Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Captain Cool posted:

I took mine in in June with the same problem -- screen popped out at the volume buttons, diagnosed as a bulging battery. I hadn't noticed that my battery life was worse. I got a replacement in store in like 10 minutes, not counting time spent waiting. This was a launch-month 5 so it was well out of warranty.

Is it normal policy to replace out of warranty bulging battery stuff for free or is that just them being cool about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Don Tacorleone posted:

And even when Apple Fan #1 disses apple, there's people saying they don't owe you a thing and Apple knows business and so on...

In this very thread even.

It's a poo poo move, I don't care if any other companies do it or not, Apple should do better in 2014

I think we can all agree that 32 vs. 16 would be better for every user.

I don't think the impact on users is necessarily that bad though. There's plenty of people that don't use their phones to the fullest extent, and for them 16GB is plenty. Someone using an iPhone as a pure work phone probably isn't ever going to break 4GB for example.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Mr. Fix It posted:

I don't think anyone here is under the delusion that it's anything but a naked cashgrab. What's laughable is people thinking that a huge corporation should take a hit on its profit margins for an improvement to their product that will make a tiny fraction of its customers incrementally happier. It's at least tens of millions of dollars of profit at the cost of an insignificant PR hit. They'd be stupid not to try it this way.

I think what's really laughable are the people taking it super-personally. Reasonable people can argue about whether it's a good or bad idea, but it's silly when you get all angry and/or foamy at the mouth about it.

Aphrodite posted:

I'm considering an iPhone this gen, but I'm curious about one thing.

How do they typically compare when it comes to reception? My house is in a weak spot with my carrier. With a Galaxy S4 I got a weak, but useable signal. With my current Nexus 5 I regularly lose signal completely.

I have an IP phone so bad reception at home isn't a big deal, but it would be nice if it could stay connected.

IIRC anandtech has considered previous iPhones to be one of the best at cellular antenna reception.

If you're in a really bad signal area though, there's only so much the phone can do. You'll probably have to charge a bunch at home and/or use wifi calling if your carrier supports it (tmo US/EE UK only for now iirc).

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah don't freak out about the battery or micromanaging it. Lithium batteries are meant to be smarter than you about it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

gohmak posted:

I'll add Yosemite handoff not working on non bt4.0 machines.

How else would you expect it to work?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Feenix posted:

I don't mean to be rude or combative but how are you certain that it is not a bug or a glitch? I've had a bunch of other bonkers poo poo happening since yesterday with the OS. And when I notice that the swipe up is not registering, I have put the phone down on the table and tried many many ways. I'n not saying it's unresponsive until it decides to respond. I'm saying it flat out doesn't work at times and swiping 50 times doesn't change that. Only a reboot does.

Just to make sure this isn't happening while you're plugged in to a charger is it?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

Not that any of what I'm about to ask for help with is incredible important to me but I'm still very curious.

I haven't been a frequent Starbucks drinker since probably my iPhone 4 when I was using the app regularly. Now on my 6 with iOS 8 I've redownloaded the app and loaded some money into my digital card, etc. However, nothing pops up when I'm near my local Starbucks (I'm inside of it right now, actually). Isn't iBeacon or Passbook supposed to appear on the lock screen when I'm nearby? I just want these cool features on my cool new phone but it's not working I think I might stomp my feet.

You have to set a favorite store location in the starbucks app, and then make sure you update your starbucks card inside passbook. The passbook card should have a "favorite stores" section.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

fordan posted:

I think the passbook push functionality only works if there's an app. US Airways sends mobile boarding passes via email with a link to click to add the boarding pass to Passbook via Safari not via their app and I've never had it push a gate change to Passbook. US also doesn't geofence their boarding passes, just uses time.

But I use Passbook fairly often. Biggest use is Starbucks card, then presale tickets for music events/nightclubs/shows and then boarding passes. Sometimes for my rewards cards like Walgreens or AMC theaters.

No I think that just means they have a crummy implementation. As far as passbook is concerned email, safari, or app additions are all the same.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Yeast posted:

See I hear that all the time, but those people are also the ones that take photos of their grandkids at every family event and never, ever move the content off the device (which is fine!) but that fills up awfully quickly.

It's not even a price point argument, I'd love to recommend the 5C to parents and grandparents, but at such a small size, (closer to 6GB of actual user accessible space) I can't.

If you're rolling these phones out in enterprise to make and receive calls and emails and that's it - cool.

But if this is person's personal phone, and their digital life is going to live on it, it's embarrassing.

I guess that's part of the problem - enough of these phones are probably being sold for business-only use that it's justifiable somewhere to someone that this isn't a real problem :(

MindlessHavok posted:

I'm not sure if yours is doing the same thing mine does but I'll be listening to music via bluetooth, get a call and answer it all while connected to bluetooth. As soon as the call connects I just change the "speaker" over.

Seen here, sorta:

When I'm connected to bluetooth in-call the speaker icon will have a bluetooth symbol instead of the sound things. If I press it, it'll give me three options of "Sony Automotive", "Speaker" and "iPhone". Selecting iPhone will let me talk on the phone without actually disconnecting bluetooth. When I end the call the music just continues playing.

I'm pretty sure what someone said earlier is true too - if you answer the call using the buttons on the phone, it routes to the phone.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

Sadly I think this is something specific to Apples activesync implementation. None of the other devices I have at my disposal (android, windows phone) have this same issue, and I can set up 3 or 4 devices side by side and watch them all update except for my iPhone 6+ :(

I can actually watch the other devices connecting but the iPhone just doesn't even try and connect to the server, which blows.

Maybe file a bug at bugreport.apple.com? I'm sure if there's something bad on the iOS side of things someone would want to know about it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Skilleddk posted:

So I'm having this problem with Snapchat, whenever I open it I get the message "connect to itunes to use push notifications". I close it and it just comes back up again, can't use snapchat at all. I googled and it seems lots of people have this problem, but there's no good solutions out there. I did backup / restore but it didn't help anything, still same problem

I really need snapchat :v:

Did you try connecting to iTunes?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Skilleddk posted:

well yeah obviously. And yes I need snapchat for (drawn) dick pics

OK, one never knows :)

I don't actually know the answer to your question, but this might be a genius bar/applecare question. :(

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Cozmosis posted:

All of a sudden, I am unable to send iMessages to certain contacts, and only get replies from their Apple IDs/emails as iMessages. The texts deliver fine but it doesnt even recognize them as iMessage users.

I tried toggling on and off and deleting the text thread. No dice. Anyone seen this?

The last time I saw this, they had actually switched to android on me :)

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

goodness posted:

My friend broke his phone recently and I gave him an old 4 I had. Unfortunately I can't remember the password and it won't let me restore without it. What can I do to get it unlocked besides take it to the store?

If it's asking for the activation lock password, that won't help him all that much because it'll still be locked to your account. Use the apple ID forgot my password thing.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

This, plus they're already selling a fuckoad of apple care extensions on the back of those two no-fault replacements. It probably makes more sense for them to skip the waterproofing to cut down on costs, upsell the poo poo out of applecare and emphasize how great a deal it is because it covers accidents, and then just eat the cost of the people who actually do drop their phones in the shitter.

Do they eat the cost? Last I heard out of warranty free replacements got way more strict post-AC+.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

You better hope and pray Find My iPhone isn't turned on.

Yeah it won't let you delete the old account if that's the case.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

enojy posted:

If you're working with free weights, I'd really recommend getting some cheap wifi device (like an older used Android) for gym use. My phone regularly falls out of my pocket at the gym (benching mainly) and I've clunked heavy dumbbells into it plenty of times.

Wouldn't a used or refurb iPod touch be an easier way of doing it?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

robodex posted:

I had a very similar problem with iMessage between my partner and I when I switched back to iOS; for a while it just simply didn't work and now about half the time I get iMessages from his e-mail. If he turns off sending from his e-mail, iMessage doesn't work anymore (but only between the two of us :shrug:)

I spent like an hour with Apple's chat support trying to get iMessage to actually work before I said gently caress it and gave up, a few hours later it magically started to work again. They wanted him to wipe his phone and restore from backup but at that point we realized it wasn't a big deal.

Anyway, speaking of Apple support, how good are they with (sort of) refunds? I bought a 6 Plus outright a week and a half ago, and yesterday they announced you can now trade in Android devices for credit. If I had known it was coming, I would have held off and then brought in my Nexus 5 when I bought it. Would this be something they'd do after the fact?

I know it's technically a trade-in towards a gift card/credit but I would have used it towards the phone anyway.

If you're not overly attached to the message thread, it might be worth trying to delete the threads on both your phones and seeing if the identity stuff is fixed after that. Make sure the outgoing ID is set correctly in settings though

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

robodex posted:

Tried that, I was starting from nothing anyway and he didn't really care. I mean, it mostly works now, just sometimes I'll get iMessages from his email rather than his phone. But we literally tried everything short of wiping his phone, which we really didn't feel like doing.

Hm yeah if you had already deleted it from both ends then that does sound weird. I wonder if you file a bug with apple if the imessage people would be interested in that sort of thing.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

robodex posted:

I thought about it but I actually have no clue where to do that. The support guy said he'd been with Apple for 4 years and had only seen this once or twice, so it's a pretty rare bug from what I can tell.

I had a few theories of what caused it, a lot of the reports where this happened were people who recently switched to iOS and it was usually with a SO (ie, someone they text a lot.) My thought is Apple something's caching on the iMessage servers for people who text frequently? I'd been on Android for the better part of a year so it's just possible that even though I had re-activated iMessage it hadn't propagated fully.

Mind you, we had activated/deactivated iMessage and Facetime on both of our phones multiple times before it worked, and the last time it took his phone the better part of two hours to reactivate, so maybe the last time we did it it just reset something on their end. I don't know v:shobon:v

To be honest, he's due for a new phone anyway (he's using my old 4S still) so we can deal with the occasional weirdness once in a while.

bugreport.apple.com. You might have to agree to the developer agreement first and it's entirely possible that you won't be asked for more information, but someone does look at those.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah thanks, we just figured that out :)

Its kinda dumb though that you have to choose between syncing all your notes or none of your notes, and its a hard switch that requires deleting all the notes to change. And it defaulted to syncing without me selecting so.

Heaven forbid that I want to sync one or two notes but not everything, Apple.

I think for most people syncing all your notes to somewhere is the right way to go from a data loss perspective.

Unfortunately from what I remember back when notes were new (Snow leopard?) it's kind of a hack on top of IMAP, which is why they show up as mails in your gmail.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Black/grey is always the correct answer.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Biodome posted:

They pushed out an update in 8.3 to enable it over Bluetooth. Your radio has to support it though.

Don't you mean wifi? I'd think transfer rates over BT would be awful.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah his thing sounds like X1. I use a tivo and my own modem and comcast works swimmingly with it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Walmart went through the hassle of getting new machines all while avoiding utilization of NFC. That's all my post was about.

It wouldn't surprise me if an an NFC capable card reader cost slightly more than one without. Walmart seems like the sort of place to care about that tiny bit of margin even if it were better for customers.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Except when new versions run like poo poo on old hardware. My girlfriend has a 4S and iOS 8 runs AWFUL on it, and of course there's no way to downgrade.

Is she running 8.3?

In general the .0s are the biggest changes, and the dot releases are incremental improvements/bug fixes on top of the .0s.

EDIT: bah missed the new page. So many correct replies before mine.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

Finally got around to getting my iPhone 6 with the off-center camera dealt with, because the local Apple Store was always backlogged three days out for appointments.

Was worried I'd have to sit around while they did a screen replacement, but it turned out to be an insta-swap :cool:

What's the off-center camera bug?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

just_a_guy posted:

Even outside the U.S. Apple has standards that customers expect them to maintain. I am not complaining that she has to pay for a repair (she did drop the phone and break it. Although I feel the sixes are more breakage prone) my issue is with techs breaking something and the customer paying for it.

In another note I had also set up an appointment for her to try the Apple watch, no one could tell her how it worked awesome training... Seriously if I trained my guys to answer customer queries like that I would have been fired long ago

Yeah that just sounds weird if that's basically the story. Start with the store manager and walk up the chain for a resolution if you don't get it. Make it clear you don't object to the normal screen breakage fee, but charging for damage that occurs in the tech's possession just seems very wrong if it's an apple store.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Onion Vanguard posted:

Then that's all you lot have to say since I came here asking for advice. Way to be cunts though! :D

Way to be stubborn about the hole you dug yourself into!

Short of showing a photo of your solder job nobody can help you here.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

My next worry is that my friend that works in computer security has zero faith in EMV systems because I guess cards can still be cloned reasonably easily despite the chip? His big worry is that now "card present" transactions will be harder to dispute because front line support agents are just going to be "nah that's not possible."

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

That might be true, but that doesn't mean implementing it is a bad idea. Mag stripe cards are hilariously broken and we should have moved on to something that actually implements modern security theory 10 years ago.

Businesses have to stay agile with this stuff or they're going to continue hemorrhaging money after break-ins.

Oh yeah, it's more of an implementation detail of "banks/customer support can be lovely."

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Yes, it literally works, so that would be my definition of works. Either way, what I said isn't any less true. You can use 3G on Verizon devices and LTE on AT&T ones.

iPhone 5 is kind of split Verizon, Sprint, GSM, and then GSM+Tmo 3G/LTE IIRC.

The Verizon or Sprint models don't have LTE on AT&T or AWS 3G on Tmobile.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202720

Missing AWS on Tmo is "okay" but given how much of their network used that, probably not a great idea to skip out on that unless you like seeing EDGE a lot.

Also yes, absolutely positively make sure it isn't activation locked if it's used. Simply seeing the white "Hello" on setup assistant is not enough to make sure the device is fine, because it may not be activated in that state.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

IIRC Vista isn't even part of the free Windows 10 offer - that's how little everyone cares about it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

CelestialScribe posted:

The reason I ask is because none of my music is on my computer, because iTunes Match chucked a hissy fit when I was switching accounts and now says I don't have access to my library for another 40 days. So I can't download music to my comp until then.

Any chance iTunes match managed to upload successfully to the ID you want? I guess that would make this too easy :(

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

coldplay chiptunes posted:

The library structure of iOS devices and iTunes has ALWAYS been terrible for syncing. You can't have multiple libraries. It just doesn't work that way. Want to throw on a couple files from your work computer but your iPhone is currently synced with your home computer? Sorry, gotta delete everything first.

You're more than welcome to argue that this is stupid and unnecessary, but to act like it's surprising or new is simply daft.

Honestly that's the sort of thing cloud/match library is better for anyway. Add the track to your work machine via Match and then once it uploads to the cloud, it's available everywhere.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

jivjov posted:

Here's a great new kick in the teeth from Apple; I synced by phone to move some new audiobooks onto it from my PC, and iTunes just decided, with no input from me, to erase all the playlists off my phone. All my music is still there, but my organization just got nuked.

Is there any way to restore that, or am I just SOL?

What does iTunes think you have synced? Sounds your sync settings have no playlists.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

japtor posted:

Brother got a new iPhone 6 from work but showed me two weird issues yesterday. First is the ringer not working on calls when silent, I checked the settings switches and they were fine, and it vibrated when putting it into silent so the motor works. Restarting didn't do anything, and he said he already reset the whole thing. I didn't check to see if there was a custom vibrate thing set but I doubt that was it.

The other is in calendar, when trying to add a location it didn't bring up anything. Like normally it acts like a search field for maps and gives suggestions (and current location option), but it wasn't bringing up squat. Maps itself worked, and everything seemed fine in the location and privacy settings.

The phone didn't appear to have a management profile, and the only account on there was Exchange (and not signed into anything else on the phone except maybe the App Store). He'll be taking it to the Apple Store but just seeing if anyone knows any solutions other than that.

-----------

Re game chat, Angry Birds 2 just came out and apparently it's really bad/obvious about wanting your money. So basically just the latest high profile poster child of what can be bad about mobile gaming, particularly in contrast to the first (and billion spin offs?). You take the good with the bad v:shobon:v

And if you still have a 3DS I suggest getting Boxboy! I think it's like $3, and it's quite awesome, if you like puzzles/platformers.

It's basically the same idea as content updates for a lot of stuff now (whether paid DLC or not), just keep people sucked into a game while continuing to attract new players by staying newish. There's usually also rewards to keep you checking in and stuff to make sure you don't leave it forever (hell the updates/events do the same thing), the whole Skinner box game design ideal I guess.

Check the sound settings for calls. You can definitely set it to ring without vibrate there.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

LionYeti posted:

yeah its an official restart

If it's an all out restart instead of a crash you should take that in. Might be hardware starting to go bad.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

I've got a few fairly deep scratches on my iPhone 6 screen, and I'm not sure how. It's alone in my front pocket and always lives in a case.

Jeans rivets?

I have light scratches on my phone from those I suspect, though not deep ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

What's mildly funny is after the latest round of android flagships, the iPhone is still the smallest. Everyone else has gone to 5" or larger.