Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
If I use Bluetooth headphones (if that makes a difference) and google maps navigation is there a way to turn up the volume of the audio directions but not any music or podcasts that are playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So on my iPhone is it possible to have it automatically read text messages when I receive them?

Particularly when I'm connected via blue tooth headphones.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
When I use my Bluetooth headphones to make phone calls the screen turns on. I think it then sometimes stays on because it's in my pocket touching stuff.

Is there anyway to turn that off?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Pivo posted:

No, and gently caress you for asking. - Apple, probably.

Thanks, I think.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Are there any advantages to using iCloud over OneDrives automatic syncing? I only have a 32gb ipad so end up having to delete stuff anyway.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Normal apple headphones leak like a sieve, so hopefully these are better .

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

tuyop posted:

Why do European food packages do weird poo poo like list decilitres and centilitres for volume but not decigrams or centigrams for mass?

In Canada it’s just X.X litres for anything over a litre and X millilitres for everything under a litre.

Oops, wrong thread!

I want to know what thread this is for.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

1) I don't know what a PAC code number is, but you should be able to just swap SIMs.

PAC stands for Portable Account Code and is what we use to switch numbers between phone contracts in the UK (EU?), you just request it from your current provider and give it to your new one. You don’t need it for just putting your SIM in a new unlocked phone.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So iPhones 7’s are significantly cheaper on eBay in the UK, especially for the higher storage models. They seem to have good reviews and ebays money back promise but is there some common scam I’m missing?

Would they be swapping parts or anything as they come from China?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
How long do you people spend in the shower!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Why would sourcing the panels from Samsung make a difference? They’re just another supplier, same as for the rest of the parts.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Taima posted:

It's also worth noting that Apple takes a bath on OLED due to being forced to source from Samsung

Sure Samsung makes the best quality screens, but that’s a very different statement to the above. I’ve just seen this idea a couple of times but haven’t seen anything to indicate that Samsung’s screen manufacturing division doesn’t have a perfectly normal supplier/purchaser relationship with a major customer.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Are there any videos of how to use the dual sim feature? I’m most interested in if it will be possible to completely mute (including notifications) one sim at a time. It would mean not needing a work phone but I’m not interested in getting calls out of hours.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So I’m having this bug with memories on my iPad, it just shows a black screen while the music carries on playing. I think it might be failing to download the images from iCloud?

Has anyone else experienced this?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Also once you get it done, you're still left with an ancient piece of tech that's worse at being an iPod than an actual iPod.

I’m also wondering what the battery life will be like at this point...

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I really want the dual SIM feature, but not enough networks in the countries I need it to support esims yet. If only that Chinese model worked on EU frequencies.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Is one of the SIM slots your home country phone number? You could make that one your eSIM and then swap SIMs via the tray as you go.

Yeah but only EE, the most expensive network, supports it at the moment. I’m hoping it will become more common but visual voicemail didn’t so who knows.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So my iPhone 6 is dying and I want a replacement but don’t want to pay for an iPhone 10. I was hoping that an iPhone 8 would feel like a real upgrade, but am I correct that it’s basically the same in terms of screen (size and resolution), battery life and features?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

tuyop posted:

Well sure, except it’s much faster, has wireless charging, force touch, a much better camera, and the newest touchid sensor.

The speed is the main thing I hope to get as opening apps like OneNote can be slow right now. The rest doesn’t seem to make much difference?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

iPhone 8 is good but at that point seriously just get an X

That’s actually a good idea - I thought they were like £1000 but I’ve looked and I can get a refurbished X in ‘good condition’ for about £510 compared with £350 for the 8. And at least the screen seems like a major upgrade!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

XBenedict posted:

The magazine selection isn't spectacular. Maybe the main reason to do it would be if you wanted the WSJ and NYT. Individually, both of those digital subs are more than $10/month.

Is the NYT really part of it? Or is it only a ‘selection’

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So I went ahead and bought a refurbished iPhone X on eBay (from MusicMagpie) for £435. It’s only in ‘good’ condition which is the lowest category but I don’t really mind cosmetic damage as it will go in a case.

I’m a bit worried that they may have used substandard parts to replace the screen or back- does anyone know how to check that, or which other components I should check?

It has a 14 day return period so I can’t really wait long term to see.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

TVs Ian posted:

If it has a replaced back, it won’t have an Apple logo. If that’s the case, odds are good that the frame and various small cables (volume button, wireless charging coil, etc) were replaced, or they unwelded the camera ring and probably just glued it back on.

As far as the screens go, there are three replacement possibilities. LED (noticeably worse image quality), hard OLED (very close image quality, but more likely to break), and soft OLED (almost as good as the hard OLED, as durable as the original). No real way to tell short of holding next to an X with an original screen.

The battery could have also been replaced - if Battery Status still says 100%, or you connect it to a PC with an app that can read it (we use 3u tools at work) and it has a very low number of charge cycles, it was probably swapped. Or the phone was barely used, possibly due to breaking the screen or something early. The only real way to tell would be to pop it open and look for the Apple logo on the battery.

Thanks! Having received it I don’t think they’ve gone to the trouble of replacing parts as it’s pretty beat up. The logo is on the back, and don’t have anything to compare the screen to, but it was very helpful to have a checklist.

Edit: I figure 89 per cent battery life is ok but I do have a weird issue with the top speaker being much quieter than the bottom which is annoying.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 3, 2019

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
On my old iPhone there used to be an indicator in the top right corner with the battery life of my Bluetooth headphones. Is there a way to enable that on the X?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I’m so glad that Apple earphones don’t isolate people from outside sounds. It’s difficult enough to get people to pay attention to what they’re doing as it is.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So casting Netflix from iphones to apple tvs doesn’t work anymore?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there any way of seeing the date easily in an iPhone 10? It annoys me how far I have to scroll down to see it on the notification shade when it used to be at the top.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Those all involve leaving the app I’m in apart from the shade. Maybe it’s just because I have small hands, that swiping all the way done is annoying, you can’t even use the accessibility feature.

They should make it so the date shows up before you have to swipe 80 per cent of they way down

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is it possible to copy part of a text message?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Has anyone tried the ‘Express Transit’ feature of Apple Pay? Apparently the new update lets you use bank cards directly rather than dedicated transit cards.

This means it could be used on TfL services but I’m a little worried about security.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

~Coxy posted:

I'm not sure what your security concern is exactly but contactless transactions use a one-time number that is useless to an eavesdropper.

The express transit option doesn’t require authentication (Touch ID, Face ID) as it’s only supposed to work with transit readers (gates in TfL’s case).

I’m curious how they can identity those contactless readers though as otherwise it could be used without authentication for other payments.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I’m just here to say everyone lies about FaceID. It’s way more inconvenient then Touch ID. I had no idea how often I check things on my phone in meetings or laying down.

And I have no idea how Android users use the fingerprint reader on the back of the phone.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

JamesOff posted:

You’ve been able to use Apple Pay (with a bank/credit card) for TfL for a number of years now. I haven’t used my Oyster card in ages. It just comes straight out of your account, after a day so it has time to do the travel card optimisation stuff.

Yeah I get that and have used it, but you need to authenticate with either touch or Face ID. The new feature let’s you tap in without that and apparently uses some sort of minimal reserve power so you can use it for a couple of hours after your phone has ‘run out’ of power.

Anyway the Apple support page says it’s not supported by TFL yet so I’ll have to wait and see.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Isn’t there only one 5g capable phone on the market right now- and it’s huge.?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there a way to see my data usage by calendar month?

I’ve seen some screenshots that seem to show it as possible, but if I go to settings > mobile data it only gives me the nebulous ‘current period’ which I believe you have to reset manually.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

I reset it every month on the date my billing cycle ends

Don’t janitor your phone.

Kerbtree posted:

Does your mobile provider have an app?

ed: in the UK it's a standard feature.

Yeah, but I was hoping there would be some way to automate cutting off data when you set a limit. There doesn’t seem to be.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I meant that ironically by the way. It sucks there’s so little control.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Vegetable posted:

On a side note, I wish they'd move all the touch and swipe controls to the bottom. These are large screens. I shouldn't have to stretch my thumb to the top to see my notifications or access the control center. Design philosophy for large touchscreen phones should be to concentrate all of the navigation at the bottom.

I agree completely.

There was something about Siri being able to read and respond to incoming texts via voice. Is there any information about whether that only applies with AirPods and the built in message app- or could it work with other Bluetooth headphones and WhatsApp?

I vaguely remember windows phone could do this years ago.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there any prediction for how long an iPhone 7 Plus would continue to be updated for?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Wait they can’t take 3D press away from me, I just got it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I’ve looked in the podcast forum but couldn’t fined anything relevant. If I wanted to record podcasts using either my iPad or iPhone is this a good idea and what equipment I would need?

Ideally I would like a microphone that could be used with iOS devices and a Windows Laptop depending on need but I’m not sure what the minimum array of adapters I can get away with is- and what would give the best audio quality?

If the microphone could also in future be used with a camera that would be a bonus. Currently I use an ‘inherited’ zoom h6 hand recorder with a stereo mic attachment but would like to reduce equipment and have something simpler.

Any recommendations?