Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Ultimate Mango posted:

Looks like no ordering tonight gentlemen. The 10am Pacific time rumor may have been true.
iOS App.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Ultimate Mango posted:

Can see and select a color and size but no carrier.
Apparently you gotta just keep mashing buttons until it lets you continue. See the pre-order thread.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

DarkJC posted:

I'm assuming it means that Walmart won't be installing the supported readers.
But they have to. All retailers will by October 2015.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

89 posted:

Somebody sell me on getting a 128GB iPhone 6+ over a 64GB one. As long as I dump my videos and photos on my computer, I think I might be alright? But, I also tend to keep about 20-30GB of music as well?

...damnit, 128GB it probably is..
It's $100 extra over the life of the phone and will likely hold up at least 50% of that in resale value so you're basically paying 7 cents a day for the peace of mind of enough space.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

89 posted:

Yeah, you're right.

Also, I know all preorders for the iPhone 6+ have sold out....but AT&T stores are still gonna have some at launch this Friday, right?
They'll likely have VERY few if any. No one knows for sure, but supplies are pretty tight. If you're not first in line then I wouldn't count on it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Please do this. This is really the biggest reason I have an iPhone. Being able to stop by an apple store and get a fresh phone is completely worth the price.
It's $180 to be able to stop at an Apple store and get a new phone or $300 if you don't have AppleCare. I'll take my chances.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

eddiewalker posted:

Can you get an AppleCare swap at 23 months if your battery capacity falls below 80% or something?

That's almost a guaranteed fresh phone in two years if you're not inclined to upgrade by then.
Just "drop" it if you're really concerned about getting a fresh new phone.

This used to be worth it back when a swap was $50. Now that it's $80, ehh not so much.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Because I doubt I could offload my 16GB version for that much, but I'll try!
You're undervaluing how much unlocked iPhones go for.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Dogen posted:

Have we talked about how ios 8 seems to have a weird icon on the lock screen showing where you are? When I was at the bank today, the logo for my bank was in the lower left :tinfoil:
You can swipe up to open the app. That's why it does that.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Combat Pretzel posted:

In regards to the phone, it's not really funny. The old 5S was already starved on memory as it is. The 6+ needs to run a bigger framebuffer and backing textures, that reduces available memory even more.

Nah it'll be fine. Really.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

EC posted:

The gently caress did they do to the Photos app? I can't figure out how to view all my pictures sorted by date. It also doesn't seem to allow you to edit an album once you're done, which is kind of dumb.
You can very easily do both of these things. Are you blind?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

EC posted:

There's just so much wasted space if you happen to want to look at ALL of your photos at once now that they're divided into dates, but yes I suppose that's obvious.

I still can't figure out how to edit a folder so I guess I'm just dumb. :iiam:
You can edit an album as in add and remove photos from it by going into the album and then hitting edit in the corner. You can't edit an album as in change the name of the album, I don't think at least.

Also yeah there's a lot of wasted space in the collection view now. They're really pushing the "location based events" kind of thing. The photo roll / album view is the same as it's always been though.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

jiffynuts posted:

I'm bummed (and annoyed) Apple ditched the "Camera Roll" album from the photo app and turned it into "Recent Photos". Yes, I know you can tap photos on the left and go into the collections/year/etc view, but it's annoying and not as good/fun/quick as infinitely scrolling up the camera roll. Maybe they're forcing people to throw images into albums and sort everything that way. But still, I know so many people who just used the camera roll and that was that. Wonder if Apple brings that back "due to popular demand".
This must have changed with the GM because the regular "camera roll" album was still there in the earlier betas.

A dumb workaround would be to open up any app that has access to your photos like Facebook or Twitter and endlessly scroll through your available photos there.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

fleshweasel posted:

Apple should not be putting out a crippled product. Period. "You don't have to buy it" is the most non-excuse excuse imaginable.
Time will tell if it will be enough of an issue to create a backlash. I have a feeling it won't.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah, this is really annoying. It also added a folder called "oldpics" that says "from my Mac" under it and it can't be deleted at all -- the album can't be deleted and the pictures can't be deleted. The weird thing is, I don't have "sync photos" or whatever selected in iTunes, and I can't find the photos or this "oldpics" folder on my Mac at all. They're definitely my photos from last month, but they're not on my computer and now I can't remove them from my iPhone. :psyduck:
Probably some sort of weird iPhoto/PhotoStream/iCloud carryover.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ijyt posted:

It would cost Apple a pittance.
A pittance x 30 million phones adds up quick.

It was a cold and calculated business decision. We'll just have to wait and see if it ends up hurting them. I have a feeling that the guys working there are probably smarter than all of us.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

God drat it I do not want to explain a new Photos organization system to my grandma again. Christ, Apple. Get it right and be consistent.

I guess I'll tell her to hold off on iOS 8 for a bit until I even understand what the new system is.

Uhh it's not hard to comprehend at all, just a little more inconvenient to navigate.

You click the photos app and it loads a giant list of every single photo on your phone ordered by date. Why would you have to explain that?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Uhh you've obviously never had to explain tech anything to someone aged 50+
I just mean that it's not decidedly different than the way it was before. The list of photos just has a lot more white space in between now.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

fordan posted:

Did the 6 not come with a SIM extractor tool? Picked up my iPhone 6 Verizon phone from the Apple Store, still in shrink wrap, and I can't find the tool in the box anywhere.
I don't think those things even exist anymore. You're just supposed to use a needle/toothpick/whatever.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

How much of the advertised space is taken up by iOS in an iPhone?
<2GB

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It's not nearly as wide as I expected. The aspect ratio of the actual phone is basically exactly the same as the 5. Really tall and skinny.

EDIT: The upper and lower bezels do look a bit goofy when the screen is on though. Seems like they could have been a bit shorter. Feels good to hold though.

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 19, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

hotsauce posted:

Found this on reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcHlA46gB-4

"not a scratch - they are SO durable!"
The image in that post doesn't go with the news story. The guy in the video who dropped the iPhone's iPhone was fine.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

New phone and/or new version of iOS warrants looking around in Settings and discovering new poo poo.

One of my favorite new features is raising your phone to your ear while in a text thread and you will get a noise prompt to start recording a voice message. Put your phone back down and it will auto send to the recipient. When they reply with a voice message just raise your phone again to listen. My friends and I have been doing that since iOS 8 officially dropped.

Be mindful of the little "quick send" buttons for both camera and voice message on the keyboard though. The camera one is a selfie pic and it automatically sends once you take your finger off.

I was gonna send a pic of the blank embossed box to my brother and ended up sending a doofy looking picture of my dumb face.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
VoLTE is checked automatically on AT&T too.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

shodanjr_gr posted:

Are all iPhone 6 boxes supposed to be lacking the phone graphic from the top of the box? Mine just has the indentation.
Yes.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

nwin posted:

My wife just got a 6 and talking to her in my 5s is crap. If she has me on speaker, she can't hear me but I can hear her. If not on speaker, she can hear me and I can't hear her...
Tell her to take the plastic off.

(You may think this is a joke, but that actually happened in an iPhone thread before)

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Where the heck is the setting for adding people for family sharing? I skipped it when setting up the phone until my GF got iOS 8, but now that she's updated I can't find the option anywhere.

EDIT: It's under iCloud.

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 20, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

arbybaconator posted:

I'm hearing a lot of noise about iphone 6+ (I think?) apps not looking very good when unoptimized. I haven't seen any visual evidence yet. Has anyone witness this? Care to post a photo or screenshot or whatever?
They're basically upscaled x2 and then downscaled a third of that so yeah I can see how it'd look a little gross.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I am handing my old 5 down to my wife. I backed up her 4s to iCloud and restored the 5 from it but it says no service. Do we need to get her a new SIM card?
You did take the sim out of the 4S and put it into the 5, right?

EDIT: If they don't use the same size SIM then you can either cut it down (search youtube) or go into your carrier store and get a new one.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

I grabbed two apps that I knew hadn't been updated and was actually pleasantly surprised.
Yeah I was actually pleasantly surprised by how most games scaled. I went back and grabbed Bean's Quest because that was always one of my favorite games and it's as crisp as ever, even though the app itself hasn't been updated for a couple years.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

noirstronaut posted:

The thing that gets me about the iPhone 6 Plus is that it's just bigger. Like, for example, with an iPad, developers had more real estate to work with, they could add nicer things etc etc. But with the 6 Plus, it's just what you get on the 6, but bigger. Maybe images are optimized for it at certain lengths, but it doesn't (or probably won't, rather) go beyond that.
Technically they could develop different layouts for 6+ versions of the app, but most apps don't seem like that would be viable.

Like the Facebook app for example. There's not much more you can do with it, so on the 6+ it's just gonna look like a goofy giant version of the regular app.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

I just installed Paper and it looks great on the 6 Plus. I couldn't actually imagine It on a smaller screen. Maybe the iPhone 5 version showed fewer cards along the bottom?

So yeah, developers are doing things with the bigger screen. It depends on how many people buy the 6 Plus, of course, but I'm optimistic.
Certain apps lend themselves to a larger layout, while others are pretty rigid and stale.

Hopefully the shift to multiple screen sizes causes developers to actually put some thought into being creative with how they display content.

The Twitter and Facebook apps are pretty blah in the grand scheme of things.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

The only thing about the new phones I don't like besides them being a bit too big, is the fact that apparently the iPhone jack is on the bottom? That seems like incredibly awkward placement.
It's so you can put it in your pocket and pull it out and not have to flip it upside down.

Seriously just think about it for a second, it makes much more sense.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I actually like the camera bump because I always go to wipe the lens off with my shirt and I forget what side it's on, now I've got some tactile feedback.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

Is that really a problem that happened to people
What? Logistically it makes perfect sense. It's why the port for headsets on game controllers is on the bottom. Having it at the top was weird, you're just used to that because that's the way it always used to be.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Kavingi posted:

I planned on using my upgrade in December to get a non-iOS phone because I want a change of pace, and I would have turned off iMessages before then so that I wouldn't have any serious issues with contacting my iPhone-using friends. Now, I may not have that option, so I may just upgrade to another iPhone (despite not really wanting to). If I can't save this phone, is there any way to turn off iMessages otherwise? If it makes a difference, Verizon is my carrier.
All you have to do is have them delete your old text thread and then have you send them a new message and have them reply to that.

"Turn off iMessage" isn't a requirement, just a way to avoid possible issues moving forward.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Clearing history has always logged you out. It shouldn't do anything to your iCloud Keychain though.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jeeeeeeeesus, scrolling through albums alphabetically with my thumb on the right side of the Music app and my thumb is like off the edge of the phone :stare:

Yeah, this phone is definitely gonna take some getting used to. I love it, but man, it's a different experience than any iPhone before it.
Makes swiping to go back in apps and Safari specifically a breeze. The edges on the 5 specifically were ridiculously sharp and uncomfortable.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
The 6+ is comically large and anyone "lucky" enough to have gotten one already should just sell it for pure profit and get a 6. You won't regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ShoogaSlim posted:

This is my first iPhone with Touch ID. Is it not possible to allow fingerprint access for the App Store while leaving passcode off for unlocking the phone?

I don't like having to enter a password (or needing to use my fingerprint or whatever) to unlock my phone but I do want the convenience of fingerprint unlock for downloading apps. What's the point of not allowing them to be separate?
TouchID to unlock your phone is literally quicker than having no passcode since you don't even have to touch the screen to swipe.