Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm sure this is covered ad naseum, but I just had my first cracked (destroyed) glass on my 6.

I made a reservation, but I don't have AppleCare+. Will they let me come into the store for my reservation, add AC+ then and then replace the phone for $180 total or do I need to buy AC+ beforehand? I tried earlier but it deleted itself out of my cart on the app because I didn't have a qualifying product also in the cart.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

So what do they charge out of pocket to fix a screen/replace a phone? Unsubsidized price?

e: Never mind, I have AppleCare on the phone. I was confusing it for my MacBook Air, apparently, which isn't covered.

e2: Wait, they don't differentiate between AppleCare and AppleCare PLUS do they? Isn't it just Plus now?

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 22, 2015

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

carry on then posted:

Yeah, the only warranty you can get on iPhones is AppleCare+, the + just means accidental damage program.

Thanks, I also just confirmed that on selfsolve.apple.com if anybody else needs to do that. First good news of this poo poo-rear end day.

The phone slipped out of my pocket at work, fell three feet onto concrete face up. The irony is I had it out of my case because the case was too grippy and I was afraid I'd fumble it one day pulling it out of my work pants. :v:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Is Applecare+ worth it now that I'm on Verizon's model of monthly installments that lets me upgrade every year versus my old AT&T two year subsidized contract?

Also, can you still purchase AC+ on the spot at any point in the Apple Store (like if you need to replace the phone six months in), or is there a window from date of purchase?

I bet Verizon doesn't let you upgrade after a year if the phone you're trading in is borked anyway, though.

I forgot Applecare was even a thing when I was jumping off the Galaxy ship last weekend, and the salesperson didn't mention it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Pivo posted:

Did you pay for the phone with a credit card that offers warranty extension? I have it on my Amex and my Mastercard, and the Mastercard is a no-fees card. It doubles the manufacturers warranty up to a year, so because AppleCare+ is an extra year it makes sense to just claim against your credit card's insurance than paying to insure it with Apple too.

I don't think I have that on my Visa, no.

Or if I do, I don't know about it. I actually got the card through the Apple Store when I bought my Air a few years ago.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

i'd like to replace the front and back glass on my iphone 8 plus. i don't have applecare; i bought the asurion insurance from verizon since they cover loss/theft.

i don't believe my insurance will cover it since my phone is still functional-- i just want it looking and feeling nice again after it's taken a couple tumbles over the past month (there's a big deep gouge on my front panel and the back glass is crushed in the camera corner).

does apple still do this for a price? i haven't been to the fruit stand in ages, been dealing directly my provider for years. since it's just the glass, and the phone is still perfectly functional, would it be cheaper/better to just roll into a ubreakifix and let them replace it? i have those all around me, and they advertise they can do it in an hour. has anybody used one of those joints, i see them everywhere in my area.

i also do not want to attempt this myself, i've seen it done, and i don't wanna mess with it myself.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

i've got a replacement phone coming today from asurion. before i send my phone back to them, i should delete all data from it, correct? or will they want to do that?

i don't like the idea of putting a device with all my personal data in the mail.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

They will probably require you to turn Find my iPhone off and reset, yeah.

yeah the only thing i've seen so far from them is to be absolutely sure i turn off find my iphone, but nothing else about what is expected beyond that.

i can't imagine they'd hit me with a charge if i've already factory reset it before sending it back, but i've never done this before, so, :shrug:

hopefully the instructions they include in the shipment specifies.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

When I watch YouTube on my 8+, using the YouTube app, sometimes the screen will pull up the video controls as though I've touched it (like where you can see the pause, previous video, next video and progress bar icons), though my fingers aren't anywhere near the screen. No screen protector, clean screen, nothing that seems like it would set it off.

I notice no phantom touches in any other app or on the home screen. Anybody else experience or know anything about this? Google just takes me to 6 and 6+ phantom touching problems that was apparently an issue then.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Skeezy posted:

I believe this is a YouTube issue because I've been having the same issue on my 8+. Been having no issues with any other app except YT.

Cool, thanks for your input. I've even made sure I had an app on every space on my home screen, and I've still not noticed any apps opening on their own or phantom touches while actually in any app. Glad I'm not alone in seeing this and can stop expecting my phone to start being weird in other apps.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

How well do the 8+ and X (and presumably the XS) wirelessly charge while in a plastic case, or does it work at all? Which wireless charger is the recommended one to get?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Okay, thanks. I didn't know if different wireless chargers had different technology based on different phones or something.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Manufactured scarcity also makes people want a thing more. People getting up early to line up outside apple stores before they open for a couple weeks is good advertising.

And any people they piss off doing this are still hardcore enough to get up early and line up outside apple stores before they open, so.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

When I say manufactured scarcity, I don't mean Tim Cook is ordering half their factories shut down or something. I just mean that Apple, a trillion dollar company, certainly has the resources the spin up more production to get a phone into the hands of anyone who wants one week one and doesn't because there are advantages not to do that.

It's a good look for a company to have a desirable product that's selling out every day. Not to mention they probably don't exactly know how many that number of people who want to buy one week one actually is.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I still don't think you have a grasp on how many iPhones, the fastest selling consumer product in history, they have to produce every day. This isn't just Apple, this is also ramping up every single one of their suppliers to also produce they pieces they need.

" Apple sold 77.3 million iPhones over the last quarter. That's a lot of iPhones. So many that quite a few people have said that they just can't get their heads around it.

Let's break it down.

That means that for the 91 days that spanned the quarter Apple sold 849,450 iPhones a day, or 35,393 every hour, or 590 every minute. That works out at almost ten iPhones sold a second, for every second during that 91-day period. "

I'm not an Apple shill, I'm just in awe in how they can accomplish this feat every September.

Okay, fine, fair enough. I guess I just looked at their coffers and my sense was they could accomplish anything they wanted if they felt spending the money was worth it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Old X cases aren't going to work for XSes if only because there's now an extra speaker hole on one side, correct?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I had that issue with the 8plus before I bought the One True Case.

Mine did one of those improbably slow slides off the TV stand in my room where I put it at night. TWO HOURS later, it finally made a break for freedom and clattered onto the glass shelf, startling me awake and making me freak out thinking something had stuck my house outside.

Case4Lyfe

what is the one true case

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I may grab an XS tomorrow at Verizon: do I have to buy Applecare at the store or can I do it at home?

My iPad had like a 60 day limit before I couldn't purchase it. Not sure how it works for phones.

e: Apple Store app says 60 days too, neat.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 22, 2018

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Got an XS when Verizon opened this morning, and it lived in my pocket til I could get to the fruit stand to get Applecare+ and a forest green leather case.

So far I love it, coming from an 8+. This form factor is exactly what I wanted, able to use my phone one handed again without thinking I'ma drop it. Also super light. Gonna be nice at work when I'm juggling multiple things and need to look at my phone.

First phone with an OLED screen and panicked when I first noticed the hue changing to a cooler temperature when the viewing angle changes. Apparently that's just par for the course on OLEDs, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Face ID is a lot better than I thought it'd be too, worrying about missing the home button. Super nice that the phone will just quickly scan my face for logging into accounts instead of asking for my password or taking a moment to remember to put my thumb on a sensor.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I actually just started using widgets recently with my previous phone and now the XS, is there a way to get new ones for apps that seemingly don't have one by default? I'd like one for battery that worked like screen time, like what you can see in the battery settings but at a swipe and glance rather than digging through that settings menu.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

i think any qi charger works but you actually want a 10w charger with a fast charging adapter to get the most juice as quickly as possible, iirc.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I would get an 8+ before paying $750 for a 720p screen tbh.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Taima posted:

It's just such a niche concern. How many people are really clamoring for a return to Touch ID? Even on enthusiast geek boards like this hardly anyone seems to care that much.

It would be cool to have both, I guess, but I wouldn't give up anything for it, that's for sure. That being said, if they can bring Touch ID back with no downside and without compromising any other aspect on the phone, then bring it on I guess.

i really, really liked pulling my phone out of my pocket already on the home screen. face id works better than i'd feared, but it'd be nice to have both.

i don't need a home button, but a fingerprint sensor tucked into the apple logo on the back solely for touch id stuff would be preeeeetty great.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

conditioning's spot on-- when i'm tired every so often i still find myself trying to click a home button to go home on my xs, but i never owned an x so this is still new to me.

also today i traded out my leather forest green case for a midnight blue silicone case, and i think i much prefer this silicone one. the leather one's nice, and i'll keep it as a backup, but i think the silicone one has the grippiness i need. i very nearly slung my phone away yesterday pulling it out of my pocket.

also feel like this one's never going to let my phone slide across a table or countertop, whereas the leather one still felt slick.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I have a couple of these which have an LED, but it shuts off after like 10 seconds, which seems like it fits your desired outcome, at the very least. It has micro-USB for power if that's what you're asking for, but not a full USB port.

do you just use an ipad or iphone ac adapter for power? it says it doesn't include one.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I have an Anker 6-port USB power thing I have stuck to the side of my nightstand that I have it plugged into. An iPhone or iPad adapter should work fine, though.

cool, thanks for the heads up on this, i picked one up, though they're out of stock until 10/4. must be a post-iphone launch rush on 'em.

Blinkman987 posted:

All this talk about charging and definitely not enough making GBS threads on Apple for selling me a $1,000 device with the worst power adapter possible. It’s so unnecessary and insulting.

it definitely sucks, but as the one upside to the xs and xs max having relatively small battery sizes is it shouldn't take them too long to charge on a normal charger :v:

(i do just use my ipad one though)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

any recommendations for phone cases for the xs? i have one coming in the mail next week and would like to have a case ready for when it gets here

just avoid stuff that says it works for both the x and xs. the xs's camera is just a hair bigger so it'll likely have trouble fitting into something that was made for the x.

i'm really liking the apple silicone case even if it's super overpriced.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

So how did the people who have an XS already get theirs? I preordered mine via T-Mobile the day it was available and I still haven't gotten mine

I walked into a Verizon store on Day 2.

They were out of white 64's but still had black and gold units.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Weedle posted:

What if you like Face ID but you also like having an extra $250

Buy android?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

The XR will have an LCD that doesn't display 1080p video.

It's kind of a budget phone at a non-budget price imo.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Maybe restore to factory settings, set up as new phone and slowly add back apps until the culprit's found?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I use (generic brand) Lysol cleaning wipes to clean my phone, and have for years.

There's zero chance I'm not properly santizing this thing just about every day after all the disgusting poo poo I touch at my job.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

LPG Giant posted:

I’ve been having issues with keyboard lag in Safari on my iPhone X for the last couple of weeks. It’s quite reproducible: I open up Safari, tap the address bar and start typing. After 3-5 letters everything freezes. After a second or two the missed input gets put there anyway, so it is really lagging.

This only happens in Safari, no other app. If I turn off my content blocker (1blocker X) nothing changes. It’s persisted through all the updates. I’ve resorted to using firefox because of this!

Any other stuff I could do/troubleshoot before nuking from orbit with a wipe/restore?

I used to have text lag really badly on my iPhone 8+, like, when it was new. Turning off predictive text fixed it, I believe.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can’t you just rewrap a box and call it unopened? If they’re collecting the drat thing to keep unboxed how can you even check if it’s legit?

There's ways to cross check the serial number online to see if it's ever been activated, and experts can typically tell the difference between reseals and factory sealed boxes.

That being said that EverythingApplePro guy has posted multiple videos of him opening "sealed" product and finding that it was just a reseal lol.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just lick your phone clean, dumbasses!

It’s free!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

drat. Was looking at just getting a cheapo burner until I decided what to do but nobody seems to do prepaid flip phones anymore wtf. Thanks for the insight though!

Walmart does, at least where I live.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Phones are slippery enough that the mere curvature of the Earth will gently caress you up

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

nwin posted:

I don’t get the hate for the SE battery.

The results I saw put it just ahead of an iPhone 8.

It’s an iPhone 8 body with different internals-are people pissed because they didn’t upgrade the battery to match newer phones or do the internals actually cause the battery to drain quicker than an iPhone 8?

A sub four hour use battery in a 2020 phone isn’t good.

It also wasn’t great in 2017* but standards and expectations do change over that long of time for phones.

They probably put as big a battery in there as they could since this phone only exists because they have 8 parts to use already, but there are lots of potential buyers who want/need their phone to last as long as possible.

e: *at least IIRC. I had an 8+ that I thought lasted forever but maybe big phones spoiled me.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 29, 2020

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

On a two month old iPhone 11 Pro:

This week Google Maps has been giving me trouble in terms of accurately tracking my position for a few minutes at a time a couple times a day but today no GPS app is able to track me right.

I’m a courier and use RoadWarrior to plot my routes and use Maps or Google Maps to navigate, and this is really frustrating. The phone still finds me on a map accurately every time I pull up a map app, but the app won’t update in real time as I drive. It’ll freeze for 5-15 seconds, warp up to where I am and then freeze up again.

It’s been awful all day, and I did update last night but I was seeing this exact behavior yesterday, it just didn’t last long and wouldn’t happen at all in Apple’s Maps.

Is this what a dying GPS looks like or is this just buggy software? I’ve rebooted the phone, turned Location Services off and on again, same poo poo.

e: and now it’s working correctly. What in the world.

e2: broken again. This is incredibly annoying.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

On a two month old iPhone 11 Pro:

This week Google Maps has been giving me trouble in terms of accurately tracking my position for a few minutes at a time a couple times a day but today no GPS app is able to track me right.

I’m a courier and use RoadWarrior to plot my routes and use Maps or Google Maps to navigate, and this is really frustrating. The phone still finds me on a map accurately every time I pull up a map app, but the app won’t update in real time as I drive. It’ll freeze for 5-15 seconds, warp up to where I am and then freeze up again.

It’s been awful all day, and I did update last night but I was seeing this exact behavior yesterday, it just didn’t last long and wouldn’t happen at all in Apple’s Maps.

Is this what a dying GPS looks like or is this just buggy software? I’ve rebooted the phone, turned Location Services off and on again, same poo poo.

e: and now it’s working correctly. What in the world.

e2: broken again. This is incredibly annoying.

My phone worked correctly last Thursday, Friday and this past Monday and has been showing this problem again all day yesterday and today. My GPS is still finding me, but not tracking movement at all in Apple Maps or Google Maps, occasionally warping up to where I am then freezing again. I’ve done everything short of restoring your factory settings, but I’m not sure what that would do that Reset All Settings wouldn’t.

I’m about to reach the end of Verizon’s customer support, what’s the best way to get help from Apple with stores being closed? Go through their website?