Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
He's saying that some of the components are manufactured elsewhere and then shipped to China for assembly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The Gmail app is great until it randomly stops pushing emails to you for some reason. I've found that you can "fix" it by going into settings and toggling the new emails notification off and on, but it will spontaneously break itself again in an indeterminate amount of time.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Hahahahaha, I dunno man, I was right there with you, I'm against the bigphone thing although it's certainly the market trend. But then you throw in that bit about the VR at the end. No, uh, if Apple was producing poo poo like the Gear VR, that would be another big loving red flag that they're heading down the wrong path, just like the dumb Apple Watch.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

So uh, perspective zoom is turned off on both my iPad and iPhone and yet 8.0.2 seems to force it on. It's not as dramatic as if the feature's actually turned on, but my wallpaper is definitely moving. It tripped me out for a second since I'm not used to it.

edit: Home screen only, not the lock screen.

Are you super sure this has not always been the case? I've always turned off perspective zoom on wallpapers, and yes, while it is less pronounced, there is just the tiniest bit of movement when you move the device. With Apple these days, who knows what's intentional and what's a bug, but for me on an iPad Mini Retina and iPhone 5, the same thing has been happening since iOS 7.

In fact, my iPad is still running iOS 7 and it moves even with perspective zoom off, I just checked it.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

tuyop posted:

Is there any way to temporarily stop notifications from appearing on a screen?

My wife takes the iPad to class and she keeps getting banners from iMessage and mailbox, which is annoying for her. Is that what the "silence notifications" always (versus when locked) in do not disturb does?

From like a page back, but I didn't see anyone reply, so yes, that's what the "Always" setting is for. I sometimes use it when I'm playing games on my iPad and don't really care if I get a new Facebook comment or whatever. It's a pain in the rear end to remember to go back and turn it off every time though.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Not sure if it's still true, but when I used Match after it first came out, the big problem for me with it was that it would "match" explicit versions of the songs in my library with clean versions from the iTunes store. Once I turned on Match, there was no way to manually override the Match library and throw in my own (correct) version of the song.

I was in a support thread with them for a long time, and it basically boiled down to there was nothing they could do. They refunded the $25 and gave me a $10 voucher on top of that. I could have probably used that money to re-buy the music from the iTunes Music Store itself, so that iTunes would know I wanted the explicit version, but meh. It only affected like 3-4 albums for me (and even on the album itself, it was spotty, some songs would be the explicit versions while others would be clean) but it was a dealbreaker for me.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
When supply has surpassed demand by enough of an amount that the store is able to have them in stock? I'm not sure what you'd expect more than that.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Linx posted:

Man the iPhone availability in the UK is bad. I ordered a 64Gb Gold 6 the day before yesterday via the apple online store and it's estimating my delivery between 19/11 - 24/11. According to the store page the 6+ has a delay of up to 4 weeks. I felt like I took the safe bet ordering direct from apple, but I know people that have just walked into phone shops and picked up the exact model they want there and then.

Is this pretty much the same situation in the US?

The iPhone 6 came out here in Taiwan on 9/26. I've had mine ordered through my carrier since day one, and here we are, November 7, and I still have no phone.

You can order it through Apple directly and get it within 7-10 days. I'm having to switch to a contract to get LTE though, so I figured I might as well get the discount through the carrier. Buying it from Apple means just paying full price.

Honestly I don't really care since my 5 works fine for the time being. But I have the expanding battery issue which so far hasn't caused any problems somehow, despite the screen steadily separating from just a tiny bump on the top left side of the screen to the entire screen having a good 1.5 cm gap open on the top. I keep expecting it to just stop working one day and then that would totally suck if I hadn't gotten my 6 yet.

I got a text message from my carrier last Friday. It was about an iPhone, I could see on the preview screen! Excitedly opened the SMS app and found out it was just an apology for it taking so long. Thanks, guys.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
That seriously sounds like some hardcore sperg nerd poo poo.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
When your iPhone 6's memory stops working in 2025 instead of 2050 I'm sure Apple will replace it free of charge anyway.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

flosofl posted:

I think they're pushing it is because no one wants it. So for a company that prides itself on a extremely lean and best in class JIT supply chain, that poo poo is clogging the tubes.

Far be it from me to lionize they guy, but this 16GB poo poo would probably not have happened with Steve at the helm.

Yep. There was a looooong wait here if you wanted a 6/6+, "unless you want a 16 gig, we could give you one of those today." I think people woke up and realized poo poo is just too small and no one wants it.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

shodanjr_gr posted:

Is control panel the official name?

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Command center I think.

If you put your two posts together you'd be right, it's called Control Center.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yes, even if you have the explicit version in your library, assuming it matches them. If it's not matched, it uploads your version, which will of course be explicit.

It was funny when Apple gave me a $30 gift card and just told me to buy the explicit versions on iTunes (since if the explicit version is "purchased" by you, it will then serve up the correct version).

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Kind of. Like I am cool and I set "jesus" to just be lowercase because I refuse to respect our lord and savior. However it only works for words without spaces so it will still change things it detects across spans of multiple words, like Jesus Christ. jesus and christ by themselves are fine but it will still "correct" them when put together.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I'm looking at notes preferences right now and that isn't an option. :argh:

The only option is "Default Account" and the only choices are my work email or my personal email.
Settings -> Notes, right?

Seriously garbage software, just going to download a small 3rd party notes app, manually copy all my notes, and then delete this app.

Have fun deleting an app you can't delete. Apple does make some dumb design decisions but you're sperging pretty drat hard right now across multiple threads about your hatred of Notes.app.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm trying to keep my expectations managed since the music app they introduced in iOS 7 or whatever that lists all the albums for an artist in one long view is total dogshit, Picky supremacy. However, having the Up Next ability from Desktop iTunes is ownage so, I'm hopeful. How can the current Music app be so bad when the basis of iPhone was "iPod + Phone"?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Literally The Worst posted:

Is there a way in ios8 music app to sort music by artist, and then have it play only a specific album? If I hit play on something by a band with multiple albums, it'll queue up every album, which isn't remotely close to what I want.

No. It's really bad. The new version of the stock Music app that's currently in beta should hopefully remedy some of this by introducing an "Up Next" feature more like Desktop iTunes (though I haven't used the beta myself, so I can't say for sure). In the meantime, you can buy the app Picky if you want to use something that isn't totally poo poo.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
That's not what he said at all. He wants sort by artist, and then selecting only one album to play. The stock app just plays every album by an artist because it displays everything by an artist as one long pain in the rear end list.

Edit: assuming he doesn't want it shuffled, I guess I could be wrong.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, obviously it's possible, but that's a pain in the rear end since you have to deshuffle and then go back to the first song on the album, unless that just happened to be the first one picked in the shuffle.

I mean, the easiest way is to just remember the name of the album you want and select it from the album tab rather than the artist tab. But either way, it's a pain in the rear end that shouldn't have to be, the pre-iOS 7 music.app worked just fine. I'd rather just use Picky, but if you can't spare a few bucks, I guess you're stuck with the janky workaround for now.

As you can tell, I'm pretty irrationally mad about how much of a regression the current app is. I mean, this stuff all goes back to Phone + iPod, it shouldn't be this hard to just play the music I want to play. At least I got sick gigantic artist images that I didn't even want, I guess?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, I agree with you that it could/should go both ways, as everyone probably listens to poo poo differently. It's funny you mention that it should just play an album by tapping on its header/artwork, I just assumed that's how it would work when I first updated. I tried tapping it like a dummy. :(

Just having a good queueing system will go a long way, and I'm glad they're finally doing it, hopefully they don't gently caress it up.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Biodome posted:

Anyone have a recommend for an iPhone 6 case that can hold a couple credit cards? I don't want one with a flap, though, like the bookbook. Just some slits in the back to hold cards.

I've used the CM4 Q Card Case before. It did the job well, there may be better things out there now but this was in the early days of the iPhone 6.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Do you have Do Not Disturb mode to silence notifications "always" or "only when locked"? Setting it to "always" should keep it silent even when you're actually actively using it. Of course, I'm also assuming that you don't have any other exemptions such as calls from Favorites or repeated calls being able to override Do Not Disturb.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
lol at someone seriously opting to crack their phone open to try and fix something because they don't want to wait in line at an apple store. Then having it still be broken, and coming here in search of some solution. Your poo poo is hosed dude, and now Apple won't even repair it for you, so enjoy buying a new phone.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Molten Llama posted:

Even the "I done hosed up" out of warranty replacement price is less than 70% (less than 50%, in fact, even assuming you have a 16GB) of a new phone.

Hand Apple $299 and you're done.

Keep in mind that the price of a replacement (and availability of replacement services in general) varies from country to country, so if he's outside of the U.S. this may not be true. Here in Taiwan if you get your phone through your carrier, Apple won't even provide service to you, and the carriers here are not nearly as cool or affordable with service as Apple itself is.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, sometimes that function still works for me but most of the time it doesn't, I guess it has something to do with the app being in memory or not.

I thought it would be an easy workaround to start shuffling all songs, since the stupid new music app doesn't have a simple way to do it. I remember someone mentioning that in iOS 9 betas they had added that back in, I hope so.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
You can open control center just fine with the keyboard up. I just tested it right now while writing this awesome post.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, I know the focus is more of an "app switcher," which is why it defaults more to the last app you used and thus you'd want to quickly switch to, rather than the one you were just in. But it does seem weird that they kind of changed the direction of things, pretty used to older stuff being on the right. I guess it will just take some getting used to.

My biggest iOS 9 gripe is still the music app. Okay, cool, you added in a "Shuffle All" button, but now I have a persistent banner reminding me that it's showing me only music on my iPhone. Okay? Cool? Can I dismiss it? Could it even just stay at the top of the screen and go away when I scroll? gently caress You?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Here's a weird iOS9 bug that I can reproduce:

If I have notifications on the lockscreen, and I swipe down to view my notification center, when I swipe notification center back up, all the notifications on the lockscreen are gone.

Is there any place to report this kind of thing to Apple if you're not a developer or whatever? I want to help fix bugs :(

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Well if it's not a bug, it's definitely a change in iOS 9 because previously I used to do the same thing all the time (checking my Today View and then quickly swiping it closed) and notifications on the lockscreen persisted. Kind of weird, since I sometimes just leave things on my lockscreen that I know I need to reply to or whatever, not a huge deal. Also, some things do seem to persist, like Reminders, but other (3rd party?) apps are now all clearing.

I've been having a lot of notification weirdness in 9 regardless, sometimes sounds aren't working despite ringer being at max volume, at first I blamed the app but I realize it's happening on more than one app so I don't know. The weird thing is it even works sometimes, but just randomly there will be no sound.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

IllegallySober posted:

Since updating to 9.0 I'm only getting a sound from my text notifications sporadically- maybe one time in three or so. Anyone else having this issue and/or have a solution?

Definitely getting this and already posted about it here, not only in Messages but with other apps as well. No idea about a fix, seems like flipping the switch on the side to mute and then back to ring works sometimes. I even tried rebooting the phone but it's still happening. Pretty lame.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Archiving a message in the Gmail app from the lockscreen definitely still required passcode/TouchID in iOS 8 for me.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

No Taiko no Tatsujin+ on your first two screens? For shame man, for shame.

(I hope I remember you correctly from the iOS games thread as being pretty much the only goon I've ever seen actually talking about Taiko+ :ohdear:)

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I had the coolest bug last night where my phone wouldn't charge, or at least it didn't give any visual/audio indication that it was charging. I was freaking out thinking that somehow the port was broken, because I tried two different chargers and two different cables, both of which worked fine to charge my iPad, but my phone just wasn't responding to being plugged in at all. A reboot of the phone cleared everything up, somehow. iOS 9 still has a lot of bugs to work out, which is a shame, since I thought the whole point of 9 was to stop trying to change everything so much and just make a more stable and consistent OS.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Stare-Out posted:

Hm, I'll have to give it a go a few times and see how it does things. Just basically trying to avoid happily FaceTiming away and ending up with a huge gently caress-off bill for international calls all of a sudden that FaceTime turned into regular calls instead of WiFi or 3G calls.

FaceTime can't just turn into a regular call.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Did you miss the part in the first sentence where he said it had been charged for hours?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is how Tim steals your money.

Am I imagining things or did there use to be s way to post Facebook updates directly from the notification pull down. I don't see it anymore.

It went away in like iOS 8 or maybe even earlier. RIP easily spamming FB and Twitter.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Pretty sure the guy is trying to change his outgoing caller ID which as far as I know isn't possible on iOS (at least without a jailbreak or whatever).

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm sure that app does what it says, but it will still only do it within that app. It won't affect the stock phone/messages app.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I've got iTunes 12.3.2.35 on my Mac which would suggest you're not totally up to date despite what the "Check for Updates" feature is showing you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Craptacular! posted:

The iPhone desperately needs some options with regard to how it handles incoming calls. If I'm using the phone when a call comes in, I want a single mom-looping tone and a notification drop down with answer and hang up buttons, similar to an incoming text message or email.

I do not want the entire screen seized from me. I don't want the video I'm watching to stop unless I choose to answer. I can maybe understand that some people will want a looping sound, so that should be an option, but the full screen Answer/HangUp thing is rooted in the original iPhone, which was designed far more to be a traditional cellphone that occasionally does a thing, rather than the online app machine that happens to use cellular bands that it has become.

I've never had a problem with phone calls taking over my phone, but I have noticed before that the Phone app does have a settings page in the Notifications settings. It has options for alert style when unlocked like any other app: None/Banner/Alert. If you set it to Banner does it not just pop up a banner as requested when you get a call?