Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Check the wifi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Remote desktop on a 6s+ has been great. On the 6 it's just a tad too small. I can't believe this is even someone asking that other people might have different use cases that like a bigger screen on a phone.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Umm that's the new Apple pink charger. Totally official. Thank you very much.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Vanellope posted:

Yeah, my husband and I share the passwords for utilities and stuff like that. And we have a joint bank account so we both have access to everything.

I just don't want people having access to my conversations. I have a lot of close friends who confide in me and I'm just not cool with people going through those texts, you know? If there was a way to lock iMessage with a different passcode I wouldn't care if people had access to my phone though. I don't really care about people seeing my stuff, I just don't want to give people access to stuff that isn't mine, if that makes sense.

Guess what. You're dead. Try not giving a gently caress.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Yeah pretty much you loving nutbar

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Let me let you in on a secret. She's seen it.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Xp, 1 gig flash drives and old software are the bees knees don't ya know

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Just got a 7+ from a bell store easy peasy

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Just got a 7+ from a bell store easy peasy

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

RhoA posted:

Eh, I don't want to pay for iCloud storage so I still backup to my computer.

lol. I also can't afford to eat at mcdonalds.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Ineptitude posted:

I have an iPhone 6S with the battery problem (rapidly drained battery capacity when used outside when it is cold)

We don't have Apple stores in my country so i would need to send the phone in to Apple to get it fixed under warranty, and potentially be without a phone for weeks. This is not possible for me considering how much i use my phone, both professionally and personally.
I checked with a local repair shop and it is surprisingly cheap to get my battery replaced so i am thinking of doing that.

Does replacing the battery wipe the contents of the phone?
Does replacing the battery change the "device checksum" for apps such as OneTimePassword Generators for my bank and/or other online services?
Do unofficial (but serious) repair shops replace the battery differently than Apple themselves do?

Usually you can let Apple pre charge your credit card for the price of a new phone then when they get the old phone back they remove the preauth

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

wooger posted:

Does anyone else have recurring freezes / locks in ios 10.3.1 ? I'm on a 6s plus FWIW.

This happens maybe a couple times a week - normally after waking the phone from sleep.

Either I'm on the homescreen and pressing any app icon won't do anything.

Or I launch the camera from the lockscreen and it becomes incredibly slow and locks up for 60+ seconds.

Or occasionally an app I'm actively using will just stop responding, and the home button, sleep button don't do anything - no option by doing a soft reset by holding the sleep button.

I've seen a few complaints about this online, but no solutions. I'm very suspicious it's related to the new filesystem APFS, which clearly hasn't had much testing compared to what's normal (takes about a decade in the wild to trust a new filesystem normally!).

Yes I'm getting this as well on a 7+. Music app freezing constantly, haptic feedback for the home button works but doesn't do poo poo all. Really annoying. Hope they fix soon

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You do know that the repair gizmos Apple uses would tell them immediately if the battery was third party via firmware right? Ya fuckin goof

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

now do it to your dick

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
My 7plus is so loving stupid laggy since 11 and they broke exchange and fixed it my Bluetooth is studdery garbage half the time and gently caress this dumb update you assholes Apple loving pricks dick nose cunts get a god drat clue stop planning your poo poo updates around release of new phones or fix the ducking bugs then shove them in your eye sockets to get an idea of how poo poo it is

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 1, 2017

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I subscribe to both Apple Music and Spotify and Spotify wins for features and music recommendations. The playlists are top notch and being able to control your Spotify from your phone playing on another device is inexcusable that Apple Music doesn’t have it.

Apple Music has better quality music and a bunch of stuff not on Spotify, but their recommendations suck, the app is pretty crap design wise. I also appreciate having all my local stuff not on either streaming service.

They all suck gently caress you get both problem solved sorta.

I wish all my playlists synced instantly between iTunes and Spotify.

Blech

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a_xShfo_w8

Same WiFi, both opening fresh from force quits.

Spotify much faster to load the new music views.

Your internet stinks
https://youtu.be/69Ytdcq8wY4

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

iajanus posted:

Lol this os is buggy as gently caress

The battery meter disappears whenever I go to the home screen.

I can go into apps and it'll come back, then disappear on the home screen.

I get this too and a reboot is the only fix

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What if there’s two people with two phones two Apple Watches and airpods 😱

hosed up if true I know

serial killers, people leading double lives

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
None of what you asked can be done. Family sharing is basically for an adult and their kids. That’s the only use case.

Maybe the kids and their elderly parents too

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

xzzy posted:

Old people behavior is a big mystery to you now but wait until you're that old!

There's gonna be a lot of 'oh gently caress this is not fun.'

People like familiarity. It’s just a matter of giving that to some groups and a totally opposite group. Just about finding patterns

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

endlessmonotony posted:

Entirely pointless.

4G with MIMO does that job better. 5G only shines when it comes to the frequencies actually dangerous to humans (because forecasting).

5G was released so raw it's at best doubtful any of its core problems will be solved before it's already 6G.

Even the event coverage is "???". It would be fascinating to see what are limits of 4G, and what are just limits of installed tower capacity.

This is stupid and makes no sense. Please stop.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
The tech is fine, but it’s going to take a ton of money and upwards of 5 years to get to the point where people are like “oh cool, 5g”

By that point the 5g label will be old and bland and they’ll move it on to something new and fancy like “super cellular” and you’ll get a gig in a speedtest and your stadia games will run like greased lightning and you’ll plop your phone into a cradle at home which creates wifi 6 in your house and all your devices magically start using your cell phone as the modem then Verizon will up the cost of your cell / home internet / modem rental to $250 a month and bwah ha ha ha ha

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

cebrail posted:

What is it with Americans and iMessage

Helps to weed out the poors in capitalist America

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Latency would have been fine at those speeds. 30/40ms. Underutilized tower or close is my guess

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Okay so with Apple's Express Replacement option... I'm a little unclear on a few things and the Apple person I spoke with on support chat wasn't exactly clear either. So for those of you who have used it...

- This option is only through AppleCare+ and not in the default warranty, right?

- They said your phone could be new or refurbished and you'll get a notification asking you to accept this. Do you get a choice?

- Do the refurbished phones come in a sealed proper box as if they were new?

And basically, if you got a refurbished phone as a replacement, were you satisfied with it?

You can do the same thing without AppleCare+, you give them your cc and they put a hold for the amount of the phone, then return the old one. If you don’t return it you get charged.

Don’t know if what I got was refurbished or new but it was fine. It had plastic on it, doesn’t come in a retail box.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Anyone ever tried Bitwarden self hosted in a business? Any gotchas to know about?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Weedle posted:

the youtube ecosystem is so lovely that i can't bring myself to subscribe to it even though i actually want to. i've been paying $10/mo for streaming music for almost a decade now and i watch enough youtube that i would gladly switch over to youtube music and pay an extra $4 for ad-free videos, if youtube music weren't so loving annoying. there's no dedicated youtube music app for my tv, it often gets confused between the album versions of tracks and the edited/live/remixed versions, and then there's this poo poo

between all that and the aforementioned refusal to support PiP i would just be paying $14 a month to be constantly irritated. plus if youtube music ever actually did get good they would probably discontinue it within the year

Lol if you aren’t subbing to YouTube premium, Apple Music and Spotify every month.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Protocol7 posted:

YouTube Premium makes sense, but both AM and Spotify? :thunk:

I sub to all 3 and they all have their pluses and minuses. Spotify is better at discover weekly, Apple has better integration with all my other Apple poo poo and better live radio. YouTube is YouTube.

Hate ads, and love music.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Anyone using Bitwarden Enterprise and have any comments on it?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Martytoof posted:

I was watching Japanese news yesterday and there was some quick “tech minute” segment about some android phone with an under-glass fingerprint scanner and it just reminded me how much I am going to lose my poo poo if this isn’t in an iPhone by the time I’m ready to travel again. I’m legitimately thinking of downgrading to a phone with a fingerprint sensor so I can use Suica for both transit and payments without having the phone stare at my face.

Lol what a hill to die on.

You won’t see under glass fingerprint readers on iPhone.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I like my MagSafe charge adapter and never have the problem described by OP.

Get rekt.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Either is fine and it is so tower dependant that arguing which is better or worse is futile.

5g does seem to chew my battery like crazy though.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Wheeee posted:

Google is an information company, advertising is just part of how they generate revenue. Most of the data they collect from users is anonymized and analyzed in aggregate for purposes of services development and systems training; if you’ve ever gone from using Google Assistant to Alexa or Siri, even ignoring the comparisons of other services, you understand just how absurdly more advanced Google is than their competitors in the data science and machine learning games. Part of why they scrape so much random data like the cars scanning wifi thing is for training ML models to make inferential connections with data.

They also collect a substantial amount of personally identifiable information which is keyed to you for the purposes of advertising and personalizing services, which is the more publicly controversial activity, but Google doesn’t sell or share any of this data—save sharing your address with a vendor you purchased from and the like—with other parties, which alone puts them above almost every other company. They also provide you with access to their collected data on you and the ability to delete it. As always, you have to take this poo poo with a grain of salt, yet as far as what’s publicly known Google handles your data more transparently and with more control to the user than almost any other tech company, and I only say almost because of Apple.

Part of what convinced me to try an iPhone despite years of ambivalence toward iPadOS was the promise that Apple’s systems and technologies were developed with privacy and security integral rather than dependant on policy, and with Apple proving that promise to be marketing bullshit it’s hopefully going to prompt a lot of people to start paying more attention to this broader issue, if not actually force an internal shift at Apple.

I think you’re wrong

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Bad Purchase posted:

For battery health, slower charging is better and less heat is better. Wireless charging is less efficient and creates more heat compared to wired charging at the same speed. It's not a huge effect, but over months of use these things will make a difference. It's hard to find actual tests with phones because of how long it would take to do a controlled study, but you can find some that just look at lithium batteries in general. Here's one that compared battery performance between 25 C and 55 C over ~250 charge cycles, and found that the difference in capacity degradation was around 9% at the hot end vs cool end of that range. That is probably larger than you would see in real life, but the point is the effects from temperature are real and measurable, and we're not talking about burning hot temperatures.

On my last phone (iphone 8), even slow wireless charging with a basic Qi charger caused the phone to get noticeably warm. I picked up a magsafe charger and 20W wall adapter to try with my 13 pro, and it also gets hot charging that way. If I charge it from a USB port on my PC with a lightning cable, the phone occasionally feels slightly warmer than room temperature, but not much.

Anyway, I agree that you shouldn't micromanage your battery, it's just not worth the hassle to think about every day when in the long run the only difference is whether you pay $50 to replace the battery at 18 months or 24 months. There are some simple things you can do that don't require any extra thought or attention, though. Like if you have a charger next to your bed where you always charge overnight, or you leave your phone charging on your desk during work all day, use one of the old 5 W chargers. It will be better for the battery in the long run and fast charging doesn't matter at all in those use cases. Bring a 20W adapter with you when you travel.

I do wish that I could tell my phone to just stop charging at 80% like my Macbook does (when it sits on the charger all day), since I really don't need the full battery capacity to get through the average day and I know ahead of time if I'll need extra juice. I wish I could do that with my car too, which is a plugin hybrid, and unlike a phone those are gonna cost 100x more than an iphone battery to replace if they go bad.

12 pro max that charges via wireless and has been plugged in to cable fast charging whenever it needs it since release date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

kefkafloyd posted:

This started happening to me too. I hadn’t really been assed to fix it, but some light searching of the Waze forums gives this:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/bizarre-waze-bug-on-carplay-causes-music-to-use-only-some-speakers-148665.html

Might give it a try next time I drive with Waze. It’s specifically a waze problem —gmaps and apple maps are fine. It’s erroneously triggering the navi voice on startup and won’t release it until another “navigation sound” (like a waze alert or direction voice) triggers.

Combine that with the constant “Guest Wazer” and being stuck at a previous location, it’s getting really annoying. Force quitting fixes those problems, but not the navi voice one.

Why Blame Apple for poo poo waze code