Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
That's what he just said? Last (i.e. last known) location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It also prompts you about location services being improved if you turn your wifi back on, for example when you open the camera. I assume that's part of the nagging, it is kind of annoying.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Just join all of us in Asia who use AssistiveTouch, using its virtual home button will trigger the passcode prompt on the lock screen.

I do think getting rid of swipe to unlock is dumb though. It's 2016 and Apple is bad. RIP Steve.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Anyone having this issue with Apple Music since the update?

I'll choose shuffle all songs. I'll then choose a song, press it and choose play next. It will play next, but then it'll play again two songs later. I can load up 3 songs in a row by using play next, all 3 will play, then one random song, then all 3 play again.

This exact thing has happened to me at least three times and I was wondering if it was just a bizarre coincidence with Shuffle happening to select the song I had just wanted to listen to again (I never checked the Up Next queue). Thanks for making me feel less crazy. The Music app just seems really glitchy, I also sometimes edit my Up Next to remove songs I don't feel like listening to, which worked fine in iOS 9 but now the songs seem to somehow randomly add themselves back, even after confirming they're gone.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

OldSenileGuy posted:

1) The ability to turn wifi automatically back on after X amount of minutes. Often when I go outside to walk my dog I turn wifi off because the phone clings to wifi just enough to stay connected but not enough to actually transfer any data. So I switch to LTE, but then I forget to switch my wifi back on and end up blowing through a ton of data for the rest of the day. A "turn wifi off for 15 minutes" option would fix this. Alternatively, just make it so it doesn't stay connected to a wifi network if it can't do anything with it.

Do you have Wi-fi Assist on? Many people turned it off whenever it first rolled out, due to concerns about it stealthily consuming all your cellular data even when you appeared to be connected to wifi. I kind of have a similar situation where I can still connect to my wifi even when I'm outside my building in the parking lot, but Wi-fi Assist really helped with making sure the data still flows when it used to crap out and try to stay connected to a weak, distant wifi signal.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Just to be clear, you've disabled both:

In Messenger: "Me" tab > Notifications > Notifications in Messenger > Sound

In Settings.app: Notifications > Messenger >Sounds

Right? The former will only disable the sound inside the app (i.e. you have it open already and a new message rolls in). The latter should disable sounds outside of the app at an OS-level.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Unless you're jailbroken, you can't share app files because each one is DRM'd to the account that downloaded it.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Is "plug it out" a new way to say unplug something that the hip kids are saying these days or something?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Flip the switch on the side of the phone to silent?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
For me, iOS has tons of weird glitches like that. Best solution is to just restart the phone.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Kerbtree posted:

So, can someone lay out exactly how the DND switch works?
If I flip the switch and then inadvertantly hit vol-up, have I adjusted the volume after I un-flip the switch, or un-muted myself?
The pop-up you get shows the un-muted symbol :confused:

Which switch are you talking about?

If it's the switch on the side of the phone, it's not really a "DND" switch, it's just the ring/silent switch. It's explicitly to silent the phone's ringing and notification sounds. It doesn't mute all sounds automatically. For example if you watch a video it will still play audio, which is the volume that the volume buttons are controlling and the pop-up is showing. The pop-up should clearly say if the volume it's displaying is the Ringer or the Volume.

It's up to 3rd party app developers to decide how to deal with the state of the switch, so it's kind of a crapshoot. Some apps will mute themselves, but not all will, so be careful before you load up a game or something in a meeting with the switch set to silent.

If you're talking about the actual DND button in the Control Center (the moon icon), it just silences all calls and notifications, meaning it won't even vibrate or light up a locked screen. The notifications still arrive, but, uh, the phone doesn't notify you of them, if that makes sense.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Everyone else getting a refurb must be experiencing the same problem and are just dealing with it.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Because Apple is bad at even handling music on their iPod in phone form now. RIP uncomplicated software that just works.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Snowy posted:

Sometimes in safari I'll click on a google link and it takes me to what I think is a google cached version of the page, I usually only notice it if I copy the URL and it's a google address.

Like I just googled "best yarlers" and clicked on the first link, which took me to this url: https://www.google.com/amp/www.metalsucks.net/2013/12/12/top-ten-yarlers-time/amp/

There's a little link button up top which I can click to go to the actual site, but why is it doing that rather than going to the site directly?

Because Google is bad, OP. It's called AMP and Google prioritizes it in their mobile search results.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Dots in Gmail addresses don't matter though.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah, Youtube only recently broke the ability to play it in the background with Safari. It's what finally got me to break down and buy ProTube.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It's pretty bad, my man. I mean, it delivers messages fine enough, but do they have to try to shoehorn every drat feature in the world into the app? I don't even lament Facebook for trying to lift features from other services I just don't get why they should all be integrated into their messaging service when it would fit in better with the regular app or as a standalone app.

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 16, 2017

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

xzzy posted:

It also never nags for point releases. Can't say if it will/won't nag for major releases but I update day one anyways so have never given it opportunity.

I don't really care since I actually find the nagging useful, I'm no longer quite the major sperg who updates day one but just whenever that poo poo prompts me. But it definitely does nag for point releases, too. In fact, I think I get those nags more quickly, possibly because the OS doesn't mind downloading a smaller patch file quickly and prompting me to update versus a huge gigabyte+ release or something.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
You will literally feel courageous every time you use it.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Khablam posted:

Of course, 99% of those theoretical features could be supported with a long-press on older machines/iPads.

Exactly. Most people bring up the clearing notifications or the flashlight thing as if it's not just an artificial limit of the OS that couldn't be easily done with a long press as well. Holy poo poo Apple is truly amazing me with 3D touch by limiting a few random features to it. What will the boys in Cupertino cook up next??

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
He said he had an iPhone and yeah I didn't get from that post why he needed to keep the rest in a separate device unless it's just a sheer storage volume issue.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It creates its own Wifi network. But you need to have Wifi turned on on your phone, if that's what you mean.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It's 2017 and mobile operating systems are bad, op.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

bobfather posted:

iPod Touches, even when they were available were the red-headed stepchild to the iPhone since like the iPhone 4.

They still are, though? https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-ipod/ipod-touch

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

bobfather posted:

Plus, using a stylus on your phone was everything Steve Jobs reviled about phones of his era. It wouldn't surprise me if he made Jony Ives pinky swear to him on his deathbed that he would never let that come to pass.

Steve's Apple is, much like Steve, dead.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Long press the Refresh button -> Request Desktop Site. Pretty much the only way I know of since Google doesn't allow you to opt-out of AMP, even though it sucks.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yep. It's still "auto" but it thinks it has a new limit for minimum brightness. To reset it I've found the easiest way is to cover the proximity sensor and rear camera (it must do some light sampling from the back too because I swear it doesn't work right if I just cover the proximity sensor) so that the phone thinks it's "dark" and then move the slider down to the minimum.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

xzzy posted:

Powering the screen off then unlocking the phone again works too.

Stupid, but easy.

This doesn't reset the actual min/max brightness of the auto brightness, it just takes a new measurement of the ambient light and adjusts the brightness accordingly.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah but if you're in a bright place it will then compensate thinking you want it darker and lower the maximum. Believe me, I've sperged out hard over this so you don't have to.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Maybe most of the reviews are gushing because they're a really good product.

If you want a con, there is just as much audio lag with AirPods as I got with a pair of cheapo Chinese $20 bluetooth headphones. It's probably just a problem with the wireless technology itself, but I definitely remember someone in here posting that the AirPods were supposedly better in this regard.

It won't matter much for day to day stuff but it does mean I still need a wired set for ~MY RHYTHM GAMES~.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah I didn't notice any problem with videos, I'm not sure if iOS is actually smart enough to delay the video or if it's just close enough. It's a sync issue in terms of mere milliseconds but in a rhythm game it's still noticeable.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Pretty sure this conversation came up in light of multiple people here claiming that AirPods, while not audiophile quality, were "a bit better" than EarPods. As a dude who likes EarPods and AirPods, I'd have to say that they sound basically exactly the same.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I haven't used it in a long time so what I say may no longer be accurate, but it definitely did not remove the higher quality matched files after I unsubbed. I still have a few of them. Keep in mind that it doesn't automatically download matched files on your PC, though. You have to manually do it by first erasing your old file, otherwise iTunes defaults to the original local files.

There's a way to tell if a song matched or not (it's an attribute you can sort by in your iTunes library), I don't think it has anything to do with ID3 tags, though. It scans based on the audio.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Whoever kept posting that Screen Recording doesn't work in landscape mode (i.e. it makes everything portrait and thus useless for a lot of games) was flat-out wrong. On my first attempt, just to see how it went, it recorded a landscape game just fine. No editing required afterwards. If it helps, I started the recording after already being in landscape--the Control Center was all wide and stupidly does not even fit within the width of the screen on a SE, first time I ever saw a scrollbar in Control Center.

Now I can post all my sick Taiko no Tatsujin full combos on social media.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Pivo posted:

so just use the volume buttons? even with mute off, when no audio is playing, volume up/down changes ringer without previewing your ring

Unless you have "Change with Buttons" turned off in Settings > Sounds > Ringer and Alerts.

I leave my phone on vibrate 99% of the time, and anytime I turn the ringer on it's because I really want to be alerted to a call so I just leave the ringer set to max volume. For me, it's nice to know the volume buttons only affect system volume and never ringer volume.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
What are you talking about? Getting notifications that look like this are totally normal and part of the Apple experience, especially after months of beta and three bug fix updates after the initial public release.

There should only be one notification from Citi. For some reason, iOS 11 seems to duplicate random older notifications when I get newer notifications. The duplication goes in place of the new notification, which is even cooler because I can't see what the new notification actually is, or even what app it came from. The text overrun is because the new notification was shorter. This happens daily and with a bunch of different apps, but not consistently. If I relock/unlock the phone a couple of times (or get another notification) the problem goes away, but usually just for an hour or two.

Of course, even with no notifications, when there's music playing (creating that big, ever-so-useful card in my notifications), the "No Older Notifications" text directly overlays the "Press Home to Open" text. Apple is good.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
No, I don't, and either way it's not limited to Citi's app. It has doubled up notifications from lots of apps, including stock ones like Messages.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Because iOS 11 is bad, OP. Everyone's phone has a bunch of unique problems, Apple is dead, RIP.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I don't think many people will care/be affected, but just FYI, iOS 11.1 changes how AssistiveTouch works. When activated, the menu no longer pops open in the center of the screen, but now pops out from wherever the button is on the screen. Like most change, I'm sure it will just take some getting used to, but it does seem like it will be difficult to predict where exactly the onscreen menu will appear, especially after years of muscle memory with it always appearing in the same spot.

I do like that you can now add different commands for double tapping and long pressing it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
iOS 11, the only version of iOS where I've somehow gotten locked into notification center. Thanks, timb.