Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

So, I recently lost my 5s in a swamp kayaking kerfluffle.

Picked up a 6, but didn't pay retail at the Verizon store, so my unlimited data plan is lost in the ether. I don't really use it that much anyway (was a handy back-up when I traveled for work), so I just went with the 6Gb/month plan.

I never really paid attention while I had unlimited, but apparently the phone is using data even when I'm connected to Wi-Fi, which I've been pretty much 100% since I got the phone a couple of weeks ago (working from home right now). Other than just turning off the cellular toggle in the Settings, which I'd like to avoid 'cause I'll forget to turn it back on every time I walk out the door, is there anything I can do to decrease this data consumption? I'm at 1.44Gb in just under 2 weeks of ownership.

Scroll down to the bottom of your cellular settings and make sure "Wi-Fi Assist" is off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

My 6S definitely disconnects from wifi while it's asleep, but I tend to disable most of the background stuff and don't really use iCloud for anything so that may factor in. Same experience with my old 4S.

Not getting email pushes thing sounds like a restore-worthy bug though.

astral fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 2, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Minidust posted:

Re: sleeping and wi-fi connections

My iPod 5c does appear to re-connect every time the screen goes on. However I continue to get notifications, emails, etc the whole time. It's as if it prefers cellular data while asleep... is that a setting buried somewhere? I'm still grandfathered into unlimited data, so it's no skin off my nose for the time being.

Looks like it prefers cellular data for push stuff: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203609

article posted:

iOS devices try to connect to APNs using cellular data first. If the device can't connect to Apple's servers over the cellular connection, it then tries to connect using Wi-Fi.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Khablam posted:

Why this wasn't called 9.2.2 or 9.2.1.1 I don't know. "It's a different version with the same version number" who does that?

Android has been doing this with their monthly security updates too, so you have to look at a separate build string to figure out what version you really have. Not a fan.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is there a way to make it not even ask?

That option on = asks you to join new networks.
That option off = doesn't ask you and doesn't join new networks; new networks have to be joined manually.

Try resetting network settings (Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings) and if that doesn't solve it then go for the restore.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Froist posted:

Do you mean the 6 or 6S? I upgraded from a 5 to a 6S last year and while wifi performs the same, my cell reception is awful at home now - I have to use Skype for most phone calls (and pay extra for the credit) rather than using the cellular connection in the phone. I've tried resetting network settings, wiping the phone and setting up without a restore, etc etc, no dice.

This reply obviously wasn't to me, but I had the phone replaced with a new handset within a week of purchase and both had the same issue.

Does your carrier support wifi calling? That at least wouldn't cost you extra money for Skype credit.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

This would be perfect if it had 2 USB ports.

I've been eyeing this Anker one. I imagine you could use it with a 3+ port cigarette lighter adapter to get the effect you want.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Pungry posted:

The computer is an extremely old Windows laptop that's running iTunes 12.1.3.6, which I believe is the very latest version of iTunes. It is not running any Apple OS.

My SE is running with a 9.3.4 OS, which it was prompted to install today after I got it (and I did install it).

Using iTunes 12.4.3.1 here.

astral fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 23, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

I remember looking those up awhile ago and seeing some for around $30 to $49 that had something that somehow made them better. Im not sure what it was though, maybe playback controls?

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-SoundSync-Bluetooth-Streaming-Multi-Point/dp/B0176G5TRO

astral
Apr 26, 2004

That would make a really good phishing e-mail. Be careful.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Setting up my new phone (Jet Black Supremacy y'all :smug: ) from an iCloud backup, and it seems like everything has come across except for all of my ApplePay credit cards. Do I need to add them all again? Is this some intentional security issue, or did something go wrong?

They're device-specific.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

unlawfulsoup posted:

This thread is pretty long, so forgive me if this has been asked before. Is ios10 taking a total poo poo on anyone elses battery life? I have never seen anything like this, and after a few weeks I know it is not in my head. I have literally seen my battery gauge go down 3-5% in between turning the screen on and off while listening to music. To be clear that is I put the device to sleep and around 10 seconds later lift it up to see the gauge drop. In general things are lovely, but whoa nelly if I use Apple music I might as well be running a supercomputer. On home wifi 20 minutes of apple radio drains around 20% of battery life, which is just ridiculous. I tried restarting and a soft reset to no avail. I really don't want to do a total restore, but I am guessing there is nothing else left to try.

edit: It is on a iPhone 6s + so the phone isn't that old.

Can confirm that my 6s is having horrible battery drain problems after updating to 10.0.x

LPG Giant posted:

A Dutch website claims that its readers had contacted Apple support regarding battery issues, and that Apple support had replied that it was a known issue and will be fixed in iOS 10.1, which will be released this month.

Source: http://www.onemorething.nl/2016/10/ios-10-1-moet-accuproblemen-fiksen/

thank goodness

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Bean posted:

I have an iPhone 6 and Windows 10. When I plug it in, Windows sees the phone fine, it charges, and I can browse pictures no problem. iTunes will not recognize the phone for love nor money, it's insane. I've reset everything, I've used all the cables in the house, nothing. What is going on? Is this something a genius would look at?

This has to be an iTunes issue, since Windows can see the phone, right? I just recently updated iTunes, it worked fine before then.

I had this problem and the fix involved something like going into Device Manager, finding the iphone entry in the list, selecting update the driver, and manually choosing apple's driver and not the random MS driver it was trying to use.

I blame Windows for that one.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Anecdotally, iOS 10.2 hasn't changed my 6s's battery life, but it has been draining faster overall ever since the upgrade from iOS9->iOS10.

As far as I can tell, mine's part of the recall but I'll probably wait to get it replaced until either it starts shutting off randomly more than the one time so far at 20% battery left, or until it's closer to the battery replacement deadline.

fake edit: I don't use iCloud photo library

astral
Apr 26, 2004

You're free to like it as much as you want, but LastPass's attitude towards security is pretty terrible.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

decypher posted:

Yis, this. Thank you.

Also, when did the AppStore search start spitting out ads? gently caress!!

https://i.imgsafe.org/9703f54743.png

I don't use the appstore often enough to pay close attention but that is indeed quite gross.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

realbez posted:

I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered, but does anyone know of a reason and/or fix for an iPhone that randomly fails to ring when called and goes straight to voicemail? Most of the time my calls come through but maybe once every couple of days I get a missed call and voicemail out of nowhere. I have asked people that it has happened to and they all tell me it never rang, just went straight to voicemail. This has happened when I'm happily staring at my phone poo poo posting or something and it will just give me a notification of a missed call. Googling achieves nothing because every website with an article about this tells you to turn do not disturb off. Do not disturb is NOT on when this happens. It is driving me insane.

As a side note, I've found googling iPhone problems to be relatively difficult. Every site seems to have the same canned response to whatever issue you have, and they are rarely a solution.

I've had that happen a few times while at home and my provider made it sound like it's normally caused by bad reception. There are like 4 of their towers within a mile of me though so they were really confused.

e: 6s/sprint, and never had that issue the years I had my 4s/sprint

astral fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 1, 2017

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

I'm looking for an iPhone 4S battery replacement - eBay looks kind of sketchy with a lot of reviews saying the "new" batteries test as used once people put them in

What's my best option?

An iPhone SE.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Worst case scenario: just do it through iTunes.

This is probably good general advice anyway for updating to 10.3 with the filesystem change and all.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Anyone have experience with Dynex (Best Buy house brand) lightning cables? They're on clearance for $2 so that feels like a good price point for a basically disposable charging cable for travel or something.

My regular cables are Monoprice, if there's a comparison to be made.

e: helpful link: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-apple-mfi-certified-3-lightning-to-usb-charge-and-sync-cable-gray/4290013.p?skuId=4290013

astral fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 30, 2017

astral
Apr 26, 2004

jabro posted:

So I washed my Airpods and they are toast. How is the fruit stand on having no receipt? I bought them off eBay so have no proof of purchase.

Did you pay for the Airpods with a card that has a purchase protection benefit? If so, you could check the terms of your card benefits to see if your purchase was eligible and find out how to file a claim if so.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Do they have the little applepay symbol on their devices?

Also is there a reason we can't applepay at gas stations. I've yet to see one. I know some have their own form of mobile pay but yeah

Most of them are still working on even getting chip readers after that last liability shift extension. I imagine they'll support apple pay after that.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

they can pry my SERO-P out of my cold, dead hands

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

My Dad finally went to an iPhone and the software is so unintuitive that he kvetches constantly.

I have never had any problem with it, but I watch Apple presentations like they're prime time TV, enjoy the storytelling of the features and understand how to use them about as soon as they're launched. He's spent most of the past ten years owning first Blackberries and then Nexus phones. So poo poo like "no visible LED blinking to let you know from across the room if you have a notification" irritates him and he learns to live without them, but little software logic problems just keep coming.

The latest one is he uses a wired headset with the lightning adapter to have phone calls that go on for some time, and somewhere in that time the phone's screen goes to black. And he doesn't know how to get the screen to return. Apparently if he pushes home it doesn't return to the call screen but goes to the home screen. I guess I've never had a problem with the screen going black, but I hold it to my head most of the time. (shrug)

And I just confirmed that the sleep/wake button will end the call instead of waking the screen. I guess the only option is to tap the screen?

astral fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 20, 2017

astral
Apr 26, 2004

~Coxy posted:

My opinion is that if you want a:
non-MFi cord - you should buy a whole bunch of yumcha white plastic cable for US$1 and throw them out as they go bad
cheap cord - you should buy an Amazon Basics
fancy cord - you should buy an Anker PowerLine+, especially if you want longer than usual (2-3m)

Edit: just saw that the linked product was indeed a 3m cord. Well, the Anker is more than 3x as expensive, but it is MFi and you know it will actually charge at full speed.

Edit2: they also seem to have a new product, PowerLine II "Dura" which is ugly black plastic but cheaper and more durable (according to them)

don't buy a non-mfi cord for $1 when you can get one that is mfi certified for $2 again:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dynex-apple-mfi-certified-3-lightning-to-usb-charge-and-sync-cable-gray/4290013.p?skuId=4290013

For 10', go with monoprice. They're mfi certified and good quality - my blue version of this has been going strong for a long time now.

Pivo posted:

OTOH I've had bad luck with Monoprice lately. A Lightning cable I got from them died in a few months, and the TV antenna I got from them was absolute shite, I got 3x the channels with an antenna just 2x the price. Also Monoprice shipping is stupid if you're not in the US. Just based on my personal experience I wouldn't order another Monoprice product even though I used to order exclusively from them for cables and such.

Generally speaking, don't buy non-cables from monoprice. The cables that they sell have a fantastic warranty so you should be able to get a free replacement for that lightning cable that died.

astral fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 23, 2017

astral
Apr 26, 2004

~Coxy posted:

I haven't seen a compelling reason to upgrade to IOS10 yet.

here ya go

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207688

quote:

iOS 10.3.1

Released April 3, 2017

Available for: iPhone 5 and later, iPad 4th generation and later, iPod touch 6th generation and later

Impact: An attacker within range may be able to execute arbitrary code on the Wi-Fi chip

Description: A stack buffer overflow was addressed through improved input validation.

CVE-2017-6975: Gal Beniamini of Google Project Zero

e: links with even more info for the curious:
https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/5/15198362/broadcom-wifi-chipset-vulnerability-exploit
https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2017/04/over-air-exploiting-broadcoms-wi-fi_4.html

astral fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 29, 2017

astral
Apr 26, 2004

GoldfishStew posted:

Not updating is far riskier than updating. What a dumb thing to say. There hasn't been an update that has screwed phones for a while, AFAIK. That was a couple years ago that update that caused an inconvenience for an hour or two. I'd say that's less of a risk than someone being able to exploit your phone, which, at this point, is even more sensitive than your personal computer of days gone by.

Yep. The exploit I mentioned is great, too, because it only requires you to be in range of an evil device. No user interaction required.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Luckily, if some of these super obscure security holes do start being actively exploited, you will be able to make an informed decision at that time whether to update your phone OS.

yeah I mean it's totally super obscure and since there are so few targets it probably won't ever be actively exploited oh wait

theverge posted:

This attack is slightly terrifying because the [vulnerable Broadcom] chipset hardware is baked into lots of phones, including the Nexus 5, 6, and 6P, as well as most Samsung flagship devices and all iPhones since the iPhone 4.

but hey go ahead keep your fingers in your ears and continue chanting LA-LA-LA it seems to be working pretty well for you so far

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rick posted:

I don't really know if it's this way in iphones but electronics in general work more poorly as they age because of the thermal paste going bad or the battery/power source becoming inefficient. I half wonder if its this that is happening and people just pay attention to it because of the software change.

People forget about the reindexing etc. that happens after an iOS update, so they talk about how bad the new update's battery life is or how sluggish their device has become.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Killstick posted:

I had the battery in my iPhone 4S changed and now it displays the battery charge as 100% at all times untill the phone dies. I tried resetting the settings and it switched to showing 1% at all times and then not charging after dying. Taking the battery out and plugging it in again got it back to working but it still shows 100% forever. What can i do about this? The shop that changed the battery basically said i was on my own.

Return the battery if you can and then get an SE. It's time.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Weedle posted:

Apple will still replace a 4S battery for the customary $79, right? Maybe a little more expensive than some rinky-dink mall kiosk operation, but you get the bonus of the repair actually working properly and them not telling you to gently caress off if it starts acting weird.

Don't throw good money after bad.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

rear end posted:

Hello! My iPhone 6's battery is dying (55% capacity. Had the phone since release) and I tried to get it fixed at an Apple Authorized service center. They told me Apple doesn't replace batteries on the iPhone 6 (???) and that they'd have to replace the whole unit. I was eyeing the iFixit battery kit but I have a fear of third party batteries.

Anybody know if their batteries might blow up and murder me? Are there any better battery vendors out there? Thanks!

You can try a real apple store or the by-mail thing with Apple if there isn't one near you.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I Am Crake posted:

I bought 1password and I'm very happy with it, although since I've switched to Mac it's largely been made obsolete by Keychain. It's still nice to have an app on your phone that has all your passwords if you ever need to login on a different device.

On a different subject, my iPad has given me three notifications to set a passcode since I've installed the iOS 11 beta. It says "finish setting up your iPad". If this is something that stays I'm going to kill someone.

Do you already have a passcode set up?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Obligatory mention that google play music lets you upload up to 50k songs to stream to whatever without even having to subscribe.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

the humiliated corpse of iTunes

you mean soundjam mp

astral
Apr 26, 2004

iphone XL

astral
Apr 26, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Lol they aren't going to have Touch ID? How's that gonna work for Apple Pay?

wink at the camera to confirm payment, raise an eyebrow to cancel

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I never remember, do the old models' prices drop when the new phones are announced, when they're available for pre-order, or when they are shipping/available in stores? USA if it makes a difference.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Laserface posted:

I dont want to interrupt the new device chat but I have a question about apps, specifically facebook/instagram.

I know in the past there has been dodgy practices by FB to keep the app running longer than it should be, but this one particular thing continues to happen to my girlfriends phone.

we will be having a conversation about something in our bedroom and within 24hrs she will receive an advertisement for that product in her news feed on either of those applications.

for example last night we were talking about the Kakoda trail as a friend of mine recently completed it. this conversation was obviously face to face, not on facebook messenger or anything. today she received an advertisement for Kakoda track tours on her instagram feed.

I know that people get all spergy about apps wanting access to microphone and location and poo poo like that, but I was under the impression that Apples guidelines on that were a lot more strict than androids (where its a blanket permission from the outset of the app, whereas apple devices typically limit the use of those services until you attempt to use them)

this happens frequently enough that it is of concern.

Conversely, I get absolutely zero advertising in my facbeook feed - I dont know how but I dont get any sponsored links or anything else, its all just posts from pages I follow and friends. I get ads in instagram but I dont really use that.

Looking for an answer beyond 'dont use the apps' because I honestly dont think that an app should be allowed to listen to conversations: a lot of the time the phones are asleep so its not a matter of the app being left open either.

does your friend who completed the trail also use social media? advertising will absolutely latch onto terms of pages you guys visit if you're going to use those terrible apps (does she have a content blocker for regular browsing at least?)

jumping straight to :tinfoil:they are listening to us talk:tinfoil: is probably the wrong approach here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Laserface posted:

Look, the first few times I was happy to defend FB and say 'yes, coincidence' but this is uncanny.

my partner is not friends with the guy who did the trek on facebook
he didnt post about it on social media
we have definitely only discussed this in person, not via messenger
we have never even talked about kakoda outside of this conversation

like i said, its happened more than a few times with weird subjects shes definitely not following on facebook or researching on the internet.

can you really say she absolutely did not, on her own, search the web for anything related to the subject?

e: and how close are you to this Kakoda thing? if all these tour things are popping up they're likely going to be casting wide advertising nets to anyone nearby

astral fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 14, 2017