Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Vintimus Prime posted:

So with the scaling issues, how bad of a performance hit are we talking about?

Seriously dude, how do you expect anyone to know? The phone was just announced and has yet to be released. Also, I wouldn't be worried about a supposed performance hit regardless as I very highly doubt that Apple would release the 6+ if it was appreciably slower than the 6. It is likely a completely negligible difference.

Also, I as well still don't know if I'm getting a 6 or 6+ yet, with under an hour to go before pre-orders open up. I definitely could use a bigger screen than on my 5, but the 4.7" IS already bigger than my iPhone 5 after all. But man, that big 5.5" screen with the 400+ ppi looks killer, even if the phone it's attached to would need to be air-lifted to my apartment via helicopter. Also the extra iPad like landscape features, OIS camera feature and better battery life (if their numbers are true) are really tempting.

It would also be nice as I could likely sell off my iPad and just use the 6+ instead. I think I'll probably just go 6+ as I feel like I'd eventually regret it if I didn't. Or maybe what's actually going to happen is I regret getting the gigantic 6+ because it gives me a hernia from carrying it around. Seriously though, the weight obviously isn't the issue -- it's more it's large size/footprint taking up all that space in my pocket for the next two years I'm worried about. It's hard to know beforehand how annoying that is going to be. I know it's going to be annoying, it's just a question of how much. Will the usefulness outweigh the annoyance?

Decisions...

Damo fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Is a nexus 7 a tablet then? Hahaha, I thought he was talking about a phone at first. Yeah, that is pretty ridiculous friend. You've got some big rear end pants.

I'm a small framed dude, and I don't wear skinny jeans, just, uh, normal jeans I guess. The phone will fit in my pockets from the dimensions I've seen, it's more about having a big rear end solid rectangular thing in my pocket I'm more worried about. It's so drat big I feel like it's going to impair normal movement and poo poo like that almost.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
I hope Magpul makes a new version of their cases for the 6plus soon. Their iPhone 5 case is pretty much the only iPhone case I have ever liked. Simple, thin, tough, good grip, doesn't snag on my pockets. Gets the job done.

It's likely they will take forever to release it though. I need to figure out a good slim case to use for the 6 plus until then. Maybe that silicon one Apple is selling, once they get back in stock that is.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

BGrifter posted:

The solution is easy, don't make the phone ridiculously huge. If they announced Reachability as an Android feature a month ago everyone would have laughed at how stupid it is.

Why bother getting upset that some people want phones with huge screens? Even if you think it's the dumbest thing in the world, who cares? Just get a smaller phone for yourself and be happy. How do other peoples phone preferences affect your life?

I think Android phones are terrible in general, but I don't get mad about it or begrudge people who prefer them. If anything, I'm glad they are happy with them.

There is no worse waste of energy than the tired "big screen phones are stupid", "Apple vs Android", "Android did this a year before Apple yet didn't get credit", or "If Android did this people would reply like 'X' while they'd reply 'Y' if Apple did" crap.

Unrelated Edit: If anyone else got the "your phone has been reserved and we will email you later to complete your transaction" deal from the Apple Store like I did, just wanted to let you know I got the email from them today. I actually had went ahead and successfully ordered the phone anyway last night after I got the reserved notice, but just wanted to pass this info along in case people are wondering if Apple will actually follow through with it. You should get an email from them to complete your order by some point today. I guess I'll just ignore mine since I placed an order successfully.

My reserved phone was also 7-10 day shipping estimate like my successfully completed order, even though the one I got reserved happened about an hour earlier, so it doesn't look like you'll get any quicker shipping priority on the reserved phone regardless of when your half-order went through, unfortunately.

Damo fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 13, 2014

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

tractor fanatic posted:

Crossposting from the Android thread:

So speaking of battery, how good is it now in modern smartphones, Android and Apple? If I were to drive around town, moving in and out of different tower ranges, but only having the screen on for an hour or less, can I expect multi-day standby times out of a Nexus 5 or an iPhone 5s? I've only had my Galaxy Nexus and right now with the same usage pattern it's dead by the end of a 12 hour day.

A new phone with a new battery can easily last a day with moderate usage like you desribe. I've never had an issue with battery life in any of my iPhones -- 3g, 4, and 5. I can't remember ever having to charge my phone before the day ends, even with pretty heavy usage.

I only mentioned "new" battery because all rechargeable batteries lose capacity the more they are used/age. For example, my 5's battery, being around 2 years old at this point, is starting to show it's age. The charge isn't lasting me as long as it used to. Although I can still get through a day without charging with no issues. The difference in the battery's charge is noticeable, but still doesn't pose a problem even after 2 years of usage.

If you are very concerned about battery life, and don't mind a huge phone, the 6+ model is supposed to have appreciably better battery life than the normal 6 -- that is, if Apples numbers are to be trusted.

Damo fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 13, 2014

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Toe Rag posted:

Eventually there won't be smaller phones. If I wanted a big phone, I would have bought one already. I understand that's what Apple's trying to prevent (people switching to Android for bigger phones/screens), but it's just unfortunate that current size phone is most likely going away. People use their phones quite a bit, so I don't see what's so weird about having an opinion on its physical form.

Well, they do still sell the 5C and 5S. Who knows, maybe in year or two they will replace the 5C with another low cost style phone with a similar size.

But yeah, I guess I can kind of understand being disappointed that the flagship models don't come in the 4.0" size anymore. However, 4.7" isn't exactly a huge deal larger. Seems like a good bargain between huge and old school iPhone size to me. I think you'd likely get used to it much more easily than you think if you gave it a shot.

edit: Oops, meant to edit this into my previous post. Sorry for the 2 posts in a row.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
I was forever a dude who laughed at the thought of owning and using a giant phone like the Galaxy Note, so it's pretty funny and a bit confusing how I ended up ordering a 6+ for myself. I told myself I'd never get a big screen phone, that I didn't like big phones, that over 4.5" is ridiculously large for a smartphone, and that there isn't really a practical need for one. I still basically believe most of that, except for the fact that I bought 6+.

Knowing how amazing iPhone displays are, I just couldn't resist getting the 5.5" size. When it comes to electronics, I don't really ever get excited but the iPhone has always been a special case. If it was any other brand phone I'd have likely picked the smaller one in a heartbeat, but it being an iPhone made it different. Back around the Steve Jobs era, it seemed impossible that Apple would ever even come out with a phone bigger than 4" or so, so I'd never had to decide whether or not to get a giant screen phone anyway. When it actually happened, I surprisingly found it impossible to resist.

I have an iPad but never use it, usually just using my iPhone instead since it's close at hand. I'm hoping the 6+ is going to get rid of my need for that iPad and I can just sell it. Most of what I do on my phone is web browsing and apps and photo/video, so that's what got me to decide the larger screen might be a nice luxury to have. Also, that hardware image stabilization sounds awesome since all my pictures are always loving blurry. If I was on the phone the majority of the time I'd have gotten the regular 6 in a moment. However, being a big web user, the thought of how amazing web pages will look on that 5.5" screen I'll have with me 24/7 was just too alluring. The jump from my 4's screen to my current 5 was wonderful, and that was only slightly bigger. So I think I'm really gonna enjoy the 6+.

I've become a giant phone owner somehow, after never thinking it possible. Thanks Apple.

I'm just really hoping I don't come to regret it, though. I am not a large guy and I don't have large hands. I already know it's going to look ridiculous when I use it given my small frame, but I don't care about that all that much. I'm more worried it's just going to be just too large and unwieldy for use in my small hands, and to fit clothes pockets. If so, I'll probably end up returning it to the Apple store for a normal 6.

Damo fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 20, 2014

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

prom candy posted:

How's the camera bump that everyone was freaking out about?

Most stuff I've read in reviews about the camera bulge is that it isn't bad and is being overblown. Also, the phone only really wobbles what set flat if you push down on the top bezel area of the phone, which you never need to do anyway.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Not that I play games (especially games that push the GPU hard) on my iPhone that much, so I don't much care, but I was really surprised at the FPS differences between the 6 and 6+ in the 3DMark tests over at Anandtech. I'm also surprised no one is discussing it.

You can see the exact numbers, but basically when in came to actual FPS in the tests, the 6+ had put out only around half the FPS that of the regular 6. However the other benchmarks that gave number ratings were mostly about the same.

They surmised the lovely FPS has to do with the down scaling the 6+ has to deal with constantly. I figured the 6+ would take a hit in GPU performance due to the scaling, but yeah, pretty surprised how big the hit actually is. I'm sure it only noticeably impacts the performances of the phone in games with complex graphics, so you likely won't see it in normal day-to-day usage. Hopefully.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Ah ok, makes sense what you said about just having to push twice the pixels. I guess having half the FPS makes sense when it has to draw twice the pixels. I'm no expert on this stuff, I was just repeating what I read. Maybe I got it wrong or (less likely) they did.

I'm a little surprised Apple was fine with that and didn't include a better GPU to lessen the effect. Seems a shame to have that huge screen but not enough power to push high quality graphics at an FPS comperable to the 6.

I wonder how it's going to affect games. Will they keep things a little less graphically intense so they perform well on 6 and 6+, or will the 6+ versions just have lower quality compared to the 6 versions to keep the FPS similar across both?

Then again, these are 3DMark tests, who knows if the FPS will be quite that different in real world applications.

Damo fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 23, 2014

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

smackfu posted:

Is there any way to delete all the photos off my old iPhone? I want to use it as an iPod touch and free up space for music/podcasts but I can't figure out how to delete photos en masse.

Maybe I just need to delete the whole phone and start over.

Just connect your phone via USB like normal, the iPhone shows up as a digital camera in My Computer, then just open it up and delete the image files/folders like you would any other files on your computer. Super easy.

Or, if you are on a mac and use iPhoto, it gives you the option to delete photos from your phone after you've imported them to your computer.

Damo fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 23, 2014

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Number of times I've activated reachability when I didn't mean to: 0

I didn't think someone could mess up pressing a button twice yet here we are.

Seriously. I don't have my 6+ yet but I honestly cannot imagine accidentally double touching the home button enough times for it to be a reoccurring problem. I guess there always has to be someone to complain about any given feature or change.

Oops, meant to edit my last post. Sorry for the double post.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Has anyone who got a 6 plus ended up returning it for a normal 6? My plus is going to arrive this week and I'm getting kind of nervous about whether or not I picked the right phone. I really want the better battery life, bigger screen, and the OIS on the plus badly, however I never really realized until I paid attention to it today just how much I use my phone one handed. Before I didn't really think it would be hard to adapt to, nor did I think I cared all that much about one handed use even if I had to forgo it for constant 2 handed use but I'm not so sure now.

I guess there is no way of knowing until I try it out for awhile. Just wondering though what other people's experiences have been so for, for those who were on the fence but went with the plus.

Apple lets you return/exchange within a two week period, right?

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
I'm guessing for online orders the 14 day period starts when you receive your phone in the mail, then? Seems the only way that would make sense for mail orders.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Yeah, the bend stuff is all over the place now. It's even on local newspaper sites and poo poo. Probably going to be front page of the New York Times tomorrow in 72pt font. I think President Obama is going to address it in a special session with Congress.

My fiancee heard about it. I know if she's heard about it, it's everywhere. Because she couldn't give a poo poo about tech stuff/news, and neither her friends. She's a pretty good barometer in cases like this, actually, now that I think about it.

Damo fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Sep 24, 2014

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
So I guess "bricking" a phone or gadget now just means "x feature isn't working at the moment"? :jerkbag:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

loudog999 posted:

It's going to get even better. The plus is the master race

This is so true. I've been apprehensive (and posted about my apprehensions here a few times lately) about my 6+ I ordered, hemming and hawing during the entire wait for it to get here. Is the phone gonna be too big to pocket it, or pocket it comfortably all day? Is the screen size just way bigger than I really practically need? Will I be able to adapt to not being able to use it one-handed like I have used phones for nearly the last 20 years? Do I need a phone that loving big, especially after thinking big phones were ridiculous and unnecessary since the Note first came out?

The answer, with a caveat that I've only had it a couple days, is that all my apprehensions were unfounded. This phone loving rules, and yes, I need a big loving phone. I absolutely love the Plus so far and couldn't imaging having the regular 6 instead.

It's large, but it is not nearly as unwieldy as I feared. The weight balance of the phone is much better than I expected, and although it's a two handed phone for sure (especially with my smallish hands), I can do more stuff with one hand than I expected as a result of the balance. The phone feels fantastic in the hand for its size, and I can only imagine the normal 6 feels even better. Even though I have yet to hold one, I can tell from the Plus that the normal 6 is probably the most comfortable, thin, light, and awesome looking/feeling phone ever. So yeah the Plus suffers in those department somewhat because it's basically a blown up 6, but it's not a drastic difference. The phone still looks and feels fantastic.

Surprisingly it doesn't really feel that much bigger/heavier in my pocket either compared to my 5. I only notice a big difference when I bend my waist. That's when the height of the phone really stands out, and it is more uncomfortable and restricting to my movement than the 5, but it's not a dealbreaker. On the subject of weight, the extra ~50g of weight on the Plus isn't noticeable much in the pocket, or in the hands after holding it for extended periods. Then again I'm used to using my heavy as gently caress 4th gen iPad for similar 2 handed uses (seriously that thing is a goddamn brick).

So in a perfect world, I think a 5", 5.2, or 5.3" sized phone would be my sweet spot. This 5.5" however is very managable and I am getting used to this awesome device very quickly. I doubt I'll go <5" iPhone ever again, even only after a couple days use. For me, the size of this phone quite manageable and ended up as a painless price of admission to the larger screen, camera OIS, and insane battery life. I can only imagine how much more awesome the plus will be when more applications become optimized for the larger screen. There is a lot of potential here, and I'm hoping Apple and 3rd party developers really capitalize on the Plus' extra display space in useful and unique ways.

One random thought, the fingerprint stuff is so amazing coming from a iPhone 5. I'd never even tried it on someone else's phone, so this is the first time I've experienced Touch ID. I can't believe how responsive and accurate it is. Unlocking my phone with my fingerprint is incredible and I will never go back to slide to unlock again. Also, validating purchases from Apple store with Touch ID? Amazingly cool.

I know a ton of people disagree about the Plus, and the necessity of large phones in general, and their opinions are totally valid. Not everyone needs/wants an 6+, and that is cool. I thought I was one of them -- until I got it. This is just my opinion, posted for the benefit of people who might be in the same situation and mindset as I was/am, in the hopes that it helps make their own decision regarding phone size.

Anyway, yeah. The iPhone 6 Plus Club. :getin:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
So, is there any point in my updating my 6+ to 8.0.2 if I'm on 8.0 right now and not experiencing any issues?

Are iOS8 apps going to require 8.0.2? I wouldn't think so, but I saw a screenshot in another thread with an app requiring 8.0.2 and now I'm confused.

So yeah, should I bother updating or just wait a while for the inevitable 8.1?

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
What are all you iPhone 6 Plus owners getting for battery life so far? Just curious.

My last full charge netted me 10 hours 51 minutes usage / 2 Days 6 hours standby according to the battery usage in settings. Mostly I was using Safari (update already Google Chrome, drat you) and listening to podcasts through the phone speaker set to near max volume (Uhh Yeah Dude for life).

Unrelated and stupid question I guess, but I can't figure it out. My notifications screen doesn't show the weather for some reason, how do I add it? I clicked edit on the bottom of the notification screen and it didn't have an option to add weather.

edit: Nevermind about the weather problem, seems like you have to run the Weather app at least once for it to figure out your location, then it appeared in my notifications automatically.

Damo fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 30, 2014

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Screen protectors are really dumb and I don't get why anyone would want to put a 10c piece of lovely plastic over their gorgeous screen they just paid a lot of money for. Why would you want to filter your amazing display through a poo poo piece of plastic, and why would you want to touch that instead of the smooth oleophobic glass?

Seriously, the screens aren't damaged or scratched as easily as people think, and even when they are the scratch is rarely ever visible during normal use. Also, the argument that people want to keep the screen pristine for resale value is really stupid. So you are going to suffer a plastic film over your phone screen for the next two years so the person you sell it to has a new quality screen to enjoy? Why not, you know, enjoy it yourself?

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Holy crap the ipad chargers charge the 6 plus super loving fast. If anyone has a 6 plus but no 12w ipad charger to go with it, you really need to get one. Charging to from around 0% to 100% takes only about a little over an hour. I've very glad Apple added support for this.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Even though I already have 3 lightning cables I put in a $0.00 order for one, because, why not?

Probably a 99.99% chance they will cancel the order, but whatever, might as well give it a go.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Bird Law posted:

Really glad I sprang for the Apple leather case, dark blue, for my 6+. It's so much easier to hold and feels great without adding much bulk which is a pretty big deal with this monster.

Yeah, same. The leather case is fantastic. Simple but (seemingly, as I haven't dropped my phone) solid enough protection for a slim case. The leather feels nice on the hand, and is grippy enough for use. Still kind of too slippery for my tastes, but it's leather that's how it is. Good enough to use without dropping at least.

The brown color looks great on my space gray 6 Plus. All the colors look good really. I almost went with the blue -- those look really good with the space gray phones.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

On the topic of case talk, I have really come to like the Magpul field case. Not even for any protection it may provide, but they're really thin and made of this awesome material that adds a ton of grip. I was never a case guy until I tried one. Things are awesome. They're only like $10 on Amazon too so I have a whole bunch of colors.

If you can get past the idea of buying a phone case from a gun accessory manufacturer (if that somehow bugs anyone) they're unbelievably awesome.

Yeah, I was saying the same earlier in the thread. The Magpul iPhone 5 case is my favorite case ever, and I hope they come out with a 6 Plus version soon.Knowing Magpul though, that's not likely.

Although I am pretty happy with my brown leather Apple case, I'll still be getting a Magpul. I suppose it will offer a bit more protection and grip though, so there is that.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

obi_ant posted:

I finally got my hands on an iPhone 6! I have the Zagg Glass screen protector on and I'm looking for a slim case. I don't necessarily care if it's a bumper or a full body one, but I want one because the phone almost slipped outta my hand twice already. I don't want it super "grippy rubber" either, cause they tend to stick in your pants (if that makes any sense), something smooth like the Incase or official Apple leather would be cool. I also want so the phone can lay flat and not have any chances of scratching the back camera lens.

Um, why not just get the Apple leather or silicone case, then? Both are slim, remove the camera "bump", and make the phone grippy enough without getting stuck in pockets. They fit all your qualifications.

Man, based on the last few pages of this thread, the amount of people who use screen protectors is way higher than I would have guessed. It's amazing how many people are willing to cover their phone's screen leaving it never to be touched, viewed through a lovely 50c piece of plastic or glass, and protected for two years so they can sell it for an extra 25 bucks down the line and the next person can experience it better than they ever did. I'll never understand the thought process behind that, ever.

movax posted:

I ended up suiting up and going into the cleanroom to get a dust-free install, and I still have two micron-sized dust flakes in the middle of the screen, but gently caress it, that's as good as it's gonna get.

Or, don't do anything really dumb that will scratch your already naturally difficult-to-scratch screen, and just take off the protector so you don't have to stare at the same two dust particles for the next few years?

Also congrats you found the two worst named iPhone accessory companies ever. LUVVITT and iCarez. Seriously, iphone accessories have some of the dumbest company and product names in any industry. Good lord.

Damo fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 15, 2014

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
As far as I know it's been doing that with YouTube videos for a long time now. It's nothing new. The lock screen media player controls always control the last audio you were listening to from whatever source.

Don't know of any way to disable it. I rather like it since it allows me to listen to the audio from videos with the screen off, which can be useful for videos that are only really audio content anyway like music or podcasts/talk shows.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
I love my 6+, but man, it's so utterly apparent that the design of iOS is not meant for large screens. I think Apple will eventually redesign the OS with large screens in mind, but it's probably going to take at least a year with iOS9, which sucks. I wish they had done more than the reachability thing to prepare the OS for a 5.5" screen. I hope by next year that the main functions in Apps are moved to the bottom of the screen from the top.

I don't expect to use this phone 100% of the time with one hand, it's just too big for that. However, if they concentrated more buttons and functions in the bottom right/left of the screen (depending on your dominant hand) you could do a hell of a lot more with one hand than you can now.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

fleshweasel posted:

So basically you bought a giant phone and because of that you wish all the buttons were on one side of the screen. ok

If you honestly think iOS its current form is well designed for a large screened phone I really don't know what to tell you. I'm not saying every single thing need to be on the bottom, just that the amount of poo poo you could do one handed would rise exponentially if they rethought the OS a little bit for the giant phone instead of continuing to use design language initially made for 3.5 inch phones.

Btw Frank Zappa rules. Always love seeing your avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Wow, don't know what is going on with all you dudes, but Touch ID works like, fantastically well for me and always has. I have it set up for my thumb and index finger on both hands and it only fails me when I don't put enough of the pad of my finger on it, which is my own fault.

Seriously TouchID is like magic.