Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Well, iOS 11 made me flee their awful Podcast app and now iBooks has done the same. I thought the problem was my iPhone 6 being to weak to handle it, but I just bought an 8 and it does the same damned thing. If iBooks is playing an audiobook, and you pause for more than say, 30 seconds, the damned OS unloads the app. Of course, it reloads much faster now with the 8, but gently caress Apple, you’ve just lost another iBooks customer forever.

So, anyone wanna rave about their favorite audiobook ecosystem/app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I can cheerfully report that the Audible app is happy to stay loaded in memory for days even when not running and come back to life exactly like it should, i.e. instantly. gently caress Podcasts and IBooks forever. Overcast and Audible have you covered with non-poo poo apps and non-drm media. Apple done hosed up. I was fine with their locked ecosystem as long as it worked. Now their garbage-tier apps lose them money.

I really hope Android gets their poo poo together someday so I have a viable alternative to Apple. Apart from this recent poo poo Apple still just nails the execution of just about everything in ways Android still doesn’t. I gave serious thought to switching but still just can’t do it.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I decided to finally upgrade to PB4 after my phone decided out of the clear blue to dial 911 while I was driving. It was plugged into my stereo usb playing an audiobook as usual when it squawked a siren noise I’d never hear before, then my infotainment screen says DIALING 911...

I would love to know wtf that was about and also that it will never happen again.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Dugong posted:

Pretty incredible that Apple has made the Mail app worse in iOS 13.

How is this even possible?

Speaking of lovely apps - or maybe operating systems - does anyone else have audio apps crash on them when they pause in the car for longer than 60 seconds, at a drive through window or something? Happens all the time in both Audible and Overcast. I suspect it’s because iOS is trying to suspend their process thinking they’re idle and the app just can’t handle it. I wish I could disable any optimization or backgrounding or whatever for select apps.

Then there’s the mystery of the self-dialing 911 call. I’ll be driving with my phone plugged into my car via usb, just chilling in my passenger seat with the display off and locked. There’s nothing touching the screen or any button, and just out of the blue it will make two loud siren sounds, pause whatever it’s playing, and just start dialing 911. It’s a pretty rare occurrence but it’s happened at least 4 times this year that I can remember.

I wish we had a new Jobs to force attention to detail again.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I just had an odd, and expensive, experience with my iPhone 8. I was in a national park doing some hiking, as I am wont to do most Saturday mornings, listening to a podcast on Overcast. The podcast ended and I realized I wanted to play it again because there was some info at the end I had missed and wanted to listen to again. Unfortunately my settings auto-delete podcasts as soon as they finish, so I had to download the episode again. Well I’m out in the woods and my signal was poor so it was just taking too long and I said hell with it I’ll do it later. I moved onto the next podcast on my list and didn’t give it another thought. 10 minutes later I get a text from Verizon saying I’m almost out of data. I’ve had the same 2GB data plan for over a decade and I never even come close to going over. Never. The way I use my phone simply doesn’t consume much cellular data, and certainly not less than 10 days into my billing cycle.

Before I had time to wonder WTF was going on I got another text saying I’d gone over my cap and was charged $15. Moments later I got a third text saying I was about to eat another $15 charge for going over another gigabyte. I immediately disabled cellular and finished my hike. When I got back to my car I tried checking my data usage but as ever the “current period” that the iPhone reports on seems to be “forever” so I couldn’t really get a read on what was happening. So I disabled cellular data for Overcast, assuming it was the culprit, plugged the phone into my car via USB and drove home. When I got home and picked up my phone it was HOT. Like summer in the sun hot. So I decided to power it off and see if maybe a little rest will help. Meantime I checked my data usage at Verizon’s website. It’s basically a flatline until the time I started downloading that 20 minute podcast out in the woods. Then it starts spiking, showing several hundred megabytes per minute until I put a stop to it. I would guess that podcast topped out at about 10MB in size...

Anyone seen anything like this before?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

yamdankee posted:

Yeah something similar happened to me a few months ago. I was out doing some errands and stuff not even using my phone. I take it out at the checkout line to see 3 messages from Verizon, "you're almost out of data!", "you're out of data!", "you've been charged again!" So I call Verizon immediately in a panic, worst case scenario in the back of my mind that they won't cooperate with me or believe it's some kind of glitch. After like 30 minutes finally getting to a real person, transferred multiple times after repeating myself a bunch, I describe the problem again and again, they have me do the usual idiot checks, "Did you know sir that apps like Instagram can update even while you're not..."

"...Oh snap, you at 24GB in the last 3 hours!" I smile as his reading-from-a-prompt tone fell apart and he finally understood something was actually wrong. They temporarily switched me to an unlimited data plan for the month and had me install some kind of app that uploaded data usage to them, as dubious as that sounds...

A month later I get a "Welcome to unlimited data!" email with a much higher bill. Another phone call/chat session to go back to the old plan. A month after that? "Welcome to unlimited data!" as the person a month ago didn't make it a permanent reversion to the old plan. Man it was a mess.

They waived all fees, though.

lovely as it is to say, I’ve been watching carefully and my usage has been normal since the incident, so rather than deal with all of their poo poo I’m just going to eat the $30. At this point I’ll chalk it up to an Overcast bug and count my lucky stars that this kind of fuckery doesn’t happen more often with all the free apps I use.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

tuyop posted:

Switching over to bitwarden I don’t like how it doesn’t put the little button in the credential fields like LP did, but it’s really good so far otherwise. Loved the ease of setup and I’ll probably chuck :10bux:/year their way for the premium features and to keep the project going

I miss this too, but you can press ctrl + shift + L on your keyboard and it will auto fill if it can figure out how. Once you get used to doing that it’s actually faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Stare-Out posted:

My third pair of Lightning earbuds broke like the others and I've had it. I'm not going to spend 100+ euros on Bluetooth earbuds but there are plenty under ranging from 7 euros (yeah those are sure to be great) to like 49 euros that I'd be willing to go for instead of the 19 euro Lightning pieces of garbage. What am I in for with the cheaper stuff? I mostly listen to podcasts and audiobooks but wouldn't mind using them for music and phone calls. Aside from the Apple tax, why is the price gap so huge?

I adored both pairs of AirPods I owned, but they suffer from the dumbest engineering flaws which I am convinced are intentional so they get to sell a lot more than they might otherwise.

So, I got these: https://www.amazon.com/Jabra-Wireless-Advanced-Cancelling-Earbuds/dp/B09HLCJ844. I love them. I got a refurb pair and Jabra does it right. They were like new and one year in are still going strong. Excellent sound quality and decent ANC. Not as good as Apple, but close, and I expect they’ll last me another year or two at least before they crap out, better than Apple in that respect for sure. Good luck!