Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Yeah, I've used it at Harris Teeter and CVS, neither of which is listed as supported. Only failure so far is at the NFC-equipped vending machine in my office which tries to authorize and then gives a card declined message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

No, I'm asking why he *cares* that he can't use Apple Pay to buy apps. The only benefit it gives over just using your Apple account card is the single-use transaction tokens.

Single-use transaction tokens are a pretty nice benefit, though, especially if Apple Pay expands beyond just paying Apple for apps and gets used as a wider e-commerce payments solution.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

kdc67 posted:

The weird bit is the lights at the top of the readers are still green at my CVS so nothing indicating that they're off. Couldn't say if they work, though, as I have a 5S. CVS still runs on 90's era Javascript, though. so what do you expect?

They're software disabled - they register your phone and the transaction will even initiate (my card showed up and it gave the little check mark after touchid) but after it sits at "processing transaction" for a few seconds, it'll fail and tell you you have to use a different payment method.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Don't forget that you need a network connection to pay, since the phone is what does the actual communication/authorization of the transaction in the more common implementation.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Just use LTE, problem solved

LTE can cause it too, just depends on the speakers. My phone (Verizon 6) definitely can cause buzz on LTE, but only through the speakerphone on my Cisco ipphone; my computer speakers don't buzz.

e: While newer phones have GSM radios, if they're camped on LTE the GSM portion of the radio is turned off - they don't maintain a GSM (incl. EDGE, which is just a GSM enhancement) connection unless they can't get an LTE/UMTS signal to work.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

They're probably even dumb enough not to throttle password attempts.

...oh.

Apparently the API might also have leaked personal info if you knew an email.

http://m.imore.com/whose-interest-currentc-really-serving
http://m.imore.com/depth-look-currentc-and-personal-data-they-want-collect

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

There's almost certainly no technical reason the NFC chips in the iPhone/iPad couldn't support NFC peer-to-peer modes - it's pretty much going to be up to Apple whether they open up that functionality or not.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Something is seriously wrong with your phone - the mechanism for NFC operation physically doesn't operate at that kind of range. NFC typically returns information via load modulation (and even in active return modes, the return is done via near field modulation).

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

No, but i do use my finger to unlock my phone, so if i'm distracted while unlocking i could accidentally authorize it. I'll skip over the back and forth stupid debate and let's just say hopefully mine is an anomaly and glad others are working well.

Given that yours more or less breaks the laws of physics (NFC doesn't actually operate via RF, it uses inductive coupling which physically doesn't operate beyond a limited distance) I'm pretty sure yours is an anomaly.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Continual GPS use eats battery very quickly -
If you're driving around with GPS on (and probably the screen too) 3 hours seems reasonable. Get a car charger.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

spongeworthy posted:

Nope, I always change it back to my GMail account from iCloud every time it happens.

Pretty sure it's a contacts/directory thing. My email account magically changes to my work account when I email work colleagues, stays personal account for friends.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

Sleep/wake button directly opposite volume up is mildly annoying. For me it rarely has to do with taking photos but generally just locking the phone itself; sometimes I press both buttons.

Having had a 6 since launch day the one thing that I still mind is not being able to text that easily one handed while lazily laying in bed on my side. Also swipe to go back barely works for me using one hand. It was touted that they envisioned the curved glass side of the phone ever since they introduced the gesture on iOS 7 or whatever but the sides of the screen don't respond that well for me. Whether swiping to go back in the Awful app or even just scrolling alphabetically by artist in the Music app.

All of the problems people talk about make me laugh, because the iPhone 6 is one of the few products that is actually better designed for lefties than for righties. Swipe to go back, no problem. Hitting the top left corner where everyone keeps their settings tap zones? No problem. I've never accidentally hit the lock button because my hand doesn't naturally rest anywhere near it.

Left handed supremacy, basically.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

rear end posted:

There's slight hissing coming out of the speakers all the time which I can only hear with the speakers close to my ear. How normal is this?

It's the ocean.

(Seriously though, an actual hiss or just the aural artifact of one like holding a seashell to your ear? If it's actually hissing, that's not normal at all.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

dexter6 posted:

Any suggestions on how I could set up a specific alert?

I keep my phone on silent, but some nights I need to get woken up if I get a certain type of alert, I also need to be woken up within a minute, and not have the alert delayed 5-15 minutes.

The problem is, the alert comes via two channels but I don't think either one is helpful:
1. SMS. The problem here is that it comes from a different sender every single time, because it's sent to myphonenumber@text.att.net or whatever. The sender always shows as 1 (210) xxx-xxxx, where xxx-xxxx is an incremental number from the previous text message. For instance, 000-0001, 000-0002, etc. Since it's not a consistent number, I can't set it as VIP.
2. Email. The problem here is that it comes to my gmail account, which obviously I can't enable push, and therefore means it could be several minutes delayed (up to 15 minutes).

Any thoughts on what I could do? I'm jailbroken, if that is helpful.

Thanks!

Set gmail to forward that type of email to an account that does push properly.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Drunk Orc posted:

This might be a stretch but I'm not sure where to ask: is there an app for iOS that can look up people's Facebook based on facial recognition? I'm not sure how the API or whatever works on FB's end but I know they can auto detect who is who in a picture and suggest tags. I didn't see anything in the AppStore and the first few pages of Google didn't return anything promising.

Facebook's API doesn't search across their entire database, it only checks in their facial templates for your friends (and possibly friend of friends.). So even if their API was publicly accessible, your use case isn't supported.

You incredibly creepy gently caress.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Link?

E; vvvv I'm actually a big DualPro fan too. Had it on my 5 for two years so I got two for my 6+. Ive got the lime one on right now and I'm selling the unopened black one over at SA mart, actually.

I've been using the TwelveSouth SurfacePad for a few months and been pretty happy with it. Never cased any phone til the 6, but it's a little too slippery without a case. The SurfacePad isn't too thick - only really holds 3 cards but that's all I wanted (ID, smarttrip, and credit card.). Holding up pretty well so far too.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

The problem with cases like this is that you just can't use it one handed. You could fold it back with two hands or do some weird wrist twist to swing it back and catch it, but all in all, it's just not built for it.

It's really not that big of an issue. I have a SurfacePad for my 6 (the less bulky 12south wallet case) which I like a lot and flipping the cover out of the way one handed is pretty trivial, assuming you can't just use your other hand briefly.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

RhoA posted:

Didn't Apple already sue Samsung because of similar copying issues?

Yep. This'll keep some lawyers nice and busy for a while.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Space Racist posted:

Hey, if it curbs their sliding sales, the cost of litigation may wind up being worth it.

Oh I mean it's definitely worthwhile, and as an IP attorney myself I am all for them litigating it because this kind of litigation pays my rent, I was just saying that this seems like a pretty decent candidate to restart the Apple-Samsung fight on.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

LPG Giant posted:

What's the current consensus on the best lightning cable? I bought 5 of those AmazonBasics ones a year ago but 3 of them are showing issues: one doesn't work at all anymore and the other two sporadically fail.

Edit:
What about these? http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Ank...anker+lightning
I'm a big fan of the brand, they make quality stuff. Does anyone have these?

I have some Anker ones. The connector is a bit bigger/thicker than the Apple ones, so it can probably cause problems for some cases, but also holds up a bit better. I need to buy some more and will probably be getting the Anker ones again.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Chinaman7000 posted:

If you really like slimness, then in my experience nothing is good enough. I have not found a high quality thin iPhone wallet. They are either bulky, or poorly made and don't fit well and then fall apart.

I always go back to my Apple leather case.

The twelvesouth SurfacePad is pretty decent. Any wallet case is going to add some bulk, but it's pretty minimal and most of it is attributable to the cards I have in it.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there any particular recommended lightning cable (other than the official Apple one).

The Amazon Basics one in the OP has been getting quite a few 1-star reviews for build quality issues.

I've been happy with the Anker ones I have.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The Born Approx. posted:

So what are my best options if I want to be able to use my phone while I'm on a 10 day trip in Europe? I have a 6 and its non-jail broken on an AT&T contract.

AT&T offers some ridiculously expensive international data plans. Can I buy a month of service from another provider and just pop a new SIM card in, or does my phone need to be jail broken for that?

As long as it isn't subsidy-locked, just buy a cheap prepaid SIM. You may need a new one per country depending on operators.

(I think you may need to call AT&T, tell them you'll be overseas and need to remove the subsidy lock so you can use a local SIM. Verizon owners are luckier and can just use local SIMs due to spectrum auction terms requiring Verizon not to subsidy lock.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

So I have wi-fi in my apartment. I also have an xfinity wi-fi hotspot within connection range of my apartment. Is there any way to tell my phone that when I'm here, I want it to connect to my wi-fi instead of the xfinity one other than having it totally forget the xfinity hot spot every time I come home?

Turn off auto join for the xfinity hotspot.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Has anyone bought via the iPhone upgrade program while they're still locked to a carrier due to a 6 purchased on 2 year subsidy? (Verizon if possible.). Curious if this is an option - it seems like it should be.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

powderific posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a front flap case that can act as a stand? I had a book book on my 4s and I see that the new one can do it, but it also looks like the new one isn't anywhere near as nicely made as the earlier ones. I see people having issues with the soft touch inner plastic case peeling. For now I'm on the apple leather case and it's pretty great.

TwelveSouth Surface Pad is pretty nice. Couple card slots and works as a stand.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Kazy posted:

There's practically nowhere in the US that takes chip cards, even though the deadline was last month.

Ironically, CVS.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

killa-pope posted:

Anybody have a cardholder case recommendation? Ideally something that uses adhesive to just stick to the back. I can't stand the way cases feel around the edge of the 6s, and don't want to deal with the bulk of a book-style wallet case.

You are looking for the twelvesouth SurfacePad. I have one and its held up pretty well over the past year, and haven't had any issues with transferring it twice - adhesive still holds and the old phone doesn't have any adhesive goo stuck on it.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

killa-pope posted:

What is its thickness like and how well does it stay closed? It does look nice, but I'm really hoping for something more like this but secures with adhesive rather than the snap-in style.

Thickness depends a bit on cards kept in it - I keep a chipped credit card, transit card, and ID in mine and it probably increases thickness by ~5 mm with the cards in (12s says 2 mm without cards which seems right). It doesn't stay closed on its own at all - not a downside to me since it's either in my pants pocket or a suit pocket and either way the pocket will prevent it from opening.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

noirstronaut posted:

How do people use cases that exist as folio type shits? I frequently use my phone with one hand and it looks like I can't even do that until after I've used my other hand to fold back the face of the case. Am I just SOL when it comes to getting a phone call while I'm drinking/eating something?

I can open it one handed without any trouble. Grip it at the spine, thumb it open, use one finger to push the cover down and around and the phone drops into my other fingers. I am left handed which I guess might make a difference? But it seems like a rightie would just flip the cover open and use it with the cover dangling?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

xzzy posted:

Using safari, opening youtube links in the youtube app because apparently that's the only loving way to do it now. Just tapping it does nothing. :downs:

It's a feature in search of a problem to solve but it's also a very new capability so I don't think anyone's really had a chance to do something innovative with it.

Like, I'd like to put an icon on my home screen that indicates my wife. Tapping the icon opens a box to send her a text, and hard pressing gives an option to call her or locate her in find my friends. That's the sort of thing that could get me to buy in to it.

Have you tried force touching the contacts in the most frequent contacts list you get when you swipe the screen right from home?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

fourwood posted:

This seems dumb enough to be incorrect.

Pretty sure the actual issue is that VoLTE can't do handover to CDMA voice, so if you lose LTE your call drops, but if you start on 3G you're fine.

(It's also CDMA specific so non-Verizon carriers don't have the same issue, iirc.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

~Coxy posted:

It's obscene that VoLTE is optional/per carrier and not a mandatory part of the spec.

Cell carriers upgrade slowly in part because they're still supporting your grandmas GSM flip phone from 2003. VoLTE requires a bunch of changes to the backend equipment, so it isn't a cheap or easy upgrade for the carriers - it'll come but won't be instant.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I'm not sure which thread to ask in, but any advice about getting a prepaid SIM for an iPhone when traveling to Europe?

My dad is going to France and Spain for about 21 days this summer, and has an ATT iPhone 5S. I'm thinking getting a European SIM for a month will end up being a lot easier and cheaper for him than using the ATT International options.

I understand that he'll probably have to get his phone unlocked by ATT first.

If he's landing in Spain, he just needs to go to any number of prepaid phone kiosks and ask for a prepaid with whatever he wants on it. 10 euros covered me for voice+data for 2 weeks, though I think I made like 3 phone calls. Pretty sure we used Spanish Orange as the carrier but I forget, I just went with whatever the kiosk dude recommended.

I would bet France works the same way. Would highly recommend this route over any kind of US carrier's international plan.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

shadowvine118 posted:

I want to be able to be able to choose a song and possibly use the timer.

"Hey Siri, play X"

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

porktree posted:

Is there any way to prioritize networks? There are several wifi networks at work, and the strongest one is the internal (no internet access) network. I need to connect to that occasionally, but normally just want the 'public' wifi with internet network. Without fail I have to manually reconnect to the public network. I'd just delete the secure network, but I don't want to have to remember the goddawful passcode.

Not that I've ever been able to find.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I bought some cheap well reviewed ones on amazon for like $20 which I use for running and they suit my needs pretty well.

Yeah, the QY8 ones (which there are a zillion different clones of on Amazon) are 20 bucks and work well.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Lblitzer posted:

Haha you can get a 512gb one for just a little bit more now. 256gb ones go for under $50. That is loving crazy.

I paid ~800 bucks for 32 MB of memory in the 1990s.

I'm not sure I could even find 2x16 DRAM sticks anymore. Memory price drops over the past twenty years are crazy.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

LODGE NORTH posted:

Let's stop spreading lies about how beautiful this case is. It's like when someone gets acid thrown on their face and their eyeball becomes part of their chin and people say they look lovely. Look, it's a good gesture, but c'mon.

Back in the good ol' days, people with iPods would buy one of those things that would hijack a weak FM radio station and play music over that. I have no idea what they are called, but I don't see why they wouldn't work now.

They work great if you live in the middle of nowhere with no radio stations.

In cities they're pretty much useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

For no particular reason, my two biggest pet peeves/wishes for iOS right now:

1) The ability to turn wifi automatically back on after X amount of minutes. Often when I go outside to walk my dog I turn wifi off because the phone clings to wifi just enough to stay connected but not enough to actually transfer any data. So I switch to LTE, but then I forget to switch my wifi back on and end up blowing through a ton of data for the rest of the day. A "turn wifi off for 15 minutes" option would fix this. Alternatively, just make it so it doesn't stay connected to a wifi network if it can't do anything with it.

2) Throughout the day, I tend to text a lot of interesting links and poo poo I find to my wife. This entails hitting the little square/arrow "export" button in safari, tapping the messages app, and then typing her name in. It would be nice to be able to set shortcuts on that "export" menu for "Message to [ContactNameHere]" to streamline this process.

Ok since I posted these on the forums I'll expect apple to address them POST HASTE

#2 can be handled via Workflow. Just set up a workflow for "message to wife" and then on the share sheet select run workflow and the message to wife workflow.