Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I have an absolutely ancient iPhone 3G. (Yeah, I know I should upgrade, but I've never really needed lots of bells and whistles, and I can't afford to upgrade anyway.) When I plug it in, it doesn't show up in my computer or iTunes (Windows 7).

- Unplugging and plugging it back in doesn't work.
- I don't see any corrosion on the contacts or dust preventing the plug from connecting.
- It doesn't change when plugged into the computer, but it charges fine plugged into the wall, but only if I completely drain the battery first. (That's what I've usually done since getting it). Someone said that means the battery is dying or dead, but it does still work.
- Taking a picture and unplugging and re-plugging it in does not work.

I'd really like to get it working so I can add more music to it, but none of the options I've tried have worked.

One video suggested that I use their software (CopyTrans) to fix this, but I'm not just going to blindly download and install strange software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah, I know. I wasn't really holding out much hope.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Is there any way at all to get the iPhone 8 to play every song on a playlist once and once ONLY until the entire list has been completed? Any way at all? Because right now, some songs are getting played about 10 times per one time for certain other songs.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Thanks for the replies.

xzzy posted:

Nope, Apple's shuffle isn't actually a true shuffle, it thinks it's being smart and clever. If you shuffle a playlist it picks a finite number of songs with a bias towards stuff it thinks is "similar" or you like a lot.

How annoying. If I want to listen to a certain limited set of songs over and over again, I'll make the playlist myself. That is a thing you can do. If I want to listen to a specific song, I can select it myself. I don't need some idiot's idea of smart deciding for me what I want to listen to.

Minidust posted:

If you have any other music apps try starting a shuffle with one of those. I've found that if a playlist kicks off outside of the actual Music app, shuffle behaves more like you expect it to.

Does anyone have recommendations for music apps which will actually shuffle a list but play each song once. I don't want or need any music streaming, I just want it to play the MP3's I already have on the phone.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Minidust posted:

Miximum is an app for making smart playlists, I believe the free version limits you to 1 app-generated playlist at a time but you'll have access to all your existing playlists. So you could initiate a shuffle there and then go back to the standard Music app for playback controls and library navigation.

That'll work fine, I'll just make a playlist containing every song on the phone. ... But can you change the single playlist afterwards, to add or remove songs?

quote:

I also like SongOwl for reference/library navigation (it lets you view metadata like year, grouping, date added etc), and Stezza for when I wanna leave my phone screen on and just use it as like a touchscreen jukebox, but I think both of these only have a paid version.

Thanks for that. If I have music on, I'm almost always doing something where my hands are occupied and aren't going to be actively doing anything with the phone anyway.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I have an iPhone 8. Back when I had an iPhone 3, I used to be able to plug it into my computer, then move photos I had taken off the phone and to my computer. Because of PROGRESS, how to do that simple thing anymore eludes me. Is there some way to get files and photos from the phone to a computer it is physically plugged into without needing to loving send them over the Internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
For once when I plugged it in and unlocked it, I actually got the pop-up which let me open files or upload photos. It seems to be extremely finicky about appearing even if the phone is unlocked.