Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

It was quite unequivocally clear. Reading comprehension is low here sometimes.

A friend of mine just bought a Zagg glass protector this morning. He's thrilled with it so far. Lifetime warranty, like all Zagg screen protectors, so should you ever scratch or crack it a new one is free. He used their HDX protectors on previous phones and those seem to be great too.

He's actually stopping by in a few to drop something off; I'll update this post when I get a look at it.

Bought a Zagg glass protector for the iPhone 6. I don't normally go with a protector, but I figured I'd give it a shot since it was glass. I think it's pretty awful. They very clearly made it based on the screen size before the dimensions of the phone were actually released, because it's literally just wide enough to cover the screen, does not touch the side bezels at all, and is short on the top/bottom bezel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Agronox posted:

No, it should, but some spiteful retailers and restaurants have the ability to take Apple Pay but turned it off. It's annoying.

I thought the NFC terminal had to support tokenization as well.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

Google released an Android Wear app for iOS, it seems it largely will interact with Hangouts, Inbox, and the other Google ecosystem apps.

It only works for now on the LG Urbane, which is $350; so it's actually more expensive than an Apple Watch for less function.

Isn't the minimum price for an Apple Watch the same $350?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Haggins posted:

Yeah for sure. People seem to forget that the original iPhone didn't do much either. I think the main reason it took off is that it had a reliable browser that was easy to use and could load almost any webpage. That and it didn't constantly crash like every other smart phone at the time.

I see the same thing with the Apple watch. It doesn't do everything yet but it sure does a lot more than a dumb watch just as the original iPhone did a lot more than a dumb phone.

Partly, yes. I think it's biggest accomplishment was treating the phone experience as its own unique thing instead of trying to make it a small computer like WinMo and Palm had been doing, likely just as an extension of the PDA philosophy of being a "productivity" device first and entertainment/leisure device second.

Edit: To be clear, anyone trying to argue that Android Wear on iOS is anywhere close to the functionality of the Apple Watch on iOS is bonkers. Google will always be limited in how functional Wear can be on iOS, but it's nice to see them at least try.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Who's going to check if that works with Touch ID?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I had a 6, gave it to a friend, bought a 6+, then eventually swapped with that friend to go back to the 6. The 6+ was just too unwieldy, and the benefits didn't outweigh that in my use case.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

What if my iPhone has a case but I'm naked?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

He's trying to.

And it's not worth anything. They will recycle it, but no way is anyone going to give out money for a phone with a hosed battery.

xzzy posted:

Promising advertisements how my old 5 is worth $100 apple store credit, answered questionnaire regarding phone condition on their site truthfully, and once the phone shows up at their facility they shift the quote to $0, because the phone is starting to show signs of a swelling battery and it's discoloring the screen a little bit. Fine whatever, I get that the phone isn't in perfect condition but maybe you should have asked about that before giving me a quote.
If the display was discoloring because of the battery pushing on it, you didn't answer the question about the display being good outside of normal wear correctly.
Even aside from that, it's not that the phone "isn't in perfect condition" it's that it's literally developing a condition that could end with an exploding battery. No company is going to give you money for that phone if they catch a swelling battery.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 18, 2016

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

xzzy posted:

They only ask if the screen is in good condition and specifically state "normal wear is okay". They only ask if the battery holds a charge. The website only offers checkboxes and there's no text fields. Battery swelling is super common for the 5/5s generations and they probably deal with thousands of them a month. I don't think it's unreasonable that they be upfront about what they do in that case.

(Especially as it is easily refurbished with a new battery if they intend to resell it)

Screen discoloration due to swelling components isn't "normal wear", that's why I called that out. If my screen is discolored, I don't consider that to be in good condition.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Riven posted:

Apple Music in iOS 10 is also a massive improvement, and has the weekly discover playlist functionality

It's laid out better, but I really don't know what the UI designers were thinking. Thick, large typefaces stick out like a sore thumb on iOS and they went overboard with animated transitions, scaling, etc.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

~Coxy posted:

IOS will nag the gently caress out of you if you turn off Wifi, plus it's annoying to have to turn on and off all the time.

There's a toggle in the Wi-Fi settings to stop that.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

~Coxy posted:

I think that might be only for captive portal networks. I just checked and there is definitely no setting for whether to auto-join my work network or not. There is only "forget this network" which is bad obviously.

What I quoted said iOS would "nag the gently caress out of you" if WiFi is off. I'm assuming that's the popups to join a network, which'll stop if that's toggled.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Avocados posted:

The thing I don't like about iOS is that there's a whole lot of little nuances that are useful but practically invisible unless you stumble upon them accidentally (like doing a horizontal swipe to read time stamps in messages).

When I first got my iPhone I popped into the thread to ask if there was more of these little features but didn't get any helpful responses. I guess you could google "iPhone tips and tricks" and wade through backwater listicle websites.

I've never ventured into it, but does that iOS Tips app provide anything useful?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

~Coxy posted:

iCloud backup does not backup Health or passwords and even the average grandma has more than 5GB (of accidental screenshots) in her camera roll so I'm not sure why it's even being recommended.

Because even if you have a shitload of photos, it's $12/yr to never worry about or manually manage that poo poo ever. And someone already pointed out Health.app and passwords do back up.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

Wait, were they the buds or the pods? The buds never worked for me, but I've never found in-ear headphones that fit better than Apple EarPods. I've probably bought a dozen pairs over the years (cheap surplus stock online, not full price).

I guess I'm lucky I have odd shaped ears.

Yeah, I'm not sure I've found anyone who's enjoyed the fit of those. They don't fall out of my ears, but they're not comfortable to wear for a long period of time. I was initially high on the wireless EarPods, but man. Thinking about it, it's $150 for... wireless versions of the standard, not great sounding Apple pack-in buds. While I know you can't understate the convenience, that's a lot to ask for what's ultimately subpar fit (for me) and subpar audio quality.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

rear end Catchcum posted:

No one cares except next week when someone asks for a password keeper recommendation.

And I'll look down and whisper... Dashlane.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

muike posted:

My Iphone 4 won't turn on or manually reset, and Itunes doesn't recognize it. But, when I hook it up to my computer and hold down both buttons to reset it, my PC makes the disconnect and reconnect jingle. Any ideas?

Try entering DFU mode then plugging into your computer, as well as trying a different cable and USB port. I'm phone posting so I don't have the instructions on how to do that handy, but a quick Google search should give you what you need.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

yeah being siri linked is a big turn off for me w/r/t these EarPods.

It's so loving poo poo compared to Google Now. The only thing I miss about android.

Google Now can't read text messages.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

:sigh:

Except one of the main reasons headphones fall out of your ear holes is the wired cable that tends to enhance, not reduce our planet's already significant gravitational pull.

They may still not stay in your ears for poo poo, but every indication is they're more secure without the cable.

If you love Earpods, set them free. If they don't fall out then they're yours. If they fall out they were never meant to be.

Yeah, I'm actually kinda coming around on the idea of the AirPods. I just picked up a 7 Plus and have been giving the Lightning EarPods a second chance, and they're not terrible. They fit well enough, and let just enough sound in that I feel aware of my surroundings when I'm walking outdoors. Sound quality isn't outstanding, but it's certainly good enough for the casual listening at the office I do 90% of the time.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

After being pleasantly surprised by the Lightning EarPods, I was planning on picking up a pair of AirPods 'til I got some other wireless headphones for Christmas. I don't know if they've done anything to improve the EarPods sound quality since launch, but they sounded better than I remembered.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

nikki ashton posted:

Anyone out there got a pair of other headphones with the w1 chip?

Got some Solo3's for Christmas. They sound good enough for me, I'm impressed with the fit and finish, and the battery on these suckers is bonkers. I listen for anywhere from say, 4-6 hours a day and I've used these guys for three days sans charging and they're still at something like 60% battery.

e: They also paired super easily with my iPhone 7; transitioning from iPhone to iPad isn't completely seamless, but all it takes is choosing the Beats as an output device in whatever music app I'm using and they switch over. No having to fumble with the Bluetooth settings menu or anything.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 6, 2017

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

These last few pages are worse than any Android thread I've ever read on these forums, and I had a dude threaten to beat me up because I made fun of his dumb watch.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

astral posted:

Did you pay for the Airpods with a card that has a purchase protection benefit? If so, you could check the terms of your card benefits to see if your purchase was eligible and find out how to file a claim if so.

jabro posted:

I bought them off eBay so have no proof of purchase.

Don't know much about those types of programs via CC companies, would that cover an eBay purchase?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

decypher posted:

Do people really think the 2017 iPhone will be anything other than the 7S? They won't reveal the edge to edge display until 2018, in my opinion.

Yes.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

As someone who is not an audiophile, I enjoy my Solo 3s. They're not as overboard with the bass as previous on-ear Beats I'd heard, but nothing out of this world. The killer feature, though, is the battery life. I don't really know what sort of magic they use, but with mixed wired/wireless use for a majority of my work week, I've only had to charge these three times since early January, which is insane.
They're comfortable, last forever on a charge, and sound fine, and that's worth it for me.

e: I'm also never listening to anything other than 320kbps MP3s (at best) via my iPhone, iPad or laptop, and it's never a situation where I'm sitting down and really need peak quality, just something where it's not going to sound like compressed rear end.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 17, 2017

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

~Coxy posted:

Sure, but it's weird how they have this half-relevant timestamp feature that doesn't update often enough to be useful versus the weird swipe and hold gesture.

Oh, and no option for it. When they have plenty of options for less useful features.

...moving your thumb roughly an inch to see the timestamp when you need to see it isn't a sensible solution?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Just going to go ahead and say this now:

Don't install the iOS 11 beta if you don't like dealing with poo poo battery life and software bugs.

I will come to your place of residence and make fun of you if you complain.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

badjohny posted:

So in ios 11, how do i choose my AirPods for music? I can’t find anything in the new control panel. I figure I am overlooking something obvious, but I have force pressed every icon I can find and I don’t see a away to select your AirPods.

Glazier posted:

From what I can see it's gone in control center, but is there in individual apps and the generic video player. My assumption is they are going to go all in on the W1 and automatic switching going forward, and this is their way of getting people weaned off that kind of manual control.

Force press the music controls, tap the AirPlay icon, choose the output.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

I'm mostly joking, but yeah, for whatever reason they call it Force Touch on the Watch (and trackpads), and 3D Touch on phones.

I think it's 'cause Force Touch can only sense a press, and 3D Touch can differentiate between levels of pressure? I think?

e: also 3D Touch is great in Twitter and mail apps. Also photos. Also opening links.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Disco De Soto posted:

I bought a new iPhone 7 and used my iCloud backup to add all of my apps and settings (backed up from my iPhone 6). But for some reason 6 apps didn't get restored, and when I looked them up in the app store it says I haven't purchased them? Even one free metronome app wasn't installed. For the record the apps that are now saying I haven't paid for them are NBA Jam, Icewind Dale, X-Men, Dark Quest and Rain Pro.

Any idea what the issue is? The only pattern I can see is that apps I purchased recently WERE restored. So why weren't the others restored? Is it because I'm on holiday in a different region? Is it because I still have them installed on my old iPhone? I really don't want to delete them from my old phone in case I need proof of purchase.

Could be they were actually purchased using someone else's Apple ID. Or region stuff. Or piracy.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

IIRC they got rid of the big volume box.

Only in fullscreen video on the iPad.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Weedle posted:

You guys ever look at a super close-up picture of an iris? Turns out they're kinda disgusting.

I've seen the video for Nine Inch Nails' "Into the Void." Agreed.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

As a resident Hotsauce Jr., my experience with Google Photos on iOS has been nearly seamless, and for me it seems to do the basics in a much smoother way (ie. photo sharing, search, recognition, etc.) than Apple Photos does. Everyone has different requirements, but I think Google Photos is seriously great.

e: Also gently caress Siri, for real. In my experience, it's complete dogshit at figuring out context from what I ask and Google Assistant is 100x better at that on Android.
I asked Siri for directions to a restaurant called Bigalora so I didn't have to take my eyes off the road, and it tried to send me to Biga Laura in Maryland or something. Google Maps voice search was able to figure out there was a place called Bigalora relatively close and got me directions.
Also it should be able to figure out that if I ask for "American House in <City>" that I want the place it has labelled as "American House Senior Living of <City>" instead of giving me a giant list of American House locations in other cities.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 2, 2017

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yeah, if the convenience factor and sound quality are good enough for you, go hog wild, my dudes.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Dashlane.

(Pocket Casts is also good.)

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Why does Apple not have the ability to update core applications outside of iOS updates yet...? Like, why do we have to wait an entire year to get any updates to things like Maps?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Weedle posted:

It's disabled, not removed. "Re-downloading" it from the App Store is instantaneous.

That might be changed in iOS 11 now. I went to redownload the Watch app and it actually took more than 0 seconds.

Also, major updates being available on release day doesn't actually mean much when we're talking about updating specific apps. It'd be a good thing if Apple were able to release a new revision of the Watch app so they don't have to issue an entire point release if they release a watch with new features, etc.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I have an absolutely ancient iPhone 3G. (Yeah, I know I should upgrade, but I've never really needed lots of bells and whistles, and I can't afford to upgrade anyway.) When I plug it in, it doesn't show up in my computer or iTunes (Windows 7).

Honestly, at this point I don't know that there's anyone here who'll be able to help you with an 8-year-old phone.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Guys, 3D Touch is not that hard to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

wooger posted:

Protube doesn't interfere with another app, it doesn't require the YouTube app to be installed and doesn't change the way it works at all.

YouTube was a website last I checked. The Protube app just re-packages it.

This is the same as any website which also has apps to make it easier to use on mobile.

Reddit, somethingawful all have apps like this.
As far as I know every Reddit app, official or unofficial, also blocks ads.

There have been alternative YouTube apps around for 5+ years? This isn't the first, probably not the last either.

It's "the same" despite the mobile YouTube site preventing people from playing videos in the background.

YouTube Red changes the way the YouTube app works. The "interference" is that ProTube replicates features that would otherwise cost money via a subscription, I didn't think that part was that difficult to understand. Doesn't matter whether you or I think it's bullshit or you can come up with some pedantic interpretation of "doesn't change the way it works" when it's not that complicated to understand. "Other things let you work around the subscription, too" isn't going to matter to Google or Apple, if their goal is to stop things from circumventing paid services/apps.
Google's intention is that ad-free YouTube videos playing in the background on mobile are a part of a subscription service, and a significant part of ProTube's market is people looking to avoid paying that monthly subscription, therefore Google (and possibly Apple) take issue with that.

e: And if Reddit, SA, Twitter, etc. wanted to say "nope this isn't okay" anymore, they could. Just like YouTube did, and part of the reason you don't see many third-party YouTube apps and why the ProTube developer has had to repeatedly work around changes to YT to keep ad-free PIP viewing working.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 3, 2017