Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Don Tacorleone posted:

Apple Warrior #1 says it's a non issue

Get Bent ★
I cannot believe that this “bent iPhone 6 Plus” thing is becoming a thing. Watch this jackass’s video — inexplicably promoted by Time magazine. Should not we be amazed that his phone didn’t snap in half under this pressure? That the glass didn’t fracture? Under pressure like this, bending but not breaking seems like an extraordinary feature. If you feel pressure like this on your iPhone 6 in your pocket, you need looser pants. And if you put your phone in your back pocket and sit on it, I’m not sure what to tell you.

I think this line of reasoning only makes sense if other, similar sized phones behave the same or worse.
I mean, when I'm making a purchase I don't try to compare the product's features to some theoretical expectation of what it should be capable of, I just see which product has the best set of features for me. Ability to withstand a lot of pressure may be a feature not many people need, but it's certainly one other phones have and the 6+ doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

withak posted:

This is why someone needs to man up and do some flexural testing.

iPhone 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znK652H6yQM

Galaxy Note 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwM4ypi3at0

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

nvm

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 25, 2014

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Sooo has it just been the Plus that people have been bending or does the regular 6 do it too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IROcoJeVfSI

Don't know of any unintentional bends reported. It seems pretty sturdy even when this guy intentionally tries to bend it.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 25, 2014

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

xzzy posted:

Where's the value motivating a company to support HealthKit? If they already record every bit of data they're interested in into their own app, tying into the health database only subjects them to the shifting whims of Apple.

Unless Apple starts rejecting apps for not using the database I really don't see what value developers will find with the interface.

"Definitely" is a hard requirement to satisfy, but I still use Sleep Cycle and it's a very nice alarm clock. To avoid waking up with the phone on the floor I stuff my phone under the sheets.

Hate to bring up bending again but I do this with my iPhone 5 and often wake up sleeping on it. I could see how a thinner phone might not bend under normal use but could bend if you're laying on top of it. So has anyone tried to use sleep cycle with their iPhone 6?

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Mogomra posted:

Sorry to quote such an old post, but I haven't noticed anyone talking about tempered glass screen protectors.

My wife is replacing her iPhone 4, and that thing is scratched to hell. I know the new 6's have a better camera lens in terms of scratch resistance, and that the screens have some finger print resistant magic.

Is a tempered glass screen protector worth it to help against screen scratches for these things, or should I stay the gently caress away?

iPhones started using Gorilla Glass starting with the 4S, which makes a huge difference. The screen on the 6 will not get scratched unless you're carrying (exposed) knives in your pocket or something. Even then you should be fine really. You can see this guy forcefully cutting at the screen of a iPhone 5 with a big knife to no effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp-mnz7J-8I

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 12, 2014

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

So I just got done carefully selecting ~200 albums off my computer to put onto my new iPhone. I copy one more over and half of the albums disappear from my music app and apparently go into "other" since, at the same time, my "other" section jumps to 22GB. Tried restarting the phone and re-syncing, not sure what else to do.

It's really annoying because the whole process took like 4 hours and now it's all trashed. I suppose I could wipe the phone and try again but who's to say it will work the second time? Why is this not a simple drag-and-drop task Apple, wtf?

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 3, 2015

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Make a playlist and sync that to your phone. That way you can offline-edit too.

I've been using the same evolving playlist to sync iPods and phones without issue for almost a decade now.

Thanks, that seems like a good workaround

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

My iPhone battery rarely even gets to 75% by the end of the day. Is there anything wrong with just leaving it on the charger at night anyway?

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

My iphone won't accept facetime calls (says connecting... indefinitely) when I'm at my computer. I think this is because when my computer (MBP) is on, it will try to intercept the call. How can I stop this?

Edit: I just realized I could sign out of facetime. Duh

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

coldplay chiptunes posted:

What, specifically, don't you like about it?

The album art covers the status bar. The buttons on the bottom row no longer include a button for "all songs" or "all albums". The alphabet scroller on the right doesn't show up automatically anymore, you have to scroll down first. If you shuffle all songs and land on a song from an album you like, there's no longer a quick way to start playing only tracks from that album. In general, the "now playing" screen is a lot less clean and looks cluttered. A shadow/gradient is added over top of the album artwork now?

On the other hand, I like that "recently added" is now at the top. I also like that you can now create ad hoc playlists.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 7, 2015

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

This is the correct iPhone case

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 24, 2016

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

TraderStav posted:

I've had great luck with the magnetic vent mounts. for $5. I put the metal plate in my saddle brown case and it sticks very well.
I like the idea of a magnetic mount but I can't see how a big metal plate being pressed against my phone 24/7 wouldn't leave a mark. Does it?

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Can you not put a video file from your computer into the "Videos" section of the photos app? When I do it by syncing a playlist it shows up in music. When I add it to icloud I can't download it. When I add it to google drive I can't download it. When I create a direct link to the mp4 I can't download it. What the gently caress? How is this not possible?

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

tuyop posted:

Videos for playing go in the Videos.app on your phone and are put there via iTunes. Just make sure the media type is correct and it's in a compatible format by maybe using Handbrake. Videos taken by your phone go into photos.app and I don't think you can add things there except with the camera.

An easier way is to just use VLC or nPlayer and use the wifi sync function.

=[ I have an app (Chromic) on my iPhone that edits videos but only ones in your photos.app

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

I put the Public Beta profile on my iPhone 6 to get the 9.3 beta. I deleted the profile after the upgrade to the official 9.3.1, but also after 9.3.2 beta had been released. I didn't upgrade to 9.3.2 beta and don't want to, but even though I've deleted the beta profile it keeps reminding me to upgrade every day or so. Is there any way to make it stop?

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

In iOS 9, when you are in "Artists" viewing mode and play a song from one album, it automatically starts playing the next album by that artist after the first one ended. In iOS 10, once you've reached the end of an album the music stops. Is there a way to revert to iOS 9 behavior for this?

Also, how do you make an album repeat in iOS 10?

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 9, 2016

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

baram. posted:

swipe up

Thanks! Apparently repeat now only repeats the album starting with the song you played first (not the first song of the album, if different). 🤔

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 9, 2016

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

FYI, Apple support can do a battery test over the phone to see if it's eligible for replacement under applecare

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah that's happened to me too. No idea why

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Do Bluetooth earbuds with lossless (wrt source file on phone) transmission exist?

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Which is likely to cost less money

Selling my iPhone 6 128gb now and buying an iPhone 6s 128gb now
or
Doing the same thing after the iPhone 7 release

I'm on Verizon if that makes any difference

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, I was planning on getting itfrom eBay or some other third party.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 24, 2016

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Use the "Inbox by Gmail" app. It should auto categorize that stuff and not notify you about it.

https://appsto.re/us/gcI81.i

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 31, 2016

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

How to create a "group": Start a new message with all the contacts from your desired group. Now that message will always be there for you to use to message the group unless you delete it. What's the problem creating a group would solve?

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

edit: nm

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 4, 2016

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

There's also a rumor it will be able to record 4k video at 60fps

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Lichy posted:

You definitely need a screen protector if you are planning on doing things like taking your phone into the weights area in the gym or have a tendency to accidentally put it next to your keys your pocket.

I've kept my iPhone 6 in my pocket with my keys 90% of the time I go anywhere for 2 years. It has no screen protector and no scratches.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 9, 2016

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Looks like in both the control center and the context menu they're trying to draw attention to new features. Hopefully that means they'll b changed eventually.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Nm

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Doesn't it make more sense to have maps in portrait mode? Apple and Google maps orient the street you're driving on vertically, so you see less of it when you switch to landscape.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 16, 2016

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Why do YouTube videos I'm air-playing sometimes stop when I go to the home screen but sometimes keep playing?

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

SaturdayKnight posted:

Are you using safari, the YouTube app, or a third party app? Are you on iOS 10? What gen Apple TV are you airplaying to?

The correct answer to the above is using ProTube on iOS 10 to AirPlay to an Apple TV 4th generation.

I'm using the YouTube app on iOS 10 to to airplay to a Apple TV 3rd Gen. I'll try ProTube out

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

If want to do anything in the phone you have to use the touch screen anyway. Why not just press the lock button if you only want to see the screen? (assuming raise to wake didn't work for some reason)

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

Lots of people have gloves that can activate a touchscreen but not the home button.

You can always swipe to the widgets and click on something to bring up the passcode prompt

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

I'd rather have a phone with an included dongle I can use to plug headphones into the bottom of the phone than a phone with a headphone jack on the top and no included way to plug headphones into the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

On the iPhone X, if you hold the power and volume keys together (as if to turn it off), it will require a passcode to get back in. But if you do that while recording a voice memo, the voice memo will end. Is there a way to start a recording which will continue after switching to require-passcode mode?