Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Scaling is easy. It's the rendering at a higher internal resolution that will have performance implications. Yes, it might run slower.

Well crap, now I'm questioning whether I want the + with under 2 hours to go before pre-orders open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Do you want a phone that's going to be more easily operable with one hand and fit comfortably in your pocket? Then don't get the 6+, get the 6.
Given that I have to go out to various site visits for water/wastewater/stormwater work, I'm one of those iPhone users who loads the phone up into an Otterbox at times. I'm thinking I'd get the belt latch for it since it probably wouldn't fit in my pockets, but otherwise single-handed operation isn't that big of an issue to me (probably easily outweighed by having OIS with the camera).

Celot posted:

Me too!

I ride in the passenger seat of a semi truck about 60 hours a month, so that bigger screen for web browsing is pretty killer.

On the other hand I am a person who wears jeans on occasion, and that screen is gonna suck in my pocket.

I am also able to just barely palm a basketball if my hands are dry.
Yeah, I want the 6+ for the camera OIS, and because I often read on it so the larger screen would be nice. During the day if I want to read SA or other sites, it's pretty much just on my phone at work.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

eames posted:

iPhone 6 is the one to get this time around.
The 6 Plus would have been an interesting proposition for some with what appears to be the "intended" spec, such as full 2208x1242, sapphire glass and a flush camera but they botched it in my eyes. 6S+ should fix all that.

I'd buy the iPhone 6 now or wait for the iPhone 6S+ if huge screens are your thing. Unless you are a ~social media influencer~, in which case you should get the iPhone 6 Plus in gold right away.

I think the extruded camera is on the normal 6 as well?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Have any other phones done downsampling in the past? Could give some slight insight into how performance may be. So far the only reference I have found is Ars' comment about choppiness of the UI relative to the 6, with no other real comment on it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

DaNzA posted:

Now some people are saying that the 6 Plus has 2GB of ram while the regular 6 only has 1GB.

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_6_plus-6665.php

Which could be especially if it has a better chip with higher thermal specs, that was supposed to be used for something like the next ipad.

That page has been up for awhile, but it's just speculation.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

TJChap2840 posted:

I wholeheartedly agree that putting a phone in your back pocket and sitting on it all day is a bad idea, but front pocket?
I remember seeing studies that cell phones placed in the front pocket could impact sperm but am not sure if any more has ever come of it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

So I have an appointment at an Applestore to (hopefully) get my iPhone 5 replaced under AppleCare+ due to the sleep/power button issue and what I think are reception issues due to a couple of drops it took. I bought a 6+ and already upgraded to it - my hope was to replace the 5 and then sell it. Is the fact I already upgraded going to have any impact on being able to replace the 5?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Your warranty with Apple is separate from your cell carrier.

The only caveat: if you intend to apply for a carrier unlock on your old phone, do it before you get a warranty swap to avoid extra hassle with the device ID not matching.

Thanks! I'm with Verizon, so I think the 5 was unlocked already?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

A tomato posted:

And Gmail app hasn't even been updated for the new sizes. Stretched apps are bad. Email's a core phone function. Stop settling people you are all beautiful you all deserve better

Pretty much all major apps will get updated eventually? The world isn't ending.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Trip report: They didn't care about the dings/dents/removed material along the material band and said that wouldn't have caused the signal issues I was seeing (?), but they did confirm that the power/sleep/lock button was suffering the recent issue, and gave me a replacement. I was expecting to have to pay $49 but they didn't charge me anything (guessing because of the button issue?), so hey, a new/refurb phone at $0 cost that I can potentially sell for $250-300 sounds good to me.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Free Lightning cables through Verizon:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/apple-lightning-to-usb-cable/?null

Coupon: 4acc2014309

Seems too good to be be true, but worst case scenario, you spent no dollars on anything.

I must be completely blind but I don't see a spot to put in a discount code? Trying to order the cable via my iPhone at work so not sure if it's an issue with Safari.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

mattfl posted:

The X also has OIS in both lenses vs just the one on the 8 and a better telephoto aperture

OIS on the telephoto lens, while the 8+ doesn't have OIS on its telephoto?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Pivo posted:

yes its the dumbest thing, they put OIS on the wrong loving lens

Dammit, now I might have to go with the iPhone X... and its loving $199 AppleCare.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

gently caress, I just saw that Apple raised the AppleCare + price for Plus devices to $149. This is getting ridiculous.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Is OIS on the telephoto lens a big enough deal to go to the X if I'm otherwise ok with the 8+? I use my camera for construction site photos for work at times and otherwise as a point-and-shoot for family events.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

wicka posted:

I guess some of us want technology to improve instead of just dragging around antiquated features indefinitely because idiot devs can’t learn new things about computers.

I'm not sure MagSafe is an "antiquated" feature.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Could Apple ever go ahead and just add a virtual home button on the X? Or is that what was rumored/patented to occur for some future revision?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I really wish there was a 128 GB tier. I have 25 GB available on my iPhone 6 Plus 64 GB so I'd think the 64 GB is sufficient, but we just had a baby in May and I feel as if there's going to be a lot of photos and videos in the coming years...

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, I had analysis paralysis at 3:00-4:00 am PST about which size to get, but ended up with a space grey 64 GB 8+. Figure after 3 years I still had 25+ GB available and as others pointed out, I can simply use Google Photos or such to back up and manage picture and video storage.

At that time only the 256 GB Space Grey was pushed back... and that still appears to be the case now. Either they've heavily produced these, or sales are going to be way down (initially).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Over There posted:

Fiance works at an apple store and he says people are pouring into the store to see the 8 and X and getting furious. :cripes:

Like coming from over TWO HOURS away

What are they getting furious at?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

False Toaster posted:

Not true. They opted to not include TouchID because they couldn't get a feasible production yield with the on-screen fingerprint sensor (like Samsung with the S8/Note 8) in time. It'll likely happen next year when they can mainstream production or whenever Apple is comfortable fully adopting the tech.

Yeah, I still am holding out hope that they'll put some version of it into a future revision of the X, and I'd buy it on release.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

No, Gruber says that it was decided to get rid of it over a year ago, though it is true they never actually got it working, but it's because they stopped bothering well before production yields would be an issue.

https://daringfireball.net/2017/09/iphone_x_event_thoughts_and_observations

But at this point Gruber is just an Apple spokesman so...

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

One of my questions is, what if the screen/home bar isn't responsive when an app freezes? Whenever Safari has locked up on me the home button was a nice reset option to get out of the lockup. I'm guessing the home bar is similarly triggered but it's been on my mind.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

And then we find out that Apple was behind the Shake Weights creation all along.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Pivo, just... :golfclap:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

I chose to get the 8 because it’s the swan song of a tried and tested industrial design with the guts of the new hotness. Same chip as the X, same specs in general aside from screen and camera. I’m treating these phones like laptops now, tending to keep them for 3-4 years. I upgraded from a 5S so the 8 feels like a huge jump to me. I chose the 8 over the 7 because contact charging and the faster chip seemed like good bets on the future. I expect to have the 8 until 2020 or later by which time the notch will have settled in or been replaced.

Same for me (except an 8 Plus). My wife and I have a baby now so I expect the next few years to be photo/video-heavy. While the slightly better camera on the X would have been nice, I honestly like TouchID and didn’t want to pay the Early Adopter Tax and also worry about how reliable the first gen will be.

Like you said, it’s really refined, has the same processor, has wireless charging, and just a slight downgrade at camera. I used the cost difference between the two to justify getting the 256 GB so we’ll see how long I can get out of it.

(Plus a friend who is privy to early feedback reports has said there’s been a lot of issues with FaceID amongst a larger test base so for the moment at least I feel somewhat vindicated).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

So this might be a stupid question and I’m not quite sure where to ask it, but at work today a coworker brought some 3rd party crap lightning cable by and asked if I could see if it works, because he’s had it awhile and it seemed to have stopped working.

I plugged it in to my PC before unlocking it, expecting to see the notification about needing to approve or disapprove for my PC to access it, but before I unlocked my phone I saw something about a new USB device or such, but I was in a hurry so I didn’t write down the exact message.

I proceeded to tell him his cable seemed to still be working, but now I’m worried that maybe it’s a compromised cable or something, so before my paranoia goes too crazy, I wanted to see whether that’s something to even be worried about (malware or such loaded onto a lightning-to-usb cable).

It’s not a jail broken iPhone but I was traveling so I still need to upgrade to 12.1 (I’m on 12.0.1, otherwise fully updated before 12.1).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

No.

Its probably a lovely cable and they should get a new one.

xilni posted:

If your first action was to come to SA instead of your security officer when you suspect a breach like that, you’re likely not the type of target that that kind of tech is used on.

If you don’t have a security officer or whatever the foreign equivalent is, then short of being a member of organized crime/terrorist group, the answer is no, it’s not a loaded lightning cable.

Thanks guys. For reference, it’s my personal device, so our corporate security wouldn’t/doesn’t get involved. And it was the coworkers personal Lightning-to-USB cable too, but he tends to go extra cheap and buy the cheapest possible cables and charges off Amazon/eBay/wherever that he possibly can. So instead of paying $8 or $10 for even an Anker PowerLine or such, he’d rather spend $5 to get 5 knockoff cables.

And I (again) told him to just buy a reputable brand if he’s not willing to pay for an official Apple cable.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

So if my iPhone 8+’s battery is at 92% capacity, do I try and get it replaced for $29 before the end of the year? I do have AppleCare Plus so not sure how that impacts anything.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

As a soon-to-be new iPhone 11 Pro owner, for someone who goes in the field at construction sites and does site visits/inspections (engineering), I use my phone a lot for photos and such. I also have a 2 1/2 year old who likes to take and run with it. Besides getting either AppleCare + or Verizon's TEC (currently heavily leaning toward AppleCare), what's a good case to use for it in this situation? I had originally been looking at folio-type so I can close it when I put in my pocket or such to protect the screen, but it seems like there really aren't any great folio cases out there? I don't care about storing cards in it, etc., and really just want a screen cover essentially.

Alternatively, I've typically been happy with Otterbox's Commuter line in the past, so I was thinking I could just install a glass screen protector and then use a more normal case?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Apple Store open.. it's like they read my post :/

The 4th gen iPad Air is still unavailable. WTF Apple.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

FCKGW posted:

They're not making a "COVID edition" iPhone with touch ID you idiots

Suck it up and type in your passcodes

I think it's more that they literally just announced the 4th gen iPad Air with TouchID built into the power button, so why not roll that into the next iPhones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

COVID likely isn't going anywhere, and privacy people who hate facial recognition are basically being pushed into the cheapest of phones (for now) which is kind of weird when Apple pushes so hard for privacy.

Like, I won't swear at someone else for using FaceID, but I'd never use it personally.

FaceID is great and I'm a firm believer now after having been skeptical, but there are times (such as wearing masks) where the power button-based TouchID that the iPad Air now has, would also be great, including what you said.

Here's hoping the iPhone 13 14 has it.