Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

terre packet posted:

I'm moving to Seoul this summer. Will my iPhone 6 work with the carriers there after I get AT&T to unlock it?

I think it should. I used my unlocked KT iPhone 4 in the US on an AT&T partner when I was in the States once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

eriddy posted:

The main benefit of Applecare+ is being able to get your phone replaced or fixed as you wait. Insurance through your carrier or credit card company or third parties often require you to go phoneless for a few days if not a week which is a dealbreaker for me.

Pretty much seems that way. The exact opposite holds true here in Korea, which is why I didn't go with any Applecare. Official Apple stuff has to be sent off to Seoul, and will take around five days. It also costs as much as a replacement under the insurance. If I have insurance, just go to a phone service center, pay the price, and get the new phone right there.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Michael Scott posted:

You don't need a battery case because of the large increase in battery life you're going to see on the 6+. If you really need an emergency charger just pick up something like this: http://smile.amazon.com/Astro-Lipstick-Sized-Portable-PowerIQTM-Technology/dp/B005X1Y7I2/ ($12)

Seconding this kind of thing. I had an international flight so I bought a box type thing from China, 10000mh. I can charge my phone like 3 or 4 times with it. Not that big, but hefty. Fits perfectly in my bag.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Does the off center camera actually do anything? Or just looks weird physically? I never really use the front camera anyway.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Krakkles posted:

Am I just missing something, or can I no longer turn off music not on my device with iTunes Match?

The switch is gone. It was working fine until yesterday (and I thought the switch was there, in settings, but could be wrong), then overnight, all my music appeared. Sigh.

iPhone 5S, iOS 8.4

It's actually IN the music app now. You have to click on artists or whatever sorting option under the album photos and there will be a toggle in the bottom. Took me a few days to find it.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Is there a way to turn off low battery notifications? Or is that a jailbreak thing?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I need some ideas on how to figure out my WiFi problem, so I guess this is the place to start.

Recently I have been having random connection issues on my phone. As far as I can tell nothing at all has changed on my phone itself, so I'm not sure exactly what the issue is. Sometimes when I'm browsing SA on my home WiFi, or playing a game, it will just randomly stop connecting, or sit loading forever. The other day I tried to download KOTOR from the app store and it took two hours to get around 20% done. The connection speed is over 100mbps, so it wasn't that it was a big file. My iPad seems fine, but it has had app store issues as well, in addition to occasional slowdowns while watching YouTube or Twitch. I'm not sure if it's the network, or iOS stuff, but I'm leaning towards the network.

My router is roughly four years old now, and on the latest firmware. Where should I start to try to fix this? Is it just time to get a new router?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Crappy known issue with iOS 8 and awdl. Google wifried and read the medium article.

Awesome. I am jailbroken so I downloaded that fix. Hopefully it will work! Thank you!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just turned on iCloud Photo Library. Is there a way to import older pictures I've taken on previous iPhones? Like I have a gigantic folder in my Dropbox of photos from another iPhone I had and none of these pictures are in my iCloud Photo Library and I'd like them to be.

You can drag the pictures into the Photo Library thing on icloud.com. On the phone, you can also save them from your Dropbox to the actual camera roll and I THINK that will work as well. I think this is how I got all of my old photos onto the current phone.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Kaizoku posted:

Other than soundcloud and nyan cat, what are those soundboards?

I am interested in your background! What is it, and where did you get it?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Kaizoku posted:

It is one of the ios9 default live wallpapers. The pink one.

Ahhh okay. Still on 8 so that's why I've never seen it!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
So I have an iPhone and an iPad. The iPad works fine, but I cannot make FaceTime calls on the iPhone. Even on wifi. It just hangs up saying "FaceTime unavailable" after about 20 seconds of ringing every time I make a call. Has anyone experienced something similar? It's annoying as FaceTime is basically the only way I can call my family back in the States, and I don't exactly carry my iPad everywhere.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Snuffman posted:

When I had this once, turning FaceTime off and on in settings did the trick.

Tried this again. I'm just sitting with the spinning logo while waiting for activation next to the phone number for an hour or so now. Any other suggestions?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
To anyone who has used both Spotify and Apple Music recently, which do you prefer?

I love love love Spotify's discover weekly, but that's about the only feature I know of that is Spotify excluse. The big problem I have with Spotify is managing my own music, as it basically doesn't work for poo poo. A lot of my music is from local bands here in Korea, so they're not on Spotify or Apple Music, and I just throw them on my phone through iTunes right now.

It would be nice to have those songs in the Apple Music cloud thing, but is it worth switching from Spotify? I already used my trial when the service first came out, but it had problems. Especially with censored stuff. Has the service improved since then?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Weedle posted:

If I had a bunch of MP3s I wanted to keep in the cloud, I'd switch from Spotify to Apple Music in a second.

I've still got a student discount from grad school, so I decided to sign up for Apple Music for a month and compare them. My guess is that I'll end up keeping Apple Music just because I can keep everything in one spot. Plus with them adding their own Discover-style playlists in iOS 10, there's nothing Spotify really has on them.

Google Music would be another option for keeping my normal files, but that's not actually available in Korea.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Pivo posted:

Speaking of alarms, that's strange... I have snooze turned off for my work alarm, and normally it plays indefinitely unless I TouchID it off and then the alarm screen goes away. On Monday I slept in and was late for work, my alarm wasn't going off, but when I woke my phone... the alarm screen was up, just nothing was playing. My ringer volume was at max, and the alarm worked fine the next day.

Interesting. I didn't have any updates.

I never realized you could turn snooze off. Wow.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I did not care at all about 3D touch and barely used it. But then I discovered that by pressing on the left edge of the screen it opens the app switcher. And that is awesome.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Have they thrown in the discover-weekly type stuff into the new Apple Music yet on the beta?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Anyone have any idea what is going on with my music? Basically every time I click an album to play it adds it multiple times to my "Up Next." I dont want this.

Any idea whats causing this? Or anyone have the same problem? I am using Apple Music if that helps.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Of course its not on repeat you guys! Come on, I mean, it started around the time I started using Apple Music. And I'm an iOS veteran, no way I would be that stu......

Well. It is hard to notice it in bright light, maybe? Or I am just an idiot.

Thank you for the help goons. I will remember to check obvious settings before asking questions next time.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

~Coxy posted:

Download Google Photos and then type in a word that describes what's in the photo, e.g. "dog".

Kinda kidding. But not really.

Isn't the photos app itself supposed to have this function in 10?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
This thought just occurred to me, but I don't see it in settings. When using the phone and a call comes in and pretty much takes over the entire phone? Is there a way to disable this so its more of a notification? Or somehow doesn't force me to stop what I am doing instantly?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I was about to come post about battery stuff with the 6S! But mine doesn't match those serial numbers. I am in Korea though so maybe the phones are different here?

Is there a way to check if my phone has a battery problem without going to a service center? There are no apple stores here so getting a replacement involves a one week turnaround when they send the phone to Seoul.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I want

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

it also nags you to enable 2FA now which is fantastic news for security

Except when they don't actually offer it in the country you live in!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i use the option that generates codes on any of my other devices for the login i am making, not sure if there is another way of using it using phone numbers you may be having trouble with

I'll try that out and test it while I'm around the house I guess. I'm not exactly sure how it works so I'm worried about how it would go if I only had my phone on me.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
On my phone and iPad I use iCloud storage magic and optimize photos. I've just uploaded about 1,000 photos on my computer. I would like to have those actually downloaded on my iPad. Is there a way to download those photos with the optimize photos thing still on? A lot of them are very similar, so I would like to be able to leaf through them quickly without having load times. Turning off the optimize photos isn't an option I think, as I have about 25gb worth of photos total. This new group is only 2gb though.

So is it possible to download just that specific group of photos without having to turn off the optimization and manually putting them on my iPad?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Sorry to be one of those “beta” posters but I just upgraded my phone to the latest beta since it’s almost GM time and I have a question.

On the iPhone is double-pressing the home button the only way to open the app switcher now? I really loved the force touch on the side for quick changing my apps.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

The Lord Bude posted:

It happens at least once a day for me.

Do you have exceptionally sweaty hands? Mine doesn’t well work after washing my hands.

Could also try erasing all of your prints and re-doing them if you haven’t already.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
My Sony SHB80s have been crap since updating to iOS11. They're over a year old so I thought it was a problem with them, but maybe not. 6S, and even with the phone in my breast pocket the connection will cut out.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

MarcusSA posted:

This deal is back if anyone was still interested. They are great at $63.00 and at least the pair I got were band new.

Beats X

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/beats-by-dr-dre-geek-squad-certified-refurbished-beatsx-earphones-black/5732542.p?skuId=5732542

If only Best Buy shipped internationally. :(

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Has anyone had any problems with Apple Music lately? I had to switch my App Store account to update an app, which is something I do regularly.

Upon switching back to my usual account my entire music library has disappeared. I can still listen to music from the cloud, but what I chose as my library, and the music I personally uploaded is all gone.

I’ve tried signing back out and in, and a few other things, but no luck. Does anyone have any ideas?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It can take a LONG time to reappear. Do you definitely have iCloud music library turned on in settings->music?

100% sure. Even with it on it says "Looking for your music?" on the Library page.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Pivo posted:

It was only an issue for me when I was sat in the back of an A320 trying to watch Stranger Things S2 on my iPad and between cabin noise and the general background noise of the engines, I had a hard time hearing some of the quieter dialogue even with the AirPods on max.

When I fly I bring some wired in-ear airbuds, as the leaking from the AirPods can get annoying after a while. At least the airbuds can block out some of the ambient noise as well.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Whatever way they coded the photos app to offload your stuff to iCloud is so aggressively awful ever since iOS 11 that I find myself setting it to download full res.
It used to be it would keep loads of recent photos before you'd have to download from iCloud but ever since the cursed iOS 11, you could take a photo and immediately have it offloaded to iCloud. So bad

I have had the same problems. I take a bunch of pictures and then later that day when I want to airdrop them to my wife they have to redownload. It would also make sense if they kept your favorites device side, but that doesn’t happen either.

Maybe I’ll just have to get a bigger phone next upgrade cycle.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Would it be possible to have a shortcut auto-run that turns do not disturb on for the duration of an event? And then automatically turn it off again when the event finishes?

I feel like it should be possible but I can't quite figure it out.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Question Mark Mound posted:

I don't think you can have one auto-run when an event starts, don't all shortcuts have to be manually triggered?

I'm testing one now that will turn it on for the current event and seeing if it will auto switch off when the calendar event ends, though, which gets you halfway there.

edit: Oh wait, if you 3D Touch the DND button in control centre, you already have an option for "Until the end of this event"

Yeah it looks like you're right. I want that "until the end of this event" to start automatically as well as turn off automatically. Sometimes I forget to turn DnD on during a class and I will get a notification while I'm teaching. My guess is they'll add some way to do it in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
What is the best way to remote into an iPhone? I live in another country and want to help my elderly mom set up her new watch. Specifically I want to make sure she has fall detection turned on, and her emergency contacts updated. She’s not exactly the most tech savvy so the simpler the better.