Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The sign-in for iTunes & App Store is the separate sign-in. If you sign in (or sign out) there it won't affect your base iCloud sign-in. Which, for the record, is the thing at the very top of the Settings app, with your picture/name. Try signing out via the iTunes & App Store page, and then go back to the "main" Apple ID page and you'll still be signed in to everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Laserface posted:

lmao who the gently caress has time to wait for a 7.5w charge? 5w? loving forget that.

my phone has bounced between 20 and 80% through 15w quick charging via cable for like the last 6 months. 20-30min on the commute to/from work and occasional juicing up before I head out for the night.

but yeah sure just put your phone down precisely on this dumb pad and not use it for 3 hours while it charges and interrupt it any time you need to use the thing. great idea. why is this feature at all popular.

15w quick charging your phone is not great for the battery so im not sure why you think this is good.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It mentioned the FaceID changes on two TouchID devices I updated today.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Question Mark Mound posted:

edit2: Come the gently caress on Apple, you just bought the app that does this internationally, why limit it to the US?

Dark Sky definitely didn't work everywhere internationally, for example it doesn't work where I live. But I see your point that it may have worked in other countries outside the US.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Honj Steak posted:

Iirc you can’t update the Chinese app afterwards.

I don't use Apple Music so I can't comment on Creature's caveat, but unless there's something specific about China's App Store updates, you most definitely can update apps from other countries' App Stores when you're signed into a different Apple ID/app store. It used to prompt for the password of the other country's account rather than just update as soon as you hit the button, but for me at least, now it works fine totally seamlessly. I use apps from the app stores of three different countries, all update fine even when I'm just signed into my primary (US) account.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Can you just crank the volume back up right away?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It says very clearly in the screenshot that the notifications can't be turned off. I think "reduce loud sounds" is something totally different.

edit: maybe not? :shrug:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It seems like something specific to iMessage, the keyboard lags when you initially type even on newer phones. I've seen it happen on both an XR and XS anyway.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

MagSafe charger arrived today and I didn’t realize you need a thing that actually sends the electricity up to the puck so that was another $20 for a 30w usb-c dongle thing. (I have an iPhone 7 and no usb-c devices, besides)

that's the price of courage and also saving the environment now

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Does iOS 14.2 fix the drat keyboard lag in iMessages yet? It's really weird how randomly it seems to occur (for me, at least), but in the last few days on whatever the last 14.1.x version is, it's been hitting really bad.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
also it would be cool if Apple could stop the keyboard from lagging in iMessages now that iOS 14 has gone through two major point releases and several smaller ones. but hey, emoji?

i'm sure the lag is just caused by a casual nobigdeal keylogger or something that a good, cool, and privacy-first company like Apple has put into iOS 14 for our protection, but honestly i don't care i just wanna be able to type messages thank you Tim apple

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I've had that happen for years, and then of course when it says incorrect passcode there's an animation/delay of the wrong code clearing out, which usually leads to another (or another four or five) incorrect attempts as I keep trying to key it in as quickly as possible.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I just hope there's a way to get audio over Magsafe or whatever stupid loving solution Apple comes up with to go portless in the name of "courage." Bluetooth audio owns at everything except latency and MY RHYTHM GAMES are very, very, important to me!!!!

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Because Apple. There are about a billion "Why doesn't iOS allow..." kind of questions and you just have to hope it's one of the great new innovations in next year's version of iOS, until then it's something no one really wants and you're an edge case.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I know I'm contributing to this thread becoming pages of "post your battery percentages" anecdotes, but...

My XR dropped down to 92% very quickly. Like less than a year. That was kind of worrying. But then in the following year+ (I got it in December 2018) up to now, it's holding basically steady at 91%. And I haven't really noticed any significant difference in actual battery performance in that time, though I am rarely running it to empty or even to the red percentages.

Phone is pretty much on a Qi charger any time I'm at home/at work and not using it. But I do use it somewhat heavily when I'm out, GPS tracking usually at least for an hour and a half each day, streaming Spotify, and gaming.

My feeling is there's doubt about how accurate their indicator is. There was no big change in my use case for it to fall by 8% in less than a year and then 1% over the next year. I'm sure the battery is actually degrading and not really still 91% as good as it was brand new, but meh. It works until it doesn't. That's how it was with my 1st-gen SE. Just dropped off a cliff into the unexpected shutdown territory.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Spotify updated their app today to have no icon (at least, a search of Twitter shows I'm not alone but no idea if it's affecting all iOS users or just a small subset of us) so that's pretty pro of them.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
One of the Apple Arcade games I've been trying out during my free trial (Tiny Crosswords) often prompts for reviews using a custom pop-up. I'm assuming this was at one time (or still is, outside of Apple Arcade) a F2P app, stripped of all the monetization to be part of Arcade. You'd think Apple would more strictly enforce the guidelines on apps being offered directly within their subscription services, but I suppose that's :effort:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I just got it to pop up. Perhaps it triggers after you do the Daily Crossword, which would make sense as to why I feel like I have to dismiss it every day.

I never even noticed before screenshotting it that it actually even has the wrong (or, I presume, original non-Arcade) name of the app in the popup, "Crossword Explorer."

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I think it was Facetime that they said would be an open standard and then just quietly never made that part materialize.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
cool, thanks for the insanely embarrassing post

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Apple sells the second generation (H1) Airpods in two options, one with the original (non-wireless) charging case and one with the wireless charging case. You bought the former, which is the cheaper option.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
If you have a light on the outside of the case, you've got a wireless charging case. You can still charge with lightning as well.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I use an Apple ID that will get locked from time to time when some idiot tries to log in too many times using my email address (common name).

After unlocking it, I have to sign back in on all my devices, which is not only a total pain but also prompts those "Your Apple ID is being used for iMessages/FaceTime/whatever on a new device..." pop ups on every other Apple device. So I deal with them a lot.

Sometimes they take a few days to pop up on a specific device and they do sometimes randomly pop up again like weeks after the fact. So it's definitely not a perfect system. All my devices have unique names so it's pretty easy for me to make sure it's actually my iPad or whatever, and not some random hacker's.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

EpicNemesis posted:

Okay. I give up and need help with what I thought would be a semi common question.

Can I put one of those magnetic rings on my wireless charging battery pack or charging pad to jerry rig it to work with MagSafe or will that disrupt the charging capabilies and potentially damage something/ burn my house down

I have an 11, and when I go to the 13 I’d rather keep my existing accessories and modify them than buy all new ones.

Pretty sure you can still use any Qi-compatible charger with a MagSafe-capable phone, you just don't get the extra features of MagSafe (faster charge, uh, locking into place?). I know one poster here said he had problems with his Qi charger after upgrading but that's definitely not how it's supposed to work.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
that's cool man

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Phase. I was so stoked for that game that, even as a poor college student who couldn't afford it, I went to the Apple Store on the day the game was released and bought whatever the current-gen iPod Nano (3rd?) was with no question of the price, because the iPod I was using at the time was too old to support Phase. The allure of a Harmonix game with a seemingly-infinite playlist of my own music was too strong to go against.

Truth be told, it wasn't that great in terms of making a chart from your songs, but yeah, rest assured I still played so much that the clickwheel "buttons" on the left, right, and middle got to the point where they no longer responded to presses unless you really jammed them down. The hardware (understandably) wasn't designed to be subjected to the wear and tear more akin to what a gamepad would receive. RIP to that Nano.

Thanks for reading my PhasePosting.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
how bout dem iphones

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
There's still a level that will appear (not sure if it's dependent on the grid being on since I've always had it on) but only when the lens is parallel to the ground, useful for taking pictures of documents or whatnot and making sure the angle isn't too skewed. If there's something else beyond that that you're talking about, can't say I've ever noticed it.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It doesn't. At least, depending on how it cracks. Source: My iPhone XR that I have used for over 3 years without a case. I finally dropped it in February on the kitchen floor and cracked the hell out of the back glass. It still charges wirelessly just fine, though. Suspiciously the spiderwebbing of the glass snakes right around the Apple logo as if they designed the glass to not harm their precious logo when it shatters.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
lol look at that weirdo (my monitor is on)

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
lol that the goon rage against "battery janitoring" has become such dogma that there are now posters super concerned that possibly having a percentage displayed by default is a huge detriment to the iOS Experience™, and worse still may detract from life itself!!!

those couple of posters ought to do less default setting janitoring imho.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
people sometimes do unnecessary but harmless things all the time tho. i get that they're using their phone wrong or w/e but honestly who cares.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I totally agree that things like "showcasing a photo on the lock screen" is pretty weak as far as major OS upgrades go, and may actually be a regression in UI/UX from some users' standpoint, (I also feel it's a kinda dumb feature fwiw) but also what exactly do you expect from the sixteenth major revision to the OS? Just like phones in general have slowly but steadily all morphed into the same general shape/size/features, iOS is has pretty much been incremental updates for years because most of it is already doing what it needs to be doing.

Fair enough that you're disappointed, but honestly I'd prefer years of incremental "major" updates than Apple just totally deciding to reinvent the wheel every year only for the sake of having something majorly different.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Rageaholic posted:

I was helping my mom set up her new lock screen on her 12 earlier. She's got hearing aids connected to her iPhone, and the battery widget for the lock screen seems to only display her hearing aid battery percentage, not her iPhone battery percentage like she wanted. I did turn on battery percentage for her, so it shows in the status bar, just not on the lock screen.

I was doing some Googling and I read that if you have a device connected that the lock screen battery widget will always display that device's battery and not the phone's battery, meaning as long as she has her hearing aids connected, it won't show her phone's battery on the lock screen. Is that correct?

On the Lock Screen, the battery widgets have a menu you can open if you tap the widget after placing it down on the screen. You can choose it to display "Automatic" which I guess just lets iOS decide which battery meter is most relevant, or you can select it to always show a certain device (the phone itself, or any currently connected Bluetooth devices). So you should be able to override it showing the hearing aids' batteries.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Steve Yun posted:

Battery percentage option doesn’t seem to show up on iOS 16 on my iPhone 12 mini

Apparently it's not an option on the iPhone 12/13 mini, the iPhone 11, or the iPhone XR. "Why?" you ask. Because, Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Vegetable posted:

Is it just me or does Instagram not remember silent mode anymore in the latest iOS. I can’t get it to silence its stories even when my phone is in silent mode.

Yeah this was an annoying "feature" they rolled out a week or two ago. With the latest update (today or yesterday) it went back to the old behavior of respecting the silent switch, thankfully. However your mileage may vary since they could be just randomly testing it with different groups of users to see how much irritation they can handle. Worth it to check if there's an update available in the app store, though.