Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Right now the only 64gb 6 that's showing as delivers 9/19 for me is the gold one so I don't think it's the most popular option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The NFC chip and touchid is almost certainly more secure than current credit card implementation, banks apparently agree.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

We have this argument over and over again. If you're clumsy and do dumb things with your phone get AppleCare, but it's not "mandatory" because plenty of people aren't clumsy.

Knock wood, but I haven't dropped and broken a phone ever. Paying for AppleCare every year would lose me money.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Just download the GM from any of the million sites that have it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

In the future, unplug cables by pulling on the plug, not the cable.

I do that and my cable isn't at some weird angle or anything and one of my cables looks like that.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Gmail app is the best option.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Don't drop your $700 device.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

iFixit was saying Apple has switched the vibrate style a bunch on recent phones.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It took a little while for it to pop back into existence when I upgraded to iOS 8.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My new phone is asking me for the password to an appleid for my college email address that I stopped using multiple years before the first iPhone came out.

I can't figure out what the password is and don't have access to the email account. It can't be for any apps, and my phone has no music on it but I'm guessing that's what it'd be for (I think I bought some iTunes songs a long time ago with that email).

How can I figure out what wants that password and stop this? I don't care if I lose access to whatever that is.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Rick posted:

Does it happen to be the icloud account listed in the settings > music?

You can try iforgot.apple.com . The recovery tools are pretty good now, although unfortunately that won't help you much if you set it up long enough ago.

No, it's not there. I tried the iforgot thing but it says my birthday is wrong.

I can't figure out what this could be, I'll probably just start with a blank phone.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I deleted the wrong email in the pop up I was getting when I unlocked my phone and typed in my appleid and password. That seems to have fixed it.

No idea why it did that, hope that fixed it for good.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Doesn't it just put the appropriate pass on the lock screen?

I had my boarding passes on the lock screen while flying yesterday. Didn't need to unlock just swipe right and the pass showed.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'd guess that the iTunes streaming service will be heavily influenced by Beats. iTunes feels like it's been falling behind and Apple paid a lot of money for Dre and Iovine's knowledge.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My wifi seems fine, also using an AirPort Extreme.

Any good iPhone 6 wallpaper sites? Is there a central list of good Notification Center widgets?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

All this bending talk reminds me of this old gem. I don't suspect many of you here will be familiar with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et9fD8JS_nw

Great album. The Satellite Years is one of those albums that if I hear five seconds of it I have to listen to the whole thing.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Somebody else install it and report back.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

tuyop posted:

And tethering for Americans. I imagine there's lots of other cool stuff and hideous themes and poo poo.

American plans can tether now unless you're on grandfathered att unlimited plans and they'll boot you for tethering even with a jailbreak.

I'm on T-Mobile unlimited and get like 5gb of tethering data included.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Nothing to lose really. If they cancel the order maybe you get a coupon or something.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

TouchID on the six is way better than my 5S.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I feel like I had to clean off the 5S fingerprint sensor constantly and I never clean the 6's. Hope that continues.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Go to do not disturb in settings and turn on "allow calls from everyone".

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I lose wifi when I'm walking the dog in the morning.

They need to bring back the ios6 toggle to fall back onto cellular data if wifi hangs.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Why wouldn't you exchange it again? Swapped phones come with a 30 day warranty.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Your phone has cancer.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Whirlwind Jones posted:

In actual news, the ApplePay stuff that's leaking looks fun and cool and it makes me sad that it'll be like 3 years before it's even close to ubiquitous.

What leaked? Any links?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Just used Apple pay at the vending machine at work. Worked great, so I can confirm it works at places not listed as "Apple pay".

Molten Llama posted:

You can avoid contract(ual obligation)s entirely on literally every major carrier. T-Mobile has a good marketing department, but they're not doing anything different.

Nothing different except the blazing fast LTE in the Bay Area. I've got unlimited 50mbps data in my pocket for $80 a month.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I got an invite by emailing them yesterday. It seems a lot worse than normal gmail.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'd love to not get credit card rewards anymore.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Kailtor posted:

When there's a CVS, Riteaid and Walgreens within a quarter mile of each other, why would you bother going to the less convenient store? I don't really understand this decision to just shut NFC off. It's going to just drive people to Walgreens because why the gently caress not? All three stores are interchangeable.

I've traditionally gone to CVS but they're pretty much next to each other here so I'll go to Walgreen's until CVS caves.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I definitely trust them with my bank account info and accept all liability for fraud.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like a small phone honestly, but I sold my 5S today and using it to clear all the settings I don't think I would go back from the 6.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I just smoosh the home button to see if I have a text.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You could pay off the old phone and sell it. If it's 18 payments total you'd have $216 left to pay off on a 16gb phone and you could easily sell it for more than that.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I switched to T-Mobile from AT&T and I'm super happy. Helps that I'm in the Bay Area and get good service here I suppose.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I had to sign at Whole Foods when I used Apple Pay.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Amex and BofA sent me soft verification emails saying "your card was added to Apple Pay on <my phone name>".

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The coating does kind of rot away. Amazon replaced kindle cables because the soft touch coating rotted off, and the Lightning cables do the same.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My frayed lightning cable was only plugged into my phone when it was laying on my nightstand and unplugged using the connector. Some of them are lovely, others aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Mine just started doing that, I'm guessing it's an iOS 8 bug.