Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

If you want to use the phone in a "one handed mode" like the Note for extended periods of time then it just sounds like a large phone is not for you. Apple's solution sounds like the best compromise, although with the back navigation button being on the upper left I'm worried it will make using Reachability necessary too often. I'm going to a 6+ from a Nexus 5 (a 5" phone) so I'm already used to not being able to reach all of the phone with one hand all of the time, but I'm also used to having a back button on the bottom that's easily reachable.

People are ultimately going to find the larger screen worth it to get used to using two hands more often (which I think I will) or will just hate it and go back to "normal" sized phones. The exchange rate of the 6+ will be interesting.

Normal sized phones don't exist anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So the only thing that NFC can be used for is APay because reasons. There go my hopes of using it as an emergency Oyster card.

Has it even been confirmed anywhere other than the US or is it another iTunes Radio where you can't use it if you're holding it wrong in the wrong country.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 16, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Why not?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MrBond posted:

I think we can all agree that 32 vs. 16 would be better for every user.

I don't think the impact on users is necessarily that bad though. There's plenty of people that don't use their phones to the fullest extent, and for them 16GB is plenty. Someone using an iPhone as a pure work phone probably isn't ever going to break 4GB for example.

The issue is that they didn't leave it at 16GB to cater for a specific user. If you asked anyone if they wanted 16GB or 32GB for $649 they'd say 32GB every time. It would cost Apple a pittance.

They want you to buy 64GB because they want your extra money Wow! I can quadruple my storage for "only" an extra $100! If 32GB was an option I sure as hell wouldn't be spending $749.

They're a business but its still a scummy tactic.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Whirlwind Jones posted:

A pittance x 30 million phones adds up quick.

It was a cold and calculated business decision. We'll just have to wait and see if it ends up hurting them. I have a feeling that the guys working there are probably smarter than all of us.

Uh, Apple has twice the cash reserves of the entire UK. You don't have to defend a multinational corporation. :rolleyes:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm a bit concerned about the durability of the new iPhones. I've had my Galaxy Note since it came out, and it has had its fair share of drops. Apart for a few scuff marks and chipping though, the screen has never been damaged.

I'm guessing the aluminium body won't be as shock absorbent as the plastic of the Note, right?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Finally got round to trying the phones out, the Plus is ridiculous and I don't know what they were thinking. The normal 6 is quite nice, though I don't really know much about iOS as the last time I used it was 3.0.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Rose Gold is the Saddle Brown of phone colors.

So, the worst?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

£819 for the iPhone 7 Plus what the actual gently caress, that's iPad Pro pricing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LmaoTheKid posted:

It's always been that much? Are you new here?

That doesn't change the fact that it's a ridiculous price?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Y'all getting uppity about the word rape on the Something Awful Forums?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm going to assume that all the big name password managers are on a subscription model these days?

1Pass4 Chrome extension stopped working and they aren't updating it anymore, so it looks like I am forced to upgrade. :sigh:

I’ve been using Lastpass for free without issue, works great.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Pivo posted:

I wish we had good free 2% on everything cards in Canada. We have a 1.75 no fee MasterCard (4% on forex!) ... or 2% in 3 categories

I don't think the UK even has cashback cards like that, at most maybe some bank accounts for direct debits?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

coke posted:

https://twitter.com/BenGeskin/status/1171689733312974848

Looks like there might be better display, accessories and port for the next iphone for anyone who want to hold out the minor hardware updates in 11.

Imagining flat edged iPhones like the 4 charging Apple Pencils.

I guess my 6S+ can keep on trucking another year to see if this is real.

e:

MarcusSA posted:

I actually laughed that someone posted it thinking it was something with even the remotest of truth.

The new phones literally just came out and any speculation for next year is lol at best.

:negative:

ijyt fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 20, 2019

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If I turn on the "Auto Delete Old Conversations" setting on one device, it'll only affect that device right? I want to clear up space on my iPad but don't actually want to lose the conversations on my iPhone.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

drat it, my 6S+ keeps restarting itself whenever it drops below like, 40% battery. I had this battery replaced at the end of 2018 with the replacement scheme, and battery health isn't reporting any peak performance issues. It's at 90% capacity.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is this new? I’ve never seen a notification with this built in before. This was on my lock screen notification pull down tray fwiw and I’m on 13.5.

I tend to only get it with apps that haven't sent me a notification for a while or never sent me one before.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The X/11 Pro size IMO is the perfect size for a phone, will suck if the 12 Pro ends up bigger than current phones.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What was the rumor about iPhone 12 sizes again? Trying to get a sense of phone sizes versus my current one. I've got big hands but the 6S Plus size is kind of too annoying to use day to day without sometimes needing my free hand or using the screen drop feature (how does that work without the home button?).

The 11 Pro looks like the perfect balance between physical size and available screen, and I remember really liking the X when I tried it out. Are the screen sizes being swapped for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro, with the lower cost one getting the smaller screen?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A 5.4” pro would be the perfect phone (for me) so it obviously won’t happen

Honestly I might just get the 11 Pro if the rumour is true, cheaper, still good.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I've had a 6S Plus since almost release and only started noticing scratches last year, surprised to hear the newer phones aren't more resistant.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Let's face it, we're mostly IT professionals here, and we all know the usual causes and the diagnosis flowchart for questions to ask before repair or replacement, except in the case of iPhone batteries there isn't really one, because if the algorithm's hosed only Apple can fix that and they haven't even communicated having identified a problem, and the hardware is "calibrate or replace".

If I wanted to get snippy about it I'd jump straight to assuming they're just following a flowchart without thinking about it... but what if they're *not*? What if they know something I don't, something new?

The battery's about 18mo old and 95% health, and it's an Apple original (but given it's an Apple original installed in 2019, I do wonder how long it's just been on a shelf).

"IT professional" is not the vibe I have ever gotten from an Apple thread. Tech Journalist maybe.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

My 6S Plus is having an issue where the rear camera is constantly shaking (guess the OIS is busted) - is this something repairable by a third party?

e: Ideally for less than the cost of the SE 2 :v:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So I noticed this in 13 but still present in 14, can you no longer longpress the refresh button in Safari to choose to reload without content blockers?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Godzilla07 posted:

This option got moved to the menu where you change font size (the aA button in the address bar)

Oh snap, thanks.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Do we know when (or even if) in October the iPhone launch will be?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lightningproof posted:

Hey, maybe this is a dumb question, but as someone who lives in the UK but is currently locked down in Spain, will there be any difference between an iPhone picked up here vs one I get in the UK? Very much need a new phone at this point and am gonna jump from Android to iOS, but don't want to be hampered by slower updates or unavailable features or whatever. Thanks.

I’ve been using a phone bought in the US in the UK for the past 5 years with no issue, should be fine, especially if its unlocked direct from Apple. I’m pretty sure AppleCare+ is global too.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Also for people bemoaning a potential lack of a phone display above 60Hz, what’s the actual useful scenario for a 90-120Hz phone display? The iPad Pro I kind of get, letting the drawn line keep up with the pen tip better, and it obviously makes sense for PC monitors in terms of gaming.

I just don’t see what it brings to a phone other than shorter battery life and a bigger number for marketing to use.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You can check bands on the Apple site - the 6S Plus from a US apple store for example had all UK bands, but yeah the UK consumer law is a good point. I might have been able to get this phone replaced considering the camera fault is within the 6 year max, but eh.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

lmao that wallet is adorable

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So a $100 price bump on the 12?

"we have great financing options"

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If the 12 Mini came with the telephoto instead of the ultrawide it'd be a no-brainer. Bit miffed the 12 Pro is bigger. Either would be a massive upgrade over my 6S Plus.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

No TouchID on the power button suuuuuuuucks.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Y'know what's great. The MagSafe charger comes with no power brick. It's a USB-C cable. My only one USB-C charger is an Anker one that sits at my desk.

Thanks Apple really good.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

People using a Pro Max, how is it? I kind of wanted a smaller phone after handing the 6S Plus for 4 years but that camera sensor...

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I only got an Anker PowerPort Atom with USB-C the other day for charging my iPad Pro (OG) at my desk, and because my iPad's lightning cable wore itself out. The MagSafe charger, which would be great to go bedside, is USB-C rather than USB-A, and I have no USB-C powerbricks at all.

This move is so counter-intuitive and it should have been an opt-out thing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Airpod pros come with lightning to usb c cable and iPad pros have a usb c connection themselves as do Macbooks. Y’all are being super weird about this

They are selling the MagSafe charger with no powerbrick, but go off.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Guys I understand cost saving (for planet, producer, and consumer) in budget phones, where you can bank on people having some sort of charger.

When you’re doing it with a £999 (jfc lol) phone it just looks like a trillion dollar company trying to nickel and dime you.

When it does it with a £40 charger it heavily featured and touted, and it doesn’t come with a power brick, thats just dumb.

Unless you’re some weird fanboy or buying a phone every year instead of the 3-5 years most normal people follow, its just a way to increase margins with the cover of being green.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SlowBloke posted:

I don't think we have any recent laptops in our work fleet without at least a single usb-c for the last four years. This drought of possible usb-c ports sounds like the usual ai goon "Why do the car maker not make any new cars like i want? Cause you want to buy used in five to ten years and never buy new", which is exactly the mac scenario here as there are no usb-a only macs that are not in a vintage status. If you have your house full of usb-a ports (and somehow you have burned all your old lightning cables in a pyre) you can buy a three pack of usb-a to lighting cable from anker/aukey for a song.

Yeah a corporate environment is totally comparable here. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Spectral Debt posted:

I was excited about the new phone but realized my 5yr old 6s still does everything I need (txt, calls, SA) so the initial hype faded pretty quickly.

Question, is there way to refresh the phone in short of a hard factory reset. I just want to give this phone a nice wash.

I wish mine did, honestly the 6S Plus has been the longest running phone I've had since before the original iPhone launch.