Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

I've been awful at following all the iPhone stuff, but what exactly happens to multitasking on the 6 plus now that it has the screen shift functionality?

Edit: Oh apparently it's a soft tap of the home button. Interesting.

Could you elaborate on what you mean here? Or just link to something about it. I'm not sure what a 'soft tap' is, and I'm only guessing that by 'screen shift' you mean the ipad-style landscape mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Ahhh. I hadn't heard any of those details. Thanks!

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

Donald Kimball posted:

Is there anyway to import all of my messages from Hangouts (on my Moto X) to Messages on the 6?

No, but there is a Hangouts app.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

ShoogaSlim posted:

Ask your phone "how do you pronounce your name" and she responds with a pronunciation like that sounds like "silly" but with an R.

What do you have your language/location set to? Maybe this is different for UK Siri or something?

If so, it's funny in that case that they would change how Siri pronounces its name but not what it responds to.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

withak posted:

Everything bends.

If you give it a moment.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Countdown to artisan-bent iPhone 6+s becoming a new fashion statement.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

withak posted:

I need to stop reading comment threads about the CR testing. People who know literally nothing about mechanics hypothesizing about how the testing is or is not similar to sitting down with the phone in a pocket are giving me a headache.

No but look, man. You're not getting this! A three point test is clearly not enough. A four point test more closely resembles the conditions of a colossal butt slowly, deliberately, cruelly crushing our precious phones. Don't forget that in these real world scenarios, it isn't just a point load - butt load is applied over the entire surface of the phone. This is way worse for the structure of the phone for the same reasons why it hurts when you step on a floor tile and doesn't hurt when you step on a nail.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know if there's a setting for the 6+'s landscape homescreen dock to be switched to the left side of the screen? I'm very left-handed and find it hard to get at my most-used stuff in landscape.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Personally, the camera bump doesn't bother me at all - I have an apple leather case that keeps it from resting on the lens.

What does still bother me is placing the on/off button opposite the volume/shutter. I still end up turning the screen off by mistake even after a year.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
This is entirely anecdotal, but the leather on my 6s+ case feels much better than the 6+ case did. Jury is still out on exactly how it will wear, of course.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm guessing he means he was holding the phone upside-down, and the phone automatically rotated the image right side up. It definitely does do that.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

I just replaced that exact model with this, and am really happy with it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZFIUZN4/

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
The iPhone Thread: don't be friends with poors.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

Reminder that noted saddle brown-lover Noirstronaut was permabanned for being a creepy pedophile.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Haha, "kids are pretty good with technology" in a conversation about a kid not turning on find my iPhone. Kids are people, nearly all people are terrible with tech, therefore...

This is too true. We've crossed the boundary where most kids had to actually build computers, troubleshoot bios and OS issues, etc as a barrier to entry. Kids now use computers just like we all use cars.

I work with engineering students who literally have no idea how directory structures work.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

drat Chinese families :argh:

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
I just saw this posted as a joke:
https://twitter.com/mostgood/status/776767255925383169
but honestly, it would be cool as hell if you could plug lightning headphones into the ATV4 remote and have it mute the tv and play through the headphones.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrBond posted:

You can already use Bluetooth headphones.

I know - I just thought it was funny that someone's joke was actually not a bad idea at all.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Oh neat, if you 3D Touch an app folder it will bring up apps that have unread notifications.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Nope, it's the lock button and one of the volume buttons now. Volume-down I think.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

I'm literally on the Hei, Hello, Hallo screen as I update to 11.1 and my phone just arrived, but the screen has kind of a mild pinkness to it. Is this just like nightshift in effect or something? Or some other hue adjustment?

It's the “True Tone” feature detecting the white point in your room. I was concerned too when I was setting mine up. You can turn it off later.

Edit: I see you figured it out already

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 4, 2017

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
So, as far as I can tell nobody at Apple bothered to update its own Clips app and nobody there noticed.

edit: the time and content of this image were totally unintentional.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
I downloaded it and couldn’t even figure out what you were *supposed* to do with it.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

How about OLED burn-in gate?

Apple released info today that oled burn in is considered “normal”.

Interested to see how that manifests...

Couldn't help but notice that it didn't take my existing auto-lock setting "never" and defaulted to "30 seconds"

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it just ignores your setting when migrating.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yeah it took me like 45min to get past the AT&T activation, and probably an hour after that to actually activate the phone.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
This is a really weird meltdown.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Nobody can truly be sure of how many k’s the screen has

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
In case people are wondering, I have only had FaceID fail twice. It’s been working fine through my polarized sunglasses, but failed while in the shade with bright sun in the background.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
That's the biggest miss for me so far. I wish I could just swipe up to force quit apps like before.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dogen posted:

That doesn’t force quit the app, I have found

No you still have to hold on the card until the red 'close' icon shows up - but once that happens you can swipe up.

It's still annoying having to hold on the cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

i'm going to record my election night meltdown in HDR 4k

New thread title.