Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey guys, since the chances of me using a Verizon 4S on AT&T are small as hell, what is my cheapest option? Is there some Verizon branded data plan I can throw some money at for a single month of usage? I'm only in this for data. I can live without talking to people for a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

SourKraut posted:

Well crap, now I'm questioning whether I want the + with under 2 hours to go before pre-orders open.

You do not. Crisis averted.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

goku chewbacca posted:

PagePlus. A prepaid MVNO that runs on Verizon's 3G network.

Just sent them a message about data-only plans, but I could totally be missing something obvious on their site.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bishyaler posted:

I've somewhat comfortably fit my Nexus 7 in my pocket. I don't really foresee a issue with the 6+ unless skinny jeans are your thing.

I have no idea what kind of pants people wear where a mother loving tablet fits in their jeans.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, I had to swap between 6 and 6 Plus until the 6 was available, then I got hit with errors almost all the way down. I just hit the buttons again and then it was added to my cart, I paid the money, etc etc.

Proof~

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 12, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I am putting all my faith in Power Support releasing the best case to ever be created. Mostly because they're the only company that seems to realize that you don't need a massive cut out for every loving port on your phone.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I forget from past years- do the preorders typically arrive on launch day?

I've got to go out of town the next week and it's gonna suck if my shiny new phone is out of my reach for a week.

Yes

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not really sure what else you can do. The Galaxy S5's solution is to literally shrink the screen, which is even more ridiculous:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXWFtYyTEWQ

I dunno, this seems way better than making the screen about 1/3 its size.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Josh Lyman posted:

Apple isn't actually shrinking the screen. They're sliding everything down momentarily so you can access stuff at the top of the screen. There's a difference to the approaches here. The Samsung approach seems to be to have you use 1 handed mode for extended periods, in which case you are a moron, why did you buy a phone that was too big? The Apple approach gives you momentary access to the part of the screen you can't reach and returns you to full use of the screen immediately after.

This just seems like a worse option to me, personally. For example, if I'm out and about, I can see myself using my phone with two hands, doing all that cool two handed poo poo people would do, but at home, I'd like one handed view if I'm lying in bed or just using my phone for a few moments.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

tractor fanatic posted:

Crossposting from the Android thread:

So speaking of battery, how good is it now in modern smartphones, Android and Apple? If I were to drive around town, moving in and out of different tower ranges, but only having the screen on for an hour or less, can I expect multi-day standby times out of a Nexus 5 or an iPhone 5s? I've only had my Galaxy Nexus and right now with the same usage pattern it's dead by the end of a 12 hour day.

Both phones would survive that. The Facebook app semi-recently was revealed to be a hog of battery drain on devices, so that might take up some if you use it. Outside of that, battery times usually last a day or so with standard use. Multiple days is a stretch.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Anyone who bought a white iPhone is not to be trusted.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'll never not preorder an iPhone again. Waiting upwards 12 hours to get the iPhone 4 was the worst decision of my life and trying to exchange my 5S was harder than a teenage boy. Preordering, I get to sleep in, wake up, do some work, hear a lil ding dong and be greeted by a kind man wearing short shorts who has a box that's shaped like an iPhone 6.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The 16-64-128 thing makes a lot of sense to me.

Like, if you buy the 16GB, that's the "cheap" model yet still in the size you want. It's akin to the 5C, I guess. Outside of that, it's the option you get when you don't get lots of apps or local music. When you sign up for Spotify (or use iCloud, Dropbox for most things) use email, Twitter, Facebook, some other apps offhand. Outside of that, you have the 64 with 4x as much storage. That's the one you get when you use your phone "normally" paired with the 128 that you get when you're a lunatic.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Man, I hope someone gets their iPhone early and posts a 6 hour YouTube video about it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
A Verizon iPhone 4 won't even work on AT&T's network, so, ya know.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, so

I got a 4S to hold on to for a few days that was on Verizon. my friend upgraded his phone, however when i turned off Airplane Mode, it showed service. I took out the SIM card before even turning the thing on, but will my friend run into any issues as dar as calling, data, etc etc? Should I drive up to his house and try to get this fixed before it become an issue tomorrow?

edit: Also, is there a way to have the iPhone connect to a network that needs your password and just stay connected? For example, some networks have WEP, WPA, etc, but the school's network has a login that you sign into after you connect (custom web page for students and all that). Is there a way to log into that once and just be fine or do iPhones already do this? I know with my MBP, if I leave it alone for too long or close the lid, it'll disconnect (obviously) and ask me to reconnect upon opening.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 15, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

XyrlocShammypants posted:

How is that better than craigslist where they sell for 400 to 500?

Because they usually don't really sell for that much unless you come across some sap who can unlock phones for free and will flip it for profit.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

jackpot posted:

So make the models go 32-64-128, since memory is cheap. I've got a 16gb 4s now, and I've got about 2gb free - enough to tape the police beating someone for 3-4 minutes if I had to, but not much more. Doubling that space would be plenty for me. Which, duh, Apple's not dumb - I think there are a lot of people in my position, and they know it. I think by the time the 7 comes out, though, they're gonna have to dump the 16 and make 32 the base model. Or maybe 64, so they can up the price. Apps are getting bigger, better connections make us download more...I'd say the days of a useable 16gb phone are probably numbered.

It's nothing worth crying over, in my opinion - if you just backup your photos (I'm a terrible pack rat when it comes to photos, they're by far the biggest chunk of storage lost since I bought iTunes Match) it's completely doable to keep a phone well under 16gb. Not that I plan to anymore - gently caress having to delete poo poo off my phone just to have enough space to run an update. But I see where the frustration comes from.

It's harder to market a 32 as a "cheaper" option (not literally, I guess. More marketing-wise) when the next is double that and so on and so forth. It just seems like it's taking the place of the C line and for people who might want to utilize the cloud. I have/had a 16GB 5S and couldn't do much of anything after awhile, but that's mostly where my line of thinking comes from.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I don't know what the big deal about Apple offering the 16GB is. 16GB costs the same as it did last year, if you would've gotten the 32, you now get 64 for the same price. This has to be the worst of all first world problems.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You're all loving idiots for finding a 16GB iPhone useful in any way or something another.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Apple's version of revolutionary just means incorporating tech that other people have tried to incorporate but have been unsuccessful at making it popular, i.e. NFC.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

hotsauce posted:

I realize everyone feels that Apple will gallop in on its horse and fix the nightmare that is NFC overnight but it will still take many years to improve retailer adoption...especially small businesses.

Bringing in the masses will help, but it will still take years before NFC payments will be a commonly accepted thing.

Prepare for janky until 2017+... You will see.

Oh, I definitely get that, but look at the contrast between when Android implemented NFC in most flagship devices and what Apple is managing to do with just the newest iPhone.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
And that, my friends, is the definition of innovation.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone who's a dev know what the differences or what would appear stretched with a 4" iOS app that utilizes elements on an iPhone 6? Does the current iPhone Simulator allow you to see?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The bulge is an entire camera.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Anyone who thinks an iPhone coming with 16GB that you don't have to buy is "the single-most disappointing aspect of the new phone" probably cries when they cut slices of Velveeta.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

fleshweasel posted:

Apple should not be putting out a crippled product. Period. "You don't have to buy it" is the most non-excuse excuse imaginable.

The problem is that it's not a crippled product. You don't have to buy the 16GB version of the phone, get the 64 for $100 more. Complaining about the 16GB being too small when you aren't buying that size is akin to complaining about the fit of women's underwear on your balls.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

rear end Catchcum posted:

So I haven't checked in awhile but what is the best way to read my Gmail on my phone? I remember back in the day I had to add it as an exchange account if I wanted it to work properly. Still the case?

If the official mail app is the best, what's the optimal way to say up a Gmail account?

Or am I better off just using the Gmail app?

You just tap the Gmail icon in mail and log in.

Or you can use the Gmail app.

Or just use the _______ app on the App Store.

I use the default app mostly because no other app seems to loving realize that I don't want my mail to be "innovated" upon and I just want to read and reply.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

prom candy posted:

So if I didn't pre-order and I didn't line up, about how long is it going to be until I can walk into an Apple store and walk out with an iPhone 6 of my choosing?

Edit: I know no one can know for sure, but I mean typically how long?

I got a white 32 last year and wanted to exchange it for a black. I had 30 days to do so through Apple and 45 through AT&T. I never got a black 32.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

the kawaiiest posted:

So is the whole iCloud photo backup thing just plain not working at all right now or what? I can't tell if my photos were uploaded or not because photostream is gone. Am I missing something?

Your photos, apparently.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The 6 is so drat big. Like, it's almost too big, to be honest. It feels massive.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Did anyone manage to get a black on black iPhone 6 + silicon case? I need pics and searching Twitter is turning up nada.

EDIT: + meaning "and" I don't care for you Plus having giants with no morals.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 20, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The thing that gets me about the iPhone 6 Plus is that it's just bigger. Like, for example, with an iPad, developers had more real estate to work with, they could add nicer things etc etc. But with the 6 Plus, it's just what you get on the 6, but bigger. Maybe images are optimized for it at certain lengths, but it doesn't (or probably won't, rather) go beyond that.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Laserface posted:

My 6 came with one. It's in the little cardboard sleeve under the phone.

I think they still package them in some regions, but definitely not the United Freedom Land

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

CommanderApaul posted:

I ordered a pair of 6's on Saturday evening through AT&T, and when I looked at the projected shipping date on the 6+ while debating if it was really worth it, it said mid to late november for an estimated shipping date.

Everyone will have a Samsung phone by then

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Guys, do any places currently sell official cases aside from the Apple Store? I want to run in and grab one tomorrow.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

There's a chance, but I wanted to get some actual confirmation before running across the state. I was told Walmart would carry them, but my local store had none at all (just didn't have them; not sold out)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

No shame is returning your phone for a smaller phone. The guy who founded Droplr did the same and look at him. He went on to found Droplr in the past.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 20, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What's my best shot at trying to score a silicone black case if Apple Stores nearby have none in stock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Anya posted:

Found an odd bug. I can't use swift key. It shuts down my text box and I can't pull anything up. When I disable it, then I can text.

My friend had a similar issue with Fleksy, but he said a reinstall fixed. However, I imagine you've already tried the IT solutions from restarting and reinstallating.