Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Oh, nice. The SE is $671 equivalent here. Thanks, Finland.

With US price + tax the SE would be $610.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

LODGE NORTH posted:

The only reason it works on a trackpad is that you use only your finger on the trackpad and don't like, hold the entire laptop or some poo poo.

My skin does not go away in the winter so I am okay

Clearly you've never experienced a proper winter.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Xabi posted:

Am I going deaf or might there be another reason why I have to have the volume slightly at red levels these days when I'm listening to music? I think it's a newish "problem" but I cannot prove it.

Noticed it too. Definitely had it a few pips lower before.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So any way to unfuck the new facial recognition in iOS 10? Or turn it off?

Because it keeps recognizing not-people as people, and that's something I cannot fix, apparently.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dubstep Jesus posted:

So this weekend my iphone 6 took a pretty nasty fall and shattered the top portion of the screen to the point where some small-ish pieces fell out and i'm pretty sure i can see the logic board or whatever is behind an iphone's screen.

anyways, the phone is now crashing and rebooting constantly. sometimes it'll go into a boot loop occasionally flashing a red screen, other times it'll actually boot and be functional but it'll crash pretty quickly. it'll also randomly prompt me to "swipe to power off" as if i held the power button down

do these problems mean i've damaged more than the screen?

You've definitely damaged substantially more than just the screen. Neither the boot loop nor the power off would appear with just a damaged screen.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Google is failing me but just to confirm: there is no way to activate iMessage on an iPhone with No Service, is there? I'm passing on my old iPhone 6 to a friend and I figured I could help set her up with her own iTunes account / iMessage for now while we wait for my contract to officially end so I can unlock it.

So far iMessage stalls on activation. It can receive texts/FaceTime but it won't let her text back. Everything I've tried to google all assume either a device with phone service or an already unlocked phone, I think.

EDIT: Guess i tried a few times and while it still says "activating" the phone can now send texts and make facetime calls. Actually never mind it's back to stalling so I have no idea.

I hosed around with this, and figured it out, and the news aren't good.

You can't activate iMessage with no service; and once you use a card to activate iMessage the iMessage functionality is tied to the number that card has.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So how long has the new in-app purchase dialog been there?

It's a better design than the old one. And probably has been there for a good while.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The new Music app is a loving nightmare.

It's like I'm using a Samsung phone with the popups and just the constant whining that I don't have Apple Music.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Wengy posted:

But all major Swiss providers already have 5G, I want to be using this phone for at least 5 years.

That timeframe is perfect for getting a 4G phone in 2019 because 5G always was stillborn.

5G is good only for marketing it as the new thing. It is not and will not be worth anything to anyone in the shape it is now.

Now there will be a real, functional 5G technology... eventually. Or maybe they'll call it 6G. Whether it's compatible with the current 5G hardware or not is anyone's guess, but the smart money is on "probably not".

There's a lot of interesting questions to be answered and improvements to be made in wireless technology. 5G does none of that, it's just "what we do now, but with even less concern for battery life". It's the executive types demanding a new technology to implement now whether they've improved on LTE in any meaningful way or not. And the answer's no, they haven't. This is LTE with more frequencies.

All the 5G hype now just reminds me of calling HSPA 4G because it had much faster theoretical bandwidth than original 3G.

EDIT: Though where I'm just "it's not done cooking you morons!" at the providers who want the new thing to be something they can sell now, the conspiracy theories around it are hilarious. The reality is just it being a faster max cap and simultaneous user count connection with even worse coverage somehow. Even now the problems LTE-A has are mostly to the tune of "yeah the provider cheaped out", so to solve these problems it would have to solve providers cheaping out, and good loving luck with that.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 27, 2019

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
LTE-A's dual-mode coverage/speed is so goddamn nice. The 3G / fake 4G / HSPA latency is also a loving disaster by comparison. To 4G proper and to any other sane connection method.

5G is for the kind of forward thinkers who are looking forward to the future where your fridge is gamified, your thermostat can let the UberEats driver in automatically, your toothbrush turns on the lights when it's time to brush your teeth, your coffee machine automatically turns on five minutes before your alarm clock goes off, your vibrator has a web server, your lights need a firmware update before they can be turned on, your fire alarm will turn on every other fire alarm in the house and force them all on until you disconnect the power, your vacuum cleaner will automatically smear anything it can all over the floor, your car hates firetrucks, your toilet plays classical music, your automated assistant sends voice recordings to your contacts without asking and your smart lock will automatically shut everyone out when it sees an image of Batman.

I was going to slowly veer into nonsense for the gag but all of those are loving real. I can't come up with nonsense worse than the poo poo people already expect you to buy. And every single example there is implemented like poo poo, with security as an afterthought if that and they depend on servers that may or may not be present later - not that it matters, every single piece of poo poo like this will break when you as much as look at it and they're impossible to repair or get to function sanely or in anything even resembling a coordinated fashion.

And they're all 5G has for use cases, apart from "stream videogames onto devices where they're profoundly uncomfortable to control".

By the time you're using the advanced 5G features, you also need to be close enough to a tower you might just as well pull a cable. It'll be more reliable too.

5G isn't even a solution looking for a problem since it doesn't solve anything 4G doesn't unless you really need more than 500mbit/s. Which you loving don't.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

astral posted:

The real problem 5G is going to help with is congestion (as long as, as mentioned, the backhaul is sufficient).

I'll be honest, I'm not saying it can't happen, because it definitely can, but I've yet to see a single credible report of 4G congestion where the problem wasn't that there was a big event and the providers just didn't have enough towers or backbone connectivity.

5G towers having a shorter range sorta kinda helps there because you have more towers but... you could also have more 4G towers and solve it that way, and the providers just loathe having any capacity they don't need.

In a sane world the NOAA report would have immediately resulted in a declaration of halting 24ghz rollout indefinitely and re-examining impacts before continuing 5G rollout in general, but we live in a world where being cautious and figuring out cost-benefit before rushing ahead are both negatives for an executive class that'll never know poverty.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Snuffman posted:

Way back in the day when I worked for Telus, IDEN Blackberries were all the rage with oilworkers in fields cause they were the only phones built like tanks, doubled as a psudo-walky-talkie, and could do email, SMS and BBM.

People got reaaaal angry when they shut down the IDEN networks.

There's definitely a market for a super rugged smart-phone, for sure.

The Cat phones are pretty much that. The top of the line even has a thermal camera.

However they have "kinda lovely" software support and the phone will still warp from impacts.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Krispy Wafer posted:

If you go by one model losing support every year then iOS 14 will be the last major update for the 7. But that isn't set in stone. I think they didn't depreciate any models for iOS 12. There aren't any hard stops for updates like the 4 (single core CPU) or the 5 (32 bit versus 64) so there's nothing preventing the 7 from going to iOS 15 or beyond.

The phones dropped for 13 were the ones with 1GB of memory. The new iPod has A10. That would suggest 6S/SE next year, then 7 with iOS 15 or 16.

EDIT: iOS 14 dropping the 7 seems unlikely since the new iPod is basically a 7 without cellular.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 10, 2019

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Krispy Wafer posted:

iPhone - So you could ditch your HTC Windows 6 smartphone
iPhone 3 - 3g
iPhone 4 - Retina screen
iPhone 4S - Dual core + Siri
iPhone 5 - 4g, bigger screen
iPhone 5S - TouchID, 64 bit CPU
iPhone 6 - Bigger screen, phablet model
iPhone 8 - Wireless charging
iPhone X - New form factor

The must-haves can ditch the original, because the original iPhone was garbage even compared to the competitors at the time. 3G/3GS were actually functional.

4? Eh, retina's kinda poo poo without the processing power. 4S had retina AND dual core, making it a big deal.

5? Kinda worthless, especially with the 4G of the era. 5S meanwhile introduced the 64bit CPU. Then the next ones are 6S/SE aaand... that's about it?

So take out original, 4, 5, 6, 8 and X... and you entirely forgot that 6S was a massive upgrade.

Also y'know iPhones and iOS didn't become even reasonable upgrades feature-wise until iOS 4. Everyone knows Apple neither innovates or thinks differently, they do what's tried and true and polish the packaging. And honestly, I wouldn't buy iPhones if I had to pay extra for every half-baked idea nobody knows how to properly implement.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Dave posted:

iOS 2 introduced the App Store (I think?)
iOS 3 introduced copy / paste, MMS, 3rd party push, video recording

I got to admit, I forgot the original didn't even have the App Store until the 3G was out.

God that thing was a worthless piece of poo poo.

Original and 3G didn't have multitasking even after iOS4 because they only had 128mb of memory. Which was pretty worthless even at the time.

4 looked good but, uh, a huge upgrade it was not. Unlike the 4S, because by comparison the 4S worked butter smooth.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Retina didn't feel like an upgrade to me, at all. I just... didn't care.

Neither does the design. Now I do recognize the 4 looks worlds better than the 3GS. But no matter how good looking the phone, I'll just toss a case on and continue not caring.

Of course, I was already used to a screen vastly better than retina by that point, so even the best phone screen at the time didn't feel better.

And the experience... well it felt a whole lot the same. Unlike the 4S. When you combine retina and the extra performance, suddenly the experience is so much better.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

comper posted:

It reads like someone who never had the phones but just looked back at the tech specs and geekbench scores from that era.

I do remember what it was like and uh, had been using smartphones for a while by the time the first iPhone released.

... and I'd still use a physical qwerty keyboard gently caress you touchscreen keyboards still suck.

I just was - and still am - a text-heavy user. The 3GS screen was fine, so the 4 didn't really have any features that significantly appealed. The 4S meanwhile gave me smooth rendering of desktop web pages even without turning off images, which was great. Never did have the original because lol 2G and worse ability to add my own stuff than J2ME phones.

EDIT: Also compared to Symbian iPhone OS was a joke. The iOS rebrand is handy, because at that point it went from "what is this shoddy garbage?" to "why is iTunes still garbage when iOS works fine?".

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 19, 2019

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Anyone tested off-brand PS4-compatible controllers yet?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Duckman2008 posted:

To be fair, LTE is now everywhere 2G is, so why the gently caress do you need 2G 0.3MB download speeds when 4G is 10-50MB? Add to it, phones that won’t be supported are the iPhone 5S and lower, and Samsung Galaxy S4 and lower. So like, if you have those phones, regardless of use case you are due for an upgrade. Also to be fair, There are some flip phone users who will be forced to upgrade early from their 10 year a phone cycle.

I’m ok with 5G re farmed on the 2G spectrum. It just sucks that hasn’t been the initial strategy:

Let us force people with no need to upgrade, frequently little resources to upgrade and definitely no competence to janitor enough to upgrade so we can resell frequencies for... a totally worthless gimmick?

That sounds like a great plan if you're a telco executive and a poo poo sandwich for everyone else.

Worse, 5G is a very predictable fecal footlong because we already know the problems we'll run across and current - or foreseeable - 5G technology does not solve them in any way, shape or form. The laws of physics say 5G will be worthless garbage.

To solve it being a turd taco you'd have to massively dig in new cables for the backbone so that the towers actually have the bandwidth for all the devices, and then place them close enough and in creative enough locations to overcome the ridiculously low range at the currently licensed wavelengths... and then figure out how it doesn't eat just all the battery. This is all necessary to make it an improvement over the status quo, and boy howdy do the people trying to sell it have no idea what it's good for - Internet of poo poo devices, Elon Musk fanboyism, trusting the almighty algorithm are all far more prevalent than actual technical claims, because, uh, the technology is a burger with a cow patty.

And that's not even getting into the problems of getting devices that don't just fall apart in grandpa hands, with what having the battery life of your average thunderstorm and the need to both update it and not getting it infected somehow with the ridiculous spaghetti code and more than enough attack surface.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Well since y'all love the 4 design so much, now the 4S has a brand new update to make it, yet again, the best iPhone.

The 4 didn't get an update because it actually sucked.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Dave posted:

We sent some guys out to test Verizon’s 5G in Chicago and both a tree and a window completely killed their service when they were on the right side of the street that actually had 5g. Of course they also lost it if they crossed the street.

This is how 5G will work forever. It will be called 6G when it works, 5G hardware will not work and I have a distinct feeling 5G will be unceremoniously murdered for the frequencies for 6G.

Tab8715 posted:

Do you think Apple will somehow manage a notchless screen with a complete edge to edge screen? Or pretty drat close?

I hope Apple will manage a screen with proper borders again sometime soon. I loving hate it when I try to hold the phone by its edges and my fat fingers touch enough of the edge to cause the touch screen to go all haywire.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pivo posted:

Nope everyone here talking about PB is on the super secret iOS 14 PB. Goons get the coolest toys.

You're still on iOS 14? Sheesh. Get on with the times grandpa.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Where I'm all about the slofie these screens are still a bit large.

What's the inevitable dick pic equivalent?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

What is the recommended “battery health” to have a replacement? My X is down to 89% and I have no yearning for a new model (I am hoping to have this phone last me another 2 years or so before an upgrade but that will probably require a battery replacement.

Replace at 80%, consider dead at 70%-75%, depending on local weather.

If it's 89% now it won't last two years.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gay Retard posted:

I guess we're just ignoring the 5G spec now? It allows more more simultaneous users than 4G currently does, yes?

https://www.networkworld.com/article/3203489/what-is-5g-how-is-it-better-than-4g.html

"Despite 5G base stations being much smaller than their 4G counterparts, they pack in many more antennas. These antennas are multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO), meaning that they can handle multiple two-way conversations over the same data signal simultaneously. 5G networks can handle more than 20 times more conversations in this way than 4G networks."

https://www.verizonwireless.com/business/articles/business/5g-network-performance-attributes/

"The number of connected devices will be more than three times the global population by 2022. 5G will be capable of supporting up to 1 M devices in a square kilometer. Verizon 5G Ultra Wideband will eventually handle 10 to 100 times more connected devices per square kilometer than 4G."

Take a goddamn look at coverage networks and tower locations if those are available in your area.

The problem isn't 4G it's service providers cheaping out on having enough towers, and where 5G can handle way more density than 4G it also means way more towers... which would solve the issue before ever touching 5G. It's useless even without considering the massive problems 5G has with range and power... and storm detection? That last one I didn't see coming I have to be honest. Suppose it could be a lesson about testing at scale before committing to deployments.

By the time we need anything at all from 5G - as opposed to just 4G with MIMO, handily compatible with existing LTE-A ("4.5G") - current generation 5G devices are going to be hilariously outdated. Probably to the point where the hardware is incompatible and the marketing term has straight jumped to 6G.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Okay iOS 13 photos app is a hilarious disaster. I guess we know where the iTunes team went.

I sure want this "AI" to be the thing deciding which pictures I want to access and which I don't.

An empty parking lot is a lake, and one specific overweight cat (rip) is now everything in "dogs".

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

enojy posted:

You don't ever have to interact with that pane of Photos. Just select "All Photos" in the "Photos" pane and there's your library in chronological order. You can zoom in and out to your preference with two finger zoom gesture.

Yeah I figured out that with a little googling, it's just amazing how Apple is thinking these are even features, nevermind features worth advertising.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

is wanting more research on 5G due to health concerns :tinfoil: territory or

Yes.

Unless you don't want to die in storms. In which case 5G is definitely a threat.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
What was transferred were all the things you can't just download, like settings and app data not in files. Yes, it actually takes that long. No, it isn't just Apple being bad at this. Apps aren't really possible to transfer from phone to phone because the data required for setting them up on your new phone is never downloaded to your old phone. Adding big files stored by apps would be entirely possible but could take days with a large enough archive.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Laserface posted:

Just do an encrypted iTunes backup and be up and running on your new device in like 30 minutes.

Still doesn't sync up apps due to the way the data cleaving is done.

... still by far the best option though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
iOS 13 is fine on anything with 2gb of memory, which the SE has.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

CoolRanch posted:

How realistic would it be for telcoms to use whatever frequency 3g is occupying and just have 5g use it instead?

Entirely pointless.

4G with MIMO does that job better. 5G only shines when it comes to the frequencies actually dangerous to humans (because forecasting).

5G was released so raw it's at best doubtful any of its core problems will be solved before it's already 6G.

Even the event coverage is "???". It would be fascinating to see what are limits of 4G, and what are just limits of installed tower capacity.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Duckman2008 posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong : 4G on current frequencies (aka 700MHz frequency) is a max of 100ish MB. 5G on frequencies of 700-1900 (2G/3G frequencies are 1700-1900) is supposed to get about 300MB.

I don’t think 300MB is super ground breaking compared to 1GB home internet, but if you can get 200-300MB downloads on the go, that would be enough for me.

That said, yeah, 5G hype vs reality is obviously very depressing.

4G with enough tower support can hit 600 megabits per second.

Thing is, the connections to the towers themselves gets choked with a just few users at that rate as is and 5G also suffers from horrible range.

I just did some testing and my 4G has 7ms more latency than my fiber connection, as well. That's pretty much imperceptible.

I just don't have an use case for 5G vs 4G that isn't choked by 4G's resource problems rather than any technical limitations, and frankly I cannot think of a legitimate use case where you wouldn't just wire the device, especially given the 5G power hogging and absolute garbage range. 4G with MIMO is also vastly better than old-implementation 4G from a multi-user standpoint and I've been unable to find reliable data comparing 4G with MIMO, 5G and 802.11ac when it comes to events and such.

All of that I saw coming the moment marketers started pushing 5G, it just doesn't do anything new in a way that solves the actual problems of 4G. Such as backhaul and tower density. What I didn't see coming was it jamming weather radar.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Duckman2008 posted:

5G is supposed to be way better at handling multiple connections. We’ll just see how it does once they add lower frequencies so it doesn’t stop working as soon as the drat wind starts blowing or something.

No supposed necessary, it is.

The question I'm wondering about is how much of 4G's problems with connections is inherent to the technology and how much is just telecoms cheaping out, because that latter won't be solved by 5G. 4G with MIMO isn't getting close to what 5G could theoretically handle, but whether or not it's high enough is a whole different question entirely. Also whether 5G's theoretical capacity still checks out once you add ugly bags of mostly water between the devices.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Khablam posted:

It's wholly inherent to the technology. In much the same way a crowded residential area will suffer from terrible wifi, 4G connections in the same area will saturate the available frequencies available. Physically speaking 4G connections saturate at 4-5k connections per square kilometre regardless of the number of cell sites that might overlap. 5G as a physical broadcasting standard doesn't hit that limit until you hit 1m+ connections.

This doesn't just help "events" in the "large, well funded and planned / indoor arena" sense, it helps anytime there are a lot of people in a smallish space. Heck, even busy shopping streets/centres can make 4G infeasible. 5G solves this by already being in those places where peak demand may exceed 4g capacity regularly.

... isn't the 4-5k number both without beamforming and MIMO support?

There's still an order of magnitude of difference at play, yes, and highly populated and funded areas may see some benefit. Whether or not this benefit is worth the inevitable casualties from weaker weather forecasting is a difficult question to answer if you're a monster.

Considering the time it'll take to solve that problem, the range issues, the power issues and the backhaul issues, I just can't see 5G as it exists being worthwhile. There will be new wireless technologies, which probably still are within 5G numbers, but current devices being compatible is a poor bet. And knowing marketing it absolutely will have a new name.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Khablam posted:

It's the physical limits of the density of transmissions in the 4G frequency range. MIMO/beamforming just means you can get nearer to 4-5k before you lose too much transmission ability. SU-MIMO offered almost no gains in trials, and MU-MIMO has a 1:10 relationship between gained users to deployed antenna, meaning it will never be cost effective. MIMO is dead on 4G with 5G as an alternative, which benefits more linearly from MIMO.

There's already limits in place to mitigate this, they will get more strict over time, and this is largely a defence of spectrum use in-principle rather than a demonstrated concern over how 5G networks that might cover <1% of the worlds total surface will actually impact this. There's never going to be 5G coverage over the Atlantic making predicting hurricanes harder, like clickbait will imply.

The iPhone was released 12 years ago. 6G is indeed in development and is 12-15 years away, to put the "wait out 5g" thing in perspective.

Apple will put 5G in next year's phones, so you can stop pretending it's a useless technology at that point I guess.

You can reduce the amount of transmissions overlapping with MIMO and beamforming both. This does increase density over areas with multiple towers in range. MU-MIMO doesn't have the theoretical gains of 5G but it does increase capacity where it's relevant, because the future of city design isn't Kowloon Walled City.

And yes, there will be mitigations. What those mitigations do to 5G is anyone's guess. If the mitigations cause significantly degraded performance, the next model of device will have those fixed.

6G is 12-15 years away, if we trust anyone's ability to predict scheduled technological breakthroughs, which we absolutely shouldn't. But technologies don't proceed smoothly from 3G to 4G to 5G to 6G, each step of the way we've had (heavily marketed) dead-end technologies, and no current 5G hardware is good enough I'd see what we have now being the standard the rest will be compatible with.

It's still going to be useless to me because I don't like crowds though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

~Coxy posted:

Your lightning port probably has too much lint and crap in it.

There's a right and a wrong way to use your phone on the shitter.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I use English and Finnish.

Yeah it's a chaotic mess.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
In iOS 13 you can just leave on Optimized Battery Charging (under Battery Health) and it'll just... optimize that problem away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

doingitwrong posted:

Optimized charging only really seems to kick in if you have a consistent overnight routine. Especially if you have an alarm to help it predict when you’ll wake up. It’s a nice thing to have on but I wouldn’t rely on it.

It’s not great to fast charge your phone. It’s not great to have it at 100% all the time either. But the real answer to managing your battery is: don’t worry about it. Batteries wear down and whatever strange procedures you’re doing might make some difference but not a lot. Phones are for using. Use your phone. If the battery gets bad before you upgrade use the battery replacement program.

Most advice on how to manage batteries or power use is magical thinking or based on out of date mental models and has people making their experience worse without giving them much benefit.

Post/username combo.

Turn on optimized charging and just don't think you understand charging anymore, like the claim that it's not great to have it at 100%.

It's not great to have a lithium cell at 100% for extended periods of time, but it is great to have an iPhone battery at 100% whenever you might need it. The battery is smarter about its own state than you can possibly be without disassembling the phone.

Now it's certainly possible to understand how this all works. But you shouldn't think it provides you with any advantage when optimized charging is enabled, because it literally doesn't. The only major thing you can do even to gently caress it up is to charge the battery when it's too cold. Fast charging frequently does accelerate battery aging but not by as much as you might think. Literally everything else I've seen for "BATTERY TRICKS" in the past five years is fully nonsense garbage that assumes you're directly managing a lithium cell. Or, frequently, a NiCD battery.