Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

If you want to use the phone in a "one handed mode" like the Note for extended periods of time then it just sounds like a large phone is not for you. Apple's solution sounds like the best compromise, although with the back navigation button being on the upper left I'm worried it will make using Reachability necessary too often. I'm going to a 6+ from a Nexus 5 (a 5" phone) so I'm already used to not being able to reach all of the phone with one hand all of the time, but I'm also used to having a back button on the bottom that's easily reachable.

People are ultimately going to find the larger screen worth it to get used to using two hands more often (which I think I will) or will just hate it and go back to "normal" sized phones. The exchange rate of the 6+ will be interesting.
Edge swipe gestures :eng101: (...except not all apps support it :argh:, but many many do)

The problem isn't the back button, it's whatever other stuff that apps put at the top. Or Notification Center :laugh:

89 posted:

.....where else is a dude supposed to put his iPhone?
It's meant to be used, so hold it in your hands 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

It's disconcerting that the 6 is more fragile than the 5. I've stated before that my 5 has taken quite a few tumbles into hard ground a number of times over the last two years and it's in perfectly acceptable condition. I have friends with shattered and cracked screens way worse than mine.

I'll have to be extra careful with the 6. No way I'm putting an ugly case on my phone. Well... maybe no way :cry:
It's almost as if you've been completely lucky with your drops.

Like this guy :v:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS8f-hVsDzA

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

lelandjs posted:

I'm sure there's an obvious answer but why not use the Gmail app?
Maybe he doesn't like the Gmail app and/or just wants to use built in Mail. Or doesn't know about the Gmail app :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

By the way, 6 Plus is a lovely name on the level of Nintendo's handhelds (3ds, 3dsxl, 2ds, new 3ds). Ugh.
They could always start using Extreme again. Or Pro. And I just realized Plus was an old Mac thing too.

kernel panic posted:

I got my new 6 today and everything seems perfect, except for the fact that whenever I scroll on a light background there seems to be something like a bar pattern on the screen - light and dark, about 8 different sections, almost like a backlight defect. Has anyone heard about or experienced anything like this? Googling turned up nothing.
Can you link a specific example? Kinda curious wherever it's just a solid light color or if there's a subtle pattern, the latter can cause some funky effects on LCDs.

Damo posted:

They surmised the lovely FPS has to do with the down scaling the 6+ has to deal with constantly. I figured the 6+ would take a hit in GPU performance due to the scaling, but yeah, pretty surprised how big the hit actually is. I'm sure it only noticeably impacts the performances of the phone in games with complex graphics, so you likely won't see it in normal day-to-day usage. Hopefully.
Not the scaling*, simply the raw resolution. The 6 is drawing about a million pixels, the Plus has to draw 2.74 million pixels, with what appears to be the same GPU.

*And I vaguely recall OpenGL and other stuff being able to draw directly to the screen pixels without scaling so the scaler should be a moot point anyway.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flavor posted:

cough cough MobileMe rollout cough cough stolen iPhone 4 prototypes cough cough

This changes nothing for me, I just want to see them fix it quickly.
Never forget the iTunes update that wiped hard drives if there was a space in the name :911:

appropriatemetaphor posted:

So as someone who has trouble sliding a 4s in and out of the front pocket, and usually shoves it in the back pocket and sits on it on the train, am i just going to destroy an iphone6 if i get one?? do i have to buy some loser case to protect it? i wanted to try shoving a 6 in my pocket in the apple store but was worried it would look like i was stealing it or something since they had like cops all over covering the massive line outside.
Yeah I imagine it'd be an issue unless your back pockets are loose and high enough to avoid pressure or something. Outside of some really hard cases I'm not sure they'd make a difference.

At least your phone isn't like this :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzVCaPqrtUw

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

I tested the digital image stabilization on my 6 yesterday just walking on a train platform and it was creepy how much it smoothed out. I'm sure OIS is even that much better at it. It was actually kind of jarring to watch because it almost took the life out of it if that makes sense? Like if you watch a video someone took while hiking you sort of "feel" the footsteps that are represented by the shaking, etc. This just makes it seem like you're floating around like a spooky ghost or something. I find it odd that there doesn't seem to be a setting to turn it off anywhere because I'm sure some people might want to retain that effect.
With the amount of manual controls they exposed in iOS 8 I wouldn't be surprised if that was an option to devs... which I'm sure will lead to a ShakyCam app for 99 cents.

(as far as 6 and 6+ video stabilization, I think one review mentioned the 6 did a little better there actually)

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Both! She takes it correctly but as soon as the picture is produced its orientation is off.
Tried just restarting the phone, or at least the camera app? My brother in law had what sounds like the same issue where the orientation just got stuck it something. I suggested a restart at the time so I figure he did that at some point, haven't heard him mention the issue since.

various cheeses posted:

What exactly is the wifi issue? Is it where your phone can't find a single loving wireless network? Between this and at&t's lovely throttled service which doesn't load pictures half the time, there may be some problems.
I've noticed something on my iPad at least (I don't use the phone as much while on WiFi), anything out to the web just dies periodically. Like I can remote into a computer on my LAN fine and see pages loading fine there but the iPad itself can't get out of the LAN. It comes back after waiting a bit or toggling WiFi off and on.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The wobble is from the rolling shutter.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

Also audio sounds a bit flat over bluetooth, even with the new high bandwidth option that they made to try and fix that problem.

I mean the audio is good enough and I use it daily, but when I swap to a wired connection there's a pretty noticeable difference. I like bluetooth audio, I just don't want it to be the only option.
Whats the high bandwidth option? I know about aptX but Apple doesn't support it, it sounds like AAC is supported but I'm not sure how common it is.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For the direct connection mode I remember seeing some articles saying it required the minor revision that came out. I thought it was just a die shrink or some minor inconsequential (to the user) tweak but apparently not :iiam:

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I guess I don't understand what adhoc is but I didn't think you could be connected to two wifi connections at the same time so if I was communicating with the ATV then I couldn't be connected to an actual wifi connection at the same time.
WiFi Direct does magic stuff and allows direct connections between devices while maintaining connections to access points.

Well efb there but WiFi Direct is the name of the spec that does fancy stuff like that, there's also some Bluetooth involved that plays a part in how Apple is doing their proximity based features.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dorkimoe posted:

Anyone having issues on their phones with upside down photos? My iphone 6 when I take a photo it turns out upside down....
Yeah my brother in law had that, someone else in the thread earlier too, orientation is buggy it seems. Try killing the camera app, if that doesn't work a restart should do it.

Feenix posted:

Holy poo poo Apple should just make screens like post it notes. Scratch it? Peel off top layer.
If it's good enough for race car windshields and helmet visors it's good enough for us.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Amber Alert posted:

But that one video on the Internet of that one guy putting unreasonable amounts of pressure on the weakest structural point on the incredibly thin device made of non-fictional materials showed me that my phone will both arrive bent and be a jello-like consistency merely due to its proximity to the pocket of my tighter-than-skin jorts.
That's what this stand is for

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

spongeworthy posted:

Has anyone purchased an aftermarket 2.4a charger for their iPhone 6/6+ that seems to be reliable/quality?
If you happen to have a stupid amount of USB crap to charge this one has been good for me. Might only be 2A for the iPhone though.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

EDIT: Just finished restoring and setting up as new. Wifi speeds are still incredibly slow- like 3 minutes to load the front page of wikipedia slow. Great. What now? Do a DFU restore? I think that was the thing I had to do that once with my old iPhone 4.
Got any other wifi access points you could test with to confirm whether or not it's the phone itself? Otherwise I'd mess with your access point, check for updates or at least restart it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

NinetySevenA posted:

I got my 6+ Friday afternoon, and I was walking home tonight, (Saturday) and I pulled my camera from my back pack and my headphone cable got caught in my mini tripod and pulled the phone out of my pocket. now my one day old phone's screen is cracked to poo poo. This is the second time out of all my cell phones that I have cracked a screen, I'm going to try to go to the closest Apple store tomorrow and get a replacement and a case.
Think about picking up some Bluetooth headphones while you're at it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I hope you meant Panera because Pandora Bread sounds like a bad time.
Maybe she started making really good bread after that whole box incident.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you happen to have a stupid amount of USB crap to charge and want to save on power plugs there's USB power bricks like this. No clue how safe it is but it hasn't burned down my house or hotels I've stayed at (yet).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flosofl posted:

From what I understand, it also dips directly into your bank account to bypass credit card fees. I'm sure it will be totally secure, because their track record is so great with that kind of information.
Don't forget that it passes more fraud liability onto the customer! And asks for health information! :psyduck: (I'm sure it'll be used for extreme analytics/targeting but still weird)

quote:

After his investigation of the app, Aude told me “CurrentC borders on the creepy line” due to it pulling health info. He also that found that its Terms Of Service leaves high liability for fraud to the user if someone else is able to get access to a user’s phone and make CurrentC payments.
From here: http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/25/currentc/

noirstronaut posted:

So, like, how long do you think it'll be before big retailers realize how idiotic CurrentC is and switch back to NFC?

quote:

In January 2013, Fierce Retail reported MCX had been asking retailers in 2012 to pay a big upfront fee from $250,000 to $500,000 to get on board, and sign three-year mobile payment app exclusivity deals with MCX. Retailers who signed up may have had a one-year grace period from the start of their exclusivity contract to bail out of the deal. If Apple Pay gains steam early, some retailers might look to take advantage of this option to ditch MCX. However, if deals were signed in 2012, that grace period is long gone but retailers may be coming up on the end of their exclusivity agreements even though CurrentC hasn’t launched yet,
...so late next year at the worst?

Confusion posted:

In usability CurrentC does seem to be lacking, but anything that breaks up the visa/mastercard duopoly on payment processing is bound to be good for consumers in the long run.

CurrentC is also inherently more secure than a creditcard payment as (unlike with creditcards) not enough information is given to the merchant to make a repeat payment.
But the newer cards/readers are more secure too afaik. The big advantage is businesses not paying card fees (or needing newer terminals, although that's unrealistic I think), and they get more info from the customer. It's not like they're going to use the cost savings and pass them onto the consumer.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

What happens in less than a year when all (or at least certain) retailers are required by law to accept chip and pin or whatever the gently caress those wave style transactions are called?
From what I've been loosely following, it's not technically required...but without them the fraud liability shifts to the retailer, so realistically they'll still have to move to them anyway. But hey with CurrentC the liability shifts to the consumer so they'll be in the clear :downs:.

The Apple guy in the payments thread he made mentioned they'll probably go to that stuff eventually. If that's the case I figure it'll just make it easier to accept Apple Pay whenever the exclusivity agreement runs out, unless MCX makes them buy some dumb rear end hardware that locks out standard stuff.

flosofl posted:

I thought I read that most of those expire sometime mid-next year. That plus Apple Pay is why I think there appears to be such a scramble to get it off the ground.
TechCrunch had this: http://techcrunch.com/2014/10/25/currentc/

quote:

In January 2013, Fierce Retail reported MCX had been asking retailers in 2012 to pay a big upfront fee from $250,000 to $500,000 to get on board, and sign three-year mobile payment app exclusivity deals with MCX. Retailers who signed up may have had a one-year grace period from the start of their exclusivity contract to bail out of the deal. If Apple Pay gains steam early, some retailers might look to take advantage of this option to ditch MCX. However, if deals were signed in 2012, that grace period is long gone but retailers may be coming up on the end of their exclusivity agreements even though CurrentC hasn’t launched yet,
If they're worried about fines right now I'm guessing the latter case is true, in which case some time in 2015 would (hopefully) be the end of the original agreement.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FishBulb posted:

I imagine it will depend on what kind of demand there is for a 4 inch screen going forward. If the 5s sells well and consumers indicate there is a market for a 4 inch screen I'm sure Apple will want to keep it up.
And having a smaller phone gives some basic visual upsell and differentiation for the 4.7" model. I wouldn't be surprised if they either kept it around (as 6C or mini or whatever) or killed it off. Or they keep the 5C around forever like they've been doing with old iPads.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

Are the NFC chips in the iPhone/iPad technically capable of talking to each other? Wondering if iOS9 could potentially open up the possibility for anyone who uses ApplePay to not only spend money with it, but also receive money from other people using ApplePay. With Apple taking a cut of every transaction, of course.
Well ApplePay can be used for online payments too so it's not like you need to use the NFC chip at all (beyond the secure enclave of it) or even be physically near each other, but for that there's still AirDrop as mentioned if NFC isn't an option. I guess that still leaves a question of receiving money with ApplePay, particularly since there's no holding account involved like PayPal iirc (...which might have some strings attached like random banking regulations for all I know).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
There's a flash for alerts option in Settings->General->Accessibility but I don't know if it flashes indefinitely or just when it comes in.

Or just hit a button when you come back into the room.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

binarysmurf posted:

I recently purchased a pair of Jaybird Bluebuds X, and everything is wonderful, except that the music volume on my iPhone 6+ is 50% of what my wired headphones put out, even when the phone volume is 100%. I have re-paired the headset several times, to no avail.

Much to my chagrin, when I paired the Bluebuds X to a Nexus 4 running Kitkat, my friend was able to boost bluetooth volume specifically, and the headset sounded AWESOME.

Is there any way I can increase the volume of bluetooth music on my iPhone? What am I missing? :) I'm using a iPhone 6+ running 8.1.

Thoughts appreciated. :)
I'm guessing you're seeing separate volumes at work*, like the iPhone might be maxed out but the headphones have a separate volume level. From looking at the user manual (box 33 down there) you should be able to raise the volume with short presses of the plus button.

*This has been my experience with A2DP stuff at least. When taking a call on the same stuff (which switches to whatever phone/headset profile) the volume buttons change iOS volume, but when back to regular audio iOS and the device go back to their own separate volume settings.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

gypsyshred posted:

This is likely a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway. I have an iPhone 6+ and a pair of bt headphones, the JBL E40BT. They are comfy and the fidelity is nice, but I feel the volume could be louder. Is there a way to make this happen, or are these just abnormally quite headphones?
Not sure if it's the case with those headphones, but with the BT audio stuff I've had there's two volumes, the iPhone volume and the BT device volume. So if you haven't yet, just try maxing out the iPhone volume and then the headphone volume.

(Well there's also the BT headset/speakerphone profile that has a shared volume setting...and in devices that have both, well volume is annoying :downs:)

obi_ant posted:

Is there something that I can buy to make my iPhone into a tripod without it being "obnoxious"? I really want to use the lapse timer, but I can't seem to find anything to prop up the phone somewhere nice, without it being like some sort of case / stand hybrid.
Could get a small portable folding thing like the Joby GripTight Micro, I think the XL size is required for iPhone 6 with a case though going by the specs, and I'm concerned about the reviews saying the holder part broke, but the tripod itself is fine.

I got that tripod recently for :10bux: on Amazon (well it was $9 a few days ago), and for the tripod mount I got this Square Jellyfish one, not big...but not all that small either, and doesn't fold all flat together with the tripod like Joby's thing. If you separate them you can kinda jam them flat together though v:shobon:v. It's got a bigger phone size range than the Joby ones though and seems pretty solid. There's also a shitload of cheaper and different ones out there of course.

Mest0r posted:

I have a RetiCAM phone mount which works well if you're just looking for a tripod mount. It'll actually stand the phone up by itself on a flat surface if that's good enough for you.
Oh neat, I was looking into that one but I was too cheap to spend the extra $10 :v: (well all of it x3 since I got them for my brothers for Christmas too).

Back to obi_ant, the RetiCAM is more secure since it locks in the phone vs the Jellyfish's spring loaded mount. Like the latter is fine for static usage and light movement from what I can tell, but for heavier movement mounted on whatever else the RetiCAM would be a better choice. Unless you want to do portrait video for some reason, I don't think it's possible with the RetiCAM without some fancier tripod that pivots sideways 90˚.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

It's a lovely situation all around. There's no way for Apple to totally prevent it without breaking legitimate behavior.
They could use the new App Store sheet/pop up thing to make it much much much less obnoxious, thought it was weird that they didn't use it cause it's more convenient for legitimate links as well.

(:runs off to the feedback page:)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

BeanBandit posted:

Do you mean put all music into a single playlist? I've seen that recommended before. Why does that make things easier? Is iTunes just less prone to flipping out when you manage your music via playlist?

I've been syncing by selecting albums, and I feel like I'm sitting on a time bomb. :ohdear:
You're doing the same thing as syncing more or less, a different method but ultimately iTunes is still handling things basically. I wouldn't worry too much about it if you're comfortable with it.

The playlist syncing method is kinda like manual management without dealing with the random annoying poo poo (whether bugs or limitations) that can come up with manual management. You can do it anytime without the device connected, and/or if you have multiple devices you can share a single list with all of them.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Yes Man Kablam posted:

Looked at the first post and couldn't see anything there, but basically I just got the 6 after not having an iPhone for about 2 years (last one I had was the 5). My question is, is the battery meant to be this bad? After 1 Hour usage and 4 and a half hours standby since I unplugged from charging I've already lost 11% - I'm used to my iPad NOT doing this so maybe my expectations were too high?
So you're on pace for about 10 hours of usage and 45 hours of standby?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

I project Apple is gonna sell a ton of screen replacements this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILltB8bHxeE
I was hoping that'd be a commercialized version of this guy's thing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If it's Apple locked your best (only?) bet is to try to reset the password online somehow, like hopefully she set up a recovery number or email that she does have access to.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
As far as passworded data and stuff, they're supposed to be backed up if you choose to encrypt the backup. Sometimes an app will store data in a way that doesn't get backed up though, you'd probably need one of the apps mentioned above for that.

For mirroring the screen there's two ways off the top of my head but they require hardware, specifically either AppleTV or a Mac running Yosemite. AppleTV route might be a pain on there though cause you gotta swipe up for control center, tap the AirPlay button, and select the AppleTV. On the Mac you'd connect the phone with USB cable, open up QuickTime Player, then do "new movie recording", and the iPhone shows up as a live source. Course control wise either way you still have to tap the iPhone screen itself, but at least you'd know what's on screen.

japtor fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 21, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Yeah, I don't know what exactly counts as "data" from the app - I just want to be able to open it, and look at my login information, so I can figure out what email address I made up when I registered the account and get the password reset.

Airparrot looks like it might do the trick - you really don't have to do anything on the phone itself to manipulate the apps, or even set it up? Does it just recognize the phone automatically somehow? And yeah, I just have a rather old netbook, iphone, and ipad.

I thought of hooking the phone up to the TV via an HDMI but then I realized I don't have like a remote control or anything to actually open the app with.

Thanks for the help!
In this case you'd use AirParrot to act as an AirPlay receiver. It's the same deal as I mentioned with AirPlay to AppleTV (slide up to use control center and pick device), so at least the touch part of the screen needs to work. Actually all the screen mirroring methods need the touch part to work now that I think about it, so if that doesn't work at all you're boned as far as that stuff. Maybe a ghetto (i.e. cheap) screen replacement could work?

If you just need the email you might be able to get it from one of the app data things. You'd basically go into your phone through the desktop app, look for your app on the phone and download all the data in there. Hopefully your email would be in one of its preference files or something inside (although that seems like bad data security practice, so I'm not sure how likely it'd be in this case).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

Coolness. I was just curious, I'm looking into an Otterbox because I'm going to start riding a bike to work and I need something a bit more sturdy than a Diztronic case like I usually use.
Looked into Tech21 cases? They're pretty thin but can take a fall, Apple Store seems to carry some newer types than on Tech21's site too. The caveat of the impact protection is that they're noticably wide (footprint wise) so it can affect single handed grip a bit, although I'm used to it now. That and the thinness means glass screen protectors are on the verge of being beyond the case lip, although a regular film type would be fine.

I use a Tech Armor glass one myself, they're like $10. Main reason I got it over others is just that they have a lifetime replacement policy. Already got a few replacements for mine and my sister's phones for little chips along the edge...haven't even put the new one on mine since it's generally still fine in usage.

Edit-re: waterproof stuff, doesn't Griffin have some?

japtor fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 25, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Use Siri and say the day/time first.

"On Wednesday at 8pm, remind me to take the garbage out.
Don't even have to change the order, "remind me to take the garbage out Wednesday at 8PM" works fine in Siri too. It's just the iOS Reminders app that stinks. Probably Calendar too but I haven't used that in a while.

Now if you want to type it in an app there's Fantastical...which annoyingly has separate iPhone and iPad apps, but it works well if you just want to use the standard calendar and reminders (but don't necessarily like the apps themselves). And it looks like it's on sale right now at least.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Butt Savage posted:

Just got my 6+, am in love, but need a screen protector. This is the recommended one, no?
Eh it's the one I have on my 6 as well as the rest of my family, I got it for the lifetime warranty. We've gotten two free replacements so far for minor chips, just needed to send order info and a pic of the damage.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Yep. Nothing I've found doing is anything particularly important and it mostly just seems to replace the three-finger tap. I haven't really played around with it too much, though. At least with OS X, it's not really press and hold, it's press then press harder. Like, there's two distinct levels of pressure.
They're messing with some haptic feedback with the vibration apparently, like iMovie got an update that gives a bump sensation or something when dragging things around and reaching the end of clips.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I've always said that what trackpads needed was rumble packs.
If only I could plug in my N64 or DS rumble pack into the desktop Magic Trackpad.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

bobfather posted:

A small sensor only needs a small lens, and fortunately for Apple I'm sure there's still a lot of development that can be done in tiny cell phone camera lenses.

Unfortunately though, low-light sensor performance is utterly dictated by sensor size and pixel pitch. Basically the smaller your light receptor sites (I. E., the smaller the pixel pitch), the worse the noise. Small pitch equates to having "more megapixels", which is fine in good light and looks great on paper, but these sensors necessarily can't also be good at taking photos in low light, compared to a camera that has a same-sized sensor but with larger pitch pixels.

You might then say, well just increase sensor size! But then the lens size necessarily has to increase too. Or you might say, just make the photo sites bigger, and while they could do that, few sensor manufactures do these days because large pixel pitch isn't a camera stat people understand, but the iPhone having only a 5MP camera compared to the Galaxy S7 having 25MP is a bad marketing point for Apple.
For reference, a little bit about that company if you haven't seen it:
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/14/linx-camera-technology-apple/

Doesn't really sound like lenses as much as cameras (multiple ones, and clear pixels?) and fancy software to go along with them.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Christ, why? You can't even buy one of those anymore, and iOS 9 most likely won't run anywhere near as fast on a 4S as on every newer iPhone it supports.
Probably a side benefit of other A5 devices being on sale for so long, and I think the 4S was kept on sale in a few large lower income markets for a year (or two?) after they stopped in the rest of the world.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Doodmons posted:

Is this the right thread to ask for technical help with iPhones? My dad is trying to move all his contacts over from his iPhone 6 to Windows Live Mail for work. Neither of us really know a goddamn thing about Apple products and the stuff I tried after some googling didn't work. The iPhone contacts are supposed to be sync'd with the iCloud but whenever we check the Cloud on the PC's browser, they aren't there. We've also tried telling the iPhone not to sync to cloud to force it to have a local backup and then manually syncing with iTunes so we can move them across to Windows Contacts, but that didn't work either. I assume we're missing something obvious but I'll be damned if I can spot what it is. We can't be the only people to have had a problem with this. Any suggestions?
Sure they're on his iCloud account to begin with? Just asking cause if he had other services (like other email) he might have contacts stored on other places rather than iCloud, if not stored locally on the phone itself (assuming that still works).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

comper posted:

Right, I guess I meant more like if they will explain the issue behind it or just sort of roll it out silently.
Well they sent this out to some site(s): “We are aware of an iMessage issue caused by a specific series of unicode characters and we will make a fix available in a software update.”

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

shootforit posted:

Do you guys have a recommendation on screen protectors for a 6?
I got a Tech Armor one just cause it was cheap and they have free lifetime replacement. Not as fancy as that BodyGuardz one but eh it works.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, the handful of times I've used the alarm, I've never had a problem with it going off when the phone is set to silent.
The alarm has had priority over the silent switch forever, same goes for do not disturb afaik.

I think it uses the ringer volume though (as opposed to the separate music volume) so if that's low enough that might explain missing the alarm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Disappointing Pie posted:

Nope, not at all. So the back bathroom at work is one place in particular it does it every time. Right outside the door? No issue at all, walk in and the thing goes nuts. It's when it has 1 bar of 4G or Edge or even sometimes the circular icon for cell signal.
Try to recreate it with aluminum foil :v:

Is it fine in airplane mode?

robodex posted:

Is there maybe some crazy EM radiation coming from a room close to that? It sounds like something's making the digitizer go nuts.
My guess would've been crazy humidity or something, just some extra moisture on screen could do similar things.

Loucks posted:

We're never going to see a reasonably-sized phone from Apple ever again, are we? I switched from a 5" 1920x1080 screen to a 5s and couldn't be happier. It's a shame that the rest of the world has apparently decided that belt holsters and JNCO jeans are stylish again, because now I have no expectation that I'll be able to replace this phone with something faster when it breaks.

Edit: I sound like a prick. Hamburlgar, I'm happy you like your phone. I'm just disappointed that there isn't an option for those of us who prefer a smaller footprint.
There could be at some point just to replace the low end of the lineup like the 5C (and smaller size would be a better visual differentiator than...just plastic vs metal back then), but rumors have been pointing to that not happening this year. Maybe next year!