Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I'm thinking of upgrading my 4S to a secondhand 5S (yeah I know).

Someone made a great post or might have been a link about what to look out for when buying second hand iPhones but I can't find it. Does anyone have it handy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I've had some fun errors, Mail opens as nothing but the wallpaper image and top bar. Also all my music keeps disappearing during shuffles, apart from Radiohead's Pyramid Song.

Apart from that I like it.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

How can you see how big your iCloud backup is? I don't want to back up my photos (and I have turned that off in the iCloud settings), but I still get a warning every time I plug my phone in that I need to upgrade my storage.

On phone; Settings > General > Usage

I had the same issue, it won't delete the photos it had uploaded before you changed the option but you can do it from the menu

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I want to try one of the keyboard apps, which is the best regarded?

(and yeah, its taken me a year)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Yeah, I know the focus is more of an "app switcher," which is why it defaults more to the last app you used and thus you'd want to quickly switch to, rather than the one you were just in. But it does seem weird that they kind of changed the direction of things, pretty used to older stuff being on the right. I guess it will just take some getting used to.

My biggest iOS 9 gripe is still the music app. Okay, cool, you added in a "Shuffle All" button, but now I have a persistent banner reminding me that it's showing me only music on my iPhone. Okay? Cool? Can I dismiss it? Could it even just stay at the top of the screen and go away when I scroll? gently caress You?

I have the opposite problem. It's listing a bunch of music I don't plan to listen to ever again and I can't find anyway to hide it.

Including U2

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

5s definitely more sluggish.

It's a bit faster on mine, especially Siri.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Am I being daft or have they removed the Now Playing button on the default podcast app? Eeesshhh

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Snuffman posted:

Like the new music app, whatever's playing appears as a bar across the bottom of the screen, just above unplayed/my podcasts/search...etc.

Weird at first but I got used to it.

Thanks for the response. I meant more along the lines of closing podcast.app and then coming in to resume it later. There used to be a 'now playing' that would resume the last podcast, its gone now so I have to delve into the list of podcasts and find the episode.

Meanwhile i could be doing something worthwhile like posting on sa

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Now that the iCloud prices are a bit more reasonable. I wouldn't mind having all my pictures in a centralized location. Previously, I've been connecting my iPhone to my computer and manually dragging the pictures into my Google Drive account. What is the best way to get my Google Drive pictures into my iCloud or iPhone at this point?

Does the Google photos app work both ways? if so you might just be able to set it download your pics into the icloud folder on a mac

e: sorry for the double post there

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 18, 2015

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I use outlook on my phone for work emails. It froze during an update and the download pie thing never finished. So I deleted it and redownloaded the app. Now it's just a black box that's not downloading and I can't delete it.

I've reset etc, anything else I can do?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I thought it was called Find Me Friends and am bitterly disappointed and lonely

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I don't use iMessages at all, is there a way to remove all the media/app buttons by the text box when sending messages?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I will only use iMessage if sending this is possible

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Can you post a screenshot of this because it sounds horrific.
So glad I'm not on IOS10.

I've already removed as much I could in settings. I only recently updated to 10 and regretting it :(

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I know it's a goony pedantic gripe, but my muscle memory from the old os keeps making me tap when the app icon is. Which does nothing.

Also as I type this some guy is stood really close to me on the train despite the carriage being empty. Is this one of you guys?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Basically imagine I'm here freaking out about not being able to remove the Stocks app a few years ago.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I found a 6+/6s+ phone out at work. Its battery had died and the screen was slightly cracked but otherwise all good.

Had to charge the phone to activate it, and its passcoded. It got a normal text from a number that I messaged to try and get hold of the owner, but they've not got back to me.

I don't think they have siri activated, because holding the button down brings up the old blue screen. I've tried telling it to phone home, husband, etc. But nothing yet. I assume it'll probably want the password before letting me call anyway.

Several times its got voicemails I can't listen to, but it doesn't seem to ring first. Does it need to have that first unlock for this?

I'll pass it on to police tomorrow if nothing else, but can you guys think of a way to contact its owner?

edit: no emergency info or anything either.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

tuyop posted:

Sigh, ideally the owner would turn on lost mode and leave some method to contact them. Try leaving it plugged in overnight so it can be pinged by find my iPhone, then turn it into the police or the lost and found where you picked it up.

The people I contacted got hold of the owner who collected it just now. She was old, and I don't think she had any of the Find my Phone features activated.

But a happy ending, because thats a lot of money to lose.

But yeah, police would have been where I dropped it today. Cheers.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Stop distracting yourselves when you're driving

:agreed:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

They should dress like the PC in those funny ads from a few years ago.

I forget what they were advertising

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

What are the actual benefits of a curved screen like the Samsungs?

Asking for real

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

MrMPH posted:

I did some reading (and a quick forum search) and couldnt find the answer to my question. This seems like it would deserve its own thread based on the popularity of this request.

I purchased an iPhone off of CL (for fairly cheap) and it has an iCloud activation lock on it. Of course, the original buyer doesnt remember the login information. I've read that using XAMPP and Duolci with a certificate injector (Fiddler) was the best method (around a year ago). Does anyone have any experience with this homebrew workaround?

Does it display the email for the account, and then 'insert password'? Because you should email them and return their stolen phone and contact the police.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Sounds like a bit of a dim error for Apple to make

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Is there a reason why iCloud drive is so crap? Upload some notes onto the drive on my mb, it upload completes. But the file absolutely refuses to appear on the phone app.

STEVE IS ROLLI-

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

My 5S is falling apart (literally - unfortunately), so its time for a change.

Looking at either a 6S or a 7 - but there doesn't seem to be much change other than the faster processor and lack of headphone port

Has anyone switched from the 6S > 7, are the changes worth spending quite a bit more on?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

No. iPhone is for cool dudes like me, not nerds like you.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

- Steve Jobs, 2007

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

The Dave posted:

Long press on the refresh button to get the option in safari. It's not a setting that sticks though It's just site to site for that session I think.

... mindblown

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Pivo posted:

Yes you can

and more

That looks pretty awful imo

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Is there an app to flush the toilet yet?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

GoldfishStew posted:

Everyone get the SE.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I really like the iOS 11 feature that by disabling WiFi in control Center the phone almost instantly crashes and has to be hard reset.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

How do I stop my phone replacing is with I.S every single time? Resetting the dictionary didn't work and it's not set up as a shortcut, although I tried to set up a is to is one. Didn't work!

Does my phone just really support Islamic state?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Not a massive issue but getting a bit annoying. Every other day my phone is popping up asking me to put my passwords in my store account and iCloud account.

Unfortunately I’m not in a place where I can full reset/restore at the moment, and resetting settings didn’t sort it.

Anyone aware of a solution?

E for clarification: I am putting in my password, but it’ll forget it and request it again after a day or so

Ratjaculation fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 7, 2018

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Well that’s poo poo. Thankfully it tends to be when I unlock my phone, and I don’t have many apps - only really the big ones like messenger.

I’ll change my passwords anyway. Thanks.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

You should probably watch better shows if you have to resort to reading the somethingawful forums whilst watching them

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Lucky they let you off for that crime, you Nordy boy

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Pivo posted:

That’s weird. I just had to reboot my X because it got stuck on 3G with no data. Reboot and full bars of LTE. iOS bug, baseband bug, or carrier side bug?

I get this when moving about a lot so I assume it’s something to do with towers

I find turning airplane mode on for 5 secs fixes it

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Hello, anyone found a good way of using 2 whatsapp numbers on the same phone? I’ve found a number of third party apps (whatsapp++/whatsapp2) by googling, but want to see if such apps will allow someone to hack my phone and see my plethora of nude photos

Are they legit safe? If there another way?

E: I moved to the other side of the world, and still use my old number on whatsapp so people can reach me - but I need to use my new number on it too for work soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Evis posted:

This is unwise. I would suggest buying a super cheap iPod touch or using the desktop whatsapp if that works. (I’ve never used it myself)

Thanks, yeah will avoid dodgy downloads.

Didn’t know about the web version, that might be my solution.