Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Can report on my new 6, updated and Touch ID and Cell Service is gone. I'm on AT&T, 64 Gig Space Grey 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Bricked device means something far far more serious than just losing cell service.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Does backing up and restoring to a computer that's not my PC that I normally connect my phone to cause any issue? I usually use my home desktop and I'm at work now and need to fix my 6.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I can update now, but I'm not going near that poo poo until someone else says it's clear.

Edit: gently caress it let's do this.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I have also updated.

And all is good.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Anyone else having orientation issues with their 6? It seems to not want to change orientation sometimes randomly.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
So I've been having a weird issue the last few weeks on my iPhone 6. When I'm in an area with poor reception my phone starts doing this thing where it controls itself.

The screen will be touched in random areas pages will go back and forth, icons will be pressed. I can set the phone down on a counter and it will do it's own thing. Very weird stuff. If I put it in airplane mode then it works fine.

Any thoughts?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

withak posted:

Hackers.

It's so weird!!! I've had this phone since the day it released and it only started doing this a month or so ago. I've done a reformat and everything and it still does it.

It's annoying me but I'm not sure whether it's take it to the genius bar annoying, particularly since I can only prove it does it when there's low reception.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's not plugged in by any chance ?

Nope, not at all. So the back bathroom at work is one place in particular it does it every time. Right outside the door? No issue at all, walk in and the thing goes nuts. It's when it has 1 bar of 4G or Edge or even sometimes the circular icon for cell signal.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

japtor posted:

Try to recreate it with aluminum foil :v:

Is it fine in airplane mode?

My guess would've been crazy humidity or something, just some extra moisture on screen could do similar things.

Yep works great in Airplane mode, no issues at all. There's no humidity, we have air handlers back there because we do ice making in that back room and it fucks with the sensors in the machines.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Yeah the last couple of times I've been to the Apple store for simple stuff (exchanging busted headphones and charging cables) I just showed up and they really want you to have an appointment for anything service related. They still took care of me both times but stressed multiple times that I need to make an appointment next time.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Could you possibly apply for the Windows 10 insider program? As long as you run betas forever you get to keep Windows 10 for free.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Anyone else rocking iOS 9 not able to use the volume button to take a picture? This is like the biggest bug bothering me. Haha. You don't realize how much you miss something till it quits working. I'm on a 6.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
iOS Public Beta here and my battery life has been a bit rougher the last few days. It shows that Facebook Messenger is using 25% of my battery. I only maybe use that app twice a week and I've disabled it's background refresh ability and location to never and it's still eating battery. Any ideas?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I bought a red apple leather case a couple years ago for my 5 or 5S and it got super gross in a few months.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I washed my iPhone and had to get a new one through insurance and it went really well. My question is how the gently caress does a guy get ringtones on his phone preferably without using iTunes. They're on my web server in a backup folder.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Would someone like to help me out with thinking through my choices?

I'm rocking a Nexus 6P currently but like the way the new phone looks so I'm going to get the 7+ 128 Gig.

I have a paid off ATT iPhone 6, 64 Gig that I've had forever and it's in really solid shape.

I'm very interested in a payment plan, AT&T Next or the Apple program. And I'd like to trade in the 6.

What is my best course of action for doing all this?

Can I do this all online and mail in my iPhone 6 to Apple and use them? Or would I be better off going to an AT&T store and trading in my phone to them and getting the 7 on a Next Plan?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I have successfully used Next since it came out with unlimited data and have "upgraded" like 4 times?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Stopped by AT&T today and ordered a 128 gig matte black 7plus. My estimated ship date is October 24-31. Ugh

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Could someone link that bluetooth dongle again in the thread. The Wirecutter has been recommending this Anker system but it's been out of stock for a few weeks now.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Has anyone here ever put one of those glass tempered screen protectors on their phones?

I ask because everybody at work thinks I'm crazy for not having one of them on my brand-new 7+ but I can't stand the thought of having something on top of this nice glass screen. Though I will say scratches on the screen drive me insane.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
For the 6S battery issue do they not have an online serial checker? Looks like you have to call a physical store or AppleCare?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Has anyone had issues lately with Safari and googling things? I'll type a phrase into the search bar it'll load about a 1/4 of the page and then just hang forever.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Anyone figured out a quick way to switch between Bluetooth audio devices on iOS 11? You used I be able to swipe control center up and choose what device you wanted to connect to. Now I have to go into setting to do this?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Heya guys,

Just got my XS Max a few days ago and Face ID isn’t working super awesome for me yet. I’ve scanned my face a few times and added my face again as a second face but I’d say I have to put in my passcode 35% of the time. That doesn’t seem right.

I also noticed when I was playing with the memojis or whatever they are that the camera could barely track my face in a decently lit room. It was super stuttery and lost my tracking until my face was completely turned from side to side.

Does it sound like maybe my depth sensor camera is messed up to anyone else? Or something up there in the notch isn’t working right? Or there’s maybe a trick or two I could try?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

Heya guys,

Just got my XS Max a few days ago and Face ID isn’t working super awesome for me yet. I’ve scanned my face a few times and added my face again as a second face but I’d say I have to put in my passcode 35% of the time. That doesn’t seem right.

I also noticed when I was playing with the memojis or whatever they are that the camera could barely track my face in a decently lit room. It was super stuttery and lost my tracking until my face was completely turned from side to side.

Does it sound like maybe my depth sensor camera is messed up to anyone else? Or something up there in the notch isn’t working right? Or there’s maybe a trick or two I could try?

So I reset, restored, tried a few things. Took it to the apple store. They had me try it in front of them and confirmed it was doing it, then they told me I was totally eligible for a swap with a new device. I was pretty pleased so the dude leaves for a minutes and comes back with another apple guy and they ask if I’d be willing to entertain them and diagnose a few things for them.

So they had me go in the back for a second and do it in a low light situation which was their storage closet I guess to see if it’s a camera or ir sensor issue? And just try a few different things with and without my glasses on in various light situations. Turns out it’s not easy to find a poorly lit area in an apple store. That shits bright as hell. But yeah after like ten minutes of posing and making faces at my phone I was walking out with a new phone and a $50 iTunes card for helping them out.

New phone seems to be working perfectly. So maybe like a super rare hardware issue in the new phones?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Is reception on the XS Max just bad compared to older iPhones? My office is in an old metal building that eats reception. My old phones id at least get a couple bars with occasional drops to nothing. But it seems like my XSMax has no signal more often than it has signal.

It’s so bad I’m wondering if I got a bad unit or I need to start researching cell boosters.

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 4, 2019

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I don't have an answer for you on the supply thing. But I will say this about Airpods. I've always liked the earphones design Apple has, they fit my ear really well unlike most it seems. But I was so so skeptical of Airpods. My wife happened to buy me some for Christmas since she couldn't think of anything else to get me and I'd been muttering about the battery life on my Powerbeats for the last few months.

Those goddamn Airpods are amazing. I've had em a few months now and I use them daily. I walk around the house with em in, I lay in bed using them. I run on the treadmill with them. I listen to a ton of podcasts and things like Critical Role on a lot of different Apple devices, and having them quickly be able to switch among devices is just fantastic.

They may be my favorite Apple gadget. They just work. I'll buy every version of these they put out.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Is there any easier way to organize apps / folders?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Just know once you use something like Overcasts skip silences and pauses and even have a podcast sped up the smallest amount, listening to that podcast live will nearly infuriate you with how slowly your favorite podcast personalities actually talk. I listen to a lot of Giant Beastcast / Bombcast and trying to tune in live occasionally is a trip. You're like wow Brad talks so slowly!

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I also had a crazy good pair of early blue tooth headphones that stretched forever. My friend told me the FCC nerfed bluetooth range at some point? I dunno.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Is the antenna on the XS Max just absolute garbage? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had 2-3 bars of service but I have no data and can’t make any phone calls.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I haven’t been impressed with a phone design since the 4. Like any cell phone. Apple or otherwise. The 4 was amazing. It had this incredible weight to it that something that size shouldn’t have. And it was beautifully industrial. Those solid metal feeling volume buttons. I remember it being a little slippery but I genuinely felt ashamed to put that phone in a case.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Is there a separate beta profile for 13?

Yes there is.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

TVs Ian posted:

Cingular/AT&T Wireless was an odd one. They both had early GSM networks that were compatible, but had two separate billing systems, and the SIMs and phones were coded differently and not interchangeable. In store, we had to convert AT&T customers to a Cingular plan if they wanted to upgrade or otherwise needed a new phone. That was a huge headache if someone was on a family plan and only needed one phone - either everyone had to upgrade, or that one line had to get spun off onto a separate account.

Customer service had a stock of AT&T SIM cards and a few models of phone (mostly older stuff with one or two recent ones with the lock changed), and people could call them to get new stuff and renew their AT&T plans. AT&T's business model was basically "get as many customers as possible to maximize our value when we're bought out," so between that and GSM having some rollout headaches, they offered an unlimited minute plan way before that was the standard, and people were holding onto that for dear life. I remember one guy renewing his contract for three years, I wonder how long he lasted on his Moto V550.

I held onto my true unlimited data plan that was dirt cheap and had no data limits and free tethering for ages. I think it was from being a Cingular customer or at least a very early AT&T customer and I had it until I went to buy a new phone about two years ago. And every year I upgraded it was becoming more and more of a headache so when I went in the last time the dude almost cried on me. Apparently AT&T would do anything to get you off that plan. And made it near impossible to upgrade and keep that plan.

I at first told him I wanted to keep it and he was like I hope you booked your whole afternoon for this. After like the 4th call he had with a person at corporate I relented and agreed to the new unlimited plan but free phone insurance for two years and they threw in a case and extra charger for free. And some $25/month credit for a year to offset the new unlimited price.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hopefully this fixes the Watch battery drain issue. Also I just noticed at some point during this whole PB business my Apple Watch got unpaired from the cellular service plan so I had to remove the plan entire (it was listed as Not In Use) and re-add it for it to work again.

So far it’s fixed my battery drain issues. In fact I’m getting the best Watch battery life I’ve had in ages.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Did Spotify ever copy the Pandora thing of you can like songs and then it builds stations based on those liked songs? I know other apps tried to do it but for some reason none could quite touch how well Pandora seemed to do it.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
My XS Max is scratched to hell, I’m assuming from garbage in my pockets with my phone.

Also the new iOS Beta that installed last night dramatically improved searching for apps. It was terrible up to this beta.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there a single reason as to why asking your phone to do the update overnight is such a crap shoot? It works now and again, but 90% of the time it'll ask my permission to update at 4am or something, I'll give it, wake up in the morning and its still on the old version.

That’s odd. It’s always worked flawlessly for me... do you have a strong WiFi connection where the phone is at night / Plug the phone in? I know there’s a few things it checks for before it’ll try to update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
The specialized iOS apps I use are enough now to keep me on the platform. Apollo, Awful, Overcast, plus it always seemed like iOS apps from major companies have a level of polish that’s lacking on Android.