Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

My phone just got scanned by UPS at the distribution centre in my city so... Just wanted to rub it in.

I'm as disappointed as everyone else by lack of OIS on the little phone though. I played with my friends 6 and I don't think I could handle the 6+. Oh well. If the sensor is better than my 5 in low light that's all I need.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Etrips posted:

So planning on picking up a 6S+, any recommendations on accessories? Ideally I would like to get a car mount, some type of screen protector (they make glass now?), and maybe a nice case.

I ordered the dock and it's pretty nice. It doesn't have a mold for a specific phone or anything so it works with any Lightning phone.

My last dock from Monoprice was molded to specifically fit the iPhone 5, but the positive was that it didn't require a lightning cable. The Apple dock requires a lightning cable (not included). It's nice though and Lightning cables are affordable on the aforementioned Monoprice.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

various cheeses posted:

Also how hard is it to get a refund from the app store?

Not hard at all. Submit a support request and explain your reasons and in my experience they always do it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

dexter6 posted:

I don't like the new dock, and had to return it. Feels really unstable to me, the phone feels flimsy and rocks side to side.

Do you have a 6+? My 5 feels fine on it, I imagine the 6S will feel fine too. It's a lot more solid than the plastic Monoprice dock.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

lelandjs posted:

So the "force touch and swipe to the right from the edge" multitasking shortcut doesn't work very well with an Apple leather case on. :sigh:

[Edit: and it doesn't work at all from the home screen, wtf apple]

Should have read Gruber's review.

https://daringfireball.net/2015/09/the_iphones_6s

quote:

The biggest thing keeping me from using this case for real, going forward, is that the raised edge along the side of the display gets in the way of performing edge-based gestures, primarily swiping to go back, and the new press-and-swipe to switch between apps with 3D Touch.

A bit of an oversight on Apple's part ...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Khablam posted:

It might seem really crazy but the best solution to unwanted apps is to delete them.
"Starting fresh" isn't really thing on iOS; I've not done this since the 3G release day and my 6 is identical in performance to any other.

I might have to 'start fresh'. Over my past two phones, Siri simply doesn't work. My microphone works - calls work, recordings work, video audio works - but when I activate Siri, she hears silence. After a second or two it pops up a list of suggested things I could say. Siri simply does not work on my phone, despite all the hardware working.

I might have to 'start fresh' if this carries on to the new phone. But I've read lots of people on various Apple forums having issues that were solved just by starting from a clean slate.

My install's been from the 3G too ... I guess some config files over time got messed up and they get carried over.

tl;dr: Siri won't listen to me.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

My backup failed to restore on to my new phone, said it was incompatible for some reason even though they were both on 9.0. Oh well. Setting it up as a new phone was fine, synced all my contacts and my music and my apps, just had to re-arrange my home screens again and log in to all of my apps.

I wonder, should I leave "Hey, Siri" on? I feel like if it's always listening that would be a battery life killer, but I don't know how the feature is implemented, maybe it only listens in certain situations?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

No it's like .1mm thicker

http://www.imore.com/new-iphone-6s-thicker-heavier-and-stronger-old-iphone

Likely things will still fit. Don't know til you try I guess.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Its 'Taptic Engine' like in the Watch. The vibe feels much better than in my iPhone 5, which ... I'm not sure, I remember they switched back and forth between the rotating vibrator and the linear one. Anyhow, it does feel better in my short experience. And I think the taptic feedback for 3D Touch is quite intuitive, since you can feel when you're pushing too hard. There's basically three steps: tap, light push, hard push. It's like a camera shutter but in 3 stages. To be honest I quite enjoy it and find it very intuitive.

As for the lockscreen, that bothers me too since I used to just hit the home button to see that and now I gotta hit the sleep/wake button (is that what it's called?) instead. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

3D touch is super cool though. Do a hard press on the Camera app. It's liek WOAH. Do a hard press on the Notes app. Do a light press on an email in Mail.app and swipe left/right like you're on Tinder. It's seriously cool stuff ...

Takes a bit of getting used to.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

~Coxy posted:

If you have a 6S it is not meant to use any extra battery life, if you don't have a 6S it only listens when plugged in anyway.

It's the 6S, sure, but how can it not use any extra battery life? I mean it's gotta be interpreting what's coming in the mic, that's CPU cycles no matter how you slice it. I just wonder how big of an impact it is.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

GutBomb posted:

In my music library my first song is "A Bitch I Knew" by Snoop Dogg, which can be a bit embarrassing when I have other people riding in the car with me.

Amusing.

Duplicate some innocuous song and name it 'A A Song I Start My Day WIth'.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

How's everyone's WiFi performance on the 6S/6S+? I speedtest at 100/15 on my laptop, 30/15 on the phone, both connected to the same 5GHz 802.11ac network, a foot apart from each other.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

GutBomb posted:

That's a thing? How do they prevent shoplifting?

Well, what's stopping you from picking something up and walking out with it at any store? I'm sure Apple has LP like any other store, except they would have proof you paid delivered to their smart devices as soon as you do so.

I think it's an app you can download. Apple Store or something. I don't recall how it works since I've never used it, but you basically just pay for the thing with your phone and walk right out, yeah. It was launched a few years ago.

Obviously only for accessories and stuff, not for big-ticket items.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I'm using the Ookla speedtest app on the phone and speedtest.net on the laptop (same thing). I wonder why download over ac is so slow on my phone. I speedtested over 50mbit down over LTE on my iPhone 5... No reason my connection should be so slow on WiFi.

Oh well, hopefully it's not a defect. I do find it strange that even though I'm in a 2br condo with paper thin walls, I get only 2 'bars' of WiFi in my bedroom, whereas every other device I have sees extremely strong signal.

Gosh I really hope this thing isn't defective. A manufacturing error with the antenna could cause this, I suppose. :/

Pivo fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 26, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

You're paranoid. Restore software as new and try again. It's most likely not the antenna.

It was restored as new, and then updated to 9.0.1. I didn't restore from backup.

I'm not paranoid it's just weird that two ac devices see such different download speeds at the same location on the same network, with the phone also seeing a poorer signal strength.

No big deal for now, I guess.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Khablam posted:

The only thing I can think to suggest, is to turn off WiFi assist and try again. It's possible you're using cell-data on the phone without realising it.

Didn't even know that was a goddamn thing. Now testing at 100/15 on the phone as well. Jeez. That's a broken as hell feature.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Could it be there are updates queued in App Store that it's trying to do on boot? I've never gotten an iTunes password prompt on boot, ever... Just the PIN/passcode for the phone.

Activation Lock is a thing, that requires your iTunes password, but... that doesn't sound like what is happening. Maybe that code is getting hit due to a bug, as in the OS boots thinking it's been erased/reset and needs the iTunes password to get rid of Activation Lock?

Dunno. Weird.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Live Photos are actually just a JPG + a MOV so you can export them as GIFs if you want. Use Image Capture on OS X to get them off the phone. Also apparently in 9.1 the shakiness thing is a little fixed - currently you take a photo but after you take it you usually move the phone from your stable position, so the Live Photo looks like rear end. It'll use the accelerometer to detect and not to record that part if you move the phone after.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Khablam posted:

It's blatantly a hard-sell as there's no way the 6 can't manage to, effectively, just shoot video.

Maybe, but there may be a technical limitation. It has to keep the last 1.5 seconds of video constantly in a rotating buffer, then immediately take a full-resolution still image, then record up to 1.5 seconds more of video, all seamless without dropping a frame. Perhaps there is a reason that can't be done on the 6; perhaps switching the camera from video to still to video took too long or something like that. Apple *does* usually backport new features when it's feasible (although I'm sure you can come up with counter-examples).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

GutBomb posted:

Also I don't think the camera needs to switch modes for this. All a phone photo is is isolating one frame of video and saving the frame as a picture file. It's obviously capable of doing both photo and video at the same time because what you're watching on the screen as you take a photo is live video.

It's not true. The video for Live Photos is 720p or 1080p IIRC, the still image is the full 12MP. It is not isolating one frame of video.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Khablam posted:

Everything you're describing is really, really trivial. Phones, tablets and computers have been able to hold 1.5seconds of video in memory for a long, long rear end time.

I'm not claiming that a buffer for 1.5s of HD video is difficult for any modern phone, I'm wondering if the switch from video recording to taking a still photo back to recording video took longer than 1/framerate seconds. Shutter lag is a thing. It seems to me that this would be a reasonable explanation as to why it's not possible on older devices, but it's just a theory.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

FLOOR_MASTER posted:

In fact, it's basically impossible for me to *comfortably* tap the left quarter of the screen with the tip of my thumb.

double-tap touch id without clicking the home button

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

So I just upgraded from a 5 to the 6s (:whatup:), but I've got an issue. Normally at my cube at work I could easily get LTE no problem, now since I've upgraded I'm only getting 3G max here, did I upgrade to a somehow inferior/superior network? Someone explain this poo poo to my dumb rear end.

Even on my 5, when I updated to iOS 9, I got prompted to download new carrier settings.

There is an underpass near where I work, a long one, with a huge amount of railroad tracks overhead.

Usually in that underpass my phone would attempt to hold on to LTE but using data there was nearly impossible. With the new OS and the carrier update, it would switch to 3G and I could get usable data. I'm only in that underpass for about 30 seconds, but now my requests don't time out when I'm in there.

I remarked about this to my friends; I do think the new OS and new carrier settings do change the thresholds for 3G vs LTE. I have no way to prove it other than my anecdotal evidence. But at least for me, I now get usable signal where I had none before, so I'm happy.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Verizon iPhone 6 is considered their 'world phone' model. It supports all the LTE bands the AT&T phone does and is fully compatible with AT&T, in addition to Verizon's network.

Check the model is A1549.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

maybe he applied some filter or some setting on the timeline that isn't compatible with 4K because [reasons] ?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

robodex posted:

Spotify caches everything you stream, so it's likely that. I used to be in the same boat and I'd have to reinstall Spotify every few weeks because it was using 3-4gb with nothing set to be stored locally.

Unless you set the song to 'Available online', the caches should not persist if you get low on space. iOS has a mechanism by which apps can store things temporarily with the understanding that the OS could delete them at absolutely any moment.

Facebook does this too for images and such IIRC.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

buying a 16gb iphone in 2015 is insane and you shouldn't do it

ive been playing only 1 game on my phone lately, fallout shelter, and that fucker's 722MB. I keep Hearthstone around too, that's 1.2GB. That's just two apps. poo poo, Uber is 100MB. Then the OS takes a bunch of space (although iOS 9 is smaller). Then photos and videos, if you take them... Yeah, 16GB ain't gonna cut it.

But maybe my use case is different than yours. For reference, my music library alone is 30GB. I got the 64GB and have about ~12GB left, which I'm somewhat comfortable with. That's almost as much as you'll *start* with.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

how else to convince this guy?

if anything, it'll have better resale value when you decide to upgrade. no one wants the crappy tiny one when they're buying used.

a 6s with 16gb of storage is sort of like putting high-end summer track tires on a Nissan Versa 1.6

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

mAlfunkti0n posted:

The default state is to never delete messages, or you can set it to purge every 30 days and it hopefully will prevent this. I see no reason to keep texts forever, seems silly.

What, you don't want to archive the photos your ex sent you 4 years ago asking you to help her pick out an outfit for the night where she met her new boyfriend?

Casual.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Think I already replied to a similar post...?

No, I have 0 issues with my headphone jack. Have not tried the EarPods, I'm keeping them sealed for when I sell my old phone, but the headphone jack on the 6S is solid. I don't hear any noise and this may be a placebo but I think it drives my NAD HP50s louder than my iPhone 5 did. Max volume is uncomfortably loud now.

Take it to Apple anyway, if you can reproduce a problem with a brand new product they'll take care of you.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Just compared Lightning cable that came with iPhone 5 to the one that came with 6S.

The 6S one looks a BIIIIIT thicker. I mean I'm comparing them side by side with the naked eye, I don't have calipers or whatever, but yeah there seems to be a tiny bit more plastic around the connector.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I had no idea how much Mail was screwing my battery. I'm connected to an IMAP account and it was always updating and apparently was like 30% of my daily battery usage. I set it to Fetch with an interval of 10min and now it's dropped to 8% usage and I'm at 90% battery after nearly a full day whereas I'd have been at about 70% at this point in the day.

edit: hourly, not 10min, sry.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 1, 2015

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Etrips posted:

Do I absolutely have to use my current sim on my new phone? I'm still not 100% sure exactly what a SIM card does.

tl;dr - using cricketwireless on a 4s with microsim. Just upgraded to 6s. How to I transfer my service?

A SIM card identifies you as a subscriber with a mobile network. You do have to use your current SIM, or for some reason if your current SIM is destroyed or incompatible you should go to your carrier to get a new one.

The 6s uses nanosim, so you will need a new one BUT there are guides online that show you how to cut down a microsim to a nanosim. I've never done it, but it looks easy enough.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If you wanna sell your phone, turn off find my iPhone and logout of iCloud after backing it up.

Otherwise you don't have to do much other than restore from backup on the new phone.

Then do a reset on your old phone if you're selling it, once your backup is confirmed good.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I suppose. If find my iPhone is on, activation lock will be triggered if the phone gets wiped. You'll be able to unlock it with your Apple ID of course since its your wife and not a mugger but easier to log out before you wipe it.

Edit: I should note that this is apples recommended procedure when selling or gifting an iPhone

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

manwithoutskin posted:

do you have all your prints saved or what??

No, but both of my thumbs. More awkward to hit the Home button with another finger than to just click Sleep/Wake.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Out of context this thread reads like it's so racist

What I got out of it is that you guys prefer the big white ones that you stroke and hold up to your face.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

TheQat posted:

Why would Facebook not show up in my list of apps under Settings>Privacy>Location services?

Apple leather.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

iPhone 6 on ATT. So I can pay some nerd to unlock my phone, and then plug in a prepaid SIM card in my phone in Australia and it will work?

You'll have to unlock it yourself, nerd.

You have to send a Device Unlock Request to AT&T. It costs money up here in Canadaland, knowing telecoms it probably costs money there too. They tell Apple to unlock your poo poo and then you just do the setup process again or restore from a backup and voila, it's unlocked.

And yes it will work in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Monday_ posted:

Not really sure where to post this, but I'm using an iPhone 6 so if there's a fix maybe you guys would know. I live in NYC and take the subway daily. Most of the lines go both above and below ground, and whenever I go from below to above, it takes about 30 seconds of being above ground before I get a signal. Is there anything I can do to speed that up? I'm on T-Mobile but I don't know if it's specific to them or just a problem with how cell phones work in general.

I don't think there's much you can do. Aggressively hunting for signal is very draining on the battery, IIRC the interrogations are done at full power, so phones try to keep the rate down to preserve battery. I don't think it's a configurable thing on ANY cell phone, really... At least I've never seen one where you could configure that, iPhone or otherwise.

It's a problem for me too on Toronto's subways, sometimes. There's occasionally an above-ground station and I wanna shoot off a quick text, but we're back in the tunnels before I catch a signal. Lame. But then again, the knowledge that my phone isn't constantly powering the radio trying to find a tower while I'm underground is a bit comforting, and lets me play my stupid games longer.