Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

Well, congratulations because Apple is now giving you twice the storage for what would have been the cost of the 32gb model! :toot:
Yeah, this is how I'm looking at it. I was going to get more than 16 GB, so I was hoping they'd increase the base storage, but I'm not going to complain about getting 64 GB instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mahoning posted:

I was going to say "I can't believe that people actually think that 16GB is insufficient for a vast majority of iPhone users" but this is from the same people who were probably like "2GB of RAM or I'll pass".

I was also going to say "Do you understand that you're not even close to the average user?" but that is repeated over and over to these type of people and they never listen so what would be different this time?

Look, if I can't store 200 hours of 2 hour EDM mixes and listen to them without getting kicked from RAM like an average user, then I just won't be buying this phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Does anyone's iPhone actually use more than a 1GB of Ram?

No, because it only has 1 GB of RAM.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Just download more if you need them

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Athletic Footjob posted:

The replacement unit has something like a 3 month warranty IIRC.
Yeah. You can just punch its serial number into the Applecare site to be sure, but it should still be covered.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

electricHyena posted:

Yeah, there's not too much on there I'm worried about, it's all in dropbox, and I'll just manually add new contacts. Thanks
Just connect your Google account.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dogen posted:

Have we talked about how ios 8 seems to have a weird icon on the lock screen showing where you are? When I was at the bank today, the logo for my bank was in the lower left :tinfoil:

That's related to iBeacons, I'm pretty sure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been using the Yosemite public beta for awhile and only iPhoto gives me issues, which they warned about. Thankfully, it's not something I use often, but having to go to my Windows machine to actually convert RAW photos one by one with the lovely Sony software is the worst.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

Woahhhh all my family members have 8gb 4S's and none have room for the update. What are their options?

Connect to iTunes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iTunes 12 is red.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

coke zero mit mayo posted:

Edit: what the gently caress the button is right at the top of the playlist. How did I miss that?
If you open a playlist, the first thing it shows is the first song on the list. The download all button is ABOVE that so it's easy to miss if you don't know it's there.

EDIT: Yeah, the Lightning cable I keep in my office looks like that on the Lightning connector side. Well, the rubber outside has worn away and the shielding is visible. If I return my brown case, I might see if they'll replace my cable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was about to say that can't be right because I have one that came with my 5s, but no, it came with my iPad Air.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Found the VoLTE option:

Surprised it's not on by default.

edit: Let's see if it even works!

It was on by default on my T-Mo phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gimme a buzz and let's test that voice quality! :haw:
I made a call and it dropped immediately. The LTE signal in my apartment is garbage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Two questions from coworkers on T-Mo: is Wi-Fi calling working in your 6? Does it work on older devices or just the 6?
I'll put it this way: I can set it to Wifi calling, but I tried to make a call and it failed. Turning it off and it went through. So I dunno. The option is on my 5s, but I assume it would work just as well if I tried it there.

EDIT: Tried again and it went through so *shrug*

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 19, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think I am going to return my brown case and get a green poly one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Being a big feature adding update, it will almost certainly be 8.1 unless there's an 8.1 before that. I imagine there will be an 8.0.1 before then, though, to fix some bugs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

I remember getting the 5 demo unit before it came out and thought the same thing about that, excited to see how the 6 looks. Did they improve the brightness or color reproduction or anything on it this time around?

We'll probably have to wait for the Displaymate review to find out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

No, but there is a Hangouts app.

That won't help him with texts sent through Hangouts.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

What's the reason why I would turn on voice over LTE?
Better voice quality and if you're on Verizon it lets you talk and use data at the same time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Euphoriaphone posted:

Is anyone else having problems logging into their Google account for mail/contacts/calendar with 2-Step Verification enabled on their 6? When I set up my 6 I restored it from a backup of my 5s. I can log into my Google account in the YouTube app and in Safari, but it keeps telling me my password is incorrect when I try it in the Settings menu. I had 2-Step enabled on my Google account, and even generating new App Passwords wouldn't go through. Eventually I tried disabling the 2-Step on Google, and now my iPhone accepts my password. Has anyone else had the same problem and been able to fix it? Something tells me it might be because I set it up as a restored version of a different iPhone model, and it would work if I reset my 6 and set it up as a new phone. I'd really prefer not to have to do that, though.

If you restored from a backup I think you have to get a new app-specific password.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stop trying to start a -Gategate, guys.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:lol: Beats Music only launched 9 months ago and Apple is shutting it down already.

http://pitchfork.com/news/56815-apple-reportedly-shutting-down-beats-music/

Not enough 2 hour EDM mixes that the average iPhone user enjoys, I guess!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

randyest posted:

What's the correct procedure/order/way to activate a new phone and then switch sim cards to change the numbers? I used my wife's line's upgrade to order a new 6. She'll be getting my 5s, and we'll sell her 5.

Should I activate the new 6 as-is, which I guess will make it have my wife's number, then swap the sim cards? Or swap the sim cards before activation?

Thanks for any help; it's been 2 years since I did this (last year I upgraded my line so it was obvious what to do.)
It might only make a difference if you have 2-Factor Authentication turned on (and you should), since when I tried activating my 6, the servers weren't sending them to iMessage quickly, so I had to get a text, which was a bit of a pain. This probably won't be the case now. Other than that, just make sure not to let it sign iMessage into your wife's phone number if you choose to activate prior to swapping SIMs.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 22, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

dutchbstrd posted:

Granted this was at the Flagship store in SF, where some guy at the Genius Bar slammed his fists down on the table and screamed "this is hosed" and they continued to help him, so YMMV.
Years of Steve stopping by trained them for that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="435310291"]
My coworker just got an unlocked T-Mobile iPhone 6 on the nerd plan. I'm on the same plan on an unlocked Moto X 2013. When both our phone are in the same spots, his will either have no service or one bar of 4G. Mine will almost always be on LTE. If he cycles airplane mode, his phone will usually find a signal, but it will only be one bar of 4G. Walking around work, my phone will almost always be on 1-2 bars of LTE where his will continue to say no signal or 1 bar of 4G.

Is there a signal issue with iPhone 6s? ios8? I'm pretty sure both phones can access the same LTE frequencies. Why would I get decent service when he gets none?

Different phones have better antennas than others. Motorola is pretty well regarded for having excellent antennas.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nate fisher posted:

Oh I agree. That is why I said you will see it more with a bigger iPhone (6+).

I was just being stupid, but slim cut here too (only cut any man should wear). Where are these skinny jeans people at that Goons keep blaming all the world problems on? It is the new 'Blame Obama'.
Perhaps you don't go in YLLS, but there is an entire thread devoted to guys wearing skinny jeans where they constantly complain about the thread's favorite brand having useless small pockets.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

nate fisher posted:

You can add "Hack" to this. Everything from DDOS to rooting a phone to the very annoying idiots who post from another person's Facebook "Bobbie Sue You Been Hacked!", because the person left their Facebook logged on.
I like Android people who root their phones by following a walkthrough and call it "hacking."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I'm not sure what "real professional job" uses free Gmail accounts for business purposes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Phantom Limb posted:

Now if you have a mobile share plan above 10 gigs and Next you get $25 off your plan, so it's actually a pretty good deal. Next time make sure you're citing info that's not a year old.

It's only $15 off if you're on a plan with less than 10 GB, which is probably the bulk of people with only one line on their plan, in which case, the subsidy still works out a bit cheaper. (There's a bit of an oddity, though, where 6 GB and 10 GB cost the same if you're on Next or SIM-only, so that can help at least some heavy users.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Many businesses use Google Apps for Work. However for those people Google allows the Exchange support that it used to allow everyone, so push isn't an issue for them.
Yes, I know, but I specifically mentioned free Gmail because that does not offer Exchange support.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

While iOS 8 is still buggy as can be, I really like what it has become. Still need some edges to be smoothed over, etc, but I really feel like it serves me better than Android now.

I find it to be much less buggy than iOS 7 was at launch. I was getting 1-2 resprings per day on that, while I've only gotten one with iOS 8. My only major concern is that notifications seem to not want to swipe away sometimes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

I've never had Touch ID before the 6. Is it supposed to feel a little laggy at times? I've somehow been conditioned to just rest my thumb on the home button for about a second and then lift my thumb back up even though the phone doesn't unlock for another second or so.
It's fine for me. I won't say it's better than my 5s, but it's definitely no worse. Have you tried putting in your most-used finger twice? That supposedly helps.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

Not that any of what I'm about to ask for help with is incredible important to me but I'm still very curious.

I haven't been a frequent Starbucks drinker since probably my iPhone 4 when I was using the app regularly. Now on my 6 with iOS 8 I've redownloaded the app and loaded some money into my digital card, etc. However, nothing pops up when I'm near my local Starbucks (I'm inside of it right now, actually). Isn't iBeacon or Passbook supposed to appear on the lock screen when I'm nearby? I just want these cool features on my cool new phone but it's not working I think I might stomp my feet.
I'm pretty sure Passbook requires you to set some favorite locations that it will pop up in, but that may have changed for iOS 8. I haven't really used it, though, since the one I go to most is in my building, and it would just keep the card on the screen all day, which was annoying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

Got my 6+ last night, with 8.0.0 included. Cellular data did not work, so I upgraded to 8.0.2 today and it still doesn't work. I thought the cell data problem was only with 8.0.1?
If your cellular data didn't work out of the box, you either have a bad phone or a bad SIM card. If you have an Apple store near you, I'd book an appointment immediately.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Call Applecare, then. It's certainly covered on warranty. Are you sure you're using a phone for the proper provider or an unlocked phone?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think he is expecting them to be logged in and set up.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I thought SMS handoff worked regardless, but calling was what it turned off. I'll have to see if it's even enabled on Public Beta 4 and works on my 2011 MBA. I'm seriously considering getting the next MBA just to get those features.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think what people have kind of figured is happening is that it's sending SMS over iCloud to iMessages on both Macs and iPads if you have an iPad, but phone calls get funneled over local wifi, hence wifi calling disabling calling handoff, while they just disabled the SMS feature for 8.0 since Yosemite is not out yet. I could be wrong, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Clocks posted:

I don't know where to post, but...

I'm on a 5s and stupidly upgraded to the newest iOS or whatever yesterday. Since then I've been loving miserable. A lot of the apps and games I have that used to work fine before are a laggy mess, everything is taking longer to load, connectivity is poor in general... and it's obviously the update, since I wasn't having any issues whatsoever before I decided to stupidly update my phone. Not to mention things like notifications 'sticking' (unless I hit the home button, I guess) and all that jazz. And from what I can tell, it's not possible to revert to older versions since Apple is no longer signing for them?

What do I do?? Wait it out? It's driving me crazy.

You could try restoring, since that doesn't sound right. My 5s works fine on iOS8 other than some apps that were crashing when it first launched. Alternatively, wait for apps to update.