Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

If I purchase an unlocked iPhone 6 outright (which means a T-Mobile model at the Apple Store), how do I activate it on AT&T? Can I pop in my 5s' SIM and just go from there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have an unlocked AT&T 5s, and am thinking of getting a 6 for myself, and passing my 5s on to my Mom as she's still on a 4s. The problem is that she's on Verizon. Will this be a problem, or does the old gsa/cdma problem not apply with the 5 line?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ahhh, ok. Thanks for the info!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dear Apple, please stock more 128gb Space Grey 6's on AT&T at your stores. Thank you.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mogomra posted:

Ok, I don't wanna get phone AIDS. :ohdear:

Since you aren't using an android phone you are already protected against that.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I want to hear Reason's excuse for needing this. :munch:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Thanks to whomever posted that istocknow.com web address. I checked right after the announcement and 128gb 6s were in stock at my nearby fruit stand. It's pulling my could backup now. :toot:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sextro posted:

How long is the verification taking for anyone using Wells Fargo?

Took around 30-60 seconds for each of my 3 WF cards.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

LODGE NORTH posted:

Backing up SMS is useless and for chinos anyway.

What the hell?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

The all black iPhone 7+ is a return to the iPhone 4 black.

It's perfect.

Got mine on tuesday and although I'm still getting used to how loving big it is I have to admit it's p :coal:

Went online and reserved one, picked it up an hour later. :toot:

Edit: I want to take my iPhone 6 that I erased and use it as an iPod Touch for listening to my iTunes music at work. Do I have to reactivate using a SIM? Can I just use the SIM from my 7+ and then take it out after the 6 is activated, returning said SIM to the 7+ without any complications?

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 9, 2016

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bueno. Thanks

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

illcendiary posted:

Jeez, lesson learned. If you buy a phone that's on 13.0 and your iCloud backup is on 13.1 before you trade in, start fresh, update the phone to 13.1, wipe it, THEN restore your backup from iCloud. I've been fighting with this loving phone for 4 hours now.

Jesus loving christ I was setting up my 11 pro and it was going to restore from my Xs and the new unit demanded I upgrade to 13.1. This finally allowed me to get to the "Transferring from iPhone" screen afterwards so I let that go overnight and it froze both phones I found out. I had to erase the 11 pro and now twice (without restoring from other phone) has downloaded and installed 13.1 only to freeze on the apple screen and if I restart it to get it out of the freeze, the 13.1 upgrade didn't take and it's still on 13 and I cannot transfer any of my settings from icloud. Having been using these things since the iphone 3s, this is the worst upgrade I've ever encountered.

Edit: what really sucks is that it seems it transferred my phone number from my old phone already, so my new phone is tied to the number but I can't use it because it's updating, and my old phone now has no cell service. I leave on a trip tomorrow and this is incredibly frustrating.

Sock The Great posted:

Does the set up prompt you to update to 13.1 before restoring from a backup, or do I need to go back and do this after I get it to 13.1?

It prompted me to update to 13.1 in the middle of restoring from backup and it was not something you could avoid.

Edit 2: ok the 11 pro was finally able to update to 13.1. I'm erasing the settings and trying again to get this goddamned phone working

Edit 3: It's finally transferring 😭

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 27, 2019

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

illcendiary posted:

Yeah, if you try and backup from iCloud at the outset, it’ll go through the initial steps (sign into Apple ID, Wallet, etc.), then ask to update to 13.1, then presumably restore from the iCloud backup after the fact. For me, it froze at the second step. Had to restore my phone with iTunes which I hadn’t done in years. So trust me, set up the phone without restoring first, update it, wipe it, then restore from the backup.

Yeah this would have saved me a few hours of frustration for sure.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The wide lens really is nuts but I forgot that the phone defaults the output to that format that isn’t supported by many places :argh:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

No idea, I got rid of it because I got tired of their subscription fees. I should check it on Affinity

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

decypher posted:

Me, an actual barney: 50,000 photos, 5,000 videos in photo library.

I can't find the switch to change photo file formats. It used to be in Camera, but not anymore. Is it because I'm using a 6S+? Sneaky. It used to be in there.

Dang I have 51,642 photos and 2,009 videos.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Breaking the thread's run of iPhone 12 talk- I'm having a problem with my 11 Pro's camera and I'm hoping that someone might be able to help. I've noticed for a while now that I'm getting a blue shift in white areas of photos and it's driving me crazy. You can see in the photo below how blue my cat Lulu's fur is. The photo was taken indoors with natural light (no artificial lighting present) during the afternoon with the iPhone's native camera app. There are no filters applied and I can get rid of the blue shift by applying the "Dramatic" filter but that ruins the photo in my opinion. What on earth is going on here and how can I get rid of this annoying shift?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

enojy posted:

Where the hell is the dramatic filter photo come on

If you go into photos and hit Edit you'll get the 3 overlapping circle icon, there you can choose different filters. Here's the same photo with the Dramatic filter.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vegetable posted:

Buy the mini you cowards, tell them we want smaller phones. I'm sick of these giant rear end devices

I'm not upgrading this year but yeah next year most likely I'll be getting the 13 mini. The 11 Pro is nice but too drat big.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Is there a way to see only the videos on my iPhone's photo app? I remember there being a dedicated album for it before (or for specific media types) like there is on the Photos app on MacOS but now it's gone? I'd like to be able to upload some older videos onto YouTube with my phone.

edit: iPhone 11 Pro running 14.3

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 22, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Charles posted:

On mine, I click the albums tag, and scroll down to Media Types, and push videos.

Ahhhh there it is. Thank you!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Xabi posted:

I’ve got one year of Apple TV+ because I’ve bought a new iPhone . Do I lose access to it immediately if I cancel now? It seems a bit unclear and I don’t want to forget to cancel it in a year.

Tell Siri to remind you a couple days before the final day to cancel it. I use those reminders constantly and they've always worked for me.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've honestly simply used the apple leather cases because of the combination of good feeling in the hand and good protection (including a lip so the front glass doesn't touch the surface it lays down upon) without being hugely bulky. They have saved my iphones from drops even onto concrete ever since I had a 5.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just tested this with my iPad Pro (2918) and I’m not crazy.

On the iPad (and XS) when I say “Hey Siri, what time is it?” there’s a set of beeps when I stop talking and then a set of (higher pitched) beeps before Siri responds. On the iPhone 12 there’s no beeps at all and Siri just responds with the time.

Another thing that’s different is if I say “Hey Siri…” and then nothing else, on the 12 Siri responds with a “uh huh?” sound, but on the iPad Siri does the beeping sounds.

Kinda weird but ok. Siri not doing the beeps has grown on me and now I wish my iPad did the same. I guess the A12X isn’t powerful enough compared to the A14 :allears:

Are your different devices on different versions of the iOS (i.e. is one on iOS 13 and another on iOS 14)?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Same exact version (other than iOS vs iPadOS).

Weird! I don't really use siri on my ipad so I guess I never noticed before

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My iPhone 11 Pro gives me no feedback sound and my iPad Pro gives me the old Siri double beep before answering. My HomePod also gives me no feedback sound

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I mean I have an upright induction charger for my 11 Pro because I had too many times where I laid my phone down on a horizontal charger when I went to bed and woke up to a dead phone because it was off by a quarter inch and didn't charge. With a magnetic placement it won't get that as much I would assume.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I use it all the time for the Health app. I really like how seamless it is.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Just got my new 12 pro max. Any must do/must have stuff for it?

I'm very fond of ProCamera.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

What app are y'all using to measure your battery?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ah dang, thanks. 89% on my 11 pro that I've had since September 2019.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

pzy posted:

What's the best use for Back Tap? A feature I definitely didn't just remember existed

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211781

To open the Awful app.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I was just about to come and complain about the native podcast app as well any recommendations on a replacement?

Edit do not say Spotify

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 10, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rick posted:

Overcast probably is the one that mostly works like I think a podcast app should work and it has a pretty mature feature set that they rarely mess with, and playlist support which many podcast apps decided to get rid of in recent years. I wish smart playlists were smarter and that it downloaded shows without me babysitting it but it’s still overall good.

I like Castro too, for “shows I listen to at work while working but don’t mind getting behind on” as its concept is just one unified list (kind of like the Apple “Listen Now” but it works).

Downcast playlists suck but it has a lot of good features as a player if you don’t care about playlists.

Last time I looked at Pocketcasts it was just Apple Podcasts with a cleaner UI but it has been a while.

Thanks, I'll give Overcast a look first!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Did you have applecare on it?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

neosloth posted:

Is anyone else getting a weird bug where you get an SMS notification minutes after you've already seen it and read it? I also think there are times where it doesn't send me a notification at all, but I haven't been able to confirm that

Here's my lovely SMS bug: I get notification on my lockscreen of an incoming message and since I'm busy I just glance at it and partially read the message. Later when I open Messages, the message is not there.

MUCH later (sometimes hours) the message loads.

There is also a vast discrepency between messages on my iphone and my macbook pro (ever since Big Sur and iOS 14) where the messages won't load on my MBP for sometimes hours. It's loving maddening since I rely on going back and forth between the two.

edit: this is not simply a problem with non-iMessage SMS, but all SMS that come in.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Pro camera on mini please :negative:

I still would honestly love a pro camera and modern guts in an iPhone 4 body.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Laserface posted:

Theres plenty of stuff I couldnt find on Apple music that exists on spotify.

and, while spotify is missing things that I did have on apple music, it is significantly less common.

The curated playlists are garbage, for my taste at least. they updated once in a blue moon and didnt really showcase anything I either didnt already know or enjoyed.

I use Apple Music and buy stuff on Bandcamp and Booth mostly. Spotify is ok I guess. There are many choices, in the end we all can find stuff we end up liking.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I've used 1Password for almost a decade now and it keeps getting better with updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

I have had a 1Password subscription for a few years now and I’m really not sure what it gets me over just using the keychain at this point.

It also checks reused passwords and lets you know if a site has been compromised.