Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
On IOS7/8 is there a way to get to control center (or at least some way of controlling the currently playing music) other than to swipe up from bottom twice?

Also, is it still possible to use a fake carrier profile to get rid of the carrier name in the title bar? Unfortunately I'm on "vodafoneAU" :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

carry on then posted:

If the app has gone "full screen" where it hides the status bar (most games) you have to swipe twice, once to bring up a little arrow and the second time to show control center. For what it's worth, it only takes one swipe from the app switcher screen.

Thanks, that's probably a more reliable way of doing it and practically the same as the IOS6 action then.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Hey Siri just started giving stupid answers? It started saying things like "a watched iPhone never boils" when setting a timer and stuff. I can really do without Siri trying to be clever.

Next time she gives you lip say "That's not funny" and she'll go back to the stock responses.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

My silly friend never upgraded his 4s from 7.0 to 7.1, let alone to 8.1. Is there a chance for him to update to 7.1? I kind of doubt it. It sucks that you can't incrementally update to the version that reduces animations and improves performance on old devices. You have to upgrade all the way to the software that reportedly makes the phone run lovely.

You're right; you can't.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

smackfu posted:

It's just the lovely soft-touch plastic they use. It loses elasticity when it gets fatigued enough, to the point where I can touch my bad cable and pieces of plastic flake off.

The earbuds seem to use a different compound that's slicker, and I've never had those fail.

The controls on my earpods stopped working after being flaky for a few months in the connection to the 3.5mm minijack, but at least I got 2 whole years of use out of them before that happened rather than the month or so before the lightning cable frayed away.

Plus the Apple Store guy replaced the earpods for free.

Brock Landers posted:

If you pull your cables out by the hard plastic connector, that won't happen. And why are you bending the cables over and over enough to cause that?

I'm sure this is a factor too, but it's definitely a problem with the plastic combined with the actual hard plastic connector portion of the cable being incredibly tiny/slippery compared to a chunky 30 pin connector.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 20, 2014

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Brock Landers posted:

Your wife is abusing her cables by regularly bending them 90 degrees at the connector. Stop blaming manufacturers for it.

If the $25 cables were made with normal strain relief and a decent sized plug then 90% of them wouldn't break under normal use.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 21, 2014

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

track day bro! posted:

How long should it take to upgrade an iphone5 from ios6 to 8.1? A long rear end time?

I probably shouldve done it through itunes fml.

It's like 2.5GB or something stupid so yeah.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Group chats are worth it for me.

I'm surprised carriers haven't hacked group chats onto SMSes.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

You can do a group MMS, which is what iOS falls back to if one or more of the parties in the group don't have iMessage. It's just been only relatively recently that other phone manufacturers treated group MMS the same way as Apple has.

Can you do this without sending a pic or something? I'm surprised it's not automatic.
(Case study: I sent a message to three of my green bubble "friends" and found out that I had three separate one-on-one conversations going after that.)

obi_ant posted:

Is there something that I can buy to make my iPhone into a tripod without it being "obnoxious"? I really want to use the lapse timer, but I can't seem to find anything to prop up the phone somewhere nice, without it being like some sort of case / stand hybrid.

GPS mount comes to mind. When you unclip the phone clasp from the gooseneck it's not much larger than a bumper case.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Yep, you don't need to send a pic to use group MMS. Out of the box, if you send a group message to all green people, or a combination of blue/green, it'll send an MMS. That started with iOS 5, IIRC.

Do you have MMS group messaging turned off in Settings > Messages > Group Messaging?

I don't have a settings area at all for Group Messaging.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Nothing like this if you scroll down?

What the heck. That option is literally missing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Australia, I guess it could be something to do with my carrier not supporting it. (vodafone lol)
E:F;B

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I don't mind Siri saying dumb cutesy things back to you if you ask it something silly in the first place (ie. will you marry me, etc.) but it gets a bit old when you're trying to be matter of fact. I asked it something, I want to know if it parsed the request correctly and did what I want, not to hear a joke for the 100th time.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

While a class action lawsuit is dumb, it would be nice if Apple would
a) warn you how much space is going to be lost
b) let you downgrade OS versions when they inevitably push the latest half-baked release out

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

I think the updates show the size when downloading + OTA. Outside that, it's already being eaten.

It only shows the size of the package you download, not the portion of that download that may or may not take up additional space by the new OS.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

BrandonLakeTruck posted:

Don't buy the 5s though. I think you'll like the the 6, I just have a problem that is very specific to someone with small slippery pockets and I refuse to change myself to accommodate a phone.

I disagree; I think the 5S is a pretty decent upgrade over the 5.
I didn't want a phone any larger so I decided not to get a 6, and for less money I get a phone with more storage space.

The OP in this case sounds particularly like someone who doesn't want a hugephone and does want 32GB so I say go for it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

It should be grounds for a replacement, but first use a toothpick or something to see if maybe there's a bit of lint stuck in there causing the issue.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

If they're true, why would you upgrade, since the rumors are that it'll be a 5s in plastic?

Might as well upgrade to something even if it's the same guts.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

I changed Siri's voice to a man and I think it's nicer now.

Chick Siri's Australian accent is hideous. Dude Siri all the way.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is Swift the top of your Keyboards list in Settings->Keyboard->Keyboards?

Thanks for this.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

banana allergy posted:

Software updates exist to make your phone better. A phone will usually handle several major updates until it starts to suffer, and by then it's essentially no longer state-of-the-art hardware and you need to decide whether you want to pay for the new fast thing or hang onto the old one until it gives out.

I agree it's a bit funny to have a iPhone 6 and not upgrade to 8.3; he probably has a jailbreak he doesn't want to bring up for whatever reason.

That said, your statement is completely wrong. Software updates exist because it would involve more effort to support multiple different OS versions.

An iPhone will in no way handle "several" major updates before starting to suffer. 2 at most.

Keeping your phone on the old OS is a perfectly cromulent strategy if you're happy with its current list of apps.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Will this let you do something like take an old version of, say, Facebook that you still have, resign it as another iTunes account, and then install it on another phone?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Kaizoku posted:

I've never seen someone misuse 'cromulent' until now. Good job.

Unless your point is that plenty of people do it, in which case that doesn't make it any less or more intelligent.

It's an intelligent strategy because updating is a risk every time.
And let's face it, most updates don't actually add much of note to old devices.

The primary "benefit" to users is that they allow you to run the latest versions of apps.

----

Apple is lazy about supporting old devices.
Developers are lazy about supporting old OSes. Certainly Apple doesn't make their job very easy.

We have a situation where a large number of apps will only support the latest OS major version. A lot of the time they only support the latest OS minor version.

The only way this will change is if a larger proportion of devices are running older OS versions.
This is starting to change for a couple of reasons, although it's probably due mostly to a lack of free space on people's phones.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 22, 2015

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

He probably was, but thanks for clearing that up.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Having said that, it's hard to see why you would choose to get a 5S instead of a 6, even given the cost savings, particularly as someone who wants to keep their phone a long while.

Not only is the 5S basically the same speed as the 6, it's also not novelty-giganto sized and doesn't have weird bands or a camera wart...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm assuming the answer is no because all I can find is people complaining about it, but is there any way to tell siri to not use bluetooth?

As an aside, I can sometimes/usually get Siri to take requests if I use the old school "voice tag" feature of my factory car audio bluetooth integration.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

You *might* be able to do it if you jailbroke your iPhone, connected the iPhone to the company Wifi, connected the laptop to the iPhone using a USB ethernet adaptor, then SSHed into the iPhone as a SOCKS proxy. In theory this would work. But that's pretty insane.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Neurophonic posted:

I think I went with 'ENJOY YOUR BRICK CUNTFACE' when I had a phone stolen. I can't imagine anybody using that feature for anything other than vengeful text. As if you're going to write 'call me on xxxxx if found' rather than revelling in spite.

If you put a nice message on your phone then you might get it back when a passerby picks it out of a trash can that the thief chucked it into.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Pissingintowind posted:

Does Apple warranty their repairs?

My mom had her old iPhone 5 screen replaced at an Apple Store (she paid for it), and a few months later, the screen is popping off the phone.

Yes but it's like 90 days from the repair so she might be SOL.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

That said, if the replacement screen is literally popping out from the rest of the phone and shows no signs of being dropped they might make an exception?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

duffmensch posted:

Is there a way to have Bluetooth enabled (car stereo if it matters) and use Siri through the phone's mic instead of the one connected to the stereo?

If your car stereo phone integration has an old-school "voice tag" feature you should be able to use that to get to Siri.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Does anyone know if there's any way to download multiple devices .ipsw as a "combo update"?
Each file looks to be encrypted or at least incompressible so probably not, but here's hoping.

Edit: has anyone found a definitive list of download links for ios9 yet? Just wasted a few hours downloading the one listed by Redmond Pie only to find it wasn't compatible.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 17, 2015

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

smackfu posted:

I have a friend who doesn't want to see personal texts on their work iPhone, even though it is signed into their personal iCloud account. So we turned it off in Settings, and now if they send a message to me, they show as green SMS, so that's good. But if I send them a message, my phone still thinks they have iMessage and the blue message just goes nowhere.

Is there any way to fix this? Does it sort itself out if you wait a while?

There is a form somewhere on the apple website to dergister your ID from iMessage.

Astro7x posted:

This guy is doing gods work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?EverythingApplePro?videos

Direct comparisons of iOS 8.4.1 vs iOS 9 on the iPhone 4s, 5, 5s, and 6. And then another video comparing if 9.1 helped speed up the 4s and 5.

I think it's safe to say that the 5s is safe for upgrading to iOS 9, but it's going to start lagging on anything older.

Wish he did a similar comparison for the iPads

I lost FakeClockUp in the upgrade and boy is everything slow now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've not seen anyone mention the News app. I thought it was part of iOS 9 and was running in the US on launch day but delayed here in the UK? Am I wrong? It's hard to google 'iOS 9 news' and variants and actually getting info that's useful, and not just about iOS9.

Maybe it's US only? I don't have it either in AU.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Is that new Wifi assist setting not active yet? I don't seem to have it on my AT&T 6 on 9.0

It's at the bottom of a ridiculously long list of whether to use mobile data on/off for every single app on your device.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

5s is fine. It was slow enough after the update but seems better now. The Awful app is actually one of the worst offenders ... You should probably just got with a 6 at this stage though

If he wants the big screen then he should go for the 6, but it's barely any faster than the 5S and has no more RAM. (Arguably less due to the bigger screen.)
It's doubtful that the 6 will have any longer practical working life even if it does get one more OS version than the 5S in say 2 year's time.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 22, 2015

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Snuffman posted:

Well, the feedback page now includes iOS9 in the OS list, so I've submitted my feedback. :)

Thanks for this. Just submitted not being able to resume playing podcasts from the EarPods remote.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

xzzy posted:

Refresher for retiring an iPhone. Am I missing any steps?

1) Disable find my iPhone
2) Log out of iMessages
3) Sign out of iTunes
4) Sign out of iCloud

That's all of them, right?

We seem to be getting to a point where there just needs to be a "nuke everything" button.

Reset All Content And Settings. (quick)

Or just Restore in iTunes. (long, forced OS update.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm surprised that the DND mode hasn't been updated to be more fine tuned. Like during the week I don't wanna be bothered from 11pm to 6am but on the weekend I'd like to have more like 2am to 9am or something like that. I remember the last time I used the scheduled DND mode I kept missing calls and texts from people asking me where I was sitting at the bar or whatever.

Now that you can choose what the silent switch does I'm surprised that one of the options isn't DND.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Pivo posted:

I wonder, should I leave "Hey, Siri" on? I feel like if it's always listening that would be a battery life killer, but I don't know how the feature is implemented, maybe it only listens in certain situations?

If you have a 6S it is not meant to use any extra battery life, if you don't have a 6S it only listens when plugged in anyway.