Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

So with the scaling issues, how bad of a performance hit are we talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How are we supposed to know that with zero reviews?

Yea true point. Sorry!

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

serebralassazin posted:

It worked fine for me at 2:30 EST. I was ready for it to be crazy slow but it wasn't even bad. Maybe people are starting to get out of work and pick up their phones so it's taking a hit now.

I started and got the restore incomplete message. I'll wait until I get home and can do it via the iTunes back up.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Got it fully hooked up. Cannot wait for apps to be fully optimized. Love the feel of the phone in my hand. Got the 6 64gb space grey.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

So far so good

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Definitely see the wifi issue on my 6, but minus that pretty satisfied with it and iOS 8. Apple gets that and the third party kb stuff working better, icing on the cake.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Just did it at McDonald's. Such a nerd.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

I would imagine a lot of companies buy the 16gb phones since you're not supposed/able to put stuff on your work phone anyway,

This is how it is where I work but it doesn't stop people

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Still enjoying the 6 a lot. Wish the bezels were thinner and battery was better.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

goodness posted:

What's wrong with your battery? Does it last the whole day?

I am on it almost all day long, streaming music/facebook/etc. and it still has over 10-15% when I get home at night.

Nothing is wrong, it does get me through the day. Just in general, I'd rather have a slightly thicker iPhone with better battery life. Hoping that in the next generation of phone and iOS, we will see some of that.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Feenix posted:

8.2 is out. Holy crap is that icon for the Apple Watch App (a new default stock app you can't delete) ugly.

Agreed. It's REALLY ugly. And yes, it's a default app. Can chuck it in a folder, but can't get rid of it.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Snuffman posted:

I think that's the longest fix list I've ever seen for an iOS update. Not to say Apple doesn't fix a lot of things with each update, it just feels odd them actually telling us what specific things they fixed.

Usually it's just "bugs and performance fixes" but that's an itemized list. :stare:

Apple did some major work on 8.3. Thank goodness. Hopefully the rumors that iOS 9 will be Snow Leopard like (light on new features, more on refinement and bug fixes) prove to be true.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Ordered. Got the 64gb space gray 6S+. Happy birthday to me. Very easy to do via the app. Normally I go through Verizon directly, but kept getting promoted to switch to a metered DP.

With my oldest step daughter watching Netflix all the time on my phone now, not willing to give up unlimited yet

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

+1

Also iOS 9 has a random disappearing keyboard bug with STOCK keyboard when you switch to iMessage from a Notification :bang:

They haven't fixed this in iOS 9? Ugh. It bugged the poo poo out of me in 8 and was hoping it was fixed.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

I think the reason why third party keyboards were initially a big deal was because the Apple keyboard felt dated, and lacking options compared to others on other platforms. And if Apple wasn't going to update it, then allow the users alternatives.

My fiancé used swiftkey on her old android phone, and wouldn't even consider an iPhone without it.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is it true that iOS9 has opened up the Quick Reply API that only iMessage had before? I Could swear I saw news that Facebook was getting that. Swipe down to reply instantly is so good (and also... doesn't work with Third Party keyboards very well while we're on the subject ;) )

Hoping the next update to fb messenger brings this

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

unlawfulsoup posted:

I had a fun time with my icloud account somehow being linked to an ancient email address which really really gummed up my backup restore. Now that it's settled, I am finally getting to use the phone. I guess I have gigantic hands because I can use the 6s+ with one hand with no problem. I can't imagine going to a midget phone again.

Also force touch makes no loving sense to me. How much force does it take to activate?

I'm the same way. I thought going from the 6 to the plus would be a big difference but it's not.

And I agree, does take some getting used to with 3D Touch

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Here we go, event kicking off

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Watch os up on deck first

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Yup happened to me as well. Ton of people over in Macrumors too. First time I've ever had an issue doing an OTA update from Apple

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

badjohny posted:

Anyone having an issue with the long press to bring up bubbles in chat. The long press in the arrow? Mine is apparently not working. It worked in beta 2 or 3 or the last time I tried it. It it's not working anymore. Did they take that out?

Yup I'm trying and I can't get it to work either. Is there an option to turn this on? Or should it be on by default?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Think I figured it out. Check if reduce motion is on. Turned this off and it is working for me now

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Just saw on Apples website the AirPods are finally available for purchase.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Am I the only one a bit underwhelmed with ios11? Logic indicates they are holding a bit back for the next iPhone, but was hoping for a new KB. updates to the springboard, etc. The iPad enhancements look great though

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

From Ars, looks like no support for the last of the 32bit devices for ios11

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/06/goodbye-32-bit-ios-11-ends-support-for-the-iphone-5-and-the-ipad-4/

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Man I’d love the AirPods but they don’t work with my ears!

Anyone else with that issue? Surely I’m not the only one ever to have this problem

You’re not the only one :(

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Went with the black 11, 64gb. Going from my X, the OLED wasn't enough to keep me from going with the killer t mobile trade in deal.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

AstroZamboni posted:

The iOS update didn't download properly, but tried to install as if it had. My phone went into a "thought it was bricked" shame spiral and I left for the fruit stand. On the way there I was in a car accident.

loving iOS update fuckery gently caress.

You okay??

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Perfect upgrade for my mother in law, and she won’t have to learn gestures and everything else moving up to a 10 series or 11.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Painless preorder from T-Mobile this year. Grabbed a pacific blue pro 128gb. I really missed the telephoto lens, happy to have that back

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Small White Dragon posted:

I keep waiting for them to bring this to the iPhone.

You would think this would be a slam dunk, especially with the pandemic. Power button touch ID.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Probably the easiest time I had. Got the 256gb sierra blue PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Is anyone who would've gotten the 128GB 13 Pro getting the 256GB instead because the 128GB only does ProRes video recording at 1080p30 compared to 4k30 for the others? I have no need for ProRes but I wonder if it'll affect resale value.

(Probably not enough to make up the $100 difference and I should just buy the 256GB if I think I need the extra space)

Me right here. Got the upgraded storage for this feature, specifically because of upcoming trips.