Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

My wife complained enough at the Apple Store that they replaced her iPhone 6 for free due it freezing up on her a lot. The diagnostic showed "more than usual" crashes and recommended that she start this replacement phone completely fresh rather than restoring it from the backup we took.

She's decided that this is also the perfect time to start using a new Apple ID, and that she wants her contacts, SMS, and photos from her last backup. What's going to be the most painless way to get this stuff back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

She can't get into the original email address she set up the account with, so she can't switch the region of her Apple store (originally set to S.Korea) or do any sort of account management.

She doesn't have many purchases, and many of those purchases she hasn't used in a while, so she's more eager to set up a new account set to the correct region linked to an email account she can access.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

smoobles posted:

If you buy in the Apple Store do they still offer that 24mo AT&T contract reduced price? Or is it possible to do the Apple Upgrade program and get AT&T to drop their monthly rate (seems doubtful)?

I am grandfathered into unlimited data with AT&T, if anyone else is in that boat I'd love to hear what you did. I'm bad at math and stupid.

edit: I just read that AT&T gives a $25 discount on the monthly bill for non-subsidized phones so maybe I should just go with Upgrade Program, sell my current phone, and let my contract run out til the carrier fees drop?

I went to an Apple Store to play with the 6S last night. They only offer the full price unsubsidized or AT&T Next if you're using your AT&T account eligibility. Only way to get the subsidized price is to upgrade at an AT&T store.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You know I ditched my unlimited data a few years ago. I don't think I've ever gotten near my cap.

I guess what are people doing that requires more than 10 gigs of data a month?

I'm on the road two weeks out of the month for work, so my usual data usage is around 20gb a month; hotel / airport lounge wifi usually doesn't cut it for streaming tv/movie/music.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I've found a really odd issue going on with my phone. I backed up my 6S w/ an encrypted backup, which I restored my new 7. However, my camera roll is now completely out of order. New photos append to the end, but trying to find an older photo to use in apps like Instagram is pretty much out of the question. Is there any way to resort the photos in my camera roll?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

A long long time ago (I seriously can't remember when I first did this) I set my phone to show the numerical signal strength in dBm rather than have the bars / dots. After every upgrade, the phone kept that preference and things were fine.

I upgraded my phone to iOS 11, and aside from a bunch of other, small issues I'm having with the phone, I'm back to bars. Anybody out there know how to enable the numerical signal strength again?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Bacon Terrorist posted:

My iPhone 7 default headphones are checking out big style 12 months after purchase, they started having ‘gaps’ in feedback that were split second but now they’re also changing the volume randomly, the volume switch doesn’t work on the lead anymore and neither does the mic. All in the space of a week. What are the best third party replacements I can get that won’t break the bank?

I'll send you an unopened pair that I have from my iPhone 7 purchase for :15bux: shipped. PM me if interested.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I have relatives in town from S. Korea and they want to pick up an iPhone XS while here. They haven't listed carrier support on their LTE page, but it looks like the bands supported by the GSM model A1920 are identical to the ones supported by the iPhone 8 model A1905, which shows support for the three major Korean carriers. Just as long as we pick up an unlocked phone from the Apple store, everything should be gravy, right?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

e2: Anyone know what the turnaround time for ordering a phone via the app and choosing pickup? Is it more or less immediate (buy and drive to the store to pick up) or does it take some time (buy and wait for an email within ~n hours before driving to the store)?

I bought a 12 mini two weeks ago via the app. I picked the exact model I wanted and it gave me a list of stores I could go and pick up the phone. It wouldn't let me set an appointment for the same day, but some stores would have either the next day or the day after available. It would then ask you to confirm a reservation time. So it's not immediate, but you might be a day+ without a phone if the local stores don't have stock for you to buy from tomorrow.

edit: also note that they closed some stores recently, including every store in California.

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 24, 2020

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

My watch won’t update. Just stays stuck on the checking for updates screen.

I had to unpair and go through the setup again for my watch to update; apparently it's the accepted way to update watches earlier than series 4.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211283#unpair

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Does the "How to hear spacial audio and lossless audio" video have head tracking, or am I going crazy? I swear I started the demo video, put down my phone, and freaked out for a second because it really felt like the source of the audio moved to where I put my phone and my airpods weren't playing anything. It's nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Hed posted:

Is there a way? I remember trying to send calendar events at minimum and in the past month I think I actually forwarded someone something from Calendar or my organizer and it actually worked! I was amazed but I doubt I could repeat it.

I don't know if you're kidding, but go to the calendar app -> tap Calendars at the bottom -> tap the (i) button to edit a calendar. There's a "Shared with" field that lets you share that calendar with somebody else. My wife and I have a couple of shared calendars so that we can both throw events on them, whether it be for work or for the kids.