Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Cool, I'm gonna try this. I just migrated back over from android and the app I miss most is Tinfoil for Facebook. Why is Facebook's app always worse than their mobile website?

As an aside, shouldn't setting Facebook to never be able to use location services stop background queries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

bobfather posted:

Sure, it should. But Facebook is also the company that once updated Facebook.app to run as a voip service on iOS. Running this way meant it could keep itself active and running for like 10 minutes after the phone was locked. Facebook got to siphon more data from its users, and users had their phone batteries die twice as quickly. Never trust "free" services.

"Too big to be classified as malware" is the "too big to fail" of the technology industry.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'd assume the recommendation would be to buy a locked iPhone SE from whichever prepaid carrier is selling them for $160 at the moment, though that probably precludes ever using it as a telephone unless you're already on that network, and you won't find as steep of a discount if you want more than 32gb storage.

e: lol I guess this is US-specific

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Am I missing something? If you swipe up from the bottom and accidentally touch the brightness slider, is there a way to turn auto-brightness back on aside from going into the display settings and toggling it?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ah, okay. I figured it might be doing that, but I haven't been able to get it to adjust itself noticeably just by covering the lenses the with my thumbs.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

GoldfishStew posted:

Hoping to god one of the three phones released this fall is an SE classic style phone.

Same, mostly so they don't obsolete my SE early for having a tinier screen than everything else in the lineup.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

BGrifter posted:

Of course not. If they did they'd have Jony Ive talking about the beautiful cutting edge plastuminium that Apple "invented" and how it's the most beautiful substance in this dimension.

Has anyone made a smartphone with a carbon fiber body yet? It works well enough on my dell latitude and it would be yet another justification for $$$$ phone pricing.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The new control center thing is pretty meh. I thought you’d be able to rearrange poo poo, based on the screenshots. I just added a low power mode toggle and all it did was add on mostly blank row on the bottom. I don’t want or need another three items from that list :emo:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

GoldfishStew posted:

Leather case. Flesh on machine like God intended.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lolin' at all the hosed up quote characters in this thread today. iOS has finally caught up to MS Office's text mangling capabilities

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Working for amazon is so close to torture enhanced interrogation that the message was redacted by the NSA for national security purposes.

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 13, 2017

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

My SE isn’t noticeably slower on 11 than on 10.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I bought one of those 4 for $10 no-name lightning cable packs on Amazon, and the two or three I tried all just failed almost immediately and stopped charging. No explosions.

I also one time inadvertently used a friend’s cable that had been chewed through by their damned cat and it made my phone reboot.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Android vendors would have to actually issue firmware updates beyond six months in order to ~conspire~ to slow your old phone down. :laugh:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

A google product is only truly complete when they take it out back and shoot it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Depends on the actual item but $150 for a new, carrier-locked SE in the US isn’t unusual.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with Friendly.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

Has Apple really not fixed the out-of-order iMessage bug yet? I'm on 11.2.5 and it's still broken.

I have to reboot almost daily just so I can text people in a normal message order.

Well gently caress, this just happened to me on the latest iOS. Let’s hope listing items with a timestamp in chronological order is one of those big quality of life improvements in iOS 12

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yup, Facebook is advertising a Facebook-owned VPN so they can sniff all of your traffic (and your crotch).

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You could sync music to an iPhone from Linux back when the 3G was new. The developers weren’t able to keep up with proprietary protocol changes every time iOS or iTunes had an update and afaik it hasn’t worked since.

It was pretty much unusably slow, to the point where I queued poo poo up to copy overnight, but I sure felt like I was sticking it to whitey.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

but is there a reason why they’ve never put anything like 3D Touch on their phones.

They’d basically have to fork android and modify everything in the UI to add 3D Touch, and it would inevitably end up half-assed and useless, especially since very few apps would pick up a new feature for one goddamn phone out of hundreds on the market.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Kill app, launch it again. :shrug: Touch ID does the same thing if you accidentally swat down the touch prompt and it is really goddamn annoying.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Those are actually tiny airliners attacking his head

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Me too, always with iMessage users and always with a “in 2 minutes” time stamp for the message on the lock screen

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I just now realized you can swipe/drag from the right-hand side of the screen to see timestamps in iMessage :downs: :vince:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Kids today will never know the hardship of sending 420 911 to their weed dealer's pager and waiting at a payphone for a call back :corsair:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

See, that’s why I won’t buy $150 earbuds. Not because it’s too much money per se, but because it is just enough money that the question of whether to continue using them after they had passed through my cat’s digestive tract would give me pause.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I’d assume you’d have to eat things yourself instead of feeding them to your cat. But maybe you meant that YouTube celebrities should be categorized as animals and stripped of their human rights, which is an excellent idea

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Spigen appears to make some and the thread seems to like Spigen (for what they are, $10-20 amazon cases)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Is it pronounced "XS Max" or "Ten S Max" or "Extra Small Max" ?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah, 3D Touch seems a lot less discoverable than everything else in iOS, aside from maybe swipe gestures

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Maybe they realized the $13 IKEA version already nailed the apple aesthetic? Or making it charge everything properly no matter how people arranged their phones and watches was too loving hard

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Leaving Google Maps up doing step-by-step directions seems to count as "reading and reference", which I guess is technically true but seems to be against the general spirit of logging how much of my life I waste on shameful procasturbation

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

How do you make Touch ID work with sunglasses? I went to an outdoor festival last weekend and lifting my sunglasses got tiresome. Do you have to turn the attention requirement off?

Stop wearing tiny sunglasses on your thumb.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I have a shattered 3G and a replacement screen sitting in a drawer but gently caress if I'm ever going to fix and boot up the useless thing :effort:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Just slam your face against a hard surface until faceid doesn’t work.

If you're lucky the police will do this for you without even having to ask!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Kiranamos posted:

You guys put screen protectors on? Searching amazon just gives like 10 companies selling what I can only imagine is the exact same thing at randomly different prices. This is for the xs max, if it matters.

I've bought from like three different vendors* that had a lot of mostly-positive reviews on amazon and haven't noticed any real difference after the fucker was on. IIRC Spigen was the "nicest" brand I bought and it didn't come with extra stickers to help align the protector.

*all for older models, not current gen

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

rio posted:

I�m using a different keyboard to avoid the � glitch - I guess the autocorrect is lacking.

Edit: aaaand I guess this keyboard has the issue too

If you really care a lot you can long-press and select the ' character

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

There are also Bluetooth -> FM transmitters, which should work in any car, even ones with receivers too old and basic to have an aux in jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

How can you see the tv's with the army of best buy employees cutting you off and asking if you need anything?

Put the intention of actually buying something in your mind and they'll all disappear