Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

Something I’ve meant to ask about for the longest time but never have.

Does anyone here have multiple keyboards on their device?

English, Italian and emoji. It pretty does whatever the gently caress it wants, esp with autocomplete. I have started to lug around an old Logitech keyboard as using bluetooths somehow ignores autocomplete wonkery.

Edit: at least on an Italian locale, I wasn’t able to register my eSIM without a physical SIM inside so be wary if you plan to go eSIM only.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
My xr and random capture software are fine here, not perfect but serviceable, NDI hates latency so you need to have good wifi to use it on wireless. FYI the HX variant used on the apps is limited to 1080p/30 so even if you have a iphone 11 you are not getting 4k out of that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

bobfather posted:

Make sure to bring a power cable. I think it ate about 20% of the battery in as many minutes.

NDI is a h264 stream so your phone is recording the camera/audio, encoding it and then sending it over your home wifi. It will take a lot of processing power to pass the feed to your pc, if you plan to use it as a webcam, you are not going to be inceonvenienced much by the power cable once you set it up.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Arcsech posted:

I've also seen some folks theorizing that Sony/MS are going to start enforcing rules about optimization/compression/overall game size to prevent the you-can-only-have-one-game-installed effect of ginormous games. I don't know if that'll happen, but I could see them maybe leaning on the worst offenders a bit, especially if they start getting media heat about it.

Next gen Xbox has a new proprietary format to expand memory so having smaller games goes against their licensed memory card sales. Dunno about ps5 but last two gens had user replaceable storage and it was one of the features fans loved the most, so I’m expecting ps5 storage to be a generic m.2 ssd easily swappable.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Anyone have an Apple Music promo code they don’t want? Think new Beats come with four months for new subs?

Try using https://redeem.itunes.apple.com/site/E8UC5A/wbCfxA/button?at=

This is a four month offer from an Italian tech brick and mortar.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I'm in search of a program or a way to export 4k60fps footage from iphone to win10 pc. If I download it through icloud.com it ends up being 720p30fps and iCloud program redownloads whole year of photos and videos every time I press 'download'.
Any ideas what I could use?

You need to set up your phone to not convert video, you can find that setting in settings -> photos -> transfer to pc/Mac -> keep originals ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207022 )

Then connect your phone via USB.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 1, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks guys.
Photos app hung up on me but I know which way to dig now and will keep in that direction.

A windows built-in...what a time to live in

You can use windows file explorer too, which will handle big files better. Photos might crap out if you have lots of photos/videos.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks for all the tips, will migrate to some other cloud probably, or will end up buying an mbp just for video editing

If you have to sync more than say 250 images/videos it's going to crap out even on a mac. I keep the files on the device to a minimum exactly to avoid this scenario. Try offloading media to a pc more often, I got a NAS system to store my photos and movies so i routinely offload stuff there and i rarely have more than one virtual folder shown on file explorer.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Charles posted:

My friend's phone just says it has new Memoji stickers and something about icloud. It sounds like the description for the last update. :iiam:

It only shows the COVID features if your device has faceid, else it’s just Memoji and bug fixes.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

Ugh man if you get an eSIM don't lose your physical QR code or whatever. Had to replace my XS for the faulty vibration motor today and I'm still trying to get a new eSIM provisioned to my account by my carrier.

My telco has giant DON'T LOSE THE QR CODE CARD messages on all eSIM literature, after all the QR code is the sim after all.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

I was under the impression it would restore with the phone for some reason, but that was obviously not the case :q:.

eSIMs go straight to the secure enclave which is not backed up, i think it was one of the original iphone XR/XS keynote bulletpoints(if it was backed up, anybody that could access your icloud backups could steal your signal/whatsapp/whatever identity).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

settled on a Pioneer 4500 NEX, picking it up soon, we’ll see how it is. Head unit itself is about $700

The Alpine ilx-107 is a solid unit, but looks discontinued. I’d recommended finding that used for anyone in the market.

Alpine has stopped selling 2DIN units with airplay, only 1DIN units like the 702 or F903 for that extra "Tablet sticking out of the dash" feeling like a dollar store tesla ripoff.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah after reading here and doing some cursory googling I’m not quite sure I understand the motives behind car audio headunit manufactures lmao

I would guess that since most european car makers don't do 2DIN mounts when you option your car without a radio, doing 1DIN only would be beneficial to selling more head units. It's still ugly as sin and it doesn't look very sturdy.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 11, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Honj Steak posted:

We’ve had a corona app in Germany for a while now and more than 15 million people have it installed. It already helped track contacts in a few hundred cases, which is pretty good since we only have about 300 cases a day at the moment.

Our covid app (immuni) has less than 4m download in BOTH app stores so it's not currently viable to get actionable data

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 14, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Inner Light posted:

I just realized, why the gently caress didn't the US federal government pay for a national implementation of the tracker app? It seems like it would cost pennies compared to other federal prevention and treatment efforts and have significant life-saving benefits that would outweigh those costs. In addition to significant cost savings from states paying separately for largely identical implementations. Wtf?

Why making a single nation-wide app when you can grift one different app for each state?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I have an iPhone 8. Back when I had an iPhone 3, I used to be able to plug it into my computer, then move photos I had taken off the phone and to my computer. Because of PROGRESS, how to do that simple thing anymore eludes me. Is there some way to get files and photos from the phone to a computer it is physically plugged into without needing to loving send them over the Internet?

Photos are shown only if the computer is authorized(unlock the phone and you will see a popup). Generic files on the other hand you are better off moving them to a file locker service(onedrive/google drive/dropbox/etc.) using the files app.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

burnsep posted:

I just moved from an Android phone to an iPhone SE, basically because it was easier and I no longer have the energy to care about the philosophies of companies that don't give a poo poo either way. HOWEVER- I do need to get my whatsapp backup from Google Drive into my new iPhone. It looks like there's no easy way to do this, but if anyone will know, they'll be on our trusty, beloved, stalwart SA (may it respond to ping forever).

Anyone have experience with this?

Nope, the best you can do is saving the attachments via android file manager and message history in text format (that cannot be reimported) over whatsapp proper. Moving from android to iOS and losing all whatsapp history is what made me push for all my friends to move to other platforms(like telegram) where platform migration is not that disruptive.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Horace posted:

help!

This morning I installed the NHS track and trace Corona app. It seemed to work fine. An hour later I take my phone out of my pocket and it's really hot, and boot looping. I manage to reboot it, and everything's working except Safari. I can go online in apps, I get notifications, but it won't load any webpages. eg, I can use the Twitter app, but can't go to twitter.com. I downloaded Firefox, but that's the same. Any in app content which requires Safari is also not working.

I have tried
- deleting the corona app
- updating to latest iOS
- clearing Safari cookies/history
- resetting network settings
- using different wifi networks and my data connection

Is there anything else I should try before doing a restore, which I'd rather not do?

(iPhone SE 2016, iOS 14.0.1)

edit: not trying to dissuade anyone from using the corona tracing app, but it seems like too much of a coincidence that the phone I've had for years without issue would be hosed an hour after I installed it

I had the same "safari going bugfuck insane" issue on my ios 14.0 ipad, it's not the app. After a reboot and a network reset it stopped having troubles on mine.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
To whomever may concern: Today my iphone xr started showing 2160p/60 and 1440p/60 options on youtube. So if you were wondering about the requirements, even lcd screens without hdr can run 4k videos(sadly my ipad poverty specs cannot, it seems that a10 doesn't have the required dsp)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I don't think we have any recent laptops in our work fleet without at least a single usb-c for the last four years. This drought of possible usb-c ports sounds like the usual ai goon "Why do the car maker not make any new cars like i want? Cause you want to buy used in five to ten years and never buy new", which is exactly the mac scenario here as there are no usb-a only macs that are not in a vintage status. If you have your house full of usb-a ports (and somehow you have burned all your old lightning cables in a pyre) you can buy a three pack of usb-a to lighting cable from anker/aukey for a song.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Huh? There's lots. The first USB-C MacBook came out in 2015, and they were still selling the non-Retina MacBook Air until last year. The non-USB-C 13" and 15" Pros were sold until 2017 and 2018, respectively. Hell, the non-Retina 13" Pro was sold into 2016.

I did forget about the non-retina macbook air but the rest of that list are far from modern(i don't think i've ever seen any usb-a/non retina macbook in a apple store in 2017 let alone 2018), I don't think apple expects their customer base to hang on their laptops for more than the duration of apple care + so if we consider a three year window(if we exclude the old air that break that convention) every apple computer bought within a 3 year interval from the iphone 12 release date should have a usb-c port to charge it without any external item

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 14, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I'm wondering how strong the magnets are going to be, I do remember people having issues with the palm pre dock throwing the phone around and being pretty hard to undock.

PS: if you consider normal doing hundred of gigabytes of photos and need archival, you need tape not plastic discs(mdata discs are as expensive if more than LTO).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
FYI if you had issues with optimized charging on your phone after iOS 14, i've solved it on mine with these steps

-upgrade to 14.2
-turn charge management off
-reboot device
-turn charge management on

turning charge management off and on without a reboot only refreshes the settting pane, no effect on the charge logic.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
On my xr optimized charge wasn't switched on if i disabled it and rebooted so 🤷‍♂️

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
A local electronics store (mediamarkt) is selling Powerbeats pro at 189€ , what is the thread consensus? Are they good quality? I'd love to get some AirPods Pros but i'm fairy confident i would lose/break them in a day during normal usage so the ear brackets should hold them in place. Reviews tends to show weak audio quality so i'm a tad worried about buying tinny bass boosted audio at big bucks

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 11, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Homekit compatible smart thermostat recommendations? Also is there a homekit thread?

If you are in Europe Netatmo is a decent pick as long as you don’t have to rely on their valves, I have both and the valves are the weak link of the whole ecosystem. Thermostat works a treat, the valves are a pain in the rear end. Netatmo made the valve battery compartment too deep so the battery move around due to vibration and you get a lot of false notifications of dead batteries or broken valves, reseat the batteries and it works again, during winter I need to reseat batteries every three days or so.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Well i was expecting them but bought a set of airpods pro on black friday, so you guys can thank me later. The command set is a bit passè imho, the volume "digital crown" is tacky as gently caress and the folding system is a bit bad(rather than fold on themselves, they fold flat meaning they occupy a fuckload of space).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

$

lmao, holy poo poo

For a bit whoever buys one will get insta mugged, esp as AirPods don’t have anti-theft disable like an iPhone. It’s a design too distinctive(I would call it awful but that’s subjective) to not get noticed by thieves.

For whoever says buy any other brand of Bluetooth audio, I have used bt headphones since A2DP was new and both enroll and usage has been various degrees of success(ranging from abysmal to barely decent). With the AirPods Pro I just got, I had more troubles getting to reliably hit the control buttons and to have them upgrade firmware (for enabling spatial audio) than to link devices or change iOS device to listen to. There is a distinct quality of life improvement, as long as you stay in Apple's walled garden, but even then at this price I feel like these AirPods cans will end up as mk.1 HomePod, decent product put at a too high/unrealistic price bracket.

Also given that Sony has just announced to shut down their Japanese audio device fab you should evaluating getting your Sony-branded BT devices now, best case scenario quality will decrease as they outsource production or worse shut down the product line entirely.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

japtor posted:

I know the cars/head units run QNX (owned by Blackberry of all people these days) at some level and CarPlay/Android Auto take over from there or something.

Newer cars are moving to full blown android as the underlying parts are somewhat cheaper thanks to economies of scale

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Duckman2008 posted:

My car doesn’t have Bluetooth, so I plug in via headphone adapter. I am not sure whether it’s new with the iPhone 12 or with iOS 14, but I keep having my volume randomly turned down because my iPhone thinks I’m listening to music full blast with in ear headphones.

Reality wise I just set my iPhone to full blast, and then control it with my car.

Amazing, but not surprising, that Apple just goes “lol you can’t change this setting.”

I have that issue too.

The weirdest thing is it does it only on my Bluetooth car audio and not on my AirPods or my headphones with the lightning to jack adapter, thankfully my car stereo is loud enough to compensate but still stupid I can’t disable it in any way.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Wheeee posted:

One of the pins on my most commonly used charging lightning cable is black, I’ve seen that mentioned before as pretty normal, I assume phone is fine?

Given the amps of your average power brick, some arcing is standard over time, if the cable starts having issues charging or passing data you can try using some contact cleaner or just replace the cable with a reliable brand(aukey/maker/belkin)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

OldSenileGuy posted:

Random, not necessarily iPhone related question:

Is there an app or something I can use to call a UK land line for free from the USA?

I had to cancel a trip to the UK and there’s one vendor that wants me to call them to issue a refund but every time I call them, they have me on hold for at least 30 minutes. And Verizon is trying to charge me $2/minute for international calling.

I see a few websites that claim to have free calling, but they seem sketchy. And since I’m probably gonna have to read my CC# to the vendor, I’d rather not use a sketchy site.

Office 365 personal and family provides 60 minutes of free Skype landline calling, if you have any friends with a 365 family plan you could ask them to have you join and get the bonus time sub.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Minidust posted:

First time iPad-buyer. Wanted to set it up using my wife's phone, but I can't get an iCloud backup to complete successfully. Before I go crazy trying to fix that, just wanna confirm, would the iCloud backup copy over saved passwords (from the phone to the iPad)? That's the main thing she cares about.

iPhone backups cannot be restored to an iPad, they count as stand alone devices iCloud wise. If passwords are all you care about, you need to verify that iCloud keychain is active and working.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Minidust posted:

oh derp, that makes sense. Keychain was enabled on her phone but I hadn't thought to enable it on the new iPad. Looks like I'm all set now, thanks!

So the iPhone's iCloud backup is just a separate annoyance now. It's doing the thing where the projected backup size is way bigger than the sum of the apps that have backup toggled. From looking around online, looks like it might be related to Messages?

I've found my biggest culprit to be emails, whatsapp and then messages. You can check storage usage by going to the icloud settings page and then drilling down on each app.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Inner Light posted:

Speaking of janitoring storage, there's no 'Google' thread so this may do ok.

I want to clear away and janitor my Gmail / Google storage. There are certainly senders that have sent me 1000 marketing emials and I can just delete them all.

Is there a way to sort by sender in terms of number of emails that sender has sent? Probably not but thought I'd ask.

Sorting by size also sucks, I can do greater than 10MB or whatever, but if there are 10000 5MB emails from one spam sender that is problematic too.

If I can’t figure this out I’ll just slowly buy more gmail space (even while aggressively unsubscribing from spam or bacn) and the emails will fester until my inbox is passed onto my heirs

The best way I've found is to hook gmail to outlook(or mail.app) and use that interface to sort(and clean). For easily guessed reasons, gmail isn't designed to help in sorting and filtering advertising emails.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Edward Mass posted:

Is the COVID-19 vaccine card thing for iPhone only for EU nations?

It was already there for adding the EU vax data in health(i think 15.3), 15.4 just added a vax data -> wallet automation (which is better than the coupon covidpass made, since the qr code is slightly bigger). Tried this morning and it has zero documentation on apple web sites, health app or wallet. You need to open up the camera or photo library, do the ocr thing on the qr code and let it be imported into health. The wallet coupon will be created after health has the data successfully imported.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just a hint for european users, health will decode and put the data in the correct categorization depending on the type of eu covid pass, meaning vax will end up in vax category and covid infection cleared will end up in diagnosis. Only vax will generate a wallet item so if you only have a infection cleared qr code you will not get the wallet pass.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
That heated display removal tool is likely to claim a lot of flex cables/circuitry regardless of the repair manual warnings. Also it will be fun to botch the repair, pack the repair kit and have them broken by ups in transit so you need to foot the bill for those press and display removal tool full price.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Skeezy posted:

Here's a look at the self-service repair stuff. It seems a bit excessive tbh.

The excessive stuff is the difference in a long lasting repair that won't gently caress up with water resistance and a ghetto repair that will last barely as the parts warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
My spare phone that went in with an improv battery replacement years ago still looks like someone used ice picks rather than guitar picks so, making those semiauto display removal kit more common(because sure as hell that kit will be copied shortly and sold on aliexpress) is a win already. If you take a look at the guides for the procedures provided by apple, those machines makes it possible to hand the parts to the same clueless idiots depicted on video and make repeteable acceptable results. Something that handing the same crowd a ifixit spudgers kit, a spare screen and a hair dryer sure as hell won't.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 3, 2022