Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
How I learned to Stop Sperging and Turn Off Battery Percentage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Christoff posted:

Oh sweet how do they hold up towards the end? I'm one of those dummies that uses the phone while it's plugged in so it always wears through on stops working eventually

Not well. My fiancé has completely shredded one at the end from doing exactly that.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Fremry posted:

General question, but iphone/iPad related because those are the devices we all own. I have a roof deck with a pair of outdoor speakers whose terminus is on the third floor of my house. I want to be able to send audio from my phone to the speakers and control it on my roof. I bought a small amp and a Bluetooth receiver, which works but inconsistently. It's definitely because the roof/walls between me and the receiver are too much for the Bluetooth signal.

Is there a way to do this via wifi? I want a direct connection between my phone and the speakers (I.e. no PC in between) and I want it to work with whatever audio app I'm using on my phone (iTunes, iRadio, Spotify, Amazon Music, Pandora, etc.). I thought of using an Apple TV with AirPlay, but my amp is R/L component or 3.5mm input (it's a small car amp) and Apple TV is optical audio and HDMI.

Basically I want a wifi version of a Bluetooth receiver, but that doesn't seem to exist.

AppleTV?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Rnr posted:

The whole point is that it supports keeping thumbnails of all your photos on your iPad and only downloads the ones you actually want to look at. So no, your iPad won't fill up in no time.

Your iCloud storage will tho. I got the notification this morning.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

It's still annoying to me that the iPhone can't just pull up the drat car play interface on its own when I mount it on my dashboard.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I don't want to charge my headphones.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I plug mine in once week for 90 minutes. Wired headphones are for plebes.

I plug mine into my phone and they just work. Always.

All of this is bullshit anyway. They're not getting rid of the headphone jack. They even kept it on the 12" MacBook and that device is all about being thin as well. I know it's an apples to oranges comparison but I think they keep it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

You mother fuckers. I went to pick up my MBA from the fruit stand and ended up in saddle brown town. Rude.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The worst part of your plebian leather cases is not being able to see that beautiful gold finish. You are all terrible people for covering it up. Clear Case Crew here.

Ah yes, the Ex Machina look :barf:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Is it me or is 9.3 snappy as hell?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Spotify > *

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

Yes, let me sign up for a $10/month subscription plus data fees to get the same level of service that my curated mp3 library provides. That makes a heap of sense.

My time spent curating an MP3 library, backing it up, and dealing with iTunes is worth more than 10$ a month.

I stream like a madman and I never hit my data limit.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

Excluding the time spent cursing at iTunes, managing my library takes about 2 minutes every few months. Include the iTunes cursing, and it's maybe 15.

I'm sorry you're bad at managing :filez:.

I don't think I've managed anything in ~ 4 years thanks to spotify so no need to be sorry.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

MrChupon posted:

What do you do when you're on an airplane, or in the mountains/rural area with no service?

Both spotify and apple music let you download and cache music for offline use. I'm constantly going underground in the subway here and its fine.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

It's a 2" lightning to 3.5, not a power brick or rMB dongle. Just leave it on your headphones and stop being a sperg?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

What you brought up is a legit concern. I wasn't responding to you.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I've been looking for an excuse to get on the S cycle anyway so I'll just grab a cheaper 6S and wait it out. My 6s battery has been kind of crappy lately.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

When your homies pass you the AUX but you're on an iPhone 7

Your homies should have a BT connection :colbert:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

Hope you can navigate the menus and pair that bad boy before the light turns green and the car locks adjusting settings.

It takes about 2 seconds to pair a BT device so I don't know what you're on about here.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

This would be perfect if it had 2 USB ports.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Lblitzer posted:

For what...?

2 phones.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

astral posted:

I've been eyeing this Anker one. I imagine you could use it with a 3+ port cigarette lighter adapter to get the effect you want.

Yep, that would work. Thanks.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Turn off the battery percentage, problem solved.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Wait, there are people out there who don't have battery % turned on? How the hell do you work out how long your phone will last?

When it goes red, I charge and if I can't it dies. Percentage is bad and dumb.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Will there be a 7+ Saddle Brown case? that's all I care about.

Gonna go non glossy black because glossy looks like its going to be a scratch magnet.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ijyt posted:

£819 for the iPhone 7 Plus what the actual gently caress, that's iPad Pro pricing.

It's always been that much? Are you new here?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

ijyt posted:

That doesn't change the fact that it's a ridiculous price?

Most people pay it off in installments through their carrier or now with Apple's own upgrade plan. It's what its always cost, if you think its ridiculous then

Nonsense posted:

Moto G is $99 USD now.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Where's the option to allow favourite contacts texts through during Do Not Disturb?

Put them in VIP. Edit: or favorites?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

No screen protector, no battery percentage, saddle brown leather case.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

fordan posted:

Also Apple's been selling directly in China since the iPhone 6 so I think the "buy in the US and import to China" is less of a thing for all those families that do it that might or might not be Chinese.

Nope. I saw Chinese people walking out of the 5th Ave store with bags of iPhones right around the time the 6S launched and I went in for a laptop repair. It's still very much A Thing because our taxes are so low.

It's not exclusively a Chinese thing but 99% of the time I see it, it's them. There's nothing wrong with it and IDGAF but people used to get Real Mad about it when launches were a big deal like the 4.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

To be fair, I do the same thing with crab legs at a Chinese buffet and they get Real Mad at me too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

I'm close to switching from Spotify to apple music. I don't care about the politics, I just want all the music

I just did this this week and am not looking back. I hate the Spotify app so much. It's battery draining ugly trash. I used SongShift to bring my playlists over and cancelled Spotify real fast.

No more "..." when I start the app with no service but want to listen to cached music.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

All I know is I looked under the battery entry in settings and it showed Spotify at 40% when I had only listened to cached music and I switched the next day. SongShift was easy to use but cost a few bucks.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I dumped my ATT unlimited a year ago and never looked back. It's not a great deal unless you get one of those crazy govt discounts. Once your 2 years are up you still pay for the phone every month which is stupid.

Once I saw my data usage is under 5gigs a month on average it made sense.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Personally I stay away from Verizon because they're evil incarnate but to Rachel their own. I honestly like ATT and their new plans are pretty great.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

Now if only google would catch up to Apple of 5 years ago and make a phone OS that isn't in constant risk of being owned by malware from the official app store.

Considering 9.3.5 patched a humongous security hole that could own your iPhone through a website, that's not really a thing you can say.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Yeah that huge 0 day exploit that they patched within 4 days?

Pretty sure it's been in iOS for a while. Im firmly in the iOS side of the great phone wars but let's not pretend it's completely secure.

Hell I remember an iOS jailbreak that was done through a website back when I did that awful poo poo.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

LODGE NORTH posted:

That's literally the first iPhone OS.

I got in around the 3GS and there was a web based JB then. So whatever iOS that was.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Patinad, scratched, dinged leather looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Mush Man posted:

How do you enable RAW mode for photos in iOS 10?

Take your phone out of the case.