavender... and I didn't want a third all-black phone. :geno:
That Silver Pro was where it's at though; frosted metal with a mirror finish at the camera bump. :cool:

Now that I'm on the App store, what's the go to for Live wallpapers? I like mine animated.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Discord is allowed as an image host, right?

Normal lens, around 7pm eastern:

Night mode, around 8:10pm:

Wide angle, same time as the first:

Months ago, around 8pm, using the Pixel .apk on the LG G6 main camera:
13 MP, f/1.8, 30mm (standard), 1/3", 1.12µm, PDAF, 3-axis OIS

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I just set a second alarm so I can pretend the first one was the snooze button, and don't use snooze at all, so it won't appear on the screen.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I grabbed the Spigen liquid crystal; thin, narrow, shows off the color while still providing full raise-ivity.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Does Audible data not copy over with Apple Quick Start? We've done 2 copies on my mother in laws phone and both times it skipped that (other 3rd party apps and their data seem fine).

If you mean the Audible app, it syncs your place in books server-side, but yeah, you have to manually download the ones you want again, since they can't assume you have enough storage.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Minidust posted:

Anyone having issues with Bluetooth audio playback? It's been cutting out a lot in my car and I'm wondering if it's related to the 11 Pro, iOS 13 or both.

Yeah, it's happened a couple times on my 11, but i chalked it up to worse reception.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Weedle posted:

What’s your favorite holy book app?

Goodreads, obv op

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

Godreads you mean.

Goodreads for The Good Book™

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

How will people know I am using an iPhone if there is no notch?

"Hey Siri, tell everyone around me how much better my phone choice is." :smug:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

Even worse, it's a bootloader hack that can be used to break into a locked phone. Law enforcement is gonna be all over that poo poo.

They probably already were... :tinfoil:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Apple themselves put out the exploit to get people to buy new phones now, hooking them back into a refreshed Apple ecosystem :tinfoil:

Some government spy agency found out another agency knew about it, and made it public to burn the bridge. :tinfoil:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Daily, even.

Move fast and patch things.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

How do I turn off Government alerts in Canada? There's no settings for them at the bottom of my notifications.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Auto-correct is one of the things every user uses probably, like, the most and it doesn't seem like they've improved it very much over the years

Death to autocorrect. I turn it off on every phone, otherwise I wouldn't be able to use slang, portmanteaus, or nonsense words.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

pzy posted:

What HDR content is there to test on the 11 Pro? The display specs make me want to see some fancy HDR footage.

This is the YouTube channel everyone uses to show off screens:

https://www.youtube.com/user/jacobschwarz

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Don’t feel like looking for the post about new AirPods but I just hope they don’t take Microsoft’s queue and try to copy this look:

I think John Gruber said it best, that they look like you’re sticking Apple Watch chargers into your ears.

Hipster extended life version with stretched earlobe battery packs coming next year! :science:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

They already have an SE, it's called the iPhone 8 (non-Plus).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

is there a recommended/accepted small tripod for cellphones?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Obviously I don't know exactly what you want it for, but consider just getting one of those cheap phone grippers that have a 1/4-20 UNC female thread on one or more axis.
Then you can use a normal tripod fully collapsed, and still have the flexibility of extending it fully and using it with a regular camera.

I'm looking for anything under 8" in height (not including the phone) for either using on a table, or bracing against a wall/other surface on at least three points of contact.
If necessary, it should be able to hold the phone side on, braced against a wall.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I just got a Manfrotto one that is like $25 and I can’t figure out why I’ve waited this long to buy one. It’s very good. Holds my DSLR and GoPro really well too! It came with a little spring clamping holder for the phone that has a little kickstand so you can even have that hold it separately on a table or something to view.

Yeah, the Pixi with a holder seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, even down to the height (10" including the adapter). Thanks. :tipshat:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

fourwood posted:

I feel like it pops up reliably for me if I just tap the screen near the cursor.

I've literally hit return multiple times to add space, and it still highlights the last word/period/etc. when I want to paste a link or something else.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

fourwood posted:

If you’re just tapping? Not holding?

I hold, which I learned from Android. It's just so easy I didn't figure hold would be something else in iOS.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's not what you do or how you do it, it's who you know. :911:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I just wish they would loop if i kept scrolling in one direction.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The only good emojis are SA smilies.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Pivo posted:

Our company Slack has :10bux: and I can’t identify the goon

I dunno how slack works, but if it has a global channel, the challenge phrase is:

"Do you have stairs in your house?"

The answer phrase is, "Yes, I am protected,"

:ninja:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tell that to the CoD crew. We honor the old ways of stairs, and the LLJK clan tag. :corsair:

Would've reg'd in '03 if I had a credit card back then.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Weedle posted:

If I were in a Slack channel where this was asked I would never speak to the asker again

Then how will you be protected from the terrible secret of space?

We are here to protect you.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It should be remembered that the Samsung S4 had motion sense and they've never followed it up in the six iterations since.

The only other oem to have a time of flight sensor is LG with their current G8, and well, loving el oh el.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Fallom posted:

Do these companies even bother trying to figure out if users would enjoy these features?

That's not why Google does things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

I feel like the pixel phones have mostly been an extension of the nexus program. Google uses it to test the market and give devs something to play with imo. They never intended for people to use them as actual phones.

That's what phones at half the price are for. It's a prestige item to headline their product range; a GT40, except less reliable than the one Jeremy Clarkson owned.